Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 214950 times)

jsettle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4170 on: November 09, 2023, 12:47:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone currently or recently rode mini logo blanks? They have some on their site for 24 bucks right now. Are they any good? Are the painted ones better than the natural wood grain? Any positive and negatives to them from people who ride or have rode them? I hear they use the same exact wood they use for the non flight powell decks too which i cant speak for either. But with powells legacy in skating i figure they would be some what decent quality...or i could be wrong
[close]

nope
minilogo blanks are made of birch
they just suck if you're not a beginner
[close]

Nah, you are wrong.

Mini Logos boards are the same as Powell's wood boards.
[close]

the detonators i have in front of me (natural) have a birch label and look thick ( i had a few colored ones a few months ago and same birch label).
Good for the price i guess but don't expect it to last as long as a board twice the price.

we're maybe not talking about the same "blanks"
[close]

Interesting. That was not my experience.

Are these recent? Maybe the newest ones are birch?

I got my Mini logo detonator blank in the mail today and there is a 100 percent rock maple sticker on it. Just holding and looking at it, it seems better than i thought itd be. Quality seems pretty good and the shape is nice in my opinion. For 25 bucks seems worth it.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4171 on: November 09, 2023, 02:39:23 PM »
If I bought a flight board in 8.75 or 9 and re drilled the trucks would I lose pop from having such a big nose and tail.

There's nothing on this earth I want more than a big ass flight deck at this moment. But I don't want lethargic pop at all. Last time I redrilled a tail side of board it was not the best move at all.

What do pals think
always go for the nose on a re-drill
fucking with the tail is an absolute no go
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4172 on: November 09, 2023, 02:51:16 PM »
Expand Quote
If I bought a flight board in 8.75 or 9 and re drilled the trucks would I lose pop from having such a big nose and tail.

There's nothing on this earth I want more than a big ass flight deck at this moment. But I don't want lethargic pop at all. Last time I redrilled a tail side of board it was not the best move at all.

What do pals think
[close]
always go for the nose on a re-drill
fucking with the tail is an absolute no go

heard a few folks talk about drilling the tail forward, and that always sounded terrible to me

i skated an april 8.125 x 14 x 31.8 ish. im sure it works for someone, for me it feels bad. the long nose/tail or something just feels wonky. i didn’t give it long enough to adjust to it

why do you want to re-drill? i ask because im currently scheming a big big board 8.75-9 pop, 6.1s or ace classic 55s and giant skateboard tyres. i had one previously and it was sick for hills. fuck it

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #4173 on: November 10, 2023, 12:05:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Why is it that it's always twin tail and never twin nose?

Do anyone of you know any shapes that are twin noses?
[close]

type in "Twin" on tactics (unfortuantely a lot of snowboards will come up...)

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/kaos-8375-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck

that one is 7" / 7" true twin Nose AWS

https://www.tactics.com/welcome/clairvoyant-80-evil-twin-shape-skateboard-deck/black

6.75" / 6.75" welcome pretty sick

theres a bunch more i am too lazy to post but yeah take a look and you will find some. girl has some hybrid / longer ones as well but i think aws/ habitat / welcome were the main ones i remember being longer

Nice, thank you and moonordie!

Weird that the aws has bigger tail and nose than the welcome one but it says twin tail on the tactics website...

I've had deathwish bloards and I've liked most of them so maybe I'll try one of those.

I'm still wondering why  twin tail is more popular tho. At least for me skating the nose makes the bloard feel quicker and it's easier/better to do slides.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4174 on: November 10, 2023, 12:37:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why is it that it's always twin tail and never twin nose?

Do anyone of you know any shapes that are twin noses?
[close]

type in "Twin" on tactics (unfortuantely a lot of snowboards will come up...)

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/kaos-8375-twin-tail-shape-skateboard-deck

that one is 7" / 7" true twin Nose AWS

https://www.tactics.com/welcome/clairvoyant-80-evil-twin-shape-skateboard-deck/black

6.75" / 6.75" welcome pretty sick

theres a bunch more i am too lazy to post but yeah take a look and you will find some. girl has some hybrid / longer ones as well but i think aws/ habitat / welcome were the main ones i remember being longer
[close]

Nice, thank you and moonordie!

