Author Topic: Skateboarding conspiracies thread  (Read 175262 times)

carbonite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skateboarding conspiracies thread
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
1. there was an "industry memo" around 1993 to stop everyone from wearing plain white t-shirts and skating blank boards

2. Kanten Russell was maybe supposed to be on Plan B, but Mike T just used INSANE footage of him to motivate everyone else to film for Questionable

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »

I've seen that before and it's still awful.

I think the drug problem started way before any of that other stuff (crack also being a euphemism for heroin). Like others said, it was the whole "campus" along with many others in skateboarding who had drug/alcohol problems.

Whoever writes these must have foresaw this sort of thread coming....

There's still something to say about Gino . . .

but it isn't found contemplating why he was the only World kid to have that #lineinTwentyShot in #" cold (especially in the Summer ) ass  SF", —shirtless (after filming that line at the top wearing the white Menace T). Yeah, Gino's gay and all but you couldn't come to that conclusion simply from that one stray observation, and if you honestly still think you could from that, well then, you probably just don't know Gino, really.

http://secondhandembarrassment.blogspot.com/search/label/Gino
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There's a curse on element skateboards either you are wicked successful or you are cursed and on the way out of your career. Either way Element is fir hasbeen skaters.

Billy Pepper ostracized from skating
Forrest Kirby severe pill addiction and alcoholism
Harold Hunter RIP to the ODB of skating
Muska at his milking it stage joined TMZ debacle
Tosh Townsend killed a girl while wasted
Bam Margera had Really talented shot but blew it on his shows. Edit glad he is skating again but want him on a different team where he fits.
Huston and his dads shenanigans
Appleyard c'mon man Flip and or somewhere else would be a good spot.....
Westgate rips and he is too young to sellout.

Also I believe there's a reason that its insidiously designed to sell your life to Element brand
Look at Terry Kennedy when he got shot not one of his teammate's from element came to see him through?! So what's that say about loyalty...... Baker had his back.
[close]

Don't forget Toy Machine Donny Barley vs Element Donny Barley
[close]

Jesus fucking Fernandez, where the actual fuck is Donny Barley.

I hope Matt Bennet doesn’t go the same way; have a notable trick named after him> decentish pro career> element> watery obscurity.
Want to talk about Element being shitty and bad for good Pros, let's discuss Jeremy Wray. This is a guy who should be cashing checks to this day on legend status similar to other dudes in the industry.

If Jeremy Wray stayed with a legit board company, he'd still be sponsored in some sort of role as a legend and probably be on something like Nike/Adidas etc. Pretty much every other 90's pro who was on his level is still cashing checks to this day, unless they kooked themselves out of the industry (Henry Sanchez). Instead, he's running a tiny board brand with his brother.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2018, 07:01:28 PM »

I think the drug problem started way before any of that other stuff (crack also being a euphemism for heroin). Like others said, it was the whole "campus" along with many others in skateboarding who had drug/alcohol problems.
It may have been the breaking point into full on mess constantly on LA's skid row, from just doing a bunch of drugs with friends occasionally.

While Guy was on the original Girl team, didn't the LA Boys like Rudy, Gabriel, and Paulo actually mostly hang out with the Menace/Lockwood crew (Fabian, Joey Surriel). A bunch of those guys ended up having serious issues outside of Rudy.

It just seemed pretty prevalent among most of the skaters in that era. Its not like the guys were heavily seperated by what team they were on. There were guys riding for a bunch of different brands also getting up to shit like that at EMB.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It may have been the breaking point into full on mess constantly on LA's skid row, from just doing a bunch of drugs with friends occasionally.

While Guy was on the original Girl team, didn't the LA Boys like Rudy, Gabriel, and Paulo actually mostly hang out with the Menace/Lockwood crew (Fabian, Joey Surriel). A bunch of those guys ended up having serious issues outside of Rudy.

It just seemed pretty prevalent among most of the skaters in that era. Its not like the guys were heavily seperated by what team they were on. There were guys riding for a bunch of different brands also getting up to shit like that at EMB.

