Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547275 times)

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #750 on: January 30, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
(repost from the gear you contemplate buying thread, forgot this counts as a big boy)
Frog Super Junko
Width: 10" Length: 29.7" Wheelbase: 14.25" Nose: 4.25" Tail: 6.75"
never owned a board below 31.3" but would want to try it for fun. at 6'5" would i even be able to do anything but cruise on this if im all legs? crazy dims but would be pissed if i spend $60 and it ends up a cruiser.

to the tall skaters, how was your experience riding a wide and short deck?

I stay clear of anything less than 31 long...recently i got nostalgic about boards i use to ride in 80’s and 90’s and bought a few reissues...the original Barbee ragdoll was fine as its 31.5 i think...then I tried the Vallely and even the new Winkowski shape...got dangerous pretty quick. Simple things like pushing and then getting your feet back on the tail...a few times my feet went past the tail and onto the ground. Landing tricks, again, back foot too close to the edge of the tail.

Im sure you’ll get use to it...i’m just to old to risk a hard fall just to get use to something.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #751 on: January 30, 2020, 09:07:02 PM »
Expand Quote
(repost from the gear you contemplate buying thread, forgot this counts as a big boy)
Frog Super Junko
Width: 10" Length: 29.7" Wheelbase: 14.25" Nose: 4.25" Tail: 6.75"
never owned a board below 31.3" but would want to try it for fun. at 6'5" would i even be able to do anything but cruise on this if im all legs? crazy dims but would be pissed if i spend $60 and it ends up a cruiser.

to the tall skaters, how was your experience riding a wide and short deck?

[close]

I stay clear of anything less than 31 long...recently i got nostalgic about boards i use to ride in 80’s and 90’s and bought a few reissues...the original Barbee ragdoll was fine as its 31.5 i think...then I tried the Vallely and even the new Winkowski shape...got dangerous pretty quick. Simple things like pushing and then getting your feet back on the tail...a few times my feet went past the tail and onto the ground. Landing tricks, again, back foot too close to the edge of the tail.

Im sure you’ll get use to it...i’m just to old to risk a hard fall just to get use to something.
nah ill pass on that. ive had my fair share of asphalt but the pain of a high speed split plus the embarrassment to come might actually kill me. 31" is a safe bet
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #752 on: January 30, 2020, 09:08:09 PM »
The winkowski worked with me, but the tail is fat and even the nose has good space to land on.
The frog seems like it has a pretty narrow tail and nose.
It looks to me like a shape to be ridden with 149s or so and for people that usually skate smaller (~8”) pops.

PMA

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #753 on: January 30, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Love the turn on 161's but anything 54 or larger needs risers.
My friend Logan Devlin made the rails, he was gonna do a rail company but didn't go forward with them.
[close]

I can't even ride 54s without risers on 151s....

Do the 161s turn better than the 151s?. I know they are slightly higher. just wondering if this gives them a 'deeper' turn?
Yea deeper turns for sure and a mix of stability and squirrely. I thought they would be too big but turns out I love em. More grind space and carve too.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #754 on: January 30, 2020, 09:47:52 PM »
Damn, you sold me.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #755 on: January 31, 2020, 06:34:12 AM »
forgot to throw this in here

workshop 9 inch
169 stage 11 standards with stock bushings
56mm 99a f4 classics (probably 54's now)
jessup

held it up to a 9 inch eagle that i had and its the same dims. this nose is just a typical workshop nose, the eagle seemed to have a slightly more symmetrical nose and tail.
old bump but @ CINCINNATI  how are you liking this AWS compared to the AH orange eagle?

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #756 on: January 31, 2020, 06:52:10 AM »
the name of this thread will make me laugh a little in my head every time I read it

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #757 on: February 02, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »

Orange Crusher 9.1 (L33", W15")
Jessup grip
Ricta Clouds 54mm 78a
FKD bearings with spacers
Indy 169 stage 11 hollows

Somehow i find the 169 stock bushings are way softer than the stock ones in my 159..normally i just tighten the nut just flush with the kingpin, but on this 169,i had to crank em down roughly 1 thread below the top of the kingpin.. the 169 bushings is more of a bright orange compared to the 159s slightly dull orange color.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: February 02, 2020, 09:19:02 AM »

Jessup grip
Ricta Clouds 54mm 78a

Somehow i find the 169 stock bushings are way softer than the stock ones in my 159..normally i just tighten the nut just flush with the kingpin, but on this 169,i had to crank em down roughly 1 thread below the top of the kingpin.. the 169 bushings is more of a bright orange compared to the 159s slightly dull orange color.
hows this ride w the Indy? Still like an 18” axle to axle wb..? Close buying this deck many times curious what you’re riding mostly street/tranny/cruise/curbs?
those bushing are white, so you switched em out? My 169 std bushings feel soft too but have you broke em in at all?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #759 on: February 02, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
Orange Crusher + 169s is a perfect combo

It's noticeably long, but that's why it feels so right for big transition.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #760 on: February 02, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »

been loving this shape, this is my 3rd one

9.125 x 32.187, WB - 14.25 Primitive Franky Villani
6.1 Kader Venture Trucks
56 F4 Conical Full Spitfires
Hard Luck bearings

I had the 161 thunders on before but have a smaller truck has felt a little better, anyone else riding this shape?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #761 on: February 02, 2020, 12:50:31 PM »
Expand Quote

Jessup grip
Ricta Clouds 54mm 78a

[close]
hows this ride w the Indy? Still like an 18” axle to axle wb..? Close buying this deck many times curious what you’re riding mostly street/tranny/cruise/curbs?
those bushing are white, so you switched em out? My 169 std bushings feel soft too but have you broke em in at all?
I think this may just have to do with the geometry of 169s. I have harder bushings in all my trucks and also have to tighten my 169s more than any other truck I've ridden. Even after that, they're still pretty surfy for me. Also noticed they're pretty noisy even after break in and putting some wax in the pivot cups.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #762 on: February 02, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
Expand Quote
forgot to throw this in here

workshop 9 inch
169 stage 11 standards with stock bushings
56mm 99a f4 classics (probably 54's now)
jessup

held it up to a 9 inch eagle that i had and its the same dims. this nose is just a typical workshop nose, the eagle seemed to have a slightly more symmetrical nose and tail.
[close]
old bump but @ CINCINNATI  how are you liking this AWS compared to the AH orange eagle?

just finished skating it, and i’m a fan. only noticeable difference is the nose seems more full than the eagle which i kind of like. other than that the dims were almost identical holding it next to a skated eagle

Ned Providence

• Rep: 13
« Reply #763 on: February 03, 2020, 08:13:43 AM »

Just got the T-Funk Baker rode the Corey Kennedy before with the 13.87 WB!

9.25X32
WB 14
Venture 6.1
AA Formula Four 55mm

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #764 on: February 03, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »

9.25X32
WB 14
Venture 6.1
AA Formula Four 55mm
how is that deck combo with 6.1s? i still have them to eventually try them with decks like that
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ned Providence

« Reply #765 on: February 03, 2020, 02:10:41 PM »
Expand Quote

9.25X32
WB 14
Venture 6.1
AA Formula Four 55mm
[close]
how is that deck combo with 6.1s? i still have them to eventually try them with decks like that

They're working really well, I like ventures with a short wheel base. I had the Girl couch shape before this with Indy's and it seemed too short and squirrely. This WB is 14" so with the Ventures it's perfect almost feels like a 14.25 WB if that makes sense. I like the 6.1's quite a bit once you mess with the bushings a little.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #766 on: February 03, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »
Been skating my Gonz 9.8 with 151s, 56mm and rails and its been great except I can't flip the thing for shit. I need all the help I can get with my 5 flip tricks... I think I've reached my limit with big boards. Going to stat scaling down again after this...

Next will be the Chocolate couch shape with the tiny wheelbase, 151s and 54s...

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #767 on: February 03, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

9.25X32
WB 14
Venture 6.1
AA Formula Four 55mm
[close]
[close]

They're working really well, I like ventures with a short wheel base. I had the Girl couch shape before this with Indy's and it seemed too short and squirrely. This WB is 14" so with the Ventures it's perfect almost feels like a 14.25 WB if that makes sense. I like the 6.1's quite a bit once you mess with the bushings a little.
definitely want to try the ventures with a 14 wb on a wide board. sadly thats the only deck i know with those dims right now and i see it for $60 everywhere

Ned Providence

« Reply #768 on: February 03, 2020, 02:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

9.25X32
WB 14
Venture 6.1
AA Formula Four 55mm
[close]
[close]

[close]
definitely want to try the ventures with a 14 wb on a wide board. sadly thats the only deck i know with those dims right now and i see it for $60 everywhere
Yeah short wb boards that are wide are super hard to find of course they're the boards I like the most, I spent a good hour at the shop diggin for this one. The new Simon board has that 13.87 wb works good with 6.1's!

animalflesh

« Reply #769 on: February 03, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »

Another dane

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #770 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

9.25X32
WB 14
Venture 6.1
AA Formula Four 55mm
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
Yeah short wb boards that are wide are super hard to find of course they're the boards I like the most, I spent a good hour at the shop diggin for this one. The new Simon board has that 13.87 wb works good with 6.1's!
im all legs so 14 is pushing it for me. anything below that and my knees are knockin

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #771 on: February 03, 2020, 05:12:49 PM »

Another dane

Nice Warthog sticker, bruv.

animalflesh

« Reply #772 on: February 03, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »
(;

Devil master on the nose too

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #773 on: February 03, 2020, 06:04:34 PM »

Another dane
how’s the Dane w aces? Feel like the wb is already cramped a bit.  I know you’re tall too

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #774 on: February 03, 2020, 06:13:28 PM »
Best looking Dane I’ve seen, them!
Can I ask for a top pic? 66 aces?

PMA

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #775 on: February 04, 2020, 03:03:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Jessup grip
Ricta Clouds 54mm 78a

[close]

Yup, i switched em out with the stock bushing from the louei lopez 149. Waiting for the indy 94a bushing and 52mm Spits F4 conical full to reach my doorstep this week. mostly cruise and curbs. For street i hv my 2 sets of 8.5. One with indy 159 stage 11 standard and the other with thunder 151 team hollows.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #776 on: February 04, 2020, 07:07:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Jessup grip
Ricta Clouds 54mm 78a

[close]
[close]
I think this may just have to do with the geometry of 169s. I have harder bushings in all my trucks and also have to tighten my 169s more than any other truck I've ridden. Even after that, they're still pretty surfy for me. Also noticed they're pretty noisy even after break in and putting some wax in the pivot cups.

At 1st i thought it was the different geometry of the 169. So i took the 169 stock bushing and put it into the 159s..definitely is softer.must be newer batch comes with softer rubber compound.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: February 04, 2020, 07:28:32 AM »
Could there be a difference between std and hollow bushings? Doubtful, maybe just neeer batches like you said. Not sure I wanna swap bushings or just keep breaking em in. I’m around 200lbs.
I do notice the pivot cups being a little squeeky as well even after a little wax in there. But my stds are surfy for sure.

animalflesh

« Reply #778 on: February 04, 2020, 07:58:05 AM »
jay_nev it definitely feels tighter than my usual setups, but I did a smaller than average wheel for me and wider trucks so it feels pretty stable, also the Danes long tail makes the pop feel light and snappy... not too much leverage required to get tricks

jtrpma thanks!

Yeah it’s ace 66 perfect fit look

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #779 on: February 04, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
jay_nev it definitely feels tighter than my usual setups, but I did a smaller than average wheel for me and wider trucks so it feels pretty stable, also the Danes long tail makes the pop feel light and snappy... not too much leverage required to get tricks

jtrpma thanks!

Yeah it’s ace 66 perfect fit look

That grip job is too crazy for me but super sick nonetheless  thom
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours