Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215141 times)

newguy

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4710 on: February 28, 2024, 05:16:20 PM »
Why did Nike discontinue the original SB zoom mid premiums? Those shoes were a gem.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4711 on: February 28, 2024, 05:28:13 PM »
I always wondered but when I saw that Indy timeline thing is it me or do theeves look basically like a copycat stage 7??

Theeve were stage III ish geo (which is why they ran on ACE plates during the prototype phase); they added the wings to keep them from bending; theeve wings were much more 'rounded' (like if you have bad posture - like the old thunders)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 05:45:34 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4712 on: February 28, 2024, 05:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got some bone Swiss for the first time ever, gamechanger. I’m about 6 months in and one of my wheels seized up. Cleaned my bearing with isopropyl alcohol and now three out of four are seizing up. I didn’t have speed cream or anything to put in em. Are they just fucked now or does this happen after cleaning them without using lube?
[close]

Sometimes cleaning them doesn't get everything out, or can remove the good stuff that keeps them rolling.

Quite simply there are options, but lube is 100% required, be it liquid as people have said, or dry grphite powder, but the two do not mix at all either.

WD40 is a cleaning agent too, so although it might work short term, it doesn't work long term for bearings.  It does smell nice though.

I think people often can get confused about some things and what works or doesn't work, or even the fact that cleaning bearings will bring them back to rolling like new, but more often than not it can cause other issues, eg things not put back together correctly in some cases, damaged parts getting them apart and back together.

More than anything, if they have seized up and are not rolling, using something on them to get them rolling again (not just lube) is the main thing, so WD40 does help in that regard, but you can't just drop lube straight in them after that either, as the two work against each other.
[close]
Buy the Bones cleaning water bottle, and follow those instructions. I use acetone to shake and clean the bearings in there, and then keyboard air can spray them out to dry, and then two drops of speed cream.

It’s also entirely possible you have a set of FAKE Swiss.
[close]
That sounds extremely likely. Do you have photos of the box by any chance?
[close]

Got em from a shop, the box seems legit. Has the made in Switzerland and the since 1981 on it. Took em out yesterday and they rolled like a dream. Now the wheels are spinning. Still gonna grab some speed cream today just in case though cause I was running them raw yesterday

I feel like there is a bit of hysteria around fake product, but I don't think there is as much out there as some people might think, or people don't have to worry quite as much as some I have talked to.

As to bearings, sure any bearing will seize up or have issues if it gets wet, gets muddy, sand, dirt or anything else in there, even accidentally dropping sweat onto a board can sometimes get into a bearing - yes it happens - so checking bearings if they are not rolling smoothly is the first thing to do.  Pretty easy taking a wheel off and taking bearings out and seeing if there is some rust buildup on the inside of the wheel or in the bearing, without having to do too much besides a simple anti rust spray, then lube when running smooth and dry.

Places I have worked at have always had those bearing cleaning kits, some sell more than others, but they are still very much a mystery object to a lot of people.

Entirely up to each individual as to what you do, how you go about cleaning bearings (or anything else) but I also think some products or processes are easier than others, which is why I always have things like lube, graphite powder and WD40 close at hand.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4713 on: February 28, 2024, 06:19:33 PM »
The fake gear epidemic from a few years ago has died down, the TAM (total addressable market) has shrank to the point where counterfeiters no longer see the point in pushing their products. The core market has remained and they are more discerning about where their products are coming from and who they buy from.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4714 on: February 28, 2024, 06:23:35 PM »
The fake gear epidemic from a few years ago has died down, the TAM (total addressable market) has shrank to the point where counterfeiters no longer see the point in pushing their products. The core market has remained and they are more discerning about where their products are coming from and who they buy from.

That is good to hear for now and the future.

Guessing there are still some people out there trying to get rid of or unload a whole lot of "cheap leftover" stock, or whatever poor excuse they had said at a time when there was zero excess stock anywhere, which I still find funny.

Wild covid times gave way to a bit more normal every day kind of thing I guess, which is nice.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4715 on: February 28, 2024, 11:22:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I always wondered but when I saw that Indy timeline thing is it me or do theeves look basically like a copycat stage 7??