You're right in saying that it wasn't exclusive to Girl/ Chocolate, but remember that all of those guys were under the same umbrella at World and were still pretty much a crew when the Girl guys split. Also, Rudy had serious issues like the rest of them, it's just not as publicized.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You're right in saying that it wasn't exclusive to Girl/ Chocolate, but remember that all of those guys were under the same umbrella at World and were still pretty much a crew when the Girl guys split. Also, Rudy had serious issues like the rest of them, it's just not as publicized.
I assume all those guys got up to shit. Some it was just youthful partying, for others it became a debilitating issue.

It's always going to be a common part of skateboarding, it may reduce over years but it will always happen. We are talking about young males, who tend to be adrenaline hunters and if successful make more than most 20-year-olds and have limited responsibilities. Put that combination in the middle of LA, and you'll get the same stuff and see it over and over again. Just look at the Baker/Warner Ave crew. Same shit just slightly later.

That is pretty funny though how that thread was shut down though at the time and turned out to be true.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »
Expand Quote
A shop owner once told me that Think was deliberately kept around just to lose money, as some kind of Producers-esque plan to get tax breaks.
[close]

i remember feedback ted saying it was a drug front
Don't know particularly about think but most skate companies that go under get sold to Japanese mega corporations that resurrect them, if the catch one everything is great, if they'd one they are used as tax right offs, don't fully understand how that works but someone told me you put all the big salaries under the failing company and the right off that loss at the end of the year.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »
Think's demise, I had heard from reps for High Speed back when it was the Funzalida fiasco, was just Greg Carrol and Keith Cochrane (or whoever was calling the shots) wanting it to be fresh rather than hesh. Once Wade, the Butcher, and Pete the Ox were all gone they couldn't wait to swap over to Krooked, the newest DLX company. Not really a Producers-esque conspiracy, but just a couple of idiots making bad choices.

Which would lead to the whole thing with DLX (Real, Anti-Hero, Spitfire, Thunder, Krooked...), High Speed (Think, Lucky, Venture) as well as Indy, Thrasher, and even this here SLAP all being under the Fausto Vitello empire and basically all coming from the same place in SF. I believe Indy, Thunder, and Venture all come out of the same (made in the USA!) manufacturing plant.
And this collusion between Deluxe and Thrasher is why skaters like Jamie Thomas and others were banned by Thrasher for some time.

I kind of assume this is all common knowledge and not as juicy as the Guy/Justin thing, which was also kind of a well known secret.

Another good conspiracy that I can confirm is true with at least a few pros is that they ALL ride Bones Swiss bearings.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
fuck you bama

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »
that was written by someone else long after he had committed suicide

I can only guess that it was written by Jason Rogers pretending to be Ted Barrow.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2018, 09:19:48 PM »
Think's demise, I had heard from reps for High Speed back when it was the Funzalida fiasco, was just Greg Carrol and Keith Cochrane (or whoever was calling the shots) wanting it to be fresh rather than hesh. Once Wade, the Butcher, and Pete the Ox were all gone they couldn't wait to swap over to Krooked, the newest DLX company. Not really a Producers-esque conspiracy, but just a couple of idiots making bad choices.

Which would lead to the whole thing with DLX (Real, Anti-Hero, Spitfire, Thunder, Krooked...), High Speed (Think, Lucky, Venture) as well as Indy, Thrasher, and even this here SLAP all being under the Fausto Vitello empire and basically all coming from the same place in SF. I believe Indy, Thunder, and Venture all come out of the same (made in the USA!) manufacturing plant.
And this collusion between Deluxe and Thrasher is why skaters like Jamie Thomas and others were banned by Thrasher for some time.

I kind of assume this is all common knowledge and not as juicy as the Guy/Justin thing, which was also kind of a well known secret.

Another good conspiracy that I can confirm is true with at least a few pros is that they ALL ride Bones Swiss bearings.
Pretty sure Jamie Thomas banged someone high-up at DLX (or affiliated companies) girl or wife, and that got him booted from Indy, Spitfire and banned from Thrasher. Jamie moved out to Cali when he was on Real flow, and was kicked off Spitfire.

