Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 541639 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4590 on: April 18, 2022, 07:30:34 PM »
Expand Quote
been wanting to set up a big boy board, do shops sell grip fatter than 9" or am i doomed to have the sides exposed?
[close]

Mob sells 11 inch wide grip (I’m sure others do too) that covers all of these shapes.

Most well established brands have wider sheets.  It is just if the shop has them or not.

Grip from Mob, Jessup, Modus, Powell / Mini Logo and a heap more I have seen that I cannot remember right now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #4591 on: April 18, 2022, 08:24:11 PM »

Black Label Curb Nerd 9.63" x 32" with 14-14.5" adjustable wheelbase (set at 14")
Lurpiv IKP 159
Dogtown Rallys 54mm 99a
Bones Super Swiss 6
Jessup Ultra
7/8" hardware

Been a while since I've skated a deck that's 32" long, which is definitely something I'm still getting used to.

Wow that shape looks really good.  I’m about to make an unnecessary purchase. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4592 on: April 18, 2022, 09:20:24 PM »

Black Label Curb Nerd 9.63" x 32" with 14-14.5" adjustable wheelbase (set at 14")
Lurpiv IKP 159
Dogtown Rallys 54mm 99a
Bones Super Swiss 6
Jessup Ultra
7/8" hardware

Been a while since I've skated a deck that's 32" long, which is definitely something I'm still getting used to.
I want!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4593 on: April 19, 2022, 09:18:27 AM »
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/chocolate-alvarez-sapo-one-off-9-skateboard-deck-multi_p150466?page=2&cPath=42&brand_id=58,71

Chocolate Love Seat.
How well would Indy 159 fit on that shape? I am not a fan of the magic carpet ride, I like it more flush.
IG: @flowterspace

animalflesh

« Reply #4594 on: April 19, 2022, 04:14:38 PM »
Asking here because big boards often have longer wheel bases: Any tips on small, steep banks or transition, specifically clearing the nose or tail on re-entry. Not really looking to pop out.

Don’t ride front pocket, you have to kinda skate in the back seat a little bit and keep your foot pointed more forward for more control

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4595 on: April 19, 2022, 06:42:12 PM »
Been lurking through this thread trying to get more info on the Polar Dane 1 and 1992 shapes. I'm getting back into skating after a few years and I got a P9 with 149 thunder trucks and 56mm 92a Ricta Clouds. I'm not loving the shape so far, so I wanted to try 9"+ board and I'm really interested in the Dane or 92. I'm not sure which trucks I would get, I'm debating between 151 thunder or Ace 55, and I want to keep my same wheels.

I'm curious if there's anyone here who has experience riding both the Dane 1 and 92?

For a lot of people it is more about wheelbase than the width, between comparable boards, so if you are shorter or prefer a shorter wheelbase the Dane 1 will be a fairly good board to go with, as it is very short, stubby and easy to skate for street stuff or normal park, whereas anything with a longer wheelbase will be more stable, especially if skating bigger things or going faster, or if you are taller and have your feet further apart.

I meant to add the 1992 shape is a bit more normal with a lot less taper to the back end and slightly longer 14.25 wb, still short to medium wheelbase, but it might be a bit more stable and a good go to board.  Not sure how many of them are still out there though.

Either of those trucks will work on it too, but the Ace trucks bring in the wheelbase, whereas Thunder extend the wheelbase a bit more.

Ace = short quick turns.

Thunder = might be more stable on the Dane 1 for some people.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 06:51:47 PM by Woodshop »

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4596 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Been lurking through this thread trying to get more info on the Polar Dane 1 and 1992 shapes. I'm getting back into skating after a few years and I got a P9 with 149 thunder trucks and 56mm 92a Ricta Clouds. I'm not loving the shape so far, so I wanted to try 9"+ board and I'm really interested in the Dane or 92. I'm not sure which trucks I would get, I'm debating between 151 thunder or Ace 55, and I want to keep my same wheels.

