Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
488 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 685

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 170026 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I thought Rave is from France but here is listed as UK. I don't think there are 2 brands with the same name in the UE right?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Somehow I've been added to HLC's stock and pricelist mailer.

They are now doing Roger so I think you can add them to the HLC manufacture.
[close]

Thanks!

Is that everywhere, or just EU though?

DM if you have other info but better not to share with everyone.

I am curious.
i asked on ig, they confirmed bbs still.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 110
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks!

I am curious.
[close]

Well the Roger decks are 3 euro cheaper w/s than the flip and Skate Mental on the list. No way they are selling bbs imported to Europe for that price.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks!

I am curious.
[close]
[close]

Well the Roger decks are 3 euro cheaper w/s than the flip and Skate Mental on the list. No way they are selling bbs imported to Europe for that price.

It wouldn't be the first time that a company has their main stock on one wood (USA - BBS) and a licensing deal in EU on other wood (HLC), so that could easily be possible.

For some smaller companies or with weird distribution options, this is more common, especially with EU and South America, from what I had seen in the past.

Any which way, I had Roger as BBS from 2022 and on Clutch before that 2021 or so.

Does the HLC catalog have any graphics that show as current in other shops in USA or old stock or any other easily identifiable things? eg certain runs of graphics can be shown as newer or older or more generic are often the licensed graphics.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
Do you think the shop is BBS, DLX owned or is it an entirely new shop?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Do you think the shop is BBS, DLX owned or is it an entirely new shop?

Pure speculation, but I would imagine they could generate molds and put them in existing machinery or buy a whole new space with all new machinery to make things, so it could go either way really.

As others have said, existing woodshops do make things harder because they have all the existing molds, gear, etc, but the new ones can buy the newest tech products, like the stacks of single press ten deck mold arragements and be making twice as many more boards per press than any old single press stacks with four boards per press.

I know I had seen some double presses in older factories / woodshops too, but it would seem overall that it would not be too hard to set up a new space with the knowledge and processes and a little extra initial capital to fund a venture like that, then enjoy the benefits of lower production costs over the long term, as long as everything went as planned.

The work space required is not huge either, so you don't have to be in a massive building to begin with, considering the vertical stacking of presses, even though every other aspect of production is still fairly normal - ply sorting, dying, glue machine, sanding, heat transfers and shrink wrap.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
I’m hoping it’s DLX owned and new, it’ll be good to see something different in the mix.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Just looking through some links and this is just one example of an "unknown" woodshop in China.  I would not know what sort of quality they produce, be it just for budget completes or better quality decks, but they do other parts too, like copies of Indy and Thunder trucks, wheels, bearings, etc.

I couldn't say I have ever seen any of their boards, but I have seen some other boards of unknown origin that someone was selling, which looked and felt like good enough quality, but I was not about to buy even one, when I know I could get something I am very familiar with for about the same price and don't have to worry.

Foxen Xinda skateboard factory

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
On Louie's Insta he's got pictures of new Jacuzzi Unlimited and Opera decks, they have the DSM top engravings.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
That’s sick….would be rad to see more companies using this wood shop. 

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
anyone know other decks that would be similar in dimensions to the 8.75 eagle?  something 8.75 wide, over or around 32.5 total length, and under 15 wheel base

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
anyone know other decks that would be similar in dimensions to the 8.75 eagle?  something 8.75 wide, over or around 32.5 total length, and under 15 wheel base

i'm pretty sure the Krooked Team eyes 8.75 is exactly the same (dims AND shape)

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm pretty sure the Krooked Team eyes 8.75 is exactly the same (dims AND shape)

That’s been my experience. Same taper toward the tail as well.

shawngreg

ahh sorry i should have specified non-DLX brands.  thanks tho gang

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
ahh sorry i should have specified non-DLX brands.  thanks tho gang

I think someone who had the Sci Fi 8.75 said it was a better shape than the white eagle, but I can't remember dimensions and it is a bit late to start looking things up right now.

I should check it out after a sleep though...

Couldn't leave it at that.

Just had a look on Tactics and besides their own board, the Sci Fi is there too.

Looks like the standard Generator / BBS shape.

https://www.tactics.com/sci-fi-fantasy/corey-glick-875-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   32.5
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.75
NOSE (IN):   7.06
TAIL (IN):   6.75

This one too:

https://www.tactics.com/alltimers/noelle-team-875-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   32.56
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.625
NOSE (IN):   7.125

For reference:

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/the-flower-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   32.5
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.75
NOSE (IN):   7.125

Hope that helps.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

shawngreg

awesome.  you’ve got me curious about that 8.75 sci fi now

overwaxed

• Rep: 92

I’ve got one - the Ryan lay horses board - skating 8.25’s now and it doesn’t see much use but I have it set up with rails and venture 6.1’s as a curb board. I love the shape - I had a much pointier quasi 8.75 before, as well as an FA, and this one falls pretty cleanly in the middle.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
Anybody got the lowdown on Quarter Distribution?
They say “Qualität aus Berlin” but are they really made in Germany, and not just printed there?

Supposedly their Superply is all sustainable Canadian maple held together by epoxy resin. Sounds like Resin7 by DSM.

I want to try and skate some euro-boards. And there’s a local brand on Quarter which has cool graphics/shapes, and I want to support them. They’re called Brodega.
They also have Poetic Collective, Blast Skates and Inpeddo on Quarter Distribution.

Quarter Distribution is like 20 minutes away from where I live. I know one dude that works there. They get their decks from China and only print the graphics on them in that building. But I have to say the decks are good quality, I just didn't like the shapes I tried. I like BBS shapes.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Copied from the AU sale thread.

On another note, I saw they had some new shop boards in 8.75 with 14.25 wb and info says from Spain, so they have HLC wood now, which is very interesting.  I think they measure with the concave, as they have it listed as 32.5 long, but HLC boards are usually 32.  Their other shop boards which I had bought in the past were normal length 32, listed as 32.5 as well, just in case anyone is thrown off by the long measurement for those boards.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/ocd-keys-8-75-skateboard-deck-1

They have them in 8.0, 8.25, 8.5 and 8.75 sizes on HLC wood and some older Generator boards in 8.125 and 8.375.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/collections/decks?pf_v_brand=OCD

juniormint

• Rep: 140
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve got one - the Ryan lay horses board - skating 8.25’s now and it doesn’t see much use but I have it set up with rails and venture 6.1’s as a curb board. I love the shape - I had a much pointier quasi 8.75 before, as well as an FA, and this one falls pretty cleanly in the middle.

Yep the sci-fi 8.75 is nice, pretty straight up and down with little taper, unlike the quasi 8.75 which is ever so slightly eggish if you look them side by side and definitely skates like a smaller board. Sci fi has a wider tail than the white eagle too which is tapered slightly.

rikki

• Rep: 296
At which locations around the world BBS has manufacturing, and is there a way of knowing where a particular brand's BBS decks come from? I was under the impression that they have facilities in China these days as well.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
At which locations around the world BBS has manufacturing, and is there a way of knowing where a particular brand's BBS decks come from? I was under the impression that they have facilities in China these days as well.

Look out for the black and white "Made in Mexico" on the front truck mounting holes and the small holographic BBS sticker on the rear mounting holes. They still do their boards in USA, just that brands have started to split their orders between BBS and Factory X in China.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 815

The sticker on the top will say Made in Mexico. Haven't heard about BBS being in China...

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
Anybody got the lowdown on Quarter Distribution?
They say “Qualität aus Berlin” but are they really made in Germany, and not just printed there?

Supposedly their Superply is all sustainable Canadian maple held together by epoxy resin. Sounds like Resin7 by DSM.

I want to try and skate some euro-boards. And there’s a local brand on Quarter which has cool graphics/shapes, and I want to support them. They’re called Brodega.
They also have Poetic Collective, Blast Skates and Inpeddo on Quarter Distribution.

we do our shop boards at quarter, they’re good quality and pretty flat. the only complaint i have is that they fucked up one of the graphics, which i noticed when they sent us a photo and told them about it, they were like „these haven’t been past qc we’ll make em right” and then they proceeded to send them shits as is, with the graphic messed up. also they took a long ass time to ship this year, the boards arrived over a month overdue, last year they were quick but we just ordered blanks and screened them locally. but yeah the boards are fine.

artprint is another eu-based “manufacturer” that prints on china decks, they’re also pretty good and have more concave. i don’t know of any brands outside of poland that use them but if you can find them i think they’re also worth a try.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:18:49 AM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
I’ve been gawking at Zero and Toy Machine boards, but I can’t tell where there’re all from.

Zeros for example, where some has the but etching/stamp where you can just make out the “Resin7”, but others just have a little size number. Like “8.5”.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I’ve been gawking at Zero and Toy Machine boards, but I can’t tell where there’re all from.

Zeros for example, where some has the but etching/stamp where you can just make out the “Resin7”, but others just have a little size number. Like “8.5”.

Resin 7 is definitely Dwindle / DSM wood, very stiff and epoxy based, made in China.

The other one a little harder to determine, as quite a few woodshops have similar stamps to that.  If it is a more rounded dimple dot in between bolts, then it could be BBS, stamped with size like Baker / Birdhouse / Deathwish decks do, but that is not so common for boards outside of their own distro from Baker Boys, so it is possible, or even more likely that it could also be from somewhere else, eg China, unknown woodshop with the nail front and size markings.

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
I just got an Alltiners Noelle for Alexis 8.125 - and it’s Clutch wood fulfilled by Chapman - same logos on the plastic as my recent Theories boards.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

The sticker on the top will say Made in Mexico. Haven't heard about BBS being in China...

I am guessing that question / comment is based on the "DLX boards now made in China" thread and speculation on BBS workers going over to China to help set up the DLX woodshop there, or something like that.

Generally speaking, BBS only has the one facilty in Mexico that manufactures the boards, but Generator being their retail / shop boards / blanks arm is based in USA, so the boards made in Mexico are shipped into the USA and then printed or distributed to whoever has ordered them.  This is how some brands or individuals say and promote the "Made in USA" which is not entirely true, but when they are shipped in as stacks of blanks and then printed, shrink wrapped, etc there, I guess they can get away with it easily enough.

Also note, the top tier / main brands still have their boards all done, in their entirety at BBS in Mexico - the wood, the graphic, the sticker and shrinkwrap, etc - then shipped to where ever their individual warehouse for their own distribution.

My understanding is DLX still has this going on at BBS in Mexico, but from late 2023 to early 2024 the new woodshop in China will be making boards and shipping to the places round the world that are easier to reach from China, with USA still getting their wood from BBS in Mexico, but that might also be open to interpretation or someone with more knowledge can help as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

In case anyone missed it, this is a good read - up to four pages now.

DLX boards now made in China thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=127113.0

Debated putting this in the woodshop thread but feel like it deserves its own discussion.

The recent DLX prebook has about 70% of the boards listed as Made in China. They cost roughly the same as a pre-Covid DLX board while the BBS boards are 30-40% more expensive.

From our rep:

In a bold but completely logical move, Deluxe have set up an Asia based board manufacturer to counter the ongoing board price increases from their primary factory. These boards are significantly cheaper and are set up with Deluxe's custom shapes and molds. For the purists, favorites like the AH Classic Eagles are still made in North America.

How long until every company moves the bulk of operations to Asia?

rikki

• Rep: 296

I am guessing that question / comment is based on the "DLX boards now made in China" thread and speculation on BBS workers going over to China to help set up the DLX woodshop there, or something like that.

Generally speaking, BBS only has the one facilty in Mexico that manufactures the boards, but Generator being their retail / shop boards / blanks arm is based in USA, so the boards made in Mexico are shipped into the USA and then printed or distributed to whoever has ordered them.  This is how some brands or individuals say and promote the "Made in USA" which is not entirely true, but when they are shipped in as stacks of blanks and then printed, shrink wrapped, etc there, I guess they can get away with it easily enough.

Also note, the top tier / main brands still have their boards all done, in their entirety at BBS in Mexico - the wood, the graphic, the sticker and shrinkwrap, etc - then shipped to where ever their individual warehouse for their own distribution.

My understanding is DLX still has this going on at BBS in Mexico, but from late 2023 to early 2024 the new woodshop in China will be making boards and shipping to the places round the world that are easier to reach from China, with USA still getting their wood from BBS in Mexico, but that might also be open to interpretation or someone with more knowledge can help as well.

Hey thanks for the clarification. I'm in Europe and ride mostly Antihero boards, so I'm guessing part of them (apart from e.g. Classic Eagles, as noted in the DLX boards / China thread) will be made in China in the future. Although I guess it's gonna be hard to say, as I have no idea how the distribution network for DLX/BBS boards is structured in Europe.