Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533815 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5310 on: February 03, 2023, 07:38:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Please excuse the atrocious grip job, blade and grip weren't getting along today.

Nose is 7.25", tail is 7" (measured starting from between closest bolt holes, on the top ply)
[close]

Not a worry.

I can easily see the outline of the board and stoked it doesn't have a pointy little tail like some other boards of similar proportions.  That was the main thing.  A wide board with short to medium wheelbase and short pointy tail seems to be quite common and is a deal breaker for me.

Much appreciated!
[close]

That board looks sick in a good way!
I’m still quite new to skateboarding and dimensions, so I wouldn’t understand how anyone could be looking for something completely different than me and why no-one makes the perfect board for me.

Having skated the Orange eagle for a couple of weeks now, I have narrowed my FOV in regards to boards. It’s a great board, very durable. I like the long wheelbase, but I don’t need the kicks that long. I mean c’mon, the kicks almost make up half the board. 7,25” nose and 7” tail vs 15” wheelbase.

I could see my next board being a shape, as they tend towards longer wheelbases but shorter overall but would do a pop in the right dims in a heartbeat.

Currently I have narrowed it down to boards with 15” wheelbase, and tails and noses around the 6,75” - and total length around 32”. Nose length isn’t really that important, as I don’t really do a lot of tricks off it yet. I prefer mellower kicks and flat to medium concave.
Picture just for reference. I like the madness and frog boards the most, but I don’t know anything about how they skate.

The Frog board is BBS, just like the orange eagle (unless Frog have changed, but I think they only had one PS Stix board out and it was a one off shape anyway) and the other two will feel more like the Creature board, unless the Santa Cruz has the Cruz Missile concave, but again they can have different concave options, so just check the listings for those boards.

I know a few people who don't use the nose and will always drill a more standard board out way longer at the nose end if it allows it, just so they have the longer wheelbase without a 33" long board.  This opens up the options a whole lot more, even just drilling anything out using the Indy six hole baseplate as a template which is 3/8" so anything around 14.5 to 14.75 are good in that regard for extending the wheelbase to a more comfortable length for your happy place.

Indy standard trucks in 159, 169, 215 or 109 all have the six hole baseplates, as do some other brands, so bolting the baseplate on and drilling through the other two holes, turning the baseplate around and drilling through the inside holes when you put it at the longer bolt pattern is a good way to get an accurate wheelbase extension, but if you are careful it is not hard to just measure and drill.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #5311 on: February 03, 2023, 08:14:26 PM »

9.0 x 32 x 13.75 Quasi Egg
6.1 Venture
58 Spitfire F4 OG classic shape
Reds
Some bolts
Jessup

I have a love hate relationship with the quasi egg. I don't really get to skate enough to run astray from my beloved boxy ps stix 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 on venture 5.8s but here I am. This is my second and some days I love it and some I hate it. I just cracked the tail on my last one. Not this past weekend but the one before I had a good time skating it at the skate park on a saturday then went back to the park on a sunday and couldn't ollie on it but it might have just been my legs. I've been working this weird shift that's 1 am to like 11 am mon - fri (it was a multiyear project and on Central European Time and I live in NJ that I'm just wrapping up but I start regular 8 am shift on this Monday) and I'm 32 and I sit in a desk chair for long hours and I have a one year old who rules and deserves all my time, so not really that much skating lately and my legs can tell. My legs feel 1 billion years old. Plus on top of that I was never very good lol. I just got a yoga mat and a below the desk pedal thing and started using a foam roller again this week. Going to start maybe trying to eat healthier and perhaps slow down on my alcohol consumption but that's not as likely. Either way it always feels good to get outside and push around even if I'm feeling extra awkward on my board.

