Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
488 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 685

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 169969 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Just noticed the newest run of Zero is listed on their site as resin 7 , so I guess back to DSM. I think they bounce back and forth between BBS and China.

If it just comes down to price, one extra dollar in price rise per board can definitely make a big difference to the bottom line of any board brand.

Can easily understand why some companies are going with cheaper options for their wood.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Any idea who does Tightbooth? They're from Japan, so probably DSM like Evisen?

https://shop.tightbooth.com/?mode=cate&csid=0&cbid=2818764&sort=n
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Any idea who does Tightbooth? They're from Japan, so probably DSM like Evisen?

Not that it would have any relevance, but those stickers look a lot like another brand that uses an "unknown" woodshop in China, but from seeing all those close up pics, it could easily be HLC as well.

Similar looking concave too, as in lots of fingers of flat before the curve of the kicks.

All of that could be totally shot down though, because until you stand on it or feel it out, it would be very hard to determine.

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Just had a closer look at the ones i have at the shop right now. No hint on the tops but i put them side to side with some Evisen decks.
Wood looks / feels exactly the same as Evisen's
I could match identical shapes (dims and concaves)
Similar laser itching at the front truck holes, similar slightly over the top top printings (i love it)
For what it's worth (not much), both brands come through the same distribution here in France.
I would bet my money on DSM
Definitely don't look / feel like HLC

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
I believe that In the New issue of Free Skate Mag in his interview Ryuhei Kitazume mentions that Tightbooth are making boards, might be a mis-translation/misphrasing
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:08:16 PM by Basingstoke »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Just had a closer look at the ones i have at the shop right now. No hint on the tops but i put them side to side with some Evisen decks.
Wood looks / feels exactly the same as Evisen's
I could match identical shapes (dims and concaves)
Similar laser itching at the front truck holes, similar slightly over the top top printings (i love it)
For what it's worth (not much), both brands come through the same distribution here in France.
I would bet my money on DSM
Definitely don't look / feel like HLC

Ha yeah, nothing is better than having one in your hands to be able to check over and see what it looks and feels like.

Another one to add to the list.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
  • Just deck / woodshop info
Had no idea JT Aultz works for BBS.

He breaks down some wood shop deets with the 9Club.

I finally had enough time to watch all of this and it is pretty interesting with the woodshop info.

JT seems pretty chilled and they go a bit hard at him sometimes, but he held up well and didn't give away any trade secrets with regard to BBS, so I feel like it was a good watch, both for the woodshop info and about him personally.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Re Alien Workshop, Habitat and Metal Skateboards wood info 2023, as per other post in different thread:

Depends where in the world you are.

In US pro decks and twins should be BBS, team decks most likely China.
You can recognize BBS decks by red/white or black/white warning sticker on top ply saying 'Made in Mexico'.
Examples of BBS made Alien and Habitat decks
https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/spears-bully-8375-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/suciu-lone-wolf-8375-twin-tail-skateboard-deck

Some older Alien and Habitat decks were made by PS Stix and can be recognized by laser engraved serial number on top ply and 'made in Mexico' sticker.

China decks usually have bottom ply silver sticker with hand saying 'made with premium north American maple and glue'.
Example of China made Habitat
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/mosaic-20-8375-twin-tail-skateboard-deck
There are still bunch of China made pro decks in circulation and shapes and concave seems to be same like on BBS made decks.

For Europe, latest batch of decks seems to be China ones.

I dropped AWS insta a DM (like a man) to ask if they were still making boards with BBS.

The few I have at home still have the black and white made in Mexico sticker.  Primitive and Element use a combination of BBS and China boards, could have been stock that was sent for production in late 2021 / mid 2022 since the lead time between dealer catalog release and when those specific graphics go on sale is at least 3-6 months in advance.

Edit from AWS:
BBS - pro models from Habitat / Metal / AWS, Twin Tail
PS Stix - Austyn Gillette pro model with wheel wells
Logo decks - recent ones like the Logo Hex embossed are DSM, older ones before 2023 are BBS (my guess)

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
Does anyone know the dimensions for standard BBS popsicle shapes that companies like The Heated Wheel (I’m told) use for their boards?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Does anyone know the dimensions for standard BBS popsicle shapes that companies like The Heated Wheel (I’m told) use for their boards?

The very first issue of an 8.38 I thought was the same as the DLX and other boards, when I saw one, but it seems like they are shorter now, or at least shorter wheelbase.

Not sure about the other sizes, but I think someone (maybe you) had asked in another thread and I didn't see any response.

What size were you after?

I saw you started the Heated Wheel thread when I went looking, so I can also post there if I do find more info on board sizes, dimensions, etc.

Heated Wheel thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125033.0

Edit:

Two shops I know that also list dimensions have quite a few of their boards:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/collections/the-heated-wheel-1

https://www.basementskate.com.au/brands/the-heated-wheel/

Basement skate has the dimensions in the specs tab of each listing, in case it doesn't show up easily.

Eg

Width (inches)    8.25
Length (inches)    31.75
Wheelbase (inches)    14.25

Width (inches)    8.38
Length (inches)    32

Width (inches)    8.5
Length (inches)    32
Wheelbase (inches)    14.375

Width (inches)    8.75
Length (inches)    32.375
Wheelbase (inches)    14.375

They were all normal popsicles at least.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 03:38:59 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
Expand Quote
[close]

The very first issue of an 8.38 I thought was the same as the DLX and other boards, when I saw one, but it seems like they are shorter now, or at least shorter wheelbase.

Not sure about the other sizes, but I think someone (maybe you) had asked in another thread and I didn't see any response.

What size were you after?

I saw you started the Heated Wheel thread when I went looking, so I can also post there if I do find more info on board sizes, dimensions, etc.

Heated Wheel thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125033.0

Edit:

Two shops I know that also list dimensions have quite a few of their boards:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/collections/the-heated-wheel-1

https://www.basementskate.com.au/brands/the-heated-wheel/

Basement skate has the dimensions in the specs tab of each listing, in case it doesn't show up easily.

Eg

Width (inches)    8.25
Length (inches)    31.75

Width (inches)    8.38
Length (inches)    32

Thanks!  Super helpful!  Those dimensions Basement lists are helpful.  Have definitely been wanting to confirm some the wheel base / total lengths- and there has been some differing information depending on the skateshop - this clears it up for me!

Pasta Monster

Is the 8.25 shape with the square nose that Snack uses the 8.25 full from PS Stix? I’ve wanted one for a while but other brands look more like the 8.25 standard. Since Snack and WKND aren’t options locally, what’s a bigger brand that uses the same shape?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

I haven't watched it yet, but someone just sent me this:

* Probably already up somewhere, but it is the woodshop thread and this is relevant, so I am thinking this is NOT the first post of this on here.

Sure enough, more already here in the Ben DG thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124697.180

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:25:39 PM by Mbrimson88 »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276

* Probably already up somewhere, but it is the woodshop thread and this is relevant, so I am thinking this is NOT the first post of this on here.

julio now works with PsStix..i love his part in 1281 & Da deal is dead..armando barajas as well..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:01:44 PM by GBLange »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

julio now works with PsStix..i love his part in 1281 & Da deal is dead..armando barajas as well..

https://www.instagram.com/lasamericas2382/

If you are on Instagram, check this account for Julio.

Interesting he had worked at BBS once upon a time, then was working for / with Clutch for a while and now for / with PS Stix.

I don't have any issues with him or any of the woodshops, but curious to see the changes over the years.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
Anybody knows if the Hopps denley kid decks are clutch or bbs? I guess clutch, right?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
Anybody knows if the Hopps denley kid decks are clutch or bbs? I guess clutch, right?

I'd imagine if they're 2022 decks it's BBS.

Per the first post:
Hopps* 2022+   ……….   ……….   BBS
Hopps* 2021   ……….   ……….   Clutch

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
Julio originally worked at dwindle I think too….I always thought he owned clutch….

SlapMcKracken

Expand Quote
[close]

I'd imagine if they're 2022 decks it's BBS.

Per the first post:
Hopps* 2022+   ……….   ……….   BBS
Hopps* 2021   ……….   ……….   Clutch

I think that one is from 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Julio originally worked at dwindle I think too….I always thought he owned clutch….

I am guessing he was a "main man" for the woodshop at one point, or at least partnered with them for all his products, for Neighborhood and his distro business through South America, or at least that is what I assumed going by social media and videos he had posted on youtube with some pretty solid shout outs to specific people.

When I looked up a lot of info for the woodshop thread back in 2020 or so, I came up with these names, but that could also change or someone else now the main face or person in charge of the business.

BBS owned by Grant Burns

PS Stix owned by Paul Schmitt

Clutch owned by Bruce Rodela

I also have the list of most of the smaller woodshops, who are usually single operators with additional staff, but I think that is not such a big deal and some of the guys don't really want names and info published on here anyway.  People who know them often say their names on their social media or other places anyway, eg Thanks (insert name here) for the boards.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
And like all things skate….more often than not….it’s owned by ‘some dude’…..not shoe we think….

I hope the dwindle shop still sticks around…….I wonder if NHS buys it….

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
And like all things skate….more often than not….it’s owned by ‘some dude’…..not shoe we think….

I hope the dwindle shop still sticks around…….I wonder if NHS buys it….

I thought people had said Dwindle (the company) was a different entity to DSM (the woodshop) and it was only Dwindle that was sold, not the DSM woodshop, which is still owned by someone else.

That said, like everything, it is a "wait and see" more than anything.

SlapMcKracken

Ordered an 8“ Hopps deck and wtf; I’ve never skated such a pointy deck in my life.
It’s from 2021, so maybe it’s a clutch one.

Are current Hopps decks that pointy too?
I thought 8“ baker is pointy, but damn…

I really like Hopps as a brand. Too bad.

Any recommendations for 8“ decks that are more rounded besides hockey/fa/alien/habitat?
I guess GX is good too. What about Snack for example?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ordered an 8“ Hopps deck and wtf; I’ve never skated such a pointy deck in my life.

Any recommendations for 8“ decks that are more rounded besides hockey/fa/alien/habitat?

Pizza if you don't care about the brand, PS Stix for $30 or less from The Drop.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258

Grab a PS-made Quasi. That should do the trick.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I can't remember if I had posted this before, but I think I had maybe in another thread:

https://www.instagram.com/the_shred_sled_skateboard_co/

Makeboarder
Denver, CO. Middle aged skateboarder making custom 🛹 by 🖐, one at a time. Skateboards made your way. Follow my journey
shredsledskateboards.etsy.com

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Expand Quote

[close]

Frog and Magenta are some BBS 8"s I've skated personally and enjoyed their shapes.
Crailtap 8"s are pretty solid if you can get down with the China wood which isn't that bad imo
Primitive/April 8" look nice too. The 8.25 Primitive shape was perfect with Ventures before I sized down

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Frog and Magenta are some BBS 8"s I've skated personally and enjoyed their shapes.
Crailtap 8"s are pretty solid if you can get down with the China wood which isn't that bad imo
Primitive/April 8" look nice too. The 8.25 Primitive shape was perfect with Ventures before I sized down

What was your favorite crail 8?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I am thinking it would be good to update some of the board pics, especially if some have had woodshop changes so if anyone has warning sticker / manufacturing sticker or laser engraving pics of new boards, please post them so I can add them to the main page.

Most of the ones I have are now a few years old at best, so while still being ok for some, others are quite outdated.

There also seems to be an increase in different continents getting different wood for the same brands, so if anyone notices anything besides what is listed, it would be good to know that as well.

Eg

Element has BBS and China for US, AU and HLC for EU
Birdhouse has BBS and China (both pro and budget wood options) for AU

Toy Machine still seems like it has a bit of everything, some BBS, PS Stix, China, etc.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

What was your favorite crail 8?
I like the G018 & G045. Both are pretty similar tbh but the G045 does have a tiny tail if you're not a fan of that