Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533769 times)

Enrico Pallazzo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5190 on: December 23, 2022, 02:23:00 AM »
@GumOnMyGrip i need need need that shape
graphic & company be damned, everything else is blessed

edit: didnt realize its ps pressed but thats a bullet worth biting
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 02:32:50 AM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #5191 on: December 24, 2022, 12:14:05 PM »
@GumOnMyGrip i need need need that shape
graphic & company be damned, everything else is blessed

edit: didnt realize its ps pressed but thats a bullet worth biting

I wasn’t too excited either but it’s a lot steeper than most PS. Still has that PS feel though. If I love it I may use it as a tracer and get a blank from UnHeard…

animalflesh

« Reply #5192 on: December 27, 2022, 06:20:30 AM »

Junkwood (9.75 14.5 WB)
Pro 3 (riptide pivots and bottom bushings)
58 97 CF
Big balls
Jawns
Jessup

goldfishboot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #5193 on: December 27, 2022, 08:00:20 AM »
Expand Quote
speaking of scram... I finally burnt through my rocket 88 (the blue one) and set up a new Fink II. loving the shape, having a usable nose again is great, and the 14.5 wb makes me feel very zoomy compared the the 15 on the rocket. 10" by 31 inches long
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

pictured with ace 66 classics
58mm spit classics
super reds
3/8" risers cut from another board (made by a friend)
1.5" randoms
jessup

However this fucker was WAY too damn tall for me to skate comfortably so I took off the risers, put on some 56mm formula four classics and some old 1" indy bolts I found and my first session was a great one. those risers are gonna go on my zogger for beer runs. sure looked cool though
[close]
That’s beautiful. Top pic possible?
sorry for the delay

Junkwood (9.75 14.5 WB)
58 97 CF
Big balls
Jawns
Jessup
dude that shape looks outrageously fun! and I've never once had the urge to skate gullwings before now but they look so sick on that setup. how's the turn?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #5194 on: December 28, 2022, 02:31:03 PM »

Speaking of Black Label, it is interesting to see their 9" popsicle that used to be the same dimensions as the AH orange eagle, that was 9 x 33 with 15 wb has changed to a more manageable shorter board, which I think some people might prefer.

https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/thumbhead-stacked-blue-9-0

Thumbhead Stacked Blue

9.0" x 32.62" 14.5” wheelbase

I just bought an orange eagle, it's going to be my ramp/transition board. I'm curious to see how it's going to fare on a ramp. I wanted a larger popsicle; I'm coming from a 9.25 shaped Tired board and just felt like a change.

From what I've been reading, the 15-inch wheelbase isn't going to allow me to turn as quickly...but since I'm skating transition, I don't think it'll matter that much, and it'll provide me with more stability overall.

It was either this board, an Uma 9.0 egg, or a Polar Hjalte 9.0. Went to the shop and discovered I don't like an egg's small nose and tail, and the Polar isn't readily available where I live. So I bought the board from the shop, happy to support the shop, and I'm hyped to skate a new board.

What do you think Brim, did you like it on your ramp?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5195 on: December 28, 2022, 03:53:51 PM »
Expand Quote

Speaking of Black Label, it is interesting to see their 9" popsicle that used to be the same dimensions as the AH orange eagle, that was 9 x 33 with 15 wb has changed to a more manageable shorter board, which I think some people might prefer.

https://www.blacklabelskates.com/product/thumbhead-stacked-blue-9-0

Thumbhead Stacked Blue

9.0" x 32.62" 14.5” wheelbase
[close]

I just bought an orange eagle, it's going to be my ramp/transition board. I'm curious to see how it's going to fare on a ramp. I wanted a larger popsicle; I'm coming from a 9.25 shaped Tired board and just felt like a change.

From what I've been reading, the 15-inch wheelbase isn't going to allow me to turn as quickly...but since I'm skating transition, I don't think it'll matter that much, and it'll provide me with more stability overall.

It was either this board, an Uma 9.0 egg, or a Polar Hjalte 9.0. Went to the shop and discovered I don't like an egg's small nose and tail, and the Polar isn't readily available where I live. So I bought the board from the shop, happy to support the shop, and I'm hyped to skate a new board.

