Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 70076 times)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #690 on: July 19, 2021, 02:05:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Spitfire OG classics 52
[close]
How are you liking those wheels?
Love the og classic shape - pretty much like a tablet with more forgiveness on coping. I use these everywhere.

hartt3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #691 on: July 19, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »

new brazilian truck brand. carlos iqui seems to be the main pro so far

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #692 on: July 20, 2021, 05:36:05 AM »

Looks pretty good. I'm wishing for thunder geometry with an actual baseplate

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1013
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #693 on: July 20, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »

Look like rebadged royals.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #694 on: August 10, 2021, 06:41:19 PM »
How are theeves these days?

I snapped the kingpin on my tensors lol. Amazing trucks but I've had mixed luck with the durability. Debating on getting theeves or just some titanium indys. Whichever turns better and has better kingpin clearance, which is apparently theeves correct?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1954
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #695 on: August 10, 2021, 09:58:28 PM »

I snapped the kingpin on my tensors lol. Amazing trucks but I've had mixed luck with the durability. Debating on getting theeves or just some titanium indys. Whichever turns better and has better kingpin clearance, which is apparently theeves correct?

Titanium Indys - readily available and I've yet to see anyone with a glowing review of Theeve.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

I Can't Think

« Reply #696 on: August 11, 2021, 02:11:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Titanium Indys - readily available and I've yet to see anyone with a glowing review of Theeve.

Yeah, I remember hearing buzz about them years ago, but next to nothing now, thanks

I Can't Think

« Reply #697 on: August 11, 2021, 02:56:40 AM »
So titanium indys were 160 AUD and the theeve TIKINGs were 120 AUD, said fuck it and got the theeves lol. I've had indys before and they've been good, a solid standard truck, but I'm excited to try something new out. Worst case if I hate it its a lesson learned and trucks for a friend.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #698 on: August 11, 2021, 03:18:21 AM »
Theeve's are great trucks actually, I bet you'll be stoked!

I Can't Think

« Reply #699 on: August 11, 2021, 03:25:41 AM »
Theeve's are great trucks actually, I bet you'll be stoked!

Thanks! I definitely don't think either option would've been bad anyways. I actually skated a pair of V1s ages ago when I was a teenager and they had the bones bushing issues lol. I don't remember what they even felt like to ride, but from what I'm aware they fixed the bushing issue like 5 years ago and don't even use bones anymore so should be all good :)

Edit: was looking through this thread, seems like the WB on theeves is closer to ACE? cause that'd be fucking great. The only thing that bothered me about ATGs besides the durability (tbf I've snapped thunder kingpins as well) was the wider WB made shit like tres hard compared to ACE. Sounds like an indy that turns closer to an ace but isn't as wobbly which sounds fucking sick
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:32:30 AM by I Can't Think »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #700 on: August 11, 2021, 07:41:22 AM »
I just picked up a set of polster titanium trucks. They're an exact copy of thunder trucks, every single measurement is the same as my thunders, but they cost half as much. I don't get how they manage to do that and also how they are allowed to do it. Great german quality too. Do they exist outside of europe?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #701 on: August 18, 2021, 04:50:03 PM »
I has Theeve, can't remember the model but the cheap ones, and they were really nice.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #702 on: August 18, 2021, 06:12:30 PM »
I just picked up a set of polster titanium trucks. They're an exact copy of thunder trucks, every single measurement is the same as my thunders, but they cost half as much. I don't get how they manage to do that and also how they are allowed to do it. Great german quality too. Do they exist outside of europe?

No, but post up a pic, would love to have a look!

China counterfeiters have started making fake Venture and Thunder trucks btw.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TerryFunk

• Rep: 9
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #703 on: August 18, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »
I still have a perfectly good set of Theeve trucks on an old setup... are they even around anymore?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #704 on: August 18, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
My films just started clicking after a year? Guessing the pivot cups is dead, what’s a good pivot cup to put in them?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roger__Kook

« Reply #705 on: August 19, 2021, 02:45:21 AM »
My films just started clicking after a year? Guessing the pivot cups is dead, what’s a good pivot cup to put in them?
Check your kingpins, one of my Films started clicking after about a year and the kingpin was moving in the baseplate. I presume this was from it getting caught on ledges. I knocked them out and replaced them with the inverted ones.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #706 on: August 19, 2021, 05:30:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Check your kingpins, one of my Films started clicking after about a year and the kingpin was moving in the baseplate. I presume this was from it getting caught on ledges. I knocked them out and replaced them with the inverted ones.
cheers, will pull them apart and see what I can find! Either way, what pivot cups and what kingpins fit them? I’m pretty sure they don’t sell aftermarket stuff, at least not in Japan…