Weird that the aws has bigger tail and nose than the welcome one but it says twin tail on the tactics website...

I've had deathwish bloards and I've liked most of them so maybe I'll try one of those.

I'm still wondering why  twin tail is more popular tho. At least for me skating the nose makes the bloard feel quicker and it's easier/better to do slides.
You're welcome.
Maybe you'd like G69 and G96  (8.25 & 8.5) from Crailtap. Those are "twin paddles" which is intended to be a nose/tail hybrid.
Is a great shape.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #4175 on: November 10, 2023, 05:47:52 AM »

What do pals think

The board razortails faster than a normal board. I’ve had a couple. I love them (except for the WB)

I say ride it at 15 until it razors, sand it down, and then redrill it shorter for the longest board life
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4176 on: November 10, 2023, 07:10:57 AM »
If I use super strong double sided mounting tape, can I skate deck rails without screws? I feel like this should work easily. I don't care about ever getting them off again. It would just be my rail deck whenever I tell myself I need to try rails for something.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4177 on: November 10, 2023, 09:42:11 AM »
Thanks pals.

Yeah I agree drilling the tail is a bad idea.

Im just ordering another 8.25 to 8.5 again.
Planning on moving up after new years.

It's cuz I got two pairs of 8.25 trucks I just found on ice.

Being we just dropped a several thousand on the album I can't justify bloard trucks and wheels.

Im pretty desperate to get off the 93a wheel. I gotta chose a wheel asap.

Xmas I'll buy trucks then new years I'll get a short stack of flights.

Also I kinda want that Truck beam by Sci Fi. It's so silly I gotta have it.

If it was just the beam and no trucks I'd have already copped. I seen the trucks on it and was like Lame! Why didn't they just leave the center beam reacting to your own trucks.

But I can't stop thinking about it. It's cute

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #4178 on: November 10, 2023, 10:55:59 AM »
Apologies if you've already had one, but if you're looking at Flights, try one before you buy more.

I'm on one now, and it's a great board, but- expensive, razors faster, hurts more when it hits you, the heads of the hardware stick up- because of the carbon layer, and small chips suck because the top carbon layer peels with em...

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #4179 on: November 10, 2023, 11:29:40 AM »
Apologies if you've already had one, but if you're looking at Flights, try one before you buy more.

I'm on one now, and it's a great board, but- expensive, razors faster, hurts more when it hits you, the heads of the hardware stick up- because of the carbon layer, and small chips suck because the top carbon layer peels with em...

Lmao, not even 10 minutes after posting this, I chip the tail exactly as described. Oh well, got a good run out of this board at least!

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2246
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4180 on: November 10, 2023, 01:06:41 PM »
If I use super strong double sided mounting tape, can I skate deck rails without screws? I feel like this should work easily. I don't care about ever getting them off again. It would just be my rail deck whenever I tell myself I need to try rails for something.
For best results, it is recommended that you employ BOTH double stick tape AND screws. Prevents some of that accursed “rail rattle” you get as the screws loosen over time.
The tape alone will NOT suffice though.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4181 on: November 10, 2023, 02:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For best results, it is recommended that you employ BOTH double stick tape AND screws. Prevents some of that accursed “rail rattle” you get as the screws loosen over time.
Put the drill down and get yourself a ratcheting screwdriver. Sink them in by hand and with the tape they are pretty damn permanent.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2246
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4182 on: November 10, 2023, 02:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Put the drill down and get yourself a ratcheting screwdriver. Sink them in by hand and with the tape they are pretty damn permanent.
100% agree: if you’re using a drill for anything beyond a lickle pilot hole, you’re gonna run the risk of blowing it by stripping the wood out.
Always install the screws by hand if you’re the sort who cares, or takes pride in a job done well.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4183 on: November 10, 2023, 03:28:08 PM »
lol i did a set of rails by hand with this tiny screwdriver and i hated myself afterwards!!! my hands were killing! you have to press so freaking hard.

i used a drill and it was really easy but i didnt do it on brand new boards

i used the ratcheting screwdriver on another one and it was pretty manageable - that seems to me like the best way to do it

i think it is the kind of thing you sort of need to keep tightening over time and also you might get to a point like i have where one of the screws gets so grinded down you cant get it out again. so the rail is permanently stuck in there (and possibly loose)

so they dont last forever

lol if that 1 screw was ok i think these rails could be transferred to another board. debating drilling out the screw and then putting them in with 3 screws on the new board / try and find replacement screw

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4184 on: November 10, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
I'm just gonna try it without screws. Bets are open, how long will they stick to the deck? Gonna skate a flatbar for a few hours tomorrow as a test. I say it's gonna work forever.

