Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 539010 times)

Sk8 Hawaii and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3450 on: June 12, 2021, 03:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First 9+ board  :D

Vision Lee Ralph 10.25 (Redrilled to ~14.25wb)
Ace AF1 66
Spitfire 54mm 97a Conical Full
Lil Jawns Rails
Tiago Andale Bearings
Random hardware
1/8 Risers
Mob
[close]

Rad!

Was that the OG (no) concave or the modern concave version?

The OG just has the slightest concave through the board and flat nose, only a turned up tail, which was a bit weird at first but worked for a cruiser.

The modern concave version was actually very steep when I stood on one a while back in a shop.
[close]

This is the modern concave, this is gonna be my main rider so I felt like having no concave or nose may have made a lot of tricks difficult. It is fairly steep, but I do a lot of slappys so I like when my feet feel locked in.

Yeah that would be perfect then.

Good times!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3451 on: June 13, 2021, 01:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Anyone know complete dimensions of this?
Specifically width at back truck?

[close]

As per the pic 9.5 x 31.75 with 14.25 wb.

I don't think the dimensions have changed much if at all from when they first came out, but the one I have with 169s and normal sizes wheels fits well on both the front and back, so I am going with about / almost 9" still. 

They definitely didn't taper down too much at the back compared to other boards, and on another similar deck I have 159s with wide Slimeballs wheels which also sits well.

There is one here (on 215s), with subsequent comments after it (some people saying 169 or 159s were good):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg2733082#msg2733082

Another one here (that has 169s and looks perfect):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3120356#msg3120356
It's pretty exactly 9". Arguably 8.9 but close enough that it may just be 9". I had one in a dusty box so I pulled it out and measured it but I did the bottom instead of the top because I had a couple of beers. I would pull it out and do it again but I just washed the dust off my hands.

Vision shapes on modern concave are a guilty pleasure. I have a Gonz on ice for the day that I'm feeling fat and sassy.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3452 on: June 13, 2021, 04:06:31 AM »
You guys got any general tips to wield 9" popsicle?

I've been on my 9" since february, its super comfy everything except that I struggle with learning flip tricks and tech:ier stuff.

Im a big boy so the size fits perfectly but when I flip the trucks into my legs Im dying inside cuz its so hefty.  Is there anymore to it than jumping higher?

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #3453 on: June 13, 2021, 05:49:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyone know complete dimensions of this?
Specifically width at back truck?

[close]

As per the pic 9.5 x 31.75 with 14.25 wb.

I don't think the dimensions have changed much if at all from when they first came out, but the one I have with 169s and normal sizes wheels fits well on both the front and back, so I am going with about / almost 9" still. 

They definitely didn't taper down too much at the back compared to other boards, and on another similar deck I have 159s with wide Slimeballs wheels which also sits well.

There is one here (on 215s), with subsequent comments after it (some people saying 169 or 159s were good):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg2733082#msg2733082

Another one here (that has 169s and looks perfect):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3120356#msg3120356
[close]
It's pretty exactly 9". Arguably 8.9 but close enough that it may just be 9". I had one in a dusty box so I pulled it out and measured it but I did the bottom instead of the top because I had a couple of beers. I would pull it out and do it again but I just washed the dust off my hands.

Vision shapes on modern concave are a guilty pleasure. I have a Gonz on ice for the day that I'm feeling fat and sassy.

Thank you for your efforts.
I’m basically trying to find out if the 9” Aces will be a nice fit or too wide at the back. Cause I ain’t tryin’ to hot rod.
AW YEAH

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3454 on: June 13, 2021, 08:45:25 AM »

I've been on my 9" since february, its super comfy everything except that I struggle with learning flip tricks and tech:ier stuff.

Im a big boy so the size fits perfectly but when I flip the trucks into my legs Im dying inside cuz its so hefty.  Is there anymore to it than jumping higher?

