Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533835 times)

Landmine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 184
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4110 on: November 18, 2021, 07:22:39 AM »
Yeah it's a looker for sure.  We'll see how I like the nose after I ride it a few sessions, but so far it's real nice.  Feels real tossable under my feet and I'm really liking the wheels; I don't know how to really describe it but they feel crispy.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #4111 on: November 18, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »
Yeah it's a looker for sure.  We'll see how I like the nose after I ride it a few sessions, but so far it's real nice.  Feels real tossable under my feet and I'm really liking the wheels; I don't know how to really describe it but they feel crispy.

Looks like a pretty similar shape to their eyeball deck which is pretty fun in my recollection
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Landmine

« Reply #4112 on: November 18, 2021, 07:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like a pretty similar shape to their eyeball deck which is pretty fun in my recollection

Yup, it's the same shape, just a different graphic. 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4113 on: November 18, 2021, 12:18:18 PM »
Debating a 9" popsicle even thought I did not skate the last two I bought and ended up selling them. Anybody here a die hard 9" popsicle person and want to sell me on them?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4114 on: November 18, 2021, 01:23:17 PM »
Debating a 9" popsicle even thought I did not skate the last two I bought and ended up selling them. Anybody here a die hard 9" popsicle person and want to sell me on them?

Well, I have been a die hard 9" popsicle person for at least 10 years. Recently moved up to 9.25". Not sure if I can sell you on them though since for me it's a no-brainer at shoe size US15. In my experience, a short wheelbase makes all the difference, and this rules out many of the available 9" popsicles. I recently found my holy grail of big popsicles in Heroin. BBS wood meets the best shapes I have ever skated. The 9.25" popsicles are a dream come true, so I assume the 9" won't disappoint. They have a steeper concave than the HLC popsicles (Jart, Sour), which is a nice touch as well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:08:22 PM by listentoaheartbeat »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #4115 on: November 18, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
Finally got it set up in time for a trip to a rad bowl tomorrow

Black Label Black Widow 9.25, wb 14.75

Ace Classic 66 s with 1/16 shims

Spitfire 56 mm 97a

Bones Swiss 6

Powell rails
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4116 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:10 PM »

As said, if you are a big board enthusiast, most in 9" are 33 with 15 wb or close to it, with not that many on the shorter side.

They can be redrilled but for such a long board to start with, I would be more inclined to seek out shorter boards, if you prefer something less than that.

The Doomsayers 9" was a bit less, when I checked their new stuff, along with the Creature and Santa Cruz stumps boards, which are a lot shorter.

In looking around there are actually quite a lot of 9" popsicles with shorter wheelbases, but I don't know how common they are in any given area.

At least some of the shops that have searches with width options can come up with some good ones.

Longer 14.75 to 15 wb include Antihero, Hockey, Creature, Madness, Black Label, Uma

Mid 14.38 to 14.5 wb include Polar, Heroin, Enjoi, Doom Sayers

Short 14.25 or less wb include Creature, Santa Cruz, and a Heroin 9.25

That is just from a quick search.

animalflesh

« Reply #4117 on: November 19, 2021, 05:03:15 AM »

Spitfire 56 mm 97a

Bones Swiss 6

Powell rails

Really sick!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4118 on: November 19, 2021, 07:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As said, if you are a big board enthusiast, most in 9" are 33 with 15 wb or close to it, with not that many on the shorter side.

They can be redrilled but for such a long board to start with, I would be more inclined to seek out shorter boards, if you prefer something less than that.

The Doomsayers 9" was a bit less, when I checked their new stuff, along with the Creature and Santa Cruz stumps boards, which are a lot shorter.

In looking around there are actually quite a lot of 9" popsicles with shorter wheelbases, but I don't know how common they are in any given area.

At least some of the shops that have searches with width options can come up with some good ones.

