Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 753454 times)

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2460 on: August 20, 2020, 07:27:34 PM »
So i like to ride my trucks without the top washer and with the nut flush with the kingpin but for some reason with aces when i hand tighten them they make the kingpin stickout so basically i have to tighten them a lot more than i want to or the nuts will fall  off, and it trips me out, how can i fix this?

have u tried screwing the nut upside down?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #2461 on: August 21, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
So, I’m a bit confused and was wondering if I could get some advice.  I have Ace 66s and they are (if you tighten the nuts flush with the tip of the axle) exactly 9 3/8s wide.  Is there any chance someone could give me, in a fraction rather than 8 point something, the size of Ace 55s?

I know this sounds nit picky but I’m all up in my head about truck sizing and debating going down to the 55s.  Sorry for being so specific but many thanks for the help. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2462 on: August 21, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »
So, I’m a bit confused and was wondering if I could get some advice.  I have Ace 66s and they are (if you tighten the nuts flush with the tip of the axle) exactly 9 3/8s wide.  Is there any chance someone could give me, in a fraction rather than 8 point something, the size of Ace 55s?

I know this sounds nit picky but I’m all up in my head about truck sizing and debating going down to the 55s.  Sorry for being so specific but many thanks for the help.

First off Rad username. Second, 55s axles are 9" on the money.

hot take

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #2463 on: August 21, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »
any tips on riding ace loose without the nut coming loose?  i tried taking off the bottom washer, but they keep getting squirrely over the course of the session.  gonna put the bottom washer back on and try it without the top.
I rode them pretty loose for awhile and just kept tightening  the nut while I was skating. It took awhile but it eventually stopped getting loose

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #2464 on: August 21, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
Expand Quote
any tips on riding ace loose without the nut coming loose?  i tried taking off the bottom washer, but they keep getting squirrely over the course of the session.  gonna put the bottom washer back on and try it without the top.
[close]
I rode them pretty loose for awhile and just kept tightening  the nut while I was skating. It took awhile but it eventually stopped getting loose

i went back to using both washers after trying no bottom, and then no top washer.  i was having to tighten my trucks several times in a session it was a drag.  just gonna deal with it
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2465 on: August 21, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
I just put some old broken in bushings into a new set of 44s, waxed up the pivot cup and they feel pretty damn loose with the nut flush with the kingpin.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #2466 on: August 21, 2020, 07:56:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i went back to using both washers after trying no bottom, and then no top washer.  i was having to tighten my trucks several times in a session it was a drag.  just gonna deal with it
I forgot to mention I use both washers. Every time I picked up my board I’d tighten them. Didn’t exactly annoy me but looking back it’s pretty burdensome yet totally worth it when you break them in.

What size are you riding?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #2467 on: August 21, 2020, 08:00:38 PM »
i'm riding 44s.  getting back to riding really loose and liking it, but the back truck wobble is fucking with my 3 flips
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #2468 on: August 21, 2020, 08:33:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

First off Rad username. Second, 55s axles are 9" on the money.

Ayy, thanks so much dude!  You’re the man.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #2469 on: August 21, 2020, 11:14:25 PM »
Soeaking of Ace 55s, a kid/dude came to the shop today with 55s on an 8” Create board. The logic was “52 wheels, 55 trucks - they should match, yeah?”
SPB!

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2470 on: August 22, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
Soeaking of Ace 55s, a kid/dude came to the shop today with 55s on an 8” Create board. The logic was “52 wheels, 55 trucks - they should match, yeah?”

Pics next time please
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #2471 on: August 22, 2020, 12:46:22 PM »
Best thing i heard today

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #2472 on: August 22, 2020, 10:07:20 PM »
I debated asking if he got it from Ruben at the Create store.
SPB!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2473 on: August 24, 2020, 06:03:58 AM »
This might have been addressed way back in the thread but for whatever reason nothing specific was coming up in the search:

I keep blowing out the front pivot cup on my current set of 55s. I skated them for about a month with no issues, but at some point I noticed that the pivot had a bunch of play in the cup. I swapped it out for a new one, it felt great for about 2 weeks, and then went back to being super loose. Repeat again. It doesn't bother me as far as my skating but I don't want to prematurely mess up the truck. I do a lot of slappies so I realize that it might just be collateral, but...

Has anyone else had this issue and successfully resolved it with Riptides or some other fix?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #2474 on: August 24, 2020, 06:28:12 AM »
i think, putting wax shavings/lube in the pivot cup would extend the life of it a bit. 

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #2475 on: August 24, 2020, 06:41:49 AM »
I pulled a decent scam on Zumiez and scored 2 sets of Ace's both 44's I have to say they are rad trucks only thing I've had slight issues with is the weird curvature they have off top looks like they're bowing slightly towards the axles. I've been skating them but mainly babying them not hitting too heavy of a drop it frankly makes me wonder about these trucks apart from their sleek design and awesome turning are they like a crappy walmart truck? where you ollie off somethign too high are they going to bend?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2476 on: August 24, 2020, 08:40:05 AM »
The bend is mostly an optical illusion due to the shape of the hanger.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #2477 on: August 24, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
The bend is mostly an optical illusion due to the shape of the hanger.
I just did a T squared measurement it's very faint when looking at it that it makes no difference but I just was observing for posterity sake.

IpathCats

« Reply #2478 on: August 27, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »
Not sure if it's been said earlier in the thread, but the next revision is confirmed to be coming out spring 2021, super stoked. Rumored to have forged baseplates and hangars, and new sizing too. Should be fucking awesome.