The double sided tape can handle 6 kg per 25 cm. The rails are 36 cm long, I've taped the full length and I really don't think there's a lot of force on rails that could rip them off in any direction.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4185 on: November 10, 2023, 06:01:55 PM »
rain setup? who has it? any ideas? it’s not gonna be a lot of tricks, more just skating for distance in the rain. try to keep from becoming a total sedentary pos this winter

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #4186 on: November 10, 2023, 06:24:51 PM »
Super juices, with those SKF bearings that come greased to hell, and any old deck you are almost done with... 

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4187 on: November 10, 2023, 06:29:44 PM »
rain setup? who has it? any ideas? it’s not gonna be a lot of tricks, more just skating for distance in the rain. try to keep from becoming a total sedentary pos this winter

whatever the girl in the crow had

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4188 on: November 10, 2023, 06:39:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

whatever the girl in the crow had

‘….more like surfin’

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4189 on: November 10, 2023, 07:11:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
one of those citrus based cleaners. in australia it's called orange power, i'm sure you have something similar.

not having a go at you, but why do people want to regrip their boards?
[close]

Bought a new unskated deck but it was gripped and I always do my scrap crap grip jobs. If I don’t it’s not my board.
@Mbrimson88 yeah, if I was going full grip it wouldn’t be an issue but there’s going to be lots of cuts so it’d just grab dirt and look like crap after a second of riding.

I’ve heard Ronson lighter fluid(liquid kind for zippos) can work on sticker residue but was hoping to hear from someone else that may have used it. If worse comes to worse I can just try an eraser wheel on it. I mean it works on cars for removing stickers, vinyl stripes, and double back tape but I’m worried it may burn the wood since it’s such a big area.
[close]

Yes those in between areas end up a big mess.  Even when people don't peel off the warning sticker fully and the sticker residue leaves a mess in between racing stripes or similar, it looks messy.

I often pick up boards from others that are sometimes brand new, great deck, terrible grip job or just grip in a brand / colour / graphic or some weird thing on the grip that means the grip has to go, so off it comes and there is no way I can get a lot of whatever is still stuck to the board off, especially with Shake Junt grip, so although I still use pieces to give lines, I have zero gaps whatsoever on those boards.

That might be an option, although it can be a pain if you are cutting things up and like gaps between them.

Also totally get it when you say, if you haven't gripped it how you usually do, it is not your board - even having lines in different areas to where I often do makes a board weird to ride, like it is someone else's board and not my own.

Good luck with the process and I am sure as others have said, it would be interesting to hear / see results.

Got around to messing with this the other day. Goo Gone works great but it does leave an oily residue. Got rid of that with some wax and grease remover(a few good cleanings with windex and clean rags SHOULD work also). Took less than 5 minutes for everything.
If you go that route and use windex to get rid of the oil, try testing it on an old board with a scrap of grip to make sure it’ll stick.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4190 on: November 11, 2023, 06:08:20 AM »
i agree with the super juices (softest, widest , most stable wheel possible) and whatever bearings and deck you dont care about cause i dont think theres mcuh you can do to save em.

You could put snow skate grips on as well because wet grip tape is not very reliable. Alexis Lacroix did this.

i was wondering if spraying the entire complete (maybe not the bearings...) with a galvanizing spray paint could keep it from rusting / seal the wood a bit from getting so water logged. i might try it this winter never got aroudn to it yet. the cans are pretty expensive for a weird 1 time experiment...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4191 on: November 11, 2023, 06:30:57 AM »
i agree with the super juices (softest, widest , most stable wheel possible) and whatever bearings and deck you dont care about cause i dont think theres mcuh you can do to save em.