Roger__Kook

« Reply #707 on: August 19, 2021, 08:49:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
cheers, will pull them apart and see what I can find! Either way, what pivot cups and what kingpins fit them? I’m pretty sure they don’t sell aftermarket stuff, at least not in Japan…
The do sell an inverted kingpin kit that comes with bushings, no idea if you can get it out there though.
Any kingpin should fit, not sure about pivot cup size though I'm afraid.

sketchyrider

« Reply #708 on: August 19, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
I still have a perfectly good set of Theeve trucks on an old setup... are they even around anymore?

They seem to have stopped selling them in the US, I'm sure some retailers still have old stock but they are kinda dead.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1013
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2021, 10:24:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They seem to have stopped selling them in the US, I'm sure some retailers still have old stock but they are kinda dead.

Theeve’s Insta is still active as is their website (you can still by direct); but yeah that ship has sailed in the states, might still be big in Japan or Oz?

Shame really.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: August 21, 2021, 02:03:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
The do sell an inverted kingpin kit that comes with bushings, no idea if you can get it out there though.
appreciate the advice. I went with a Krux inverted kingpin and ace pivot cups and they both fitted like a dream!

Roger__Kook

« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2021, 03:13:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
appreciate the advice. I went with a Krux inverted kingpin and ace pivot cups and they both fitted like a dream!
Glad it worked out, good info on the Ace pivot cups too, I should probably replace mine at this point.
Was it your kingpins that were clicking?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #712 on: August 21, 2021, 05:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Yo GISM, I'm assuming you used the provided top washer that came with the Krux Downlow kingpin? Did you start getting nasty wheel bite? I kept getting tossed when I switched from Kreper to Downlows. The top washer causes instability. The pressure required to turn instead of being linear or greater the deeper the turn, becomes softer/less/easier for wheel bite. I hypotheses it's due to the recessed area in the top washer. Instead of being fully in contact like a traditional washer, it only contacts the innermost center of the bushing and the outermost edge. This was apparent from the wear marks on my top bushings. Compared to a traditional flat washer contacts the entirety of the top bushing.

In case what I'm saying isn't clear, here's the side profile of the top washer and bushing. The brown represents wear:   

After swapping the Krux pins back out for Krepers the issue was resolved. In retrospect, this post sounds like the ramblings of a crazy lady and I probably shouldn't share my madness.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #713 on: August 21, 2021, 06:05:11 AM »
@PuffinMuffin  no, I get what you’re saying; when I first installed them I just used the regular washer but then the Allen key head was sticking up too much so I went with the Krux ones. Didn’t notice too much instability, but you can’t crank them down super tight I don’t think, I ride medium loose but I couldn’t tighten them anymore if that makes sense? Generally I just like to ride trucks stock because I hate fussing around (and getting truck madness). I’m heading out for a roll tomorrow morning so I’ll see how they go….

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #714 on: August 21, 2021, 08:30:46 AM »
Ordered some Bones Hardcore Hard 96a bushings for my Krux K5. 180 lbs, those stock Krux bushings are super soft. Might be some people's cuppa but I don't like to swerve like that

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #715 on: August 22, 2021, 08:19:52 PM »
@PuffinMuffin  no, I get what you’re saying; when I first installed them I just used the regular washer but then the Allen key head was sticking up too much so I went with the Krux ones. Didn’t notice too much instability, but you can’t crank them down super tight I don’t think, I ride medium loose but I couldn’t tighten them anymore if that makes sense? Generally I just like to ride trucks stock because I hate fussing around (and getting truck madness). I’m heading out for a roll tomorrow morning so I’ll see how they go….
@PuffinMuffin  took the Chico out yesterday with the film trucks on it and the new crux kingpins. I actually like how it performs ttytt. My guess is that the top washer for whatever bushing you were using didn't match up well. For the film bushing it's nice fit and isn't pressing down on any random points causing the trucks to tilt/ wheelbite. I'm pretty stoked on them actually but could see how it might be a problem if the washer and bushing don't interlock well...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #719 on: August 23, 2021, 05:37:35 AM »
I have a friend who's really good who got hooked on the evo 2 years ago. He's been searching everywhere and has like 6 pairs on ice.
They're good trucks.