I'm curious if there's anyone here who has experience riding both the Dane 1 and 92?
[close]

For a lot of people it is more about wheelbase than the width, between comparable boards, so if you are shorter or prefer a shorter wheelbase the Dane 1 will be a fairly good board to go with, as it is very short, stubby and easy to skate for street stuff or normal park, whereas anything with a longer wheelbase will be more stable, especially if skating bigger things or going faster, or if you are taller and have your feet further apart.

I meant to add the 1992 shape is a bit more normal with a lot less taper to the back end and slightly longer 14.25 wb, still short to medium wheelbase, but it might be a bit more stable and a good go to board.  Not sure how many of them are still out there though.

Either of those trucks will work on it too, but the Ace trucks bring in the wheelbase, whereas Thunder extend the wheelbase a bit more.

Ace = short quick turns.

Thunder = might be more stable on the Dane 1 for some people.

I'm actually 6"2', but I ended up pulling the trigger on the Dane 1 with Ace Classic 55s. I wanted to go with a setup that was pretty different from what I've ridden in the past, and I can't wait for it to get here. I figured if I do want to extend the wheelbase I can go back to thunders but I'm excited to try something new.

Thanks for the advice!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4597 on: April 20, 2022, 02:56:00 AM »
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/de/chocolate-alvarez-sapo-one-off-9-skateboard-deck-multi_p150466?page=2&cPath=42&brand_id=58,71

Chocolate Love Seat.
How well would Indy 159 fit on that shape? I am not a fan of the magic carpet ride, I like it more flush.
I set it up with 151s and like it but it's 8.5 over the bolts.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4598 on: April 20, 2022, 03:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote

Chocolate Love Seat.
[close]
I set it up with 151s and like it but it's 8.5 over the bolts.

Thank you mate. I already wanted some 149s for the collection, maybe that's the deck for them.
IG: @flowterspace

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #4599 on: April 20, 2022, 06:38:56 AM »
Anyone know how often 35th Ave restocks those 10” popsicle shop decks?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #4600 on: April 20, 2022, 05:36:45 PM »

Lurpiv IKP 159
Dogtown Rallys 54mm 99a
Bones Super Swiss 6
Jessup Ultra
7/8" hardware

Drooling over here. I think I need one especially since it has a 14” wb.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4601 on: April 20, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Asking here because big boards often have longer wheel bases: Any tips on small, steep banks or transition, specifically clearing the nose or tail on re-entry. Not really looking to pop out.
[close]

Don’t ride front pocket, you have to kinda skate in the back seat a little bit and keep your foot pointed more forward for more control
Thanks, that makes sense. I’ve been thinking about it, and I’m trying to think of it like an inverted slappy gotta umshalla up there, stands to reason you gotta umshalla off.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4602 on: April 20, 2022, 06:41:55 PM »

@144p is the man for that.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4603 on: April 20, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »
Expand Quote

Lurpiv IKP 159
Dogtown Rallys 54mm 99a
Bones Super Swiss 6
Jessup Ultra
7/8" hardware

[close]
Drooling over here. I think I need one especially since it has a 14” wb.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4604 on: April 20, 2022, 08:23:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unfortunately the woodshop has no plans in producing more until they have access to more wider veneers. I was told that for some reason there is a shortage of them over a certain size, I don’t have the specifics of how or why but essentially they have no plans to make more. This is second hand info so it could be wrong but it’s all I got.
Sorry about that.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #4605 on: April 20, 2022, 09:09:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Unfortunately the woodshop has no plans in producing more until they have access to more wider veneers. I was told that for some reason there is a shortage of them over a certain size, I don’t have the specifics of how or why but essentially they have no plans to make more. This is second hand info so it could be wrong but it’s all I got.
Sorry about that.

Bummer! Thanks for the info tho!

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #4606 on: April 20, 2022, 09:45:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sorry about that.
[close]

I know a dude who gets custom 10” pops from @pretty_rad on Instagram. No idea what they cost, but it’s an option if you really want one

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #4607 on: April 20, 2022, 09:46:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sorry about that.
[close]

[close]

I know a dude who gets custom 10” pops from @pretty_rad on Instagram. No idea what they cost, but it’s an option if you really want one
I’ll check them out, thanks!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4608 on: April 21, 2022, 07:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sorry about that.

Yeah I heard the same thing.

Something like "everything is pre cut and they will not cut anything bigger than whatever size they go with for the foreseeable future".

Stock up on whatever you can get your hands on or get something smaller are the only two options for anyone in that situation.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #4609 on: April 22, 2022, 02:04:32 PM »
Looks like Berle painted and FA’d a Winkowski deck. Would be awesome if FA made a shaped deck for him.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #4610 on: April 22, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »
Looks like Berle painted and FA’d a Winkowski deck. Would be awesome if FA made a shaped deck for him.

As much as I want one, shaped decks do not fit FA's style.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4611 on: April 22, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As much as I want one, shaped decks do not fit FA's style.

You're right. Guess it's why Berle does this to other brands' shaped stuff.

Oddly enough, I can see it for Hockey.

YBOS

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4612 on: April 22, 2022, 04:10:31 PM »
If FA or Hockey made a shaped board I feel like it would be Welcome all over again. I don't know if I could handle that

qweenmess

« Reply #4613 on: April 22, 2022, 05:44:45 PM »
Picked up a Dane 1 with wheel wells, I'm so excited to set this up! Just waiting on grip and trucks.

Does anyone have any experience riding a board this size with thunder 149 (or similarly sized) trucks? That's what I have and I think my grip is gna get here before my trucks do.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #4614 on: April 22, 2022, 11:37:13 PM »
Just got a Beach Bummer today. Reminds me a lot of my old Slave War Pig, which I loved. For anyone interested on dimensions (measured flat with cloth tape measure) ...

T: 6.75
N: 6.0
WB: 14.6
Front truck width at middle of bolt pattern: 9.5ish
Rear truck " "... " : 9.0ish

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4615 on: April 23, 2022, 02:12:00 AM »
Just got a Beach Bummer today. Reminds me a lot of my old Slave War Pig, which I loved. For anyone interested on dimensions (measured flat with cloth tape measure) ...

T: 6.75
N: 6.0
WB: 14.6
Front truck width at middle of bolt pattern: 9.5ish
Rear truck " "... " : 9.0ish

Thanks!

That is good info on the dimensions.

I copied your post to the DLX thread as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4616 on: April 23, 2022, 04:40:24 AM »

Anyone rode the winkowski shape?

I just started riding the orange eagle shape and should probably stay with that forever but Id love one as a cruiser. Nothing better than looking down on a shaped deck.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4617 on: April 23, 2022, 07:43:16 AM »

quasi 9” football/90’s shape. real short. super fun.

indy’s and spit 58’s on 3plys. it pops

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4618 on: April 23, 2022, 08:19:41 AM »
Picked up a Dane 1 with wheel wells, I'm so excited to set this up! Just waiting on grip and trucks.

Does anyone have any experience riding a board this size with thunder 149 (or similarly sized) trucks? That's what I have and I think my grip is gna get here before my trucks do.

Skated mine with 149 Indys with a couple extra washers after I slipped an axle on my 159s. Honestly preferred it. As Long as you have some wider wheels you should be good to go.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4619 on: April 23, 2022, 08:25:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Anyone rode the winkowski shape?

I just started riding the orange eagle shape and should probably stay with that forever but Id love one as a cruiser. Nothing better than looking down on a shaped deck.

I'm on a Winkowski right now. Personally I enjoy it, mostly since I just carve pools.

I want to try the street Winkowski (slightly skinnier and less taper) and throw some small wheels on it for flipping and curb tricks.