Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75990 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1628
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #300 on: October 03, 2020, 10:25:45 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what are the benefits of a lower truck? Are they more stable or better for certain tricks? Thanks for any information.

To me, I prefer lower trucks due to "ghost pop", where you have to REALLY try hard to pop if you are used to lower trucks.  It is sort of like going from a very pleasant relationship with a wonderful person that is easy to get along with to a relationship with a completely bat shit crazy person BUT they are absolutely insane in bed (i.e., can turn very well).  The indy lows were the best of both worlds IMO.  I hope the indy mids are the equivalent of a highly educated woman with daddy issues. If that is the case, I will be very happy. I'll just get 50's instead of 52's or 53's
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #301 on: October 04, 2020, 07:07:56 AM »

Those kingpins
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sketchyrider

« Reply #302 on: October 04, 2020, 07:24:10 AM »

To me, I prefer lower trucks due to "ghost pop", where you have to REALLY try hard to pop if you are used to lower trucks.  It is sort of like going from a very pleasant relationship with a wonderful person that is easy to get along with to a relationship with a completely bat shit crazy person BUT they are absolutely insane in bed (i.e., can turn very well).  The indy lows were the best of both worlds IMO.  I hope the indy mids are the equivalent of a highly educated woman with daddy issues. If that is the case, I will be very happy. I'll just get 50's instead of 52's or 53's

word, this is my biggest problem with standard indys, they are so damn tall, but the forged ones extend the baseplate to like venture size which is lame to me. also i like bones spfs cause they are soo fast but the smallest they come in is 54  ::) which makes the ghost pop worse until i wear em down.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #303 on: October 04, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

word, this is my biggest problem with standard indys, they are so damn tall, but the forged ones extend the baseplate to like venture size which is lame to me. also i like bones spfs cause they are soo fast but the smallest they come in is 54  ::) which makes the ghost pop worse until i wear em down.
indy forged extends the same as thunder cast, not venture
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sketchyrider

« Reply #304 on: October 04, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
ah thanks, i tried keeping up in the wheelbase comparison thread but it was hard.

either way these are on my radar cause ive been looking for something with an easier pop and im pretty stuck on indy's.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2020, 12:08:12 PM »
These just popped up on the SoCal webshop, 159s already sold out

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #306 on: October 07, 2020, 12:40:57 PM »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #307 on: October 07, 2020, 01:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
These just popped up on the SoCal webshop, 159s already sold out
[close]
https://socalskateshop.com/Independent-129mm-Mid-Skateboard-Trucks-Silver-75-Axle.html

129s for smaller boards

I’m waiting on those 144s

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #308 on: October 07, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
Quick side note, the size of the bottom bushing is that of the aftermarket bottom, so a tad shorter than standard/stocks.

It's actually closer to Ace low bottoms so threw those in along with the low tops and sleeved washers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 02:38:19 PM by Xen »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2020, 04:57:16 AM »
Man I must've been tripping but I swear a couple weeks I saw Reynolds post a picture of a set with no logo on the baseplate. Can't see it anywhere and every other set has the logo. Swear on my life I saw it.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2020, 07:03:32 AM »
Man I must've been tripping but I swear a couple weeks I saw Reynolds post a picture of a set with no logo on the baseplate. Can't see it anywhere and every other set has the logo. Swear on my life I saw it.
May have been the lighting/down the road updates....or they made some pairs just because they wanted to send them to their riders quickly and didn’t have time.

Edit: Does anyone know who’s got 159s at the moment
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:14:53 PM by mynameisnotjeff »

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #312 on: October 10, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »

Yeah I saw those too! He took the post down in less than an hour though. I was hoping they were rolling them out with blank baseplates after I saw that.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: October 23, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »
After skating them for a bit, I set-up my ACE 44s, same height, lighter and turn better....no inverted pin but w/e

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: October 23, 2020, 10:11:09 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »
After skating them for a bit, I set-up my ACE 44s, same height, lighter and turn better....no inverted pin but w/e