[close]

Theeve were stage III ish geo (which is why they ran on ACE plates during the prototype phase); they added the wings to keep them from bending; theeve wings were much more 'rounded' (like if you have bad posture - like the old thunders)

Crazy stuff, so theeves are a rip off ace?
yes

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4716 on: February 28, 2024, 11:24:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is anyone on Bones (wheels) and Ventures (pros like)?
[close]

PJ Ladd, Felipe Gustavo, Trent McClung
[close]

Cheers and gnar'd
Add Zaprazny
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
« Reply #4717 on: February 28, 2024, 11:46:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is anyone on Bones (wheels) and Ventures (pros like)?
[close]

PJ Ladd, Felipe Gustavo, Trent McClung
[close]

Cheers and gnar'd
[close]
Add Zaprazny
As above, cheers and gnar'd

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4718 on: February 29, 2024, 12:31:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'd say based on - their whole bit was to provide a (GASP) lighter, better turning and more durable indy (this was right around or right before stage XI/ACE Classics)...you know, exactly what Indy should have done back then ;)

Theeve V3s are very very good and hit their initial selling points; they've all but disappeared it seems (you can still buy them direct).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4719 on: February 29, 2024, 02:49:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd say based on - their whole bit was to provide a (GASP) lighter, better turning and more durable indy (this was right around or right before stage XI/ACE Classics)...you know, exactly what Indy should have done back then ;)

Theeve V3s are very very good and hit their initial selling points; they've all but disappeared it seems (you can still buy them direct).

Funny reading some of the things that come up from their own sites, but it seems like 2007 was the year for them both, with I guess a while leading up to that for things to happen, definitely a few years from what I have heard:

Theeve on their site state established in 2007

https://theevetrucks.com/

Since establishment in 2007 and until the present day, Theeve Trucks holds that; its TiHANGER (one piece axeless titanium truck) is twice as strong and 20% lighter than the average truck...

Ace trucks also started in 2007

https://www.acetrucks.com/about

ACE trucks was founded by Joey Tershay & Steve “Shrewgy” Ruge in 2007. With a wealth of knowledge between the two, their mutual goal was set to create the best performing trucks skateboarding has ever seen...

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4720 on: March 01, 2024, 06:03:49 AM »
On the topic of theeves! I just got my set of 8" TiAx back that I skated like 10 years ago. They're way too skinny (134mm hanger) for me to skate and I was hoping I could just use the baseplates with anything else. So far it seems like nothing fits though.
Tried ace AF1, thunders, polster, venture. If the AF1s don't fit at all, I'm guessing the classics won't fit either.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #4721 on: March 01, 2024, 01:33:16 PM »
anyone else convinced that DC is not going to release anymore LYNX OGs or collabs?
nothing new since november kinda says it all.

Dusty Baker

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4722 on: March 03, 2024, 03:26:34 PM »
I'm stuck on GT blazers low. I'm thinking on trying Cons One stars or the NB Jamie Foy 306 to switch it up aesthetically. I really love the foot hugging slipper like Blazer feel.

Do the Cons and the NB compare or is this a stick with the blazers situation?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4723 on: March 03, 2024, 04:54:21 PM »
Which bushings should I buy to get the original venture bushings feel? Mine are done unfortunately

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4724 on: March 03, 2024, 05:47:08 PM »
Is ProTec going out of business?

I got some money as a Christmas gift & wanted a new helmet since my old one was roached.

The Protec website has had a maintenance message for months.  I checked the big online skate shops and they seem to mostly stock s1 and triple 8.  I eventually bought a NOS protec helmet from eBay, but even now, a couple weeks later, their site still has the same maintenance message. 
Has anyone heard anything?

Sites working for me.

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4725 on: March 03, 2024, 05:58:25 PM »
Which bushings should I buy to get the original venture bushings feel? Mine are done unfortunately

i asked this question in the venture thread the other day

i ended up buying venture's loose truck conversion kit which comes with green bushings, and it made my ventures into aces pretty much so i had to kind or crank them down 

might try throwing indy stock bushings in there and see how that feels

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4726 on: March 03, 2024, 09:01:59 PM »
I'm stuck on GT blazers low. I'm thinking on trying Cons One stars or the NB Jamie Foy 306 to switch it up aesthetically. I really love the foot hugging slipper like Blazer feel.

first thing i noticed about the GTs was they're basically a Nike One star. I didn't notice much of a difference, save the GT seems to be a bit taller and sturdier, and it's definitely has a blunter toe shape. My feet didn't like something about the fit tho.

Idk about the internal specifics, but both are basically the same to me. I don't think there's any harm in switching up those two.

No input on the Foys

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4727 on: March 04, 2024, 02:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i asked this question in the venture thread the other day

i ended up buying venture's loose truck conversion kit which comes with green bushings, and it made my ventures into aces pretty much so i had to kind or crank them down 

might try throwing indy stock bushings in there and see how that feels

Yeah leaving those bushings with the kingpin in the "normal" position is going to turn them into the most unstable trucks ever for a normal person, so tightening them down to where they are comfortable to skate might look ridiculous, but that is at least going to make them work well enough.