I moved into the house next door (same landlord - needed more room for my wife and baby and home office, etc.) and since moving they've done a lot of work in the parking lot behind my old house and it's made the ground a bit rougher - really eats up a board - still awesome to push around back there. I have a box and a quarterpipe in the furnace room in the basement of this house that I want to go in and get to skate but I sort of don't want to scare the tenants who moved into my old apartment anymore than I already do just yet. Either way set this guy up and went out really quick at golden hour when my wife and daughter went to my sister in laws. Put the phone down for a little and filmed a brief moment of my flat ground where most of the tricks I did were completely out of frame because I'm a dope. Either way this is a ton to write about a board I don't know if I like and I'm 100% rambling. Go Birds! Mind the poor nollie flip and slow speed on the only three things I did almost in frame, it's on a bit of an incline and I'm working on getting my legs back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leh7Px1_5jw

I’ve been wanting a reason to pick up some 6.1’s and this post is helping. Or not helping, or something. Either way, your setup looks fun. Do you like that short wheelbase?

Cool setup!

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #5312 on: February 04, 2023, 04:15:10 AM »
Expand Quote

6.1 Venture
Reds
Some bolts
Jessup

I have a love hate relationship with the quasi egg. I don't really get to skate enough to run astray from my beloved boxy ps stix 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 on venture 5.8s but here I am. This is my second and some days I love it and some I hate it. I just cracked the tail on my last one. Not this past weekend but the one before I had a good time skating it at the skate park on a saturday then went back to the park on a sunday and couldn't ollie on it but it might have just been my legs. I've been working this weird shift that's 1 am to like 11 am mon - fri (it was a multiyear project and on Central European Time and I live in NJ that I'm just wrapping up but I start regular 8 am shift on this Monday) and I'm 32 and I sit in a desk chair for long hours and I have a one year old who rules and deserves all my time, so not really that much skating lately and my legs can tell. My legs feel 1 billion years old. Plus on top of that I was never very good lol. I just got a yoga mat and a below the desk pedal thing and started using a foam roller again this week. Going to start maybe trying to eat healthier and perhaps slow down on my alcohol consumption but that's not as likely. Either way it always feels good to get outside and push around even if I'm feeling extra awkward on my board.

I moved into the house next door (same landlord - needed more room for my wife and baby and home office, etc.) and since moving they've done a lot of work in the parking lot behind my old house and it's made the ground a bit rougher - really eats up a board - still awesome to push around back there. I have a box and a quarterpipe in the furnace room in the basement of this house that I want to go in and get to skate but I sort of don't want to scare the tenants who moved into my old apartment anymore than I already do just yet. Either way set this guy up and went out really quick at golden hour when my wife and daughter went to my sister in laws. Put the phone down for a little and filmed a brief moment of my flat ground where most of the tricks I did were completely out of frame because I'm a dope. Either way this is a ton to write about a board I don't know if I like and I'm 100% rambling. Go Birds! Mind the poor nollie flip and slow speed on the only three things I did almost in frame, it's on a bit of an incline and I'm working on getting my legs back.

[close]

I’ve been wanting a reason to pick up some 6.1’s and this post is helping. Or not helping, or something. Either way, your setup looks fun. Do you like that short wheelbase?

Cool setup!

Thank you! 6.1s I have nothing but good things to say about. I don’t know what it is about them but they have a better turn than the 5.8s I usually ride I don’t know if it’s cause they’re wider. I love the 5.8s too but it was pretty impressive how quick break in time and the turn on them right out the gate.

The board is sometimes so fun and feels really good for everything but especially 360 flips or back 360s and other stuff and sometimes it feels like their isn’t enough board and I can’t even ollie on it. I think the bad days are just cause I’m not skating as much as I’d like and I’m looking to blame anything but myself lol.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5313 on: February 04, 2023, 06:47:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Please excuse the atrocious grip job, blade and grip weren't getting along today.

Nose is 7.25", tail is 7" (measured starting from between closest bolt holes, on the top ply)
[close]

Not a worry.

I can easily see the outline of the board and stoked it doesn't have a pointy little tail like some other boards of similar proportions.  That was the main thing.  A wide board with short to medium wheelbase and short pointy tail seems to be quite common and is a deal breaker for me.

Much appreciated!
[close]

That board looks sick in a good way!
I’m still quite new to skateboarding and dimensions, so I wouldn’t understand how anyone could be looking for something completely different than me and why no-one makes the perfect board for me.