This is exactly what Ive been thinking since Indy announced these. Ace are the same height and have comparable wheelbase and (slightly worse if bushings arent completely fucked) turn.... Just my opinion because to me the only pro of Indys is extra 3mm of height and only con is they have shittier turn compared to Ace

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2020, 06:30:15 AM »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2020, 09:54:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is exactly what Ive been thinking since Indy announced these. Ace are the same height and have comparable wheelbase and (slightly worse if bushings arent completely fucked) turn.... Just my opinion because to me the only pro of Indys is extra 3mm of height and only con is they have shittier turn compared to Ace

The TI Indys are arguably the best in their lineup...light and low...no inverted pin, but we've all lived without it (or have dabbled with the Krux pin) as it's not a must have feature. I'll still skate them, I just don't see the need for them (unless they stop making the lows). We're going to see hollows so that's cool but it might be nice to see cast plates/Ti hangers...tho I'm pretty sure you could fit the inverted hardware in the forged plate but it might limit the tightness able to be achieved as it's nested pretty deep in the cast plate to allow for pretty tight trucks.

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2020, 11:57:06 AM »
Just setup 159 standards and they feel real good.I,'m not too crazy about truck height and weight since I ride mostly tranny nowadays. And if the mids are heavier I don't see a point to change.  ???

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: October 26, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2020, 01:03:02 AM »
I got a set and so far so good.

I asked about this in another thread, just to get more eyes on my problem here.

Having a problem with the bushings though. I can’t tighten them down as far as I like to. Either the kingpin ran out of threads, or it’s hitting the board. I’m on the heavier side (190lbs.) and ride my trucks medium. Had to throw some Indy Hard bushings in, which don’t give me the rebound and responsiveness I get out of the stock orange medium bushings.

Indy Hard bushings are 94a, thinking about getting these Doh-Doh bushings that are 92a, as I can’t find the Indy Medium- Hard bushings anywhere in my area right now.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2020, 01:58:01 AM »
Hopefully they sell the inverted kingpin and  baseplate separately i would like to pair that kingpin & baseplate with titanium hangers.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: October 27, 2020, 07:09:34 AM »
Hopefully they sell the inverted kingpin and  baseplate separately i would like to pair that kingpin & baseplate with titanium hangers.

Someone correct me but if I’m correct Spring 2021. Which is around December to February. But we are in a shortage.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2020, 07:34:26 AM »
I'm starting to get tempted to try these. I never tried lows because I fear/hate change but maybe these will be sweet. 52MM tall sounds good. I don't like the look of the kingpin, but I am also 34 years into skating with a different kingpin so I imagine its just that I am not used to it.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #327 on: October 27, 2020, 07:48:47 AM »
Would putting the new baseplates and king pin on an existing Indy fuck up the geo?

I work at a machine shop and this thread has me wondering if I should buy the cast baseplates and machine them down to 52mm thick.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #328 on: October 27, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »
Would putting the new baseplates and king pin on an existing Indy fuck up the geo?

I work at a machine shop and this thread has me wondering if I should buy the cast baseplates and machine them down to 52mm thick.

The baseplates aren't where they are getting the height decrease - it's in the hanger.   Machining down the cast baseplates would weaken them more than I would be comfortable with.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #329 on: October 27, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
I got a set and so far so good.

I asked about this in another thread, just to get more eyes on my problem here.

Having a problem with the bushings though. I can’t tighten them down as far as I like to. Either the kingpin ran out of threads, or it’s hitting the board. I’m on the heavier side (190lbs.) and ride my trucks medium. Had to throw some Indy Hard bushings in, which don’t give me the rebound and responsiveness I get out of the stock orange medium bushings.

Indy Hard bushings are 94a, thinking about getting these Doh-Doh bushings that are 92a, as I can’t find the Indy Medium- Hard bushings anywhere in my area right now.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Don't get Doh-Doh's. Back in the day I was similar weight as you and I tried every different Doh-Doh hardness. Never felt right to me personally, maybe different for you.

Since you already have the Indy hards, have you tried bottom stock bushing (90a) and on the top the hard one (94a). That's what I've been doing and I like it.
IG: @flowterspace