Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547105 times)

Uncle Jeffrey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4290 on: January 13, 2022, 01:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Might be a little big but give it a shot!
[close]

I might just finally give in and get 159s at this point. Feels like all the good shapes work better with them!

Same. Got a shaped 9" and 169s during the peak of shortage stuff, not realizing how much it tapers at the rear leaving me to monster truck a bit. Not actually too bad on this particular shape. But all the shapes I think of replacing it with work better with 159.

Granted, at the rate I ride it, I probably won't need a new one for a few years, so...

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4291 on: January 14, 2022, 07:28:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Might be a little big but give it a shot!
[close]

I might just finally give in and get 159s at this point. Feels like all the good shapes work better with them!
[close]

Same. Got a shaped 9" and 169s during the peak of shortage stuff, not realizing how much it tapers at the rear leaving me to monster truck a bit. Not actually too bad on this particular shape. But all the shapes I think of replacing it with work better with 159.

Granted, at the rate I ride it, I probably won't need a new one for a few years, so...

This was exactly my issue. Bought a cruiser during peak shortage, ended up with 169s. Still ended up using the board a lot on curbs so now they have a really nice groove and i'm obligated to skate them to death now anyway ha

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4292 on: January 14, 2022, 02:17:12 PM »

Would it now be a case of "Buy a board to match the trucks" vs the more common "I have this board, now what trucks fit on it?" type of situation?

There are lots of good boards, almost anything over 9" really that doesn't taper too much, but I think the 9.5"+ is a better place to start.

Might have more fun on a bigger board too, but that is personal opinion.

animalflesh

« Reply #4293 on: January 14, 2022, 04:47:22 PM »
Indy 159 fan club

I just buy boards that suit 159

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4294 on: January 14, 2022, 09:50:34 PM »
Indy 159 fan club

I just buy boards that suit 159
6.1s for me but same deal
8.75 axles work with 8.5" - 9.75" decks depending on the taper
most versatile truck size for boards on the wider side
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4295 on: January 15, 2022, 02:55:02 AM »

Yeah most of the shaped boards will still ride really well on 159s / 8.75" trucks.

I have a few set up and often think 159 or 169, but it is really only the shaped 10" that work well on 169s as most don't taper down that much.

All the rest work better on 159s and they are a bit more manageable too.

Thinking I still have a very old AH Huffer, a couple of Black Labels, some other DLX shaped boards and a few others in the 9"+ department, mainly retired as cruisers now, but they have all seen some normal skating too.

animalflesh

« Reply #4296 on: January 15, 2022, 06:10:11 AM »
Yeah

In my opinion it’s better to have a board that doesn’t even fit properly but maintain your trucks, erring on the magic carpet side lately

Changing trucks is what truly fucks me up… not changing boards

What did Scott oster say exactly? ‘Your trucks are the soul of your skateboard’ or something to that effect

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4297 on: January 15, 2022, 07:08:38 AM »
I've been lurking that 9" Creature Stump. Loved their boards previously. After I'm done with my current board, I know what I'm getting.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4298 on: January 17, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
https://www.303boards.com/

23% off sitewide including sale items. Discount applied at checkout. Looks like shipping is $4.90 under $100 and $19.90 over $100.

Repost from the Sale Gear thread. I saw quite a few Scram Big Boys there and I recall some posters saying they were having a hard time tracking them down at one point or another. I copped the DMODW 9.25 pop because I was hyped on Big Kev's setup.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

garbage plate

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4299 on: January 18, 2022, 04:52:29 PM »
Krooked 10.0" Ray Barbee Flames Deck
Ace 55 classics
Spitfire formula 4 56mm 97a
Shorty's hardware
Shorty's black panther abec 5 bearings
Mob grip

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4300 on: January 18, 2022, 08:32:31 PM »
Anyone happen to know the dims on this?

Can’t tell from that pic but if it’s the same shape dims as these:

I’m jumping on that.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #4301 on: January 19, 2022, 02:42:47 PM »
Girl Bannerot OG Knockout Loveseat 9" x 32" x 13.875" wb
Tensor Maglight 8.5" (stock bushings with bones washer on top. Initially I tried soft bones on bottom sans washer, but it ballooned out on me real quick so went back to stock and no issues so far)
Spitfire Conical Full 52mm
Bones Big Balls
SC Slimline rails

After lurking the board for the last year and a half and trying various combinations of trucks, wheels, rails and boards, feel like I finally found my goldilocks slappy setup. Shout out to @Xen for singing the praises of maglights. This is my second pair and they grind so good and are lighter than anything I've ridden before. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the trucks are the real star of the slappy experience. Especially once you get grooves going and can just sit on your grinds. After trying some maglights in the 8.25 range with a polar ww hjalte (2nd best slappy setup so far), I knew I needed to find a good board to compliment some 8.5 maglights.