Having skated the Orange eagle for a couple of weeks now, I have narrowed my FOV in regards to boards. It’s a great board, very durable. I like the long wheelbase, but I don’t need the kicks that long. I mean c’mon, the kicks almost make up half the board. 7,25” nose and 7” tail vs 15” wheelbase.

I could see my next board being a shape, as they tend towards longer wheelbases but shorter overall but would do a pop in the right dims in a heartbeat.

Currently I have narrowed it down to boards with 15” wheelbase, and tails and noses around the 6,75” - and total length around 32”. Nose length isn’t really that important, as I don’t really do a lot of tricks off it yet. I prefer mellower kicks and flat to medium concave.
Picture just for reference. I like the madness and frog boards the most, but I don’t know anything about how they skate.

[close]

The Frog board is BBS, just like the orange eagle (unless Frog have changed, but I think they only had one PS Stix board out and it was a one off shape anyway) and the other two will feel more like the Creature board, unless the Santa Cruz has the Cruz Missile concave, but again they can have different concave options, so just check the listings for those boards.

I know a few people who don't use the nose and will always drill a more standard board out way longer at the nose end if it allows it, just so they have the longer wheelbase without a 33" long board.  This opens up the options a whole lot more, even just drilling anything out using the Indy six hole baseplate as a template which is 3/8" so anything around 14.5 to 14.75 are good in that regard for extending the wheelbase to a more comfortable length for your happy place.

Indy standard trucks in 159, 169, 215 or 109 all have the six hole baseplates, as do some other brands, so bolting the baseplate on and drilling through the other two holes, turning the baseplate around and drilling through the inside holes when you put it at the longer bolt pattern is a good way to get an accurate wheelbase extension, but if you are careful it is not hard to just measure and drill.

You, my good sir, are a treasure trove of information. A true gem of slap.
I did get 169 hollows to go with the eagle, so I think I’mma just gonna go for it with the Creature 8,6. Strap them on, drill, flip and drill again, and put back the forged 159. It’s a 14.625” wb, and it’ll become just about 15” when done. Brilliant! The tail is still short, but it’s fine with 54mm wheels. I can deal with the rocker concave better, since I switched up my shoes.
Will let you know how I fare.

The frog better come live with me, for when I’ve worn out the eagle. Terrible graphics, but sweet dims on paper.

The Meek Slasher looks a little skinny around the rear trucks so I might pass.
Wrong thread, but I might end up getting a skinnier board w/ 149s and drill that out to 15”, and practice flips n stuff.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5314 on: February 04, 2023, 10:14:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

6.1 Venture
Reds
Some bolts
Jessup

[close]

Cool setup!
[close]

Thank you! 6.1s I have nothing but good things to say about. I don’t know what it is about them but they have a better turn than the 5.8s I usually ride I don’t know if it’s cause they’re wider. I love the 5.8s too but it was pretty impressive how quick break in time and the turn on them right out the gate.

The board is sometimes so fun and feels really good for everything but especially 360 flips or back 360s and other stuff and sometimes it feels like their isn’t enough board and I can’t even ollie on it. I think the bad days are just cause I’m not skating as much as I’d like and I’m looking to blame anything but myself lol.

Thanks for the reply.
Nice video too.
The 13.75 wheelbase scares me a little bit but I might just have to try it anyways.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #5315 on: February 05, 2023, 07:30:12 AM »

6.1 Venture
Reds
Some bolts
Jessup

that's rad. respect

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #5316 on: February 05, 2023, 10:34:47 AM »
New shape from girl, love seat plus.
I’ll set it up soon and give a review

Any word on when the rest of us will be able to get our hands on this shape? Did you skate it yet?

elegant_fox

« Reply #5317 on: February 05, 2023, 12:54:28 PM »
With the flight deck biting the dust so soon and some warm weather headed our way, I grabbed a Jeff Kendall "End of the World" deck for a park/vert setup:

Mainly the 15" wheelbase is what I was going for, but the matte graphic is really cool too.