What do you think Brim, did you like it on your ramp?

Ha yeah my ramp is so small for such a big board, but it still works well.

I gotta say about the orange eagle, I don't ride it much, but every time I do it is a big beast at first, then once I get used to it after a couple of runs, I never have a bad session on it.  Then I often get worried that all the normal 8.38 and 8.5 boards I have are going to feel way too small for me, but it doesn't take much to adjust back to whatever else - usually just not in the same session.

The guys I know who do ride that one as their regular board love it and skate everything on it, which makes it look like just another normal / smaller board under their feet, but it also gives way more confidence that there is so much of it to keep my feet on as well.

I know the 15" wheelbase is not for everyone, nor is the 33+ length, but I really do like the overall dimensions and I think they work very well for anyone who does want to have a bigger board.

Compared to a couple of other shorter boards in similar widths I have (Baker Kader 9" popsicle in particular), I would take this one every time.

My preference is 169 Indy, but the two versions of Ace trucks also work well on it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

roll_dog

« Reply #5196 on: December 28, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »
Hey Slap. I had this thing set up as a cruiser for a while, but the shape seemed too good for just beer runs.

Heroin Craig's Behemoth 9.6"
Indy 169 Hollows w/ Bones hard bushings
Mini Logo Bearings
Bones STF 99a V6 56mm
Generic hardware
SC Slimline rails

Still have yet to ride it, cause I set it up after all the snow came...Can't wait to get on it though.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #5197 on: December 28, 2022, 07:30:22 PM »
Hey Slap. I had this thing set up as a cruiser for a while, but the shape seemed too good for just beer runs.

Heroin Craig's Behemoth 9.6"
Indy 169 Hollows w/ Bones hard bushings
Mini Logo Bearings
Bones STF 99a V6 56mm
Generic hardware
SC Slimline rails

Still have yet to ride it, cause I set it up after all the snow came...Can't wait to get on it though.

behemoth = fun

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #5198 on: December 30, 2022, 05:53:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
speaking of scram... I finally burnt through my rocket 88 (the blue one) and set up a new Fink II. loving the shape, having a usable nose again is great, and the 14.5 wb makes me feel very zoomy compared the the 15 on the rocket. 10" by 31 inches long
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

pictured with ace 66 classics
58mm spit classics
super reds
3/8" risers cut from another board (made by a friend)
1.5" randoms
jessup

However this fucker was WAY too damn tall for me to skate comfortably so I took off the risers, put on some 56mm formula four classics and some old 1" indy bolts I found and my first session was a great one. those risers are gonna go on my zogger for beer runs. sure looked cool though
[close]
That’s beautiful. Top pic possible?
[close]
sorry for the delay

Expand Quote

Junkwood (9.75 14.5 WB)
58 97 CF
Big balls
Jawns
Jessup
[close]
dude that shape looks outrageously fun! and I've never once had the urge to skate gullwings before now but they look so sick on that setup. how's the turn?
Not a problem and thanks for the top shot.
@Thom always coming through with the rad setup as well.
Oh if anyones interested, Cowtown is having a sale and they’ve got a few big Scram decks for $50. Link in Sale thread.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5199 on: December 31, 2022, 04:51:16 AM »
bit the bullet and got one of the new Blast decks. now i really wanna try the new wood and set it up as me next board. but i also going on a trip soon and probably rather ride a shape i already know i like and skate the best on when traveling.
so i'm stuck on deciding if i set this up next or just do another Heroin Mutant.

this 9.5 Mutant Smasher is really cool to me casue i absolutely loved the Kaiju inspired figure they did back then and still regret not buying one. aswell as the original and japanese Smahers beeing some of my favorite boardgraphics of them.
and this shape is one they did a couple times before too and i wanted to try it for a while.

animalflesh

« Reply #5200 on: December 31, 2022, 02:11:33 PM »
Thanx dogs

The pro 3 are a finicky truck… u gotta get a soft bottom duro bushing and a firm top and they work great but are pretty jiggly (which I like)

The trucks and stuff were a gift from a homie which was cool, I like that they’re the height of an Indy with a 1/8 riser

Pete W

• Rep: 11
« Reply #5201 on: January 04, 2023, 04:40:58 AM »
I'm getting really stoked reading old posts about the Dane 1 knowing that mine will be here in a few days. Posting my setup as soon as it's put together... this will be my first ever Xmas complete, haven't been this excited about building a setup in a while.

Have you been able to ride it yet?

Been considering one for a while now and finally got it in a New Years sale. Hyped on the color as well.

Polar Dane 1
Independent 169 Stage 10 (8.9")
Independent Conical Bushings 90a
Spitfire F4 Classics 97a
Bones Reds

Trucks seem to fit perfectly, but haven’t been able to ride it yet. Stoked!

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5202 on: January 04, 2023, 05:31:22 AM »
anyone held or skated that SC Salba Tiger hand that was posted a little bit ago? Dims on it look good.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5203 on: January 04, 2023, 01:27:36 PM »
It’s very similar to the girl couch shape. Couldn’t tell
Much difference.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5204 on: January 05, 2023, 05:37:34 AM »
It’s very similar to the girl couch shape. Couldn’t tell
Much difference.
awesome, that's what I was thinking just based on pictures.

elegant_fox

« Reply #5205 on: January 05, 2023, 10:22:18 AM »
I've been riding some monster setups lately and wanted to share them here. The daily driver is the Alva Abstrakt on Indy 215s with the 88a Alva conicals/bones swiss/quarter riser. The deck is 33” x 11” x 16" wb. It has just enough nose to ollie around things, but lifting 215s is a workout for sure. It's not a very original setup, mostly just a copy of how I've seen the Abstrakt set up on TA's Instagram. Overall, it's a really fun cruise ship on vert with a very surf inspired feel. I'll usually swap in the 60mm Bones 84b wheels to keep the speeds high. The 88a Alva conical is in their ditch formula which is great for the southern crud roads I ride daily.

The other setup is the Alva Millennium deck (9.75 x 33.75 x 15.5" wb) on Indy 169 hollows, I'll usually set this one up more for park stuff but I swap wheels between both decks fairly regularly. Both ride very similar, the Millennium just has more nimbleness and performance to it IMO.

I rarely see these decks being ridden online, let alone in my local park, but everyone really digs them when they see them and wants to try the setup out. The hand screened art is also really cool, almost to the point I don't want to thrash these decks.

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5206 on: January 05, 2023, 11:07:46 AM »
Krooked Zip Zogger
Indy 215
Bones Swiss
Powell Dragons in 52mm

69woodpusher69

« Reply #5207 on: January 05, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
Grosso Dagwood Long
Indy 169
Powell Dragon 56mm
Bones Swiss

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5208 on: January 07, 2023, 07:53:10 AM »
Those setups looking good @69woodpusher69

How are you liking the super long tail on the Grosso?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5209 on: January 07, 2023, 08:02:08 AM »
I went and splurged on a set of new 169s and a 9” orange eagle. I already had wheels and bearings lying around, so what else was I to do?
I put my 57mm radials on there. Can’t wait to wear them down a little, cause they’re giving me lil’ lovebites.
Finally I feel like I’m standing on a skateboard for adults. The extra wheelbase and room in the tail allows for a wider stance that I like.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #5210 on: January 07, 2023, 09:21:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm getting really stoked reading old posts about the Dane 1 knowing that mine will be here in a few days. Posting my setup as soon as it's put together... this will be my first ever Xmas complete, haven't been this excited about building a setup in a while.
[close]

Been considering one for a while now and finally got it in a New Years sale. Hyped on the color as well.

Polar Dane 1
Spitfire F4 Classics 97a
Bones Reds

I have Ace AF166s on my Dane and I've never had any issue with the 9" axle. I like a little magic carpet so I'd be fine with an 8.75" axle too.
I'll be 48 this year so the Dane1 is right up my alley... old school-ish shape with modern concave etc makes me happy.
Plus I love the short wheelbase.
Hopefully you enjoy the board as much as I do!
AW YEAH

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #5211 on: January 07, 2023, 11:18:12 PM »
Krooked Zip Zogger
Indy 215
Bones Swiss
Powell Dragons in 52mm

damn dat zogger looks good...have yet to ride one...contemplating it though..

Donald Quinelle

« Reply #5212 on: January 07, 2023, 11:52:37 PM »
10.0 Powell Ripper
Indy 169 Ti
REAL 1/8" wood risers
54mm Spitfire F4 Classic
Bronson ceramic

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5213 on: January 08, 2023, 02:53:25 AM »
10.0 Powell Ripper
Indy 169 Ti
REAL 1/8" wood risers
54mm Spitfire F4 Classic
Bronson ceramic

That looks like really good fun!

Is that one normal (modern) concave or the old flat with only a slight tail / nose kick?

Some I had stood on felt so clunky but the look of that with what seems like modern concave seems like it would work well.

Not a worry either way, but I know a lot of others have something like that in the original no concave variety, which seem better on a wall than under my feet, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Donald Quinelle

« Reply #5214 on: January 08, 2023, 03:50:35 AM »
Expand Quote
10.0 Powell Ripper
Indy 169 Ti
REAL 1/8" wood risers
54mm Spitfire F4 Classic
Bronson ceramic

[close]

That looks like really good fun!

Is that one normal (modern) concave or the old flat with only a slight tail / nose kick?

Some I had stood on felt so clunky but the look of that with what seems like modern concave seems like it would work well.

Not a worry either way, but I know a lot of others have something like that in the original no concave variety, which seem better on a wall than under my feet, but that is just me.

Yep modern mold. Nice concave and little kicked up nose

pops

• Rep: 218
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5215 on: January 08, 2023, 03:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar Dane 1
Spitfire F4 Classics 97a
Bones Reds

[close]

I have Ace AF166s on my Dane and I've never had any issue with the 9" axle. I like a little magic carpet so I'd be fine with an 8.75" axle too.
I'll be 48 this year so the Dane1 is right up my alley... old school-ish shape with modern concave etc makes me happy.

Have fun with your Dane1! It's a super fun board and got most of my skate time last summer. Iset up mine with Ace Classic 55s and Conical Fulls 54mm. Next wheels will be Keyframe 56mm because I'm more into cruising with it.

Pete W

• Rep: 11
« Reply #5216 on: January 08, 2023, 08:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar Dane 1
Spitfire F4 Classics 97a
Bones Reds

[close]

[close]

Have fun with your Dane1! It's a super fun board and got most of my skate time last summer. Iset up mine with Ace Classic 55s and Conical Fulls 54mm. Next wheels will be Keyframe 56mm because I'm more into cruising with it.

First Session was amazing, couldn’t believe how well it flips for such a big Board with an oldschool-ish shape (even though that’s what everyone said and that’s why I bought it)
Heelflip's just went

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5217 on: January 09, 2023, 08:20:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Polar Dane 1
Spitfire F4 Classics 97a
Bones Reds

[close]

[close]

[close]

First Session was amazing, couldn’t believe how well it flips for such a big Board with an oldschool-ish shape (even though that’s what everyone said and that’s why I bought it)
Heelflip's just went

Ripping! Great pic!

69woodpusher69

« Reply #5218 on: January 09, 2023, 09:02:31 AM »
Those setups looking good @69woodpusher69

How are you liking the super long tail on the Grosso?

it's weird man, tbh. i am having trouble getting used to putting the foot so far back but still having my front foot correctly planted. it's bad ass for cruising town though, fun as hell to manual on

69woodpusher69

« Reply #5219 on: January 09, 2023, 09:04:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Krooked Zip Zogger
Indy 215
Bones Swiss
Powell Dragons in 52mm
[close]

damn dat zogger looks good...have yet to ride one...contemplating it though..

i sat on thought on it for weeks too before i pulled the trigger, really happy i did it. it's crazy how versatile it is. i can surf it and slide it, it's a slappy monster with plenty of foot room on the nose and a nice compact tail