Enter the loveseat (good looks to @mattchew for his love of the loveseat). I've ridden the dane 1 and various heroin eggs, mutants, etc., but seeing him repeatedly talking about it got me curious. Right away I liked that it had a full, functional nose, and the slightly squared tail felt really good for the curb dancing. Additionally the 13.875wb felt comfortable and nimble, especially paired with the lightness of the trucks. Also, the availability of the boards are great. I didn't want to get into a situation where I fell in love with something like the symmetrical egg and then have to wait multiple seasons hoping for it to return. Craig has a ton of these bad boys available and they seem to be a mainstay (just ordered three more to put on ice). 

I also went through a variety of rails, tried different versions of the lil jawns, but I found the sc hard plastic slides and feels much better than the cutting board style of the jawns.

As far as wheels go, I've skated the spitfire classics, tablets, conical fulls and bones spfs, and have had the best luck with the tablets and conical fulls. Both seem to go up curbs well and I've had no issues slipping out like I did with the classics.

After finally narrowing all that down, I will say I'm very curious to try out the craig couch with titanium 159s and either the tablets or conical fulls with sc rails. I guess the madness never truly goes away, but if this was all I had to skate for curbs, I think I'd be a happy man.

Bonus was that I skated this at home depot and AVE was there warming up and after giving him a head nod, he pointed, smiled and winked at me all at the same time. 

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #4302 on: January 19, 2022, 05:05:26 PM »

Black Label John Lucero Street Thing 9.88" x 32.25"  with 14.5"- 15" adjustable wheelbase (set at 14.5")
USA Independent 169s with aftermarket Indy 92a barrel bushings and Ace AF1 pivot cups (pivot cups work very well with these so far in case you were wondering)
Bones Tony Hawk SPF 58mm 84b P5 shape
Bones Swiss
MOB
Mini Logo 1 1/4" hardware
Mini Logo 1/4" riser pads
Powell Peralta Rib Bones

Scrape report after a couple hours of curbs + previous deck

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4303 on: January 19, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »

Black Label John Lucero Street Thing 9.88" x 32.25"  with 14.5"- 15" adjustable wheelbase (set at 14.5")
USA Independent 169s with aftermarket Indy 92a barrel bushings and Ace AF1 pivot cups (pivot cups work very well with these so far in case you were wondering)
Bones Swiss
MOB
Powell Peralta Rib Bones

Damn that’s nice.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #4304 on: January 19, 2022, 09:53:36 PM »

Set up my Grateful Egg, hoping to skate some parking garage curbs soon since we just got some nasty winter weather.

Heroin Curb Killer 10”
AF1 77s
Spitfire F4 classics
Bones swiss

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #4305 on: January 19, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »

Set up my Grateful Egg, hoping to skate some parking garage curbs soon since we just got some nasty winter weather.

Heroin Curb Killer 10”
AF1 77s
Spitfire F4 classics
Bones swiss

nice gripjob...kinda reminds me of zero sophisto logo.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4306 on: January 20, 2022, 06:41:15 AM »
Expand Quote

Bones Swiss
MOB
Powell Peralta Rib Bones

[close]

Damn that’s nice.

What's the previous deck?

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #4307 on: January 20, 2022, 09:13:14 AM »

Crail Cruiser 9.125
Ace Classic 55's
Spitfire 53 Conical F4's
Nine Club Mob/FKD orange/camo collage
SantaCruz rails I tried to die orange and came out peach.
1"Allen hardware

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
« Reply #4308 on: January 20, 2022, 12:06:57 PM »
My boredom at work caused me to cave and order a Chocolate couch deck.  A little disappointed in myself cause I’ve never been a Girl/Chocolate fan but the size/wheelbase/shape combination was calling me as something I needed to check off the list of shapes I’ve tried.  How bad is the Craig wood?  I haven’t heard great things in general but I seem to usually have good luck with gear issues so I’m optimistic. 

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #4309 on: January 20, 2022, 02:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
snip
[close]

Damn that’s nice.
[close]

Zmorgf Land Boat II

My boredom at work caused me to cave and order a Chocolate couch deck.  A little disappointed in myself cause I’ve never been a Girl/Chocolate fan but the size/wheelbase/shape combination was calling me as something I needed to check off the list of shapes I’ve tried.  How bad is the Craig wood?  I haven’t heard great things in general but I seem to usually have good luck with gear issues so I’m optimistic.