Longer 14.75 to 15 wb include Antihero, Hockey, Creature, Madness, Black Label, Uma

Mid 14.38 to 14.5 wb include Polar, Heroin, Enjoi, Doom Sayers

Short 14.25 or less wb include Creature, Santa Cruz, and a Heroin 9.25

That is just from a quick search.

Thanks Brimmo. I actually don't trip too hard on WB, though I kinda skew towards liking a longer one (favorite shape is the Cardiel Huffer with the 14.8" WB).

Functionally, the 9" pop would be a good choice but I also have a bit of a mental thing where I do not have the same attachment to them as I do to shapes and I trie of them quickly. For example, I have a Tired that has been in my rotation for 18 months, but I'll skate a popsicle for 2 weeks and feel like it is dusted.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #4119 on: November 19, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »

Spitfire 56 mm 97a

Bones Swiss 6

Powell rails

This is my favorite set up I’ve ever seen.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

oatstao

• Rep: -28
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4120 on: November 19, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »
Jumbo Gonz from Street plant - I bought 4 of them.   I think it's 11 inches wide

The blue version was the only one with the adjustable front truck holes. 

lifetime actor award winner

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4121 on: November 20, 2021, 05:59:04 PM »
Maybe a bit generic, I know, but I recently bought a couple of sets of lightly used 169s from ebay and thought I should finally set up my own orange eagle.  I usually put the wider trucks on older big boards to use as cruisers, but sometimes you gotta scratch that itch...

Antihero 9 x 33 with 15 wheelbase
Jessup grip scraps
Independent 169 trucks (second hand)
Spitfire F4 99a 58mm classic wheels
Bones Swiss bearings
Shortys 1" phillips bolts
Stock bushings

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWfV76Aldfz/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #4122 on: November 20, 2021, 06:47:28 PM »
Just set up a Black Label Lucero OG Bars reissue. At 33 1/8th inches long, it's giant.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4123 on: November 21, 2021, 05:41:15 AM »
Maybe a bit generic, I know, but I recently bought a couple of sets of lightly used 169s from ebay and thought I should finally set up my own orange eagle.  I usually put the wider trucks on older big boards to use as cruisers, but sometimes you gotta scratch that itch...

Jessup grip scraps
Bones Swiss bearings
Stock bushings

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWfV76Aldfz/

That’s a really dope setup. For some reason the more generic/bland setups have a stronger appeal to me than the fancy ones. Also, I just love 169s, both the look of their proportions and skating them. Generally not into the looks of big, narrow wheels but these 58mm Classics look sick. I suppose they are worn down a fair bit?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4124 on: November 21, 2021, 10:08:51 PM »
Expand Quote

Jessup grip scraps
Bones Swiss bearings
Stock bushings

[close]

That’s a really dope setup. For some reason the more generic/bland setups have a stronger appeal to me than the fancy ones. Also, I just love 169s, both the look of their proportions and skating them. Generally not into the looks of big, narrow wheels but these 58mm Classics look sick. I suppose they are worn down a fair bit?

Ha yeah I think I forgot to say they are about 55mm now.

I was going to put some new 56mm classic full wheels on (what I usually skate) but the trucks didn't need wider wheels, so these work better.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4125 on: November 21, 2021, 10:38:34 PM »

Spitfire 56 mm 97a

Bones Swiss 6

Powell rails
dat meat is murder sticker tho!
(It’s over 20 years old!)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4126 on: November 22, 2021, 08:15:35 AM »
nonconform skates 10 x 31.25 with a 14.25 wheelbase! Thing of beauty

sick! i was so tempted to buy one too. but i got too much backlog already and a couple upcoming boards i need to buy too.. but for that price it was so hard to pass.
how is the wood? i'll be getting a Meltdown deck soon thats made in the same woodshop.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4127 on: November 22, 2021, 08:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sick! i was so tempted to buy one too. but i got too much backlog already and a couple upcoming boards i need to buy too.. but for that price it was so hard to pass.
how is the wood? i'll be getting a Meltdown deck soon thats made in the same woodshop.