Deck is tapered 10" x 29.7"
Indy 169s
1/4 risers
1-1/4 shorties hardware
Bones Swiss
Powell Rat Bones 60mm - Dragon formula for street / Bones 60mm V5 SPF 84b for parks.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5318 on: February 05, 2023, 01:52:50 PM »
Really digging the Black Label Tugboat shape.  Thunder 161s and 54mm Dragons to round it out

elegant_fox

« Reply #5319 on: February 05, 2023, 01:55:10 PM »
Really digging the Black Label Tugboat shape.  Thunder 161s and 54mm Dragons to round it out

The 54mm dragons are so good. They still catch on the occasional pebble, but they roll like a bigger wheel.

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5320 on: February 05, 2023, 02:20:43 PM »
The tugboat shape looks fun!

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #5321 on: February 05, 2023, 04:57:17 PM »
With the flight deck biting the dust so soon and some warm weather headed our way, I grabbed a Jeff Kendall "End of the World" deck for a park/vert setup:

Mainly the 15" wheelbase is what I was going for, but the matte graphic is really cool too.

Deck is tapered 10" x 29.7"
Indy 169s
1/4 risers
1-1/4 shorties hardware
Bones Swiss
Powell Rat Bones 60mm - Dragon formula for street / Bones 60mm V5 SPF 84b for parks.

Love the look of this setup.

TomBes

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5322 on: February 05, 2023, 05:41:02 PM »
The 4th setup on this deck:
Beau Brown 10.25" deck
17" wheel base
Indy 215s
54mm ricta clouds.
The huge wheel base, flat concave and 215s make this veeeery comfy to ride.
It has previously been a surfskate with waterborne, also carver, and set to 15" wheelbase with 169s. All fun.
It maybe works best as a surfskate?
PS. I put extra bolts in the extra holes drilled cause I don't like looking at holes

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #5323 on: February 05, 2023, 06:58:24 PM »

Damn that looks like a great board.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5324 on: February 05, 2023, 09:52:27 PM »

What's the tail length like on it? Looks like a fun shape but short tails are a no go for me.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5325 on: February 06, 2023, 09:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What's the tail length like on it? Looks like a fun shape but short tails are a no go for me.

just measured and it's a 6.75T.  I'm with you, short tails are horrible for me. no issues here though

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5326 on: February 06, 2023, 11:40:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

just measured and it's a 6.75T.  I'm with you, short tails are horrible for me. no issues here though

Thanks, I'll definitely try one if I can find it.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5327 on: February 06, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »
Cross post from the Huffer thread.

Grabbed the newest Huffer. This one is for following my 4-year-old around the neighborhood or through paved trails in the woods near our house. I'm still using riding last drop's Herndon graphic Huffer for bowls and mini ramps.

Please excuse the too-long hardware. It's all I had that fit the 58mm wheels and 1/4" risers.

Edit: Apologies. That rug is filthy. My home office doubles as a playroom/snack room for my two young children.

Grimple Huffer
Indy 159s
Reds
SJ 1/4" risers
Bones Rough Riders 58mm

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5328 on: February 06, 2023, 04:09:40 PM »
Beau Brown 10.25" deck
17" wheel base
Indy 215s
54mm ricta clouds.
It has previously been a surfskate with waterborne, also carver, and set to 15" wheelbase with 169s. All fun.
PS. I put extra bolts in the extra holes drilled cause I don't like looking at holes

That is such a trip as one of those went on ebay.com.au for cheap recently, from a guy I know.

Interesting what comes up sometimes and skateboarding is such a small world, especially here in AU.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skateboard-Deck-Madrid-reissue-Beau-Brown-/185759714230

TomBes

« Reply #5329 on: February 06, 2023, 05:45:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Beau Brown 10.25" deck
17" wheel base
Indy 215s
54mm ricta clouds.
[close]

That is such a trip as one of those went on ebay.com.au for cheap recently, from a guy I know.

Interesting what comes up sometimes and skateboarding is such a small world, especially here in AU.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skateboard-Deck-Madrid-reissue-Beau-Brown-/185759714230
I originally bought the deck second hand too! But it was mint. It's a fun deck.
How did you know I was in Australia??

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5330 on: February 07, 2023, 03:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Beau Brown 10.25" deck
17" wheel base
Indy 215s
54mm ricta clouds.
[close]

[close]

Guessed really, but the "traditional flag" on the grip was a sure sign - rad grip job too!!