Wheelbase. This won't help with your current deck but if you can find a wide board with a tiny wheelbase its way easier to get tech. Also small wheels.

animalflesh

« Reply #3455 on: June 13, 2021, 08:46:39 AM »
They’ll be fine, no hotrod

Back Truck is I think 8.75 from memory

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3456 on: June 13, 2021, 08:48:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wheelbase. This won't help with your current deck but if you can find a wide board with a tiny wheelbase its way easier to get tech. Also small wheels.

This. Girl loveseat/couch. Flips so easily. I was intimidated by the short WB because of my height but I've had no issues.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3457 on: June 13, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This. Girl loveseat/couch. Flips so easily. I was intimidated by the short WB because of my height but I've had no issues.

Thanks guys, smaller wheels are on my list for next season! But I was thinking riding wise, im very happy with my current polar shape & wb.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #3458 on: June 13, 2021, 10:02:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

WB/ overall length. I just retired a 9” pop that was 33”+. Flirting with a longboard. I’m not tech at all, but even fs rocks were hard on that thing, and some small shit was just unskateable.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:36:29 PM by Nth syd bear »

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3460 on: June 13, 2021, 01:10:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Always loved the Jart 9" popsicles, which are 32,34" with a 14,2" wheelbase. Just ordered a random 9.25" popsicle from a shop without checking for wheelbase, turns out it’s 15.31". Bummer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3461 on: June 13, 2021, 07:22:47 PM »
PJ ladd one off 9' popsicle

9 x 32.25 x 14.2 wb

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/plan-b-pj-ladd-one-offs-9-0-skateboard-deck?_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIldrTDJHQiIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJ3YXJlc2RvdWdsYXNAZ21haWwuY29tIn0%3D

Saw this and thought of this thread..

Yeah I got the email too, saw it and wondered if they had a typo as that length and wheelbase is usually more on an 8, not a 9, but as said, HLC (Jart) makes that size and that is where Plan B come from nowdays.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3462 on: June 14, 2021, 01:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

WB/ overall length. I just retired a 9” pop that was 33”+. Flirting with a longboard. I’m not tech at all, but even fs rocks were hard on that thing, and some small shit was just unskateable.
magic carpet setups have always felt good for flips.
8.75 axles are my limit for bigger boards but would go as low as 8.5 with wider wheels ideally.

hollow/titanium trucks every time
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #3463 on: June 16, 2021, 12:35:59 AM »
im ready for summer - hyped to skate this polar, it's my first ever and the shape is really nice thus far. love the 66s on this deck too, the turn is really nice with the wheelbase as well
the welcome is a cruiser for zipping round town

polar dane brady (wheel wells) 9.0, 14.5 wheelbase
ace af1 66s slightly looser than stock up front, stock back truck
spitfire radials that were once 55mm but are in the 40s now
swiss 6
jessup

welcome 9.25 golem shape pretty much 15 wheelbase, measures to like 14.9
ace 55 classics, wobbly af up front with a busted pivot cup, stock in the back. 1/8 riser
oj mini super juice
zealous
jessup

i gotta say that smaller wheels on a big popsicle definitely makes life a lot easier for popping it, it just makes the whole thing a little bit less hefty. its working well so far on this polar, as well as the wheelbase, being a nice inbetween for transition and street, feeling long enough to be stable but short enough to still pop decently if i'm feeling adventurous.  :)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:43:18 AM by slappy50 »
niggling

[/quote]

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3464 on: June 17, 2021, 12:51:48 AM »

Yeah I got the email too, saw it and wondered if they had a typo as that length and wheelbase is usually more on an 8, not a 9, but as said, HLC (Jart) makes that size and that is where Plan B come from nowdays.

The HLC 9" popsicle is solid. I really want a shape like that in 9.5", preferably with a deeper concave. In my mind, it would be the perfect street deck for someone like me (with very large feet). All the 9+" popsicles I was able to hunt down or was pointed at from this thread are 33" or longer.

pops

• Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3465 on: June 18, 2021, 09:55:45 PM »
Thinking about trying the Polar 1991 shape that is 9.25", should I up my trucks from Ace af1 55s to 66 or am I good with 55s?

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #3466 on: June 18, 2021, 10:50:44 PM »
Habitat 9.75
Venture 6.1
Swiss
Spitfire F4 60mm
Modus 1/8 riser

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #3467 on: June 19, 2021, 12:47:42 AM »
Thinking about trying the Polar 1991 shape that is 9.25", should I up my trucks from Ace af1 55s to 66 or am I good with 55s?
i'd say go up to 66s assuming you can afford it, itll be a much more stable ride and easier to get into grinds with. you could probably pull it off with super wide wheels but i dont think it would be super pleasant to ride. i have af1 66s rn and i gotta say theyre great trucks yo
niggling

[/quote]

pops

• Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3468 on: June 19, 2021, 12:57:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i'd say go up to 66s assuming you can afford it, itll be a much more stable ride and easier to get into grinds with. you could probably pull it off with super wide wheels but i dont think it would be super pleasant to ride. i have af1 66s rn and i gotta say theyre great trucks yo

Thanks, time to get some 66s then. I was eyeing the Boserio 1991 and some list it as 14,375wb, some say it’s 14,5.  ???

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3469 on: June 19, 2021, 04:50:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks, time to get some 66s then. I was eyeing the Boserio 1991 and some list it as 14,375wb, some say it’s 14,5.  ???
yeah splitting hairs, I forgot what I measured it as. 8.75” trucks for well on that too, it tapers in the rear

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3470 on: June 19, 2021, 04:51:01 AM »
Habitat 9.75
Venture 6.1
Swiss
Spitfire F4 60mm
Modus 1/8 riser

habitat makes a 9.75”? Rebranded Dane 1 copy much

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #3471 on: June 19, 2021, 09:19:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Habitat 9.75
Venture 6.1
Swiss
Spitfire F4 60mm
Modus 1/8 riser

[close]
habitat makes a 9.75”? Rebranded Dane 1 copy much

It's pretty old. Out of my trunk stash. Not sure about the Dane (know that is short). This one is 32.125 long with about 14.38wb (cloth tape measured flat against top)

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #3472 on: June 20, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
Figured I’d crosspost from the setup thread

Darkroom 9.125 Mousetrap
Ace 55 classics with the red baseplate
Spitfire f4 tablets 52mm 99a
Bones big balls
Royal 7/8th Allen
Mob
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

animalflesh

« Reply #3473 on: June 20, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »
Looks so good dude

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #3474 on: June 20, 2021, 05:39:54 PM »

Expand Quote

Darkroom 9.125 Mousetrap
Bones big balls
Royal 7/8th Allen
Mob
[close]
sexy af bro, love the red baseplates
niggling

[/quote]

Grip Jobs

« Reply #3475 on: June 20, 2021, 07:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Darkroom 9.125 Mousetrap
Bones big balls
Royal 7/8th Allen
Mob
[close]
[close]
sexy af bro, love the red baseplates

Red baseplates are so sick!! Glad Indy brought those back

2pushSetUp

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3476 on: June 25, 2021, 01:49:25 AM »
Decided it was time to swap over. Thought I'd give the mids a proper go this time round.

Dane1
Indy mids
Spitfire 52mm Conicals
Reds

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3477 on: June 25, 2021, 03:38:46 AM »
I absolutely did not get a long with my Dane 1, but every time someone posts a pic of one in this thread I immediately want to give them a second chance.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3478 on: June 25, 2021, 07:21:28 AM »

Pretty close to an Xmas complete except bearings/hardware.

Heroin Bigger Egg (10”)
Ace AF 77
Spit F4 Classic 53mm
Reds
Jessup

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3479 on: June 25, 2021, 07:34:11 AM »
My 9.25” couch shape was feeling pretty tired so I set up a brand new 8” popsicle. Felt absolutely terrible. Went home and switched back to the couch shape.