Good wood, perfect shape. I think the will reprint soon , so keep your eyes peeled

Landmine

« Reply #4128 on: November 22, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »

SIIIIIIIIICK!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4129 on: November 22, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »
This year has been my first deep dive into setup madness in 30 years of skateboarding. I clearly went overboard, however I do enjoy all of these setups. All Indy 169 (Ti) and Spitfire F4 except for 159s and Autobahn wheels on the cruiser.

The Powell Rat Bones reissue used to be my filmer board. I kept it when I sold my VX a long time ago, it’s a fun cruiser. 10" x 30" and completely flat.

I only skate the Krooked Gonzales Sweatpants in the bowl now, but it used to be my main setup. Really fun shape that translates well from and to popsicles.

The Heroin Symmetrical Egg is absolutely incredible. One session so far and loved it. Couldn’t help myself and got a second set of Titaniums for the occasion.

My first Heroin 9.25" popsicle quickly became my go to setup, got a stack that should last me a year. Set it up with Titaniums and F4 99A Classics, best board ever.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4130 on: November 22, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Good wood, perfect shape. I think the will reprint soon , so keep your eyes peeled

I feel like I know (or should know) but which woodshop makes these?

From their instagram:

“The Pale Horseman“ 10.0 shaped decks are now available! Produced in the Netherlands and screen printed in Germany. Every board is custom stained and one of a kind. Only 30 made. Check the link in bio for orders and more infos.
If your country isn't listed, contact us via DM or mail for individual shipping!

https://www.nonconform-skates.com/product/the-pale-horseman-10-0-shape

Shape and dimensions look really good too!

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4131 on: November 22, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
This year has been my first deep dive into setup madness in 30 years of skateboarding. I clearly went overboard, however I do enjoy all of these setups. All Indy 169 (Ti) and Spitfire F4 except for 159s and Autobahn wheels on the cruiser.

The Powell Rat Bones reissue used to be my filmer board. I kept it when I sold my VX a long time ago, it’s a fun cruiser. 10" x 30" and completely flat.

I only skate the Krooked Gonzales Sweatpants in the bowl now, but it used to be my main setup. Really fun shape that translates well from and to popsicles.

The Heroin Symmetrical Egg is absolutely incredible. One session so far and loved it. Couldn’t help myself and got a second set of Titaniums for the occasion.

My first Heroin 9.25" popsicle quickly became my go to setup, got a stack that should last me a year. Set it up with Titaniums and F4 99A Classics, best board ever.

Nice quiver.  Any axle bending on the Ti's?  My 169's are pretty cooked and I was considering some Ti replacements, but I'm worried about the axles.  I bent the axles on my standards, which is odd because I'm basically no impact.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4132 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice quiver.  Any axle bending on the Ti's?  My 169's are pretty cooked and I was considering some Ti replacements, but I'm worried about the axles.  I bent the axles on my standards, which is odd because I'm basically no impact.

So far, so good. I’ve only been skating my first set of Titaniums since August. I don’t seem to bend axles with my type of skating, even though I skate a lot and am quite heavy. Not jumping down anything higher than a three stair. Never bent any of my regular 169s either, as far as I can tell.

Not going back to regular 169s if I can afford it. The big but lightweight setup has really elevated my skating. I also like that they are a bit lower, feels more connected to the ground. Though that’s probably just in my head. On the OCD side of things, it’s cool that 7/8" hardware properly locks without cranking down too much since the baseplates are thinner.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:07:00 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4133 on: November 23, 2021, 03:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So far, so good. I’ve only been skating my first set of Titaniums since August. I don’t seem to bend axles with my type of skating, even though I skate a lot and am quite heavy. Not jumping down anything higher than a three stair. Never bent any of my regular 169s either, as far as I can tell.