I don't think they've ever really had issues with competing brands. Pretty sure Rickk and Mike have said Fausto was one of the first ot have their back after splitting with World.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• evensteven
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2018, 10:10:44 PM »
MIND CONTROL

even the steven

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2018, 11:02:27 PM »

Isn't that pretty obvious? This blog is clearly that of some insane writer who is: pretty talented at creative writing/a huge skate nerd (who may probably know some people in the industry)/also a total nutcase, lol. If you read around the blog it seems to clearly be based off a select few people in the skate industry, just with some names changed around. It's so weird but also pretty well written and fascinating.

Guy Mariano is still with the lady who left Justin Pierce for him, she's in his Epicly Later'd. Her name is Gina or something, they're married and have a kid or 2.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:04:25 PM by GOKU »

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »
the Deer man of the Dark woods is Alex Chalmers

Also heard people claim Deer Man was Jon West, haha. Deer Man is some dude named Mike, there's old video parts of him unmasked but I can't remember his full name right now. That shit can be found with a little bit of effort.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Isn't that pretty obvious? This blog is clearly that of some insane writer who is: pretty talented at creative writing/a huge skate nerd (who may probably know some people in the industry)/also a total nutcase, lol. If you read around the blog it seems to clearly be based off a select few people in the skate industry, just with some names changed around. It's so weird but also pretty well written and fascinating.

Guy Mariano is still with the lady who left Justin Pierce for him, she's in his Epicly Later'd. Her name is Gina or something, they're married and have a kid or 2.
It's fan fiction by some but who also sold them as dollar stories. He was in Slap and admitted to it and was shocked when people came at him for writing something pretending to be Justin after his suicide.

Edit: I think I found it

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First result for a search on "guy mariano justin pierce wife"

http://secondhandembarrassment.blogspot.com/2010/02/casper-friendly-ghost.html?m=1

"If you go around saying that I was extra upset because it was Guy who fucked Gina- then you shouldn't be talking about things that you don't know. For one thing, I couldn't even be bothered by Guy that much. Of course since I'm a skater, some would automatically assume I would just go to pieces because it was Guy Mariano who fucked my wife. But,if you must know, it would have hurt just the same if it had been someone like Dave Duren or Chris Pastras. "

I read this years ago and assumed it was real. I have no clue if it is or just more Internet bullshit. Either way.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Guy vs Justin Pierce / entire NYC skate scene
[close]

elaborate?
[close]

[close]
[close]
Man, its some tard writing from the perspective of Justin Pierce like a fucking weirdo. The guy mentions Harold being dead which happened way after Pierce killed himself. The person who wrote this needs help.
[close]

Nah, Seneca (the "person who wrote this") doesn't need help. He's an incredible writer who just happens to use skateboarding as the medium for his stories.

Don't take shit so seriously, unless of course you were Justin's friend. It's a stab at literary fiction from a skater's point of view, even if it is a bit dark. The Dave Duren line was fucking poetry.
[close]
He's writing fan fiction about the situation that led to someones suicide. Its straight up disrespectful to everyone involved and a situation he probably knows little about. Writing fan fiction about some ones suicide and how they felt is beyond morbid and the writing isn't that talented regardless of what you think. 
[close]

maybe you should COMMIT SUICIDE
[close]

Wow..your very first post on slap is to tell someone to commit suicide?? Might as well just focus your account now..do us all and yourself a favor.
[close]

Along these lines,  also from the perspective of Justin Pierce, Seneca Garcia has written a One Dollar Story called "It's Impossible for me to Make Imaginary Love to You, Because Even When I Beat Off It Seems Too Good to be True" which mostly takes place inside Supreme and in Justin's head, a really strong work. (full disclosure, I run One Dollar Stories) go to onedollarstories.bigcartel.com to buy some. We also have a story written by Scott Bourne and I have written some skate related fiction in our catalog. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:05:12 AM by SodaJerk »

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2018, 01:28:46 AM »
Gonz came at Natas just like Tanya Harding's goons to Nancy Kerrigan and whacked his ankle with a hockey stick ending his skate career.

morningcommute

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2018, 04:27:38 AM »
Galen Dekemper is midnite cruiser who does one dollar stories and is the dude who made the NY scene vid rich mahogany. is that right?

as an art school transplant to ny I wonder if he got any flack for putting that story zine out

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2018, 04:48:32 AM »
i'm getting:
"By the time she fucked him, he wasn't the same person who did the nosegrind/heelflip/ tailslide line at San Pedro. That Guy had been long gone."
tatted around my neck
who the fuck are these people lol

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2018, 05:40:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Pretty sure Jamie Thomas banged someone high-up at DLX (or affiliated companies) girl or wife, and that got him booted from Indy, Spitfire and banned from Thrasher. Jamie moved out to Cali when he was on Real flow, and was kicked off Spitfire.

I don't think they've ever really had issues with competing brands. Pretty sure Rickk and Mike have said Fausto was one of the first ot have their back after splitting with World.
DLX used to have weird issues with competing brands in their own operation, both the original version of American Dream and Metropolitan Wheel company were shut down cuz they were doing better than Real and Spitfire, American Dream had to do with DLX didn't have enough ownership in the brand, Metropolitan cuz I guess you just can't outsell spitfire. I also remember that originally Supreme was started as an East Coast DLX store, one of the McGrath brother was sent to get it started. Do y'all remember when they had the blue box logo Deluxe stickers, then supreme had the same stickers but in red which became the Supreme box logo. I'm guessing it was originally a partnership with the Jebbia dude and eventually DLX just sold it all to him.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »
Galen Dekemper is midnite cruiser who does one dollar stories and is the dude who made the NY scene vid rich mahogany. is that right?

as an art school transplant to ny I wonder if he got any flack for putting that story zine out

i think rob harris made rich mahogany. that guy/justin fan fiction is pretty fucked up to write. or maybe more so to release. i think midnite cruiser posted some of his videos on here that were mostly unwatchable. deer man is some dude named mike mckinlay i think. you can see him in old skate canadas

Jonny Utah

• Rep: -32
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2018, 08:33:35 AM »
I've heard rumors about Vans being anti Jew, anyone wanna educate me on if this is true or false?

shark tits

« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
i'm getting:
"By the time she fucked him, he wasn't the same person who did the nosegrind/heelflip/ tailslide line at San Pedro. That Guy had been long gone."
tatted around my neck
who the fuck are these people lol
jimi britches?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 904
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »
I've heard rumors about Vans being anti Jew, anyone wanna educate me on if this is true or false?

I brought this up I think on here like one time and it's absolute hearsay and is more than likely BS. Friend of a friend's mom worked at Vans corporate and that's where he heard it. Said the waffle soles have the star of david on them to "stomp out the jews."

The more I think about it the more it sounds like some middle schooler made it up.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/star-quality/

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2018, 09:28:01 AM »
That Brink has the whole story

bucketoftruth

• Rep: 12
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/star-quality/
Its partly true, but its not Vans' fault. The quality and quantity of skinhead garbage in the OC area is shocking and those idiots are known to jerk of on any hint of nazi symbolism.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2018, 09:51:51 AM »
the biggest conspiracy is that there is a market for companies like SOVRN

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
some skaters were forced by THE INDUSTRY to change
up their fits, their style, their tricks and even their names

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
Chris Cole, Peter Raymondetta, and Elijah Berle are prime examples. Alex Olson's real name is Alex Parker and Sean Pablo's real name is Sean Murphy lol.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2018, 10:21:55 AM »
Chris Cole, Peter Raymondetta, and Elijah Berle are prime examples. Alex Olson's real name is Alex Parker and Sean Pablo's real name is Sean Murphy lol.
Jon sciano vs Jon Scianneauxxxxlo

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house