You could put snow skate grips on as well because wet grip tape is not very reliable. Alexis Lacroix did this.

i was wondering if spraying the entire complete (maybe not the bearings...) with a galvanizing spray paint could keep it from rusting / seal the wood a bit from getting so water logged. i might try it this winter never got aroudn to it yet. the cans are pretty expensive for a weird 1 time experiment...

i like this snow skate idea for grip.

i appreciate any ideas on this one, the cold, wet, dark rainy season is not my best time.
my concern with the super juices is that they will fall apart really quickly with the super rough roads where i am

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4192 on: November 11, 2023, 09:58:43 AM »
I'm just gonna try it without screws. Bets are open, how long will they stick to the deck? Gonna skate a flatbar for a few hours tomorrow as a test. I say it's gonna work forever.

The double sided tape can handle 6 kg per 25 cm. The rails are 36 cm long, I've taped the full length and I really don't think there's a lot of force on rails that could rip them off in any direction.

Update: Held up perfectly. Don't screw around with screws. More rail skating tomorrow

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #4193 on: November 11, 2023, 10:35:40 AM »
Someone please tell me about and show me your Zero boards.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4194 on: November 11, 2023, 11:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i appreciate any ideas on this one, the cold, wet, dark rainy season is not my best time.
my concern with the super juices is that they will fall apart really quickly with the super rough roads where i am

i personally would not drop $55 canadian on Super Juices and then use them on a rain deck either tbh.

If you have to get a new wheel for it, get Ricta Clouds. they are always on sale for super cheap ($30 canadian). they make 2 duros im pretty sure 78a and 93a... so you have the same problem with them shredding possible on the 78a but they are at least more of a current shape so they would be a bit more conduscive for street skating. the 93a would probably work fine and again much cheaper then getting dragons or whatever. if you can find something in the 80 duros for cheap it could be worth a try but there arent a ton of optiosn and most of the ones i have tried like rat bones would still chip as they have that old school shape.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4195 on: November 11, 2023, 01:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i personally would not drop $55 canadian on Super Juices and then use them on a rain deck either tbh.

If you have to get a new wheel for it, get Ricta Clouds. they are always on sale for super cheap ($30 canadian). they make 2 duros im pretty sure 78a and 93a... so you have the same problem with them shredding possible on the 78a but they are at least more of a current shape so they would be a bit more conduscive for street skating. the 93a would probably work fine and again much cheaper then getting dragons or whatever. if you can find something in the 80 duros for cheap it could be worth a try but there arent a ton of optiosn and most of the ones i have tried like rat bones would still chip as they have that old school shape.
Mini logo 90a or 95a wheels are great and even cheaper.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4196 on: November 11, 2023, 04:32:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
one of those citrus based cleaners. in australia it's called orange power, i'm sure you have something similar.

not having a go at you, but why do people want to regrip their boards?
[close]

[close]

Good luck with the process and I am sure as others have said, it would be interesting to hear / see results.
[close]

Got around to messing with this the other day. Goo Gone works great but it does leave an oily residue. Got rid of that with some wax and grease remover(a few good cleanings with windex and clean rags SHOULD work also). Took less than 5 minutes for everything.
If you go that route and use windex to get rid of the oil, try testing it on an old board with a scrap of grip to make sure it’ll stick.

Glad to hear it worked.

I know others who have ended up with grip constantly peeling / never sticking down well, so this is a good fix.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4197 on: November 12, 2023, 10:22:00 AM »
to those wearing pants 2-4+ sizes too wide
how are they staying on you
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #4198 on: November 12, 2023, 10:27:36 AM »
With my sweet Volcom belt

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #4199 on: November 12, 2023, 10:53:37 AM »

1.from the inside of the pants, open up the waistband on either side of the zipper, about .5" using a seam ripper.

2.attach a bobby pin to the end of a shoelace, thread the shoelace through the waist band, goin in one of the holes you made and out the other (so that you end up with a shoelace belt on the inside of the waistband).

3.with a needle and thread, stitch one of the openings you made closed, making sure to stitch the shoelace as well.

4.adjust the waist of the pants to your size with the shoelace, then stitch the other side closed.

5. cut off the excess shoelace at both ends and burn the tips with a lighter so they won't fray.

6. go kill your pants so you can get new ones.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 07:16:35 PM by botefdunn »