Not going back to regular 169s if I can afford it. The big but lightweight setup has really elevated my skating. I also like that they are a bit lower, feels more connected to the ground. Though that’s probably just in my head. On the OCD side of things, it’s cool that 7/8" hardware properly locks without cranking down too much since the baseplates are thinner.

It's funny how some things just work so much better, eg the lighter trucks and thinner baseplate with 7/8" hardware.

The other curious thing is although I have seen all brands of trucks (including Indy in regular, hollow and titanium) with bent axles, the trucks of multiple brands with titanium axles were the only ones I could not get straight again, no matter how hard I tried.

Most regular and hollow axled trucks, I could sit the hanger on a jig I had made up and hammer them back to straight, but titaniums stayed bent and even cracked the hanger on the underside when it did move a bit on one truck that was heavily ground down.

Just something to note anyway, but on bigger boards, having lighter trucks really does make a significant difference.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4134 on: November 23, 2021, 07:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

From their instagram:

“The Pale Horseman“ 10.0 shaped decks are now available! Produced in the Netherlands and screen printed in Germany. Every board is custom stained and one of a kind. Only 30 made. Check the link in bio for orders and more infos.
If your country isn't listed, contact us via DM or mail for individual shipping!

Karate Woodchop in Rotterdam did these. but not all Nonconform decks are from there.
its a new company that started last year. still small scale and all done by one man.

http://jeroenvansluis.nl/karatewoodchop/?page_id=515
https://www.instagram.com/karatewoodchop/

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4135 on: November 23, 2021, 11:11:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's funny how some things just work so much better, eg the lighter trucks and thinner baseplate with 7/8" hardware.

The other curious thing is although I have seen all brands of trucks (including Indy in regular, hollow and titanium) with bent axles, the trucks of multiple brands with titanium axles were the only ones I could not get straight again, no matter how hard I tried.

Most regular and hollow axled trucks, I could sit the hanger on a jig I had made up and hammer them back to straight, but titaniums stayed bent and even cracked the hanger on the underside when it did move a bit on one truck that was heavily ground down.

Just something to note anyway, but on bigger boards, having lighter trucks really does make a significant difference.

This got me curious and I read up a bit on steel vs. titanium. I feel this article has some of the answers:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/metals-metal-products/steel-vs-titanium-strength-properties-and-uses/

Apparently the properties of titanium make it much harder to work with, which would explain why you couldn’t straighten the axle once it got bent through repeated/constant force applied when skating.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #4136 on: November 23, 2021, 11:29:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

SIIIIIIIIICK!

damn that looks niiiiice man  8) what wheels you rockin on it? the 14.25 looks really turny too

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4137 on: November 23, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This got me curious and I read up a bit on steel vs. titanium. I feel this article has some of the answers:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/metals-metal-products/steel-vs-titanium-strength-properties-and-uses/

Apparently the properties of titanium make it much harder to work with, which would explain why you couldn’t straighten the axle once it got bent through repeated/constant force applied when skating.

Thanks for the link.  Echos some "research" I did over the weekend by consulting a few articles and asking my cousin's husband, who's an engineer that works at a foundry.  He was amazed I was bending axles to begin with.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4138 on: November 23, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

From their instagram:

[close]

Karate Woodchop in Rotterdam did these. but not all Nonconform decks are from there.
its a new company that started last year. still small scale and all done by one man.

http://jeroenvansluis.nl/karatewoodchop/?page_id=515
https://www.instagram.com/karatewoodchop/

Thank you!

Always good to have more info, as well as another woodshop to add to the list.

Much appreciated.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4139 on: November 23, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »
Any of you guys skate 215s as their main truck? I’ve gone through all sorts of madness over the last few years, sizing all the way up then all the way back down… but finding myself skating pools and looking to eventually start messing with vert again I want to go back to my Scram 10” with 215s again. I just recently learned inverts and think I’m going to keep concentrating on them for a bit so the bigger setup shouldn’t hurt.

Will be keeping a Loveseat with 159s around at all other times for everything else though.