They've improved greatly over the past couple years and are really solid. My only complaint is that they pressure crack really easily, but I personally found that this doesn't affect anything (ymmv of course).

Best truck I've found that works for me on this shape are Thunder 151s.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
« Reply #4310 on: January 20, 2022, 07:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
snip
[close]

Damn that’s nice.
[close]

[close]

Zmorgf Land Boat II

Expand Quote
[close]

They've improved greatly over the past couple years and are really solid. My only complaint is that they pressure crack really easily, but I personally found that this doesn't affect anything (ymmv of course).

Best truck I've found that works for me on this shape are Thunder 151s.

Nice.  My skating’s pretty low impact so pressure cracks aren’t usually an issue.  I’m going to throw some 169s on it.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4311 on: January 21, 2022, 07:18:45 AM »
For people skating 8.75"+ popsicles, what is your sneaker size? I'm currently on 8.5" and it still feels like my size 12's are hanging off the board a ton. I just have so much 8.5" gear it's going to be tough to switch to 8.75 or 9".

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4312 on: January 21, 2022, 07:26:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Bones Swiss
MOB
Powell Peralta Rib Bones

[close]

Damn that’s nice.

Ha! I could set that up right now, save for stock Indys, reds and spits. Down to the white rib bones, slappy hour and animal chin stickers! Excellent taste!

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #4313 on: January 21, 2022, 09:24:23 AM »
For people skating 8.75"+ popsicles, what is your sneaker size? I'm currently on 8.5" and it still feels like my size 12's are hanging off the board a ton. I just have so much 8.5" gear it's going to be tough to switch to 8.75 or 9".

I’m also a size 12. I rode 8.5 for nearly 20 years then got a 9” AH orange eagle about 3 years ago. Since then I’ve ridden a few 8.75” decks, but I can’t do anything smaller than that now. Going up in size is easy, coming back down is tough. Once you ride a board where your toes don’t hang over, going back just feels wrong

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4314 on: January 21, 2022, 09:34:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m also a size 12. I rode 8.5 for nearly 20 years then got a 9” AH orange eagle about 3 years ago. Since then I’ve ridden a few 8.75” decks, but I can’t do anything smaller than that now. Going up in size is easy, coming back down is tough. Once you ride a board where your toes don’t hang over, going back just feels wrong
size 12.5-13
stuck on 8.5 for the time being...missing the extra width
if more brands made short wheelbase 8.75s thats all id ride
square 8.75 is basically nonexistent for some reason
might have to start redrilling and shaping my own boards
9.0+ mandatory for transitions
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrontsideFrank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4315 on: January 21, 2022, 01:44:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
size 12.5-13

Alien workshop makes a full/square(ish) 8.75 with a 14.25 WB that I'm a huge fan of.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4316 on: January 21, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
size 12.5-13
[close]

Alien workshop makes a full/square(ish) 8.75 with a 14.25 WB that I'm a huge fan of.
Antihero also just dropped a 8.75 w/14.25wb a few months back. Very similar to a lot of DLX shapes if that's your thing. The current version has the Gnarmaste graphic but it's coming in at least two other graphics that I know of so it looks like it's staying in their regular releases.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Fhk

« Reply #4317 on: January 21, 2022, 02:08:02 PM »

Heroin Curb Killer 10”
AF1 77s
Spitfire F4 classics
Bones swiss
Gnar'd for this object of perfection

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4318 on: January 21, 2022, 02:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
size 12.5-13
[close]

[close]
Antihero also just dropped a 8.75 w/14.25wb a few months back. Very similar to a lot of DLX shapes if that's your thing. The current version has the Gnarmaste graphic but it's coming in at least two other graphics that I know of so it looks like it's staying in their regular releases.
one is coming out as a blue eagle, its screeching my name
31.75 length>32.25 of the AWS
dont need all that board for street skating imo

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4319 on: January 22, 2022, 10:02:59 AM »
Cross post from the setup thread. I must return to egg (maybe tomorrow if it's not raining again).
I'm superstitious about skating boards that I got injured on, so the grimple true full got retired early and I set this up. Then it started raining.

Heroin Symmetrical egg
Ace af1 66
nfg mfg 60mm V cuts (actual diameter is more like 58.5)
Quantum atoms
bronze 1" phillips all day