Author Topic: Skateboarding conspiracies thread  (Read 175295 times)

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Re: Skateboarding conspiracies thread
« Reply #540 on: February 20, 2019, 09:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if this has been a post, but I got a pretty good one. Came up with it while super high.

Decks have always been about the same price, right? Until recently.....

Back in the 80’s, boards were super wide. And then as the late 90’s came around, they started getting more and more narrow. Using less wood. Hence the same price around $50 per deck.

Not until recently have decks started to go up to about $55, maybe $60 if it had foil or it’s a slick or something.

Boards are also a lot wider now.

Companies deliberately started making boards smaller to use less wood and keep the price point at around $50 to keep up with inflation. And now the trend is wider boards which use more material, so the price point is now going up.

If this trend continues for the foreseeable future, we’ll see boards rise above $60. If we’re to keep that $55 price point, we’ll start seeing cheaper made boards across the board, or the trend of smaller decks will come back.

I hope I didn’t trip anyone out too bad.
[close]
This doesn't change much, though, it isn't like they use the rest of the wood to make new boards, they probably just use the same 10 inch sheets of wood to all board sizes.
but were woodshops running 10 inch sheets in the skinny-board days?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #541 on: February 20, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if this has been a post, but I got a pretty good one. Came up with it while super high.

Back in the 80’s, boards were super wide. And then as the late 90’s came around, they started getting more and more narrow. Using less wood. Hence the same price around $50 per deck.

Not until recently have decks started to go up to about $55, maybe $60 if it had foil or it’s a slick or something.

Companies deliberately started making boards smaller to use less wood and keep the price point at around $50 to keep up with inflation. And now the trend is wider boards which use more material, so the price point is now going up.

If this trend continues for the foreseeable future, we’ll see boards rise above $60. If we’re to keep that $55 price point, we’ll start seeing cheaper made boards across the board, or the trend of smaller decks will come back.

[close]
This doesn't change much, though, it isn't like they use the rest of the wood to make new boards, they probably just use the same 10 inch sheets of wood to all board sizes.
[close]
Probably. The ability to round and shape without worry outweighs the cost of the wood I would think. 7.5 and 8.5 isn't that big of a difference.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #542 on: February 21, 2019, 02:51:24 AM »
Companies put out b-sides and rough cuts to subtly encourage amateur re-edits. These re-edits, when uploaded to YouTube, ensure that the actual part/video will be lost in the mix and thus, much more difficult to bootleg.

except pretty much all of them are posted on thrasher, which the companies pay to put up there, so surely they don't care about ti getting bootlegged?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #543 on: February 21, 2019, 05:30:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Reynolds was indeed suppose to go to Adidas. Same sources that knew MJ and Daewon were going had his name in the mix as well. Turns out Soletech wasn't having it and held him to his contract then threatened legal action. I know MJ broke his contract causing the Carroll debacle. I'm not sure about Daewon but I'm assuming it was on better terms since there wasn't any public backlash and if it wasn't on good terms they were just simply more professional than Crail. I still support Reynolds and its been 3 years since that big switch but if he once again decides to make the switch I think people will be accepting of the move. Unless he pulls a total MJ, which i doubt he would.
[close]
MJ didn't break his contract. Crail was hoping he'd do them a solid by waiting it out until they sold his dead stock. He decided it was in his best interest to appear in that segment with Daewon and get on Adidas for an immediate paycheck. Carroll just melted down because a business that was already struggling got left with a bunch of dead stock and he thought MJ lied to him.
[close]
they both got on addidas on the same time? I thought daewon just got on a year or so ago?
[close]
They announced both Daewon and Marc in the segment in Away Days.
[close]
guess I’m behind the times, another thing isn’t it weird how some of the Lakai guys leave for addidas? Lucas puig, MJ, Chico,

Didn't Scoot Johnston went from designing Lakai to Adidas?

Or was Kelly Bird? I don't remember.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #544 on: February 21, 2019, 07:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Companies put out b-sides and rough cuts to subtly encourage amateur re-edits. These re-edits, when uploaded to YouTube, ensure that the actual part/video will be lost in the mix and thus, much more difficult to bootleg.
[close]

except pretty much all of them are posted on thrasher, which the companies pay to put up there, so surely they don't care about ti getting bootlegged?

Yeah, why would they care if their free content gets seen for free? I think the rough cuts are just a way to give content another push, and that’s evident in that most rough cuts are just the part, in order, with more roll up and roll away.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #545 on: February 21, 2019, 07:12:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've never heard of this. which companies are paying?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #546 on: February 21, 2019, 07:13:39 AM »
Literally all of them
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #547 on: February 21, 2019, 07:15:26 AM »
Literally all of them

i mean thats not true, but ok!

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #548 on: February 21, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Literally all of them
[close]

Well, yeah. It’s usually easy to tell, is like to think. I need to stop blindly replying to shit like an asshole.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #549 on: February 21, 2019, 07:52:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, why would they care if their free content gets seen for free? I think the rough cuts are just a way to give content another push, and that’s evident in that most rough cuts are just the part, in order, with more roll up and roll away.
Go try and pull up a part from Made and tell me what you find.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #550 on: February 21, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

rough cuts on thrasher are just a way to milk the content til the last drop

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #551 on: February 21, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »
I think that Allen is actually right.

If I have paid $1000 to have an ad on Thrasher, I could easily slip in another $500 for web content.

Seeing how big thrasher has become and kept itself relative I won't be surprised if they charged prices for online stuff as they have become one of they only source of "relevant" skateboard media.

Videos are publicity and publicity aint free.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #552 on: February 21, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
Total conjecture, but here goes...

I've had friends host their videos on Thrasher either for free, or Thrasher threw some change their way. The brand is not in a position to charge to host mostly meaningless content that will likely get lost to the ages. They need the constant stream of content as much as people who host their videos on Thrasher need the "exposure," or whatever. It's a symbiotic relationship.

I'd imagine for big releases and guaranteed clicks, like a Zion Wright part, there's a deal made, but I bet most of their revenue likely comes from the pre-roll ads we all have to suffer through.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

PatoDuck

• Rep: -31
« Reply #553 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Probably. The ability to round and shape without worry outweighs the cost of the wood I would think. 7.5 and 8.5 isn't that big of a difference.
Its an Inch difference,

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #554 on: February 21, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »
Nike owns Frog
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #555 on: February 21, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
Nike owns Frog
nah its a subsidiary of salba sauce and associates.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #556 on: February 21, 2019, 09:13:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
Its an Inch difference,

who was that oil baron that saved a shit ton of money by using one less drop of solder for each oil drum lid? rockefeller? I bet if woodshops were more precise they could save a lot of money on wood that just ends up as scrap and pass the savings on to us.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #557 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:05 AM »
The Slap search function isn't yielding any results so can anyone clarify in what the real reason was behind koston's departure from Lakai

Was it something to do with the fact that Lakai were hiding profits and sales from Koston's pro model in order to pay him less or something?

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #558 on: February 21, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »
koston just always had a massive nike boner, and wanted to be tiger woods. i think he just wanted to skate for them
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

PatoDuck

« Reply #559 on: February 21, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Literally all of them
[close]

[close]

Well, yeah. It’s usually easy to tell, is like to think. I need to stop blindly replying to shit like an asshole.
agreed

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #560 on: February 21, 2019, 11:36:05 AM »
Turdybird is actually Patlanta trying to exact revenge on slap for harming the publics view on 1010 now that Gentle jones is nowhere to be found

feedmeseymour

« Reply #561 on: February 21, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
Turdybird is actually Patlanta trying to exact revenge on slap for harming the publics view on 1010 now that Gentle jones is nowhere to be found

hes hiding behind a fat stack of NHS product so that way the neo nazis that threatened his life wont find him.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #562 on: February 21, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
Hahaha damn Dipshit Jerry going at all lengths to get my attention. Not a conspiracy, he's just a lil bitch
The chillest1

PatoDuck

« Reply #563 on: February 21, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Hahaha damn Dipshit Jerry going at all lengths to get my attention. Not a conspiracy, he's just a lil bitch
I honestly feel bad for you, I don’t want Jerry Gurrney hitting  me up online. Pray the Gurrney away🙏🏻

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #564 on: February 21, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I honestly feel bad for you, I don’t want Jerry Gurrney hitting  me up online. Pray the Gurrney away🙏🏻

In a way, its flattering. Would not want to session with real life Jerry G.

Expand Quote
[close]

hes hiding behind a fat stack of NHS product so that way the neo nazis that threatened his life wont find him.

I would honestly be cool with a fat stack of NHS product
The chillest1

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
« Reply #565 on: February 21, 2019, 12:36:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Makes more sense than what I previously thought he was up to- on a promotional tour of his new album "Thank you for your service"

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

In a way, its flattering. Would not want to session with real life Jerry G.

Gurrrrrrrrrrney

shalom

PatoDuck

« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
He probably does a lot of fucked drugs tbh. Reminds me of this kid I used to hang out with who turned to using a lot of drugs

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #568 on: February 21, 2019, 12:51:02 PM »
The Slap search function isn't yielding any results so can anyone clarify in what the real reason was behind koston's departure from Lakai

Was it something to do with the fact that Lakai were hiding profits and sales from Koston's pro model in order to pay him less or something?

In an interview right before Lakai he said that money was a factor with Nike and it would only be for the right price. But iirc he left Lakai in part cause he wanted some form of ownership stake and couldn’t get it. Which was always rumored as to why he left Es too.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
« Reply #569 on: February 21, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In an interview right before Lakai he said that money was a factor with Nike and it would only be for the right price. But iirc he left Lakai in part cause he wanted some form of ownership stake and couldn’t get it. Which was always rumored as to why he left Es too.

It is crazy think how powerful eS was at one point. Koston certainly played a role in their demise.

I think I only wore the accel, accel plus, and accelerate for at least 3 or 4 years straight. I happily poured money into Sole Tech and now, I begrudgingly buy their shoes because, well, I don't really have a good reason.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?