Lots of rad people I know who skate and have a proud indigenous heritage.

That's a rad thing about skateboarding, bringing everyone together and breaking down barriers.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5331 on: February 07, 2023, 05:15:42 PM »

Spy shot of one of the samples for the project (struggling to call it a "brand") I'm working on. I'll hopefully have more photos of the boards / a setup photo in the next week or two  ;D

You pressing?

TomBes

« Reply #5332 on: February 07, 2023, 06:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Beau Brown 10.25" deck
17" wheel base
Indy 215s
54mm ricta clouds.
[close]

[close]
[close]

Guessed really, but the "traditional flag" on the grip was a sure sign - rad grip job too!!

Lots of rad people I know who skate and have a proud indigenous heritage.

That's a rad thing about skateboarding, bringing everyone together and breaking down barriers.

Haha oh yeah I forgot that was there! Doh. I'm not actually indigenous myself. Just wanna pay some respect. the previous owner had cut a circle there and put a sticker in it. I realised one day it would also work well as the sun in an Aboriginal flag.

oliknight

« Reply #5333 on: February 09, 2023, 07:43:05 AM »

I have wanted a Zarosh deck most of my life and I am very happy to finally own one
Paired with venture 6.1 and spitfire 53mm 🖤

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5334 on: February 09, 2023, 06:01:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Spy shot of one of the samples for the project (struggling to call it a "brand") I'm working on. I'll hopefully have more photos of the boards / a setup photo in the next week or two  ;D
[close]

You pressing?
[close]

It's a one-off shape I designed that is an amalgamation of a few boards I've liked and I'm working with Pennswood to get them made. I'll get some more photos up soon, but here's a spy shot of the stains Joe did for the first sample batch. The Instagram for the project is linked in my signature and I'll be keeping that updated as things progress (if you or anyone else cares enough to keep tabs on them lol).

huge fan of pennswoods product
whats the wheelbase?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5335 on: February 09, 2023, 08:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You pressing?
[close]

It's a one-off shape I designed that is an amalgamation of a few boards I've liked and I'm working with Pennswood to get them made. I'll get some more photos up soon, but here's a spy shot of the stains Joe did for the first sample batch. The Instagram for the project is linked in my signature and I'll be keeping that updated as things progress (if you or anyone else cares enough to keep tabs on them lol).

Looks pretty good.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5336 on: February 10, 2023, 07:01:59 AM »
Looks pretty good.

Thanks, I'm really stoked about how they came out aesthetically. Hopefully, they skate just as good as they look and I didn't botch any of the measurements lol

whats the wheelbase?

As of this moment, the samples are 9.25" x 32" with a 14.25" wb (7" nose, 6.625" tail, 9" over the front truck, 8.75" over the rear truck). We're going to give these a go to see if we want to make any changes and then get a slightly larger sample batch to add a few people to the feedback loop. Ideally, the plan is to get everything locked in shape & measurement wise and do a small 1st production run in late spring/early summer.
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5337 on: February 10, 2023, 11:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Looks pretty good.
[close]

Thanks, I'm really stoked about how they came out aesthetically. Hopefully, they skate just as good as they look and I didn't botch any of the measurements lol

Expand Quote
whats the wheelbase?
[close]

As of this moment, the samples are 9.25" x 32" with a 14.25" wb (7" nose, 6.625" tail, 9" over the front truck, 8.75" over the rear truck). We're going to give these a go to see if we want to make any changes and then get a slightly larger sample batch to add a few people to the feedback loop. Ideally, the plan is to get everything locked in shape & measurement wise and do a small 1st production run in late spring/early summer.
Those dimensions sound great and the shape you have on IG looks on point.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5338 on: February 10, 2023, 11:51:52 AM »

Thanks! I'll try and get the photos of the boards posted at some point this weekend and I'll get a photo of it set up next week whenever my Stage 4's show up.
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5339 on: February 10, 2023, 11:59:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks! I'll try and get the photos of the boards posted at some point this weekend and I'll get a photo of it set up next week whenever my Stage 4's show up.
+1
those swirl graphics arent exactly my thing but the dims are a1
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo