Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3067346 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #43680 on: August 30, 2022, 06:04:08 PM »
had an insanely good band practice. new tunes. got compared to a legendary artist from the 80s by a passerby. they know the fucking score. we got that grimy aspect. that hardcore punk but heavy on the rock. straight ahead shit.

were like a good band

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

PlugSkullcandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #43681 on: August 31, 2022, 12:45:47 AM »
I bought my wife her first complete as a gift, I didn’t know I would say that one day but yeah…

long story but we went on holidays in the south west of France and there is plenty of skateparks there, which is very convenient for my old ass. So one day I was going to the park she told me : « oh I’ve never tried skateboarding » and I somehow didn’t ask her if she wanted to try… and we’ve been together for 9 years haha. So she tried, it appears that after 20 minutes she was already pushing and turning. And she was so stoked ! Yesterday she rolled in the streets for the first time…

I won’t pressure her to skate and this is not a « couple goal » at all but it’s cool to see her enjoying it, it’s something I really can relate to.

i guess 35 years old is not to old to start skateboarding.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #43682 on: August 31, 2022, 12:56:31 AM »
I bought my wife her first complete as a gift, I didn’t know I would say that one day but yeah…

long story but we went on holidays in the south west of France and there is plenty of skateparks there, which is very convenient for my old ass. So one day I was going to the park she told me : « oh I’ve never tried skateboarding » and I somehow didn’t ask her if she wanted to try… and we’ve been together for 9 years haha. So she tried, it appears that after 20 minutes she was already pushing and turning. And she was so stoked ! Yesterday she rolled in the streets for the first time…

I won’t pressure her to skate and this is not a « couple goal » at all but it’s cool to see her enjoying it, it’s something I really can relate to.

That‘s very cool… and convenient, as you will spend more time together. My wife sometimes comes with me to film me but she also has a board and enjoys pushing around a bit. I try to motivate her to get better so she will be able to film while rolling. :D

I would say it‘s not easy for an adult who has never skated to learn it but not too difficult to learn how to roll around and have fun. You don‘t expect her to tre flip a 12 stair after all, do you?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #43683 on: August 31, 2022, 04:47:35 AM »
Expand Quote

long story but we went on holidays in the south west of France and there is plenty of skateparks there, which is very convenient for my old ass. So one day I was going to the park she told me : « oh I’ve never tried skateboarding » and I somehow didn’t ask her if she wanted to try… and we’ve been together for 9 years haha. So she tried, it appears that after 20 minutes she was already pushing and turning. And she was so stoked ! Yesterday she rolled in the streets for the first time…

I won’t pressure her to skate and this is not a « couple goal » at all but it’s cool to see her enjoying it, it’s something I really can relate to.

[close]

That‘s very cool… and convenient, as you will spend more time together. My wife sometimes comes with me to film me but she also has a board and enjoys pushing around a bit. I try to motivate her to get better so she will be able to film while rolling. :D

I would say it‘s not easy for an adult who has never skated to learn it but not too difficult to learn how to roll around and have fun. You don‘t expect her to tre flip a 12 stair after all, do you?

Hehe good to read.
I expect her to bomb hills à la GX1000 in two months !! Obviously I just expect her to have fun. Also I often « walk » our dog with my board (he loves it and he will bark when I ollie haha) and I know she wants to do that with us.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
« Reply #43684 on: September 01, 2022, 06:04:04 PM »
This is pretty nerdy but I've been getting really into sumo wrestling lately and the shits kinda rad. It's like part athletic contest part shinto ritual. Everything has significance. What I like most is that it's a total anachronism, the whole thing is mostly the same as it was hundreds of years ago and something about that is fascinating in today's disposable world.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43685 on: September 01, 2022, 07:28:20 PM »
This is pretty nerdy but I've been getting really into sumo wrestling lately and the shits kinda rad. It's like part athletic contest part shinto ritual. Everything has significance. What I like most is that it's a total anachronism, the whole thing is mostly the same as it was hundreds of years ago and something about that is fascinating in today's disposable world.

Jack Slack does some good coverage of the basho, does a great job of dumbing down for filthy casuals like myself. I miss when Vice did Fightland and covered combat sports around the world.

Parts for my 2 PC finally arrived from China and I just setup the mini PC for the home. A little 3L box with a Ryzen APU sitting under the TV console, a fun warm up build for the weekend's 9L build with water cooling complete with weeby RGB lights.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #43686 on: September 02, 2022, 05:02:27 AM »
Its always quite the shock to wake up and find you had a wet dream. It was a good one

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43687 on: September 02, 2022, 06:26:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jack Slack does some good coverage of the basho, does a great job of dumbing down for filthy casuals like myself. I miss when Vice did Fightland and covered combat sports around the world.

Parts for my 2 PC finally arrived from China and I just setup the mini PC for the home. A little 3L box with a Ryzen APU sitting under the TV console, a fun warm up build for the weekend's 9L build with water cooling complete with weeby RGB lights.

If you havent already seen it the NHK sumopedia is a great way to learn all the rules and significance of certain things that go on in and around the dohyo and they kinda get into technique and style a bit too.

As far as learning about the wrestlers NHK does short features and highlights of the bigger names, but for info on the rank and filers and deep dives on the bigger names theres a British dude with a channel called Chris Sumo that's really good. He's kinda pompous and has really a really annoying way of phrasing things but he goes to almost every day of the basho and the tours and gets really good footage and behind the scenes stories and info. Jason's all sumo channel is low-fi but has good content as well, especially if you want to watch the original broadcast of historical matches from the last decade like Hakuho's rivalries with the other Yokozuna or Tochinoshin's ozeki run. He's pretty knowledgeable and I learned a lot from watching his videos early on. If for some reason I'm awake at the time the matches are live I watch the English commentary on NHK's site or one of the twitch restreams.

Should be an interesting basho. Terunofuji looks like he's in a class of his own right now so the ozeki either need to get their shit together or someone else needs to step up. Really I think Ichinojo might be the only dude who has the size and skill to hang with him somewhat regularly but last basho was the first time he's really lived up to his potential.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #43688 on: September 02, 2022, 07:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you havent already seen it the NHK sumopedia is a great way to learn all the rules and significance of certain things that go on in and around the dohyo and they kinda get into technique and style a bit too.

As far as learning about the wrestlers NHK does short features and highlights of the bigger names, but for info on the rank and filers and deep dives on the bigger names theres a British dude with a channel called Chris Sumo that's really good. He's kinda pompous and has really a really annoying way of phrasing things but he goes to almost every day of the basho and the tours and gets really good footage and behind the scenes stories and info. Jason's all sumo channel is low-fi but has good content as well, especially if you want to watch the original broadcast of historical matches from the last decade like Hakuho's rivalries with the other Yokozuna or Tochinoshin's ozeki run. He's pretty knowledgeable and I learned a lot from watching his videos early on. If for some reason I'm awake at the time the matches are live I watch the English commentary on NHK's site or one of the twitch restreams.

Should be an interesting basho. Terunofuji looks like he's in a class of his own right now so the ozeki either need to get their shit together or someone else needs to step up. Really I think Ichinojo might be the only dude who has the size and skill to hang with him somewhat regularly but last basho was the first time he's really lived up to his potential.

Fuck yeah boys, big fan of Sumo as well. People have no idea the explosiveness and athleticism of these giant beasts, all they see are fat guys pushing each other. Really technical sport as well.

Super stoked for the next basho that's coming up.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #43689 on: September 02, 2022, 09:55:35 AM »
I was driving home from skating and when I got to this long downhill street I was behind a guy on a skateboard bombing the hill, so me and this guy in an Audi went slow far behind him to block the traffic in the rear. At the bottom of the hill we passed him and I was so excited that I yelled something stupid like “fuck yeah, dude!” while giving him a thumbs up. Dude probably thought I was a fucking dork, but I was stoked on guarding the hill bomb.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #43690 on: September 02, 2022, 12:55:59 PM »
got a bunch of useful stuff. i little jbl bluetooth box(need to show people music on the go sometimes and it does the job), a shoehorn(for my last resort canvas his), new studio monitors i could barely afford(thanks pay 30 days later option), a triple pack of new socks and a panini/waffle grill as a replacement for our dead toaster. awesome.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43691 on: September 02, 2022, 08:43:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Fuck yeah boys, big fan of Sumo as well. People have no idea the explosiveness and athleticism of these giant beasts, all they see are fat guys pushing each other. Really technical sport as well.

Super stoked for the next basho that's coming up.

Nice! I didn't honestly expect anyone else here to be into it haha.

Yeah those dudes are absolute tanks. Every time I see Takakeisho get down in his stance I'm amazed how much he resembles a mountain gorilla. One throat thrust or face slap from those dudes would put most people on their ass for sure.

Fully admit that I was pretty ignorant about it beforehand (Aoyama looking like he's wearing the fat bastard suit from Austin Powers didn't help) and still am to some extent when it comes to the techniques and strategy. I know the basic kimarite and grips and I don't get lost in the terminology anymore. I think it's kinda cool how they pay attention to and appreciate style too. I prefer the classic thrusters mostly because of E. Honda's thousand hand slap from street fighter 2, but I can definitely appreciate the guys who excel at belt sumo too.

This basho I'm cheering for Hokotofuji to get back on track or Ichinojo to make it 2 in a row even though he seemed mortified by all the attention last time. I strongly suspect dude is absolutely good enough to be at least ozeki but is so shy and nice that he sandbags because he doesn't want the media responsibilities. I like watching the little guys like Enho and Midorifuji as well, always fun when they throw someone.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43692 on: September 03, 2022, 01:21:43 PM »
found my MSR stove, some copper bottom camp pans, and am leaving to drive north for a few days. Solo van trip to brookings. Yeah boy
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #43693 on: September 03, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »
Learned back Smith to back tail today

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43694 on: September 03, 2022, 10:13:28 PM »

I'd kill for a solid BS Smith grind, best I can do is a 5-0 that isn't dipped.

360 flips - probably done more these 2 months alone that I have in my entire life, even on rough ground. Just working on a few every session has really helped, 5 tries a set and few sets each session, if I don't land it I don't stress and work on other stuff.

Finally got my desktop PC built after 2 months of planning and shopping for good deals. 8.6L of mid-range power is great for a small desk setup. Had a brief scare last night when my GPU wasn't giving any display signal, thought I'd have to take a long train ride to the service center to get it replaced. But some poking around the BIOS did the trick. 1 side is clear glass so the mess of cables is still visible, finally put my stickers to use and covered the rats nest with some tasteful stickers.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1170
  • old and in the way
« Reply #43695 on: September 04, 2022, 04:57:52 PM »

thats sick @lamfordie congratulations

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #43696 on: September 05, 2022, 06:36:02 PM »
I skated completely pain free for the first time in 10 months today.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #43697 on: September 05, 2022, 06:50:00 PM »
I skated completely pain free for the first time in 10 months today.

Congratulations keep it going Pal
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #43698 on: September 07, 2022, 06:42:23 PM »
I was frustrated with Leafly's lack of cataloging flower offerings across dispensaries, so decided to try my hand at web-scraping (using just first page of results for a given dispensary), and it worked out pretty well. I just used ctrl+s to save each dispensary's first page of flower results as a text file, then imported into Stata and wrote some code that would handle slight variations across dispensaries and clean it all up. Feels cool to have like a compact, sortable master list of what's for sale across the city. Now the real trick is to figure out how to use Python in Stata to call down the html for a given page, without having to actually navigate there in Firefox.

Jebediah

• Rep: 115
« Reply #43699 on: September 07, 2022, 08:55:36 PM »
that's pretty dank, hacking the weed web

I'm stoked on not smoking cigs for 2 weeks

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #43700 on: September 07, 2022, 11:01:01 PM »
Landed in DC.   Got in my hotel room late.   Looked out the window and saw a plaza, thought to myself that it’d be funny if it was Pulaski.   Looked a little closer…it was!   Hopefully bobbly worrest hits me up for the super long lens angle

Also, didn’t bring my board bc it isn’t that kind of trip (and they rarely are)

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #43701 on: September 08, 2022, 05:54:12 AM »
Just got a new job. I put in my 2 month notice at the end of August, in my current  job, and this week I had a couple interviews. Today was the last one, which I really hoped, would be the one that I can get, and an hour later after the interview they called me and offered the job straight away.

I mean, I had great feeling after the interview, but to get it this quick, it was still a surprise. So yeah, new job baby, more money for blow and whores.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #43702 on: September 08, 2022, 11:35:41 AM »
John Dwyer is my favorite musician. Found this video of him going on these teenage kids first episode of their podcast, filmed out of their dirty bedroom. One of the kids mentioned he's grounded midway through the interview. Who else would do something like this? The guy is a legend.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43703 on: September 08, 2022, 02:05:22 PM »
6am surf session at the reef, arms and shoulders are pretty blasted from 2 days of surfing so today will either be my personal hell or the best waves of life.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #43704 on: September 09, 2022, 12:15:23 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiRIku6p76q/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Made this fun little edit from when I went sandboarding, it was pretty fun

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #43705 on: September 09, 2022, 02:02:27 PM »
gummy worms
hair nets
>7.5 boards
black label beer
beards with the mustache shaved
a1 sauce

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #43706 on: September 10, 2022, 08:23:36 AM »
As jockish as it sounds, working out and lifting weights is something I've found joy and peace in doing. More so because my thought process is that it's helping me get back in shape for skating.
I do not want to be some beefy ass dork like Brandon Bubble; I just want to be healthy and able to skate hard for as long as possible.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #43707 on: September 11, 2022, 12:07:35 PM »
As jockish as it sounds, working out and lifting weights is something I've found joy and peace in doing. More so because my thought process is that it's helping me get back in shape for skating.
I do not want to be some beefy ass dork like Brandon Bubble; I just want to be healthy and able to skate hard for as long as possible.

Ive been going to the gym for the last 4 years probably (about to turn 33). Nothing to be ashamed for.

I dont lift super big weights (Im already the size of Chris Cole probably, ha) but I love being healthy, staying in shape, and it has  crazy benefits for skating. Right now, I feel like Im skating the best Ive ever been.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #43708 on: September 11, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
Lost 25 pounds. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43709 on: September 11, 2022, 07:23:37 PM »

Made my morning.

Lost 25 pounds. 

Props my dude.

First surf session in 3 years due to the pandemic. Beach break but I'm just happy to be out there in the water. Still able to paddle out and get my own waves is a great feeling after being landlocked for so long.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m