Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533823 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3510 on: June 30, 2021, 06:36:57 AM »
@EvenStevieNicks those Indys on the huffer look kind of like an older stage from the hangar shape, but I could be tripping. Anyone more well-versed on the stages able to chime in?

Anyway, nice stuff overall!

EvenStevieNicks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3511 on: June 30, 2021, 06:40:13 AM »
@EvenStevieNicks those Indys on the huffer look kind of like an older stage from the hangar shape, but I could be tripping. Anyone more well-versed on the stages able to chime in?

Good eye. I stopped skating at 31 when my career got cookin' and these were the trucks I was on at the time. I'd say maybe I bought them in 2008/9?

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3512 on: June 30, 2021, 06:44:44 AM »
Thanks for the report and good luck with your knee! The Heroin setup looks so good, following up on the earlier conversation about it I am now fully set on getting one.

Have some 53mm OG Classics that I wanted to sell but might save for the occasion. Also seems like a good opportunity to try Ace, they look perfect on there.

My wallet hurts but it’s good to go in and try out new stuff once every decade or so. ;)

Thanks pal! I'm on the mend, I just have to be patient. ACL reconstruction and meniscal repairs/trimming so I'm not gonna do an ollie until next summer in all likelihood. Good job I enjoy just going for jam around the neighborhood!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3513 on: June 30, 2021, 07:13:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good eye. I stopped skating at 31 when my career got cookin' and these were the trucks I was on at the time. I'd say maybe I bought them in 2008/9?

Makes sense then, so probably stage IX or X...and the 169s from that era were 160mm IIRC.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3514 on: June 30, 2021, 11:01:35 AM »
Stage 10 169s had an 8.9" Axle, I think. Stage 11 9.125".

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3515 on: July 01, 2021, 09:01:45 PM »
Finally nabbed a Krooked Beamer. What a journey.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3516 on: July 02, 2021, 03:03:55 AM »

They came in to AU in the most recent Project Distribution DLX delivery as some went out to a couple of shops I saw, but they are still super limited.

Where did you get yours and for normal board prices or crazy "Grosso collectors" type of price?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3517 on: July 02, 2021, 05:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They came in to AU in the most recent Project Distribution DLX delivery as some went out to a couple of shops I saw, but they are still super limited.

Where did you get yours and for normal board prices or crazy "Grosso collectors" type of price?
Someone in this thread put me onto Prject, so I hit them up a few months ago and they called me when they came in. Legends. Then  I put the order in with my local skate shop and they sent it to them with their next order. I got it for $260 AU which with exchange rate and the rest seems fine. I’ve justified it as it’s basically like buying 2 boards. And it’s rad as shit.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3518 on: July 02, 2021, 10:10:18 AM »
Here’s where I am at with my current setup exploration:

Gonzales Sweatpants 9.81
169 Indys with Bones Hard bushings and 1/8" risers
F4 Conical Full 99A 56mm
Bronson G3

Been skating this setup for a while, both street and bowl. Last change was going up to 56mm Conical Fulls, which has been a mixed bag. Super smooth, fast, and controlled especially on rough ground, however the board is quite draining to pop and really hard to flip. Gives me a lot of confidence, but I can feel my pop fading mid session already.

Crailtap G048 9.25
169 Indys with Bones Hard bushings
F4 Tablets 99A 54mm (down to 52mm)
Bones Swiss

First session on this board today, really enjoyed the short wheelbase and overall shape. Getting a good pop out of it and flips feel more achievable (I suck at flips, but not ready to give up on them just yet). Ordered a set of F4 Conical Fulls 50mm to try on this, hoping they will make it feel even lighter and more direct, for the lack of a better word.

I have this hunch that I might go back to the Jart 9" popsicle when they become available again, but I am really enjoying these different shapes and learning their ins and outs. Also properly exploring wheel shapes and sizes for the first time and F4s with a wide riding surface have been a revelation. Conical Fulls over Tablets so far, but also want to try Radial Fulls.

Additional views:

https://i.ibb.co/61nWRdf/IMG-6385.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/d7RwVYx/IMG-6394.jpg
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 12:25:04 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3519 on: July 02, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
Looks great with he 169 and tablets.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3520 on: July 02, 2021, 01:37:26 PM »
Saw this AWS reissue:

https://www.alienworkshop.com/collections/decks/products/morgan-flag-9-25

Sold out on their site but I've seen it floating around a couple places. Trying to chill on the shaped boards but it looks great and T-Bird is a legend. As a bonus I am posting this pic of him slapping the curb in Doylestown, PA from around 1990 or so (not my pic).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR9gG9zgRyv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

animalflesh

« Reply #3521 on: July 02, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »
Screwed another one I barely rode back together

9.0 razor top
159 standard with white front bushings
Speedlab 56
1/4 riser
Big balls
Pig rails

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3522 on: July 02, 2021, 03:34:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Someone in this thread put me onto Prject, so I hit them up a few months ago and they called me when they came in. Legends. Then  I put the order in with my local skate shop and they sent it to them with their next order. I got it for $260 AU which with exchange rate and the rest seems fine. I’ve justified it as it’s basically like buying 2 boards. And it’s rad as shit.

Sweet!

And definitely worth it.

Ben and team at Project are so good too.

Gonzales Sweatpants 9.81
F4 Conical Full 56mm
Bronson G3

Been skating this setup for a while, both street and bowl. Last change was going up to 56mm Conical Fulls, which has been a mixed bag. Super smooth, fast, and controlled especially on rough ground, however the board is quite draining to pop and really hard to flip. Gives me a lot of confidence, but I can feel my pop fading mid session already.

That Gonz looks so good, and makes me want to set one up (just got two from the most recent delivery) but also the 169s look perfect on it too.

Not too wide in the back at all.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:00:56 AM by Mbrimson88 »

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3523 on: July 03, 2021, 12:22:08 AM »
Expand Quote

Gonzales Sweatpants 9.81
F4 Conical Full 56mm
Bronson G3

[close]

That Gonz looks so good, and makes me want to set one up (just got two from the most recent delivery) but also the 169s look perfect on it too.

Not too wide in the back at all.

Been on 169s for at least 10 years but this has been the most perfect match so far. The board turns with ease but feels extremely stable, too. Never been as confident to go fast as with this board, especially in combination with the 99A Spitfire F4s.

The pics scale down for the window here anyway, or so I thought.  Not too big on screen is it?

Just put [ img ] around at least the top and bottom views like this and I think you would be fine (then I will cut this pic out so it is just from your post).

Thanks! Edited my post. For some reason they showed in original size when I previewed so I opted for links.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3524 on: July 03, 2021, 02:06:54 AM »
I often have boards come and go, quite a few over 9" but this one is a bit unique, being a short, flat but pointy tailed verson, vs the usual bigger single kicks or even the AH orange eagles that are a million times easier to skate than this one.

But anyway, here is a not so new but minimally used board that just scrapes in for this thread:

Baker Kader 9 x 31.85 with 14.25 wheelbase
Jessup grip
Indy hollow forged 169s with shortened kingpins
Cut down aftermarket Indy 90 conical bushings
Spitfire F4 "Full" 55mm down to 48mm
Spitfire cheapshots bearings
Shortys silverado 7/8 allen

* All second hand / used or very old parts dug out and set up during another lockdown + lots of rain.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ2LlWhlpSj/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:17:14 AM by Mbrimson88 »

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3525 on: July 03, 2021, 04:24:36 AM »
Looks sick! Do you cut down kingpin and bushing by exactly the same amount?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3526 on: July 03, 2021, 08:08:53 AM »
Had my first session on the shor deck, mostly skating flat and the mellowest bank in europe.  Pic to remind everyone what it looks like.

Despite having the fish tail and not having a nose (I did manage to eek out the littlest, baby, slappy noseslide though), it actually flips really well. My kick flips were clean today and my heelflips were close to actually happening. I guess having that crazy taper from the front to the back balances it out and lets your tricks level. The huge tail also makes it pretty nice to pop, despite the hefty wheelbase.

Overall impressions: very good. This is the experience I wanted to have on the Dane 1.

animalflesh

« Reply #3527 on: July 03, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »
I like that, rad graphic

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3528 on: July 03, 2021, 04:53:10 PM »
Looks sick! Do you cut down kingpin and bushing by exactly the same amount?

The funny thing is it just kind of happened to come together like that.

The baseplates / kingpins were from someone who had issues with them, so I used an angle grinder and rounded / cut the tops off as he was always getting caught on things.

The bushings from another time I cut them down for someone else and then they didn't want them as they thought they wouldn't work - clearly they work just fine in this board I set up and I can skate it perfectly well with cut down bushings.

Everything just worked out and I could have had the kingpin nut done up tighter, but it actually works fairly well being as loose as it is.

More info posted in the Truck setups thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.10290

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3529 on: July 05, 2021, 01:25:54 AM »
I just ordered some Scram Bomber Boards:

Have you guys ever skated one of these? I am curious.
These days I just buy boards in bulk that are 10 inch wide, cause I go through boards pretty quick.

The only thing that bothers me about the Bomber is the length. I prefer 32 inches but i hope 31.75 doesn't make a difference.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3530 on: July 05, 2021, 04:00:20 AM »

These days I just buy boards in bulk that are 10 inch wide, cause I go through boards pretty quick.

The only thing that bothers me about the Bomber is the length. I prefer 32 inches but i hope 31.75 doesn't make a difference.

Those ones are really good - overall a bit shorter due to a slightly shorter nose, so at least wheelbase and tail would be fairly normal.

I guess it depends how much you use the nose, but even a bit less on the nose is still good for most things.

When it is down to only a few inches and flat, things start to get harder, eg that Natas shape that all the fuss was about not so long ago.

Did some looking and found this:

https://energyskateshop.com/products/copy-of-scram-btp-dogii-deck-9-75?variant=35184213524643

Width: 10.0"
Length: 31.75"
Wheelbase: 14.75"

If you wanted a shorter wheelbase, you could always drill it down.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3531 on: July 05, 2021, 05:18:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those ones are really good - overall a bit shorter due to a slightly shorter nose, so at least wheelbase and tail would be fairly normal.

I guess it depends how much you use the nose, but even a bit less on the nose is still good for most things.

When it is down to only a few inches and flat, things start to get harder, eg that Natas shape that all the fuss was about not so long ago.

Did some looking and found this:

https://energyskateshop.com/products/copy-of-scram-btp-dogii-deck-9-75?variant=35184213524643

Width: 10.0"
Length: 31.75"
Wheelbase: 14.75"

If you wanted a shorter wheelbase, you could always drill it down.

I usualy skate a lot of transition. But with shorter boards it sometimes feels like my front foot comes off the board when snapping an ollie since there is not enough nose to catch it. That's why I always opted for a longer board, even though I don't do too many ollies.

Most important thing to me on a board is a fat tail, and this board seems to have a fat tail. I just wish I had more Mutant Decks!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:58:30 AM by Prostate Exam »

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3532 on: July 05, 2021, 01:42:29 PM »
Little update on the Crailtap Couch with 169 Indys, I put on 50mm Conical Fulls (99A) instead of the 54mm Tablets and everything fell into place. I think this is about as light and responsive of a board I'll get at 9"+. Had lots of fun skating flat ground today and even made some progress with my flip tricks.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #3533 on: July 08, 2021, 12:38:34 AM »
9.25 (at widest) skatepaige uncut blank cut to twin tail with Phawt shape tails. 8.875" at trucks, 7" tails, 15"wb.  Gifting my Habitat to a kid at the park.
Indy TI 169
Spitfire F4 60mm (now about 57)
Swiss

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3534 on: July 08, 2021, 04:39:48 AM »
9" "Meowcifer" deck
169 Indies
56 Ricta Chrome Clouds
No name bearings from the covid shortages
Santa Cruz Rails

Must've deleted my complete photo.

The idea was to learn slappies and general curb skating. Turns out learning to skate when already old and broken makes riding fast into curbs kinda scary...

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #3535 on: July 08, 2021, 06:53:56 AM »
How old are you?
I properly learned slappies 2 years ago, at 43.

You actually don’t need to go that fast providing you have a nicely buttered curb.
And once you get the technique down, it’s much lower impact that ollieing.

Big solid board and looser trucks help with this. Looks like you got a great setup for it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3536 on: July 08, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »
How old are you?

You actually don’t need to go that fast providing you have a nicely buttered curb.

Big solid board and looser trucks help with this. Looks like you got a great setup for it.

Almost 35. But a lot older at heart. Bum knee.

Really it's just my overall lack of confidence. Picked it up last year partially because I never even felt comfortable rolling at all. Got past that, but I'm just chicken shit in general haha

animalflesh

« Reply #3537 on: July 08, 2021, 01:32:00 PM »
My right knee and hip are pretty bad, slappies once you get em down are probably the most fun you can have on a skateboard without busting out Bayer and Epsom salt afterwards.

I like to burn one and drink a big bottle of water/ stretch before I start curb skating. Helps loosen up the joints and stuff.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #3538 on: July 08, 2021, 04:25:52 PM »
Expand Quote
How old are you?

[close]

Almost 35. But a lot older at heart. Bum knee.

Really it's just my overall lack of confidence. Picked it up last year partially because I never even felt comfortable rolling at all. Got past that, but I'm just chicken shit in general haha

Gotcha.
Slappies are pretty mystifying at first as well. All the videos show guys ripping into curbs and what looks like smashing into them, but its not quite like that.
If you haven’t read it yet there’s a good thread about how to do slappies in the ‘tips’ section.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:56:09 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3539 on: July 09, 2021, 06:10:59 AM »
FYI - the new Heroin drop is coming out next Wednesday.  There will be a 10" egg and Mutant

This has been my favorite setup in years.  Can't wait to get another and try the egg