This might have been addressed way back in the thread but for whatever reason nothing specific was coming up in the search:

I keep blowing out the front pivot cup on my current set of 55s. I skated them for about a month with no issues, but at some point I noticed that the pivot had a bunch of play in the cup. I swapped it out for a new one, it felt great for about 2 weeks, and then went back to being super loose. Repeat again. It doesn't bother me as far as my skating but I don't want to prematurely mess up the truck. I do a lot of slappies so I realize that it might just be collateral, but...

Has anyone else had this issue and successfully resolved it with Riptides or some other fix?

Riptides will fix this, I couldn't imagine spending that much on pivot cups at first, but I did and I don't regret it one bit

I pulled a decent scam on Zumiez and scored 2 sets of Ace's both 44's I have to say they are rad trucks only thing I've had slight issues with is the weird curvature they have off top looks like they're bowing slightly towards the axles. I've been skating them but mainly babying them not hitting too heavy of a drop it frankly makes me wonder about these trucks apart from their sleek design and awesome turning are they like a crappy walmart truck? where you ollie off somethign too high are they going to bend?

The OG Ace's actually bent, pretty badly actually, I just got a barely used pair from a buddy and bent them within a week. I doubt Zumiez had ones that old though, just saying.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2479 on: August 27, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
Not sure if it's been said earlier in the thread, but the next revision is confirmed to be coming out spring 2021, super stoked. Rumored to have forged baseplates and hangars, and new sizing too. Should be fucking awesome.

Expand Quote

[close]

Riptides will fix this, I couldn't imagine spending that much on pivot cups at first, but I did and I don't regret it one bit

Expand Quote
[close]

The OG Ace's actually bent, pretty badly actually, I just got a barely used pair from a buddy and bent them within a week. I doubt Zumiez had ones that old though, just saying.

Word, I'll spring for them. It really isn't that much if the resolve the problem. Thanks!

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2480 on: August 27, 2020, 01:34:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Word, I'll spring for them. It really isn't that much if the resolve the problem. Thanks!

Just gunna throw it out that I hope you have better luck than I did with riptide, blew out the front pivot cup about a month in on my 55's. Also do alot of slappies so it might just be a curse we gotta live with

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2481 on: August 27, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »
This forged hanger business keeps getting repeated--sounds interesting, but seriously?  Has any truck company ever done an all-forged truck before this?  How would a forged hanger even grind compared to a cast hanger? Just sounds kind of weird, especially coming from a company not exactly known for its progressive designs. 

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2482 on: August 27, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »

I have the 03 lows and I’ve completely blown out two pivot cups in my front truck in the 2.5 months I’ve been skating them. I like having my front truck super loose so it’s not really bothering me yet. The pivot hole is starting to oblong so I assume that it’ll start effecting how they turn sometime down the road. A couple of my buddies have the same issue with their 44’s. My back truck is starting to show some axle so the plan is to skate them until they break then switch to 33’s
fuck you bama

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2483 on: August 27, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »
This forged hanger business keeps getting repeated--sounds interesting, but seriously?  Has any truck company ever done an all-forged truck before this?  How would a forged hanger even grind compared to a cast hanger? Just sounds kind of weird, especially coming from a company not exactly known for its progressive designs.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108560.msg3219053#msg3219053

Only time I've seen a forged hanger. And in this instance the axles are pinned in place with set-screws. They could also be threaded into the hanger, dunno, my Portuguese is lacking. Regardless, seems like a piss poor idea for a skate truck design. The other option would be to forge weld around/drift the axle through the hanger...also seems a bit insane. And expensive.

It might just be a misunderstanding that kept getting repeated. The few pics of the redesigned trucks that have popped up, especially the ones on Joey T. and Oski's setups, look like normal Ace trucks with hollow pins. But who knows, maybe I'll eat my shoe on this one.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2484 on: August 27, 2020, 09:39:46 PM »
Maybe I'll get the copper 44s, only color acceptable for a truck
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2485 on: August 28, 2020, 05:24:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have the 03 lows and I’ve completely blown out two pivot cups in my front truck in the 2.5 months I’ve been skating them. I like having my front truck super loose so it’s not really bothering me yet. The pivot hole is starting to oblong so I assume that it’ll start effecting how they turn sometime down the road. A couple of my buddies have the same issue with their 44’s. My back truck is starting to show some axle so the plan is to skate them until they break then switch to 33’s

Wild. I have a set of 44s that are super grooved and don't have the pivot cup issue so I wasn't sure if it was a common thing or whatever. I don't necessarily mind how they turn with it, but I don't want it to break the pivot (or as you mentioned) oblong the pivot hole.

Just gunna throw it out that I hope you have better luck than I did with riptide, blew out the front pivot cup about a month in on my 55's. Also do alot of slappies so it might just be a curse we gotta live with

Could be. If that's how it is, that's how it is. I'm glad my 44s are holding up at least.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #2486 on: August 28, 2020, 05:28:22 AM »
Previous stages had that pivot/pivot cup problem but my current set of 44’s has been great, no need to touch them after breaking ’em in.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2487 on: August 28, 2020, 08:59:38 AM »
Does anybody know if Riptide Indy pivot cups fit in Ace plates?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2488 on: August 28, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
They do. They're identical. I swap them out regularly.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2489 on: August 28, 2020, 10:25:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They do. They're identical. I swap them out regularly.

Sick, thanks my dude.