Another guy has put a few flat washers in between the usual washer and the kingpin so that worked well.  Looks better than three or so threads showing on the kingpin anyway.

Indy bushings definitely work, as do most regular height cylinder bushings too.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4728 on: March 05, 2024, 12:27:38 AM »
Been on 8.25 with 14 WB for already a while, feels that it stopped working and found a cheap Unity 8.25 14.38, should I take the bullet?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4729 on: March 05, 2024, 02:13:31 AM »
Been on 8.25 with 14 WB for already a while, feels that it stopped working and found a cheap Unity 8.25 14.38, should I take the bullet?

i too have the syndrome where i need to radically change things.
i feel better on a longer wb.
that doesn’t mean i land more tricks.
i feel better tho.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4730 on: March 05, 2024, 05:33:35 AM »

You should, 14.38 is a solid all-around wb. If you ride even a little transition, you'll like it. I went from being a long time 14.38 wb guy to 14 inch and even below wb's and enjoyed them for a bit, but I started to miss the solid feel of the longer wb. Currently on 14.25 on my "mostly street" complete and back to 14.38 on my "I wish I was Grant Taylor" complete.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4731 on: March 05, 2024, 06:14:24 AM »

one star is extremely similar, foy is pretty similar as well but god do they look horrid

just dont get that alltimers colorway of the one star that you see on sale everywhere they fall apart in a week

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4732 on: March 05, 2024, 07:18:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You should, 14.38 is a solid all-around wb. If you ride even a little transition, you'll like it. I went from being a long time 14.38 wb guy to 14 inch and even below wb's and enjoyed them for a bit, but I started to miss the solid feel of the longer wb. Currently on 14.25 on my "mostly street" complete and back to 14.38 on my "I wish I was Grant Taylor" complete.
You got me with the GT feeling.
Gnar 'd
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4733 on: March 06, 2024, 01:21:24 PM »
does anyone make a slip on with a wide forefoot
or are slips just not for me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4734 on: March 06, 2024, 01:54:34 PM »
Spain/euro pals, is x3mboardshop.com a legit seller? I kinda want a Comet Shred...

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #4735 on: March 06, 2024, 02:00:12 PM »

I’ve been on blazers for a while now. Now exclusively mids but did a year on the lows (had to save my ankles).

I had a few pairs of old one stars (non skate) that I got on eBay and really liked so mid last year I tried the cons one stars. They seriously fucked up my achilles and heel in some weird way that I’m still dealing with.

I wore them for about two weeks as chillers and the fit was super strange. Once they kinda broke in I skated them and it was a nightmare. The heel lock caused some weird pinch pain in my achilles and heel. I know people that love them so maybe I just had a weird pair. I gave em to a kid at the skatepark and he had to take the insoles out to skate them and still had the same issue I did. By the time we both got rid of them they looked practically new.

Fully acknowledging this could have just been a messed up pair but I’d say the fit and performance of the blazer lows blew the one stars out of the water even before the foot pain.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4736 on: March 07, 2024, 02:32:34 AM »
Is a worldwide thing that finding 7/8 Allen hardware is almost impossible?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4737 on: March 07, 2024, 06:56:14 AM »
I think I have kinda fat feet...

the Foy 306 shoe seems to fit my foot perfectly. I only wore Busenitz for a long time and they seemed to fit my foot really well from what I remember.
Es Accel OGs fit my feet OK, almost a little sloppy from what I remember though.
I have some ASICS Japan S that seem very comfortable but I haven't wore them for an extended period of time yet

Then I tried Tyshawns too narrow, Half Cabs, One Stars, GT Blazer Low, they all kinda pinched my pinky toes a bit.

Any other Wide Foot skate shoe recomendations?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
« Reply #4738 on: March 07, 2024, 07:32:37 AM »
Is a worldwide thing that finding 7/8 Allen hardware is almost impossible?
Was at my local (French Alps) last night and they were fully stocked. PM me if you need I can send you some.
Titus has them
https://www.titus-shop.com/collections/skate-accessories-hardware
I'm sure plenty of other shops do as well.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4739 on: March 07, 2024, 09:29:22 AM »
I think I have kinda fat feet...

the Foy 306 shoe seems to fit my foot perfectly. I only wore Busenitz for a long time and they seemed to fit my foot really well from what I remember.
Es Accel OGs fit my feet OK, almost a little sloppy from what I remember though.
I have some ASICS Japan S that seem very comfortable but I haven't wore them for an extended period of time yet

Then I tried Tyshawns too narrow, Half Cabs, One Stars, GT Blazer Low, they all kinda pinched my pinky toes a bit.

Any other Wide Foot skate shoe recomendations?

dunks, DC shanahans, NB 440 or 1010