Author Topic: Covid vaccine  (Read 58442 times)

JeremyScottofChapman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
Re: Covid vaccine
« Reply #780 on: October 05, 2021, 06:58:57 AM »
Getting the vaccine is just as selfish as not getting it.  You got vaccinated to lessen symptoms and not die from covid.  You can still get and spread covid.  Stop acting like you did it for anyone else but yourself.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #781 on: October 05, 2021, 07:11:58 AM »
Getting the vaccine is just as selfish as not getting it.  You got vaccinated to lessen symptoms and not die from covid.  You can still get and spread covid.  Stop acting like you did it for anyone else but yourself.

It's also about not ending up in a hospital bed that someone else might need. And about all the other resources and attention that would need to be spend, but that could have been avoided.   

Loki700

• Rep: 78
« Reply #782 on: October 05, 2021, 08:13:05 AM »
This is just completely incorrect.  You can still get the Delta variant, however the illness, and therefore the period that you are infectious, is FAR smaller than if you didn’t get the vaccine.  You are also far less likely to become infected, even from the Delta variant, and therefore can’t spread it.

You know what else this is true for? The flu.  You technically can get the flu if you’ve gotten a flu shot, and thus you can technically spread it, but your chances are extremely reduced, so it still makes sense to get a flu shot.

Not getting either of these shots is extremely selfish and shows you don’t care about others.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1415
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #783 on: October 05, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is just completely incorrect.  You can still get the Delta variant, however the illness, and therefore the period that you are infectious, is FAR smaller than if you didn’t get the vaccine.  You are also far less likely to become infected, even from the Delta variant, and therefore can’t spread it.

You know what else this is true for? The flu.  You technically can get the flu if you’ve gotten a flu shot, and thus you can technically spread it, but your chances are extremely reduced, so it still makes sense to get a flu shot.

Not getting either of these shots is extremely selfish and shows you don’t care about others.

nah, bruv, that's not why I got the vaccine. When I got stuck, the place I was living had one of the lowest rates of Covid in the state. Wasn't particularly worried about getting sick. I got the vaccine because I understand that the sooner more of us who are vaccinated, the sooner this virus and its variants lose potency. I ended up getting really sick anyways and can only imagine that whatever variant we caught in this household would have been far, far worse without a vaccine.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

logjammin

• Rep: 345
« Reply #784 on: October 05, 2021, 01:27:11 PM »
Divide and conquer has reached unprecedented levels

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #785 on: October 10, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »

Driving under the speed limit is just as selfish as driving over it. You can still crash in to someone and kill them. Stop acting like you do it for anyone but yourself.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #786 on: October 10, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
I live close to downtown right by the government buildings here, and so I have to hear all the asinine antivax/mask protests that occur because they're always on loud-ass megaphones saying the most inane drivel. I literally have to hear people screaming "FREEDOM!" into a megaphone over and over.

In fact, just recently they were comparing mask laws to the Holocaust, and it's like fucking really?

Anyway. The side effects from the second dose of Pfizer for me were really mellow. I basically felt a bit tired the morning after and that's it.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #787 on: October 10, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »

Kookiest comment.

Personally, If I lived in the woods I would take my chances with Covid unvaccinated but due to my line of work and living with my elderly mother-in-law, I opted to get it.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #788 on: October 10, 2021, 03:58:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Driving under the speed limit is just as selfish as driving over it. You can still crash in to someone and kill them. Stop acting like you do it for anyone but yourself.
Honestly, this is why I drove a minimum of 30 over the limit at all times. I would rather you die a quick painless death, than a slow excruciating one. I'm a humanitarian.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #789 on: October 12, 2021, 03:21:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's also about not ending up in a hospital bed that someone else might need. And about all the other resources and attention that would need to be spend, but that could have been avoided.

Maybe we should all quit skating (or at least start wearing full pads and a helmet) until Covid has been fully eradicated. We ALL have a responsibility to help protect the health care system and do what we can to lessen the burden on our front line heroes. Don't be selfish now.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #790 on: October 12, 2021, 06:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Maybe we should all quit skating (or at least start wearing full pads and a helmet) until Covid has been fully eradicated. We ALL have a responsibility to help protect the health care system and do what we can to lessen the burden on our front line heroes. Don't be selfish now.
I think you're skateboarding wrong if you end up in a hospital bed by doing it.

You tried, though. You wrong.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #791 on: October 27, 2021, 07:08:00 AM »
I work on a college campus and I just got a call from our health department telling me I’m eligible for a booster. Not really that hyped on going thru another day or two of side effects tbh. Do people get the same type of symptoms from their booster shots as they do from their original shots? Need to figure this out so I can plan around it and hopefully not miss out on anything important. If I really do go through with it, all you anti vaxxers better watch out, I’m gonna start living hella reckless with my new super mega immunity and spew germs all over your dumb non-immune asses. Have fun in the hospital bitches!

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #792 on: October 27, 2021, 12:26:00 PM »
I work on a college campus and I just got a call from our health department telling me I’m eligible for a booster. Not really that hyped on going thru another day or two of side effects tbh. Do people get the same type of symptoms from their booster shots as they do from their original shots? Need to figure this out so I can plan around it and hopefully not miss out on anything important. If I really do go through with it, all you anti vaxxers better watch out, I’m gonna start living hella reckless with my new super mega immunity and spew germs all over your dumb non-immune asses. Have fun in the hospital bitches!

Looking for similar feedback. Pharmacy is finally letting be book an "additional dose" cause that's what Moderna is calling it. Really want it but don't have time to miss from work and weekends are pretty booked through Thanksgiving. A buddy and his wife got the boosters real early in the booster roll out and said they lessened the doses for the ones they give now cause they figured out they didn't need a "full shot" for the booster with Moderna. They were out for 36 hours or so similar to after second dose.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #793 on: October 27, 2021, 01:27:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looking for similar feedback. Pharmacy is finally letting be book an "additional dose" cause that's what Moderna is calling it. Really want it but don't have time to miss from work and weekends are pretty booked through Thanksgiving. A buddy and his wife got the boosters real early in the booster roll out and said they lessened the doses for the ones they give now cause they figured out they didn't need a "full shot" for the booster with Moderna. They were out for 36 hours or so similar to after second dose.

Having gotten vaccinates and a breakthrough Delta infection, all I can say is that if you get the Delta or whatever variant is creeping, you will feel like death warmed over for far longer than 36 hrs. In know everyone's experience is different, but my vaccine reaction that had me feeling like I had a flu was NOTHING compared to the Delta. Get it on a Friday... Jus sayin

Fhk

« Reply #794 on: October 27, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
I imagine your somewhat joking, but bear in mind young children still haven't received the vaccine yet. Pretty lame humor either way.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #795 on: October 27, 2021, 02:02:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I imagine your somewhat joking, but bear in mind young children still haven't received the vaccine yet. Pretty lame humor either way.
i knew someone would be less than enthusiastic about this, so i'll use this opportunity to say: yes, i was completely kidding. i know this is a serious topic that many people don't think is appropriate to joke about. it's always worth reminding people that little kids are not getting vaccinated at the moment and we should still be polite enough not to spread any germs around to them if we can help it.

...but i also think that it's kinda funny when anti-vaxxers wind up sicker than shit all because they didn't want to get a little shot or two. if that's a crime, you can lock me up.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #796 on: October 27, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Having gotten vaccinates and a breakthrough Delta infection, all I can say is that if you get the Delta or whatever variant is creeping, you will feel like death warmed over for far longer than 36 hrs. In know everyone's experience is different, but my vaccine reaction that had me feeling like I had a flu was NOTHING compared to the Delta. Get it on a Friday... Jus sayin

Made an appointment for tomorrow night.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: October 27, 2021, 07:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, man, I realized after I wrote that that I may have sounded like a dick or whatever. I was just trying to get across that catching this shit really blows  ::) hope that it doesn't whoop you too hard, my bro

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #798 on: October 27, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, man, I realized after I wrote that that I may have sounded like a dick or whatever. I was just trying to get across that catching this shit really blows  ::) hope that it doesn't whoop you too hard, my bro

Not at all. Appreciate the honesty. It’s what I needed. Better to just get it done and move on. Especially with the kids approval coming we can get the whole house taken care of soon.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #799 on: October 27, 2021, 07:48:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not at all. Appreciate the honesty. It’s what I needed. Better to just get it done and move on. Especially with the kids approval coming we can get the whole house taken care of soon.

hell ya man. glad y'all ar able to stay well

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #800 on: October 29, 2021, 04:29:14 AM »

Brought to you by Pfizer

Loki700

« Reply #801 on: October 29, 2021, 06:52:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I actually think the approval for kids has made a lot of people on the fence decide to get it, because my parents got it this week and they said the nurse said she was surprised how many first time injections they got recently because they were super busy.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
« Reply #802 on: October 29, 2021, 02:05:25 PM »
one of you great pals made a post with i believe a link to an article explaining what the term “long term” effects really means . would be grateful to anyone that can dig that up as it was one of the best posts regarding this subject ive come across

please help!
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Loki700

« Reply #803 on: October 30, 2021, 03:36:29 PM »
one of you great pals made a post with i believe a link to an article explaining what the term “long term” effects really means . would be grateful to anyone that can dig that up as it was one of the best posts regarding this subject ive come across

please help!

Could you mean this? Only thing I could find when I searched “long term”, and they’re right.  The only reason for continuing to monitor after the trials is to see if the efficacy of the vaccine wears off, not if problems randomly appear later on. 

The only way a problem could arise from something years down the road is if you continue to have repeated exposure, like the sun causing skin cancer after years.  If you were exposed to the sun once and then never saw sunlight for the rest of your life, you wouldn’t spontaneously develop skin cancer down the road.

You got the definition of long term effects wrong. (As many do)

Long term effects don‘t occure after 20 years. They occure right after vaccination and persist for a long time.

So far no long term effects.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: October 30, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
Expand Quote

please help!
[close]

Could you mean this? Only thing I could find when I searched “long term”, and they’re right.  The only reason for continuing to monitor after the trials is to see if the efficacy of the vaccine wears off, not if problems randomly appear later on. 

The only way a problem could arise from something years down the road is if you continue to have repeated exposure, like the sun causing skin cancer after years.  If you were exposed to the sun once and then never saw sunlight for the rest of your life, you wouldn’t spontaneously develop skin cancer down the road.

Expand Quote

Long term effects don‘t occure after 20 years. They occure right after vaccination and persist for a long time.

[close]

yes that was the quote i was remembering, thanks!

@pica can you either explain that further or link an article that explains it . thx!

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #805 on: October 30, 2021, 08:40:39 PM »
long term effects of the vaccine or long term effects of catching a COVID-19 variant?

I don't know about the vaccine and long term effects, but I do know about long term effects of catching Covid. Was acutely sick mid August 2021. I've got pretty great lungs and I generally take excellent care of them (breathing exercises, meditation, yoga, hiker, biker, lung teas, herbs, non-smoker, etc). November 2021 and I've got to use an inhaler following an hour hike on trails with less than 500ft elevation change. Started my last year of graduate school and my focus is absolute crap. Felt like it was getting better for a few weeks and about 10 days ago, my short term memory and ability to focus shit the bed. I take all the vitamins and mushroom supplements for memory and brain health too. I feel older. It's very, very weird. My partner is more fucked up than me. She's zonked out, ready to sleep by 530-6pm every night. Her heart rate has been abnormally high and oxygen levels low. She runs an agency and knows it like the back of her hand and is having a very hard time keeping up with work.

I'm not sharing this for pity, empathy, or sympathy- I'm not even trying to convince anyone to get a vaccine (but wear a fucking mask) I'm just trying to reiterate that this virus, regardless of what it is or where it comes from, even if it doesn't kill you, has the potential to fuck you up for significantly longer than the 10 days you're mandated to quarantine is you test positive.

be well, home dawgs

Loki700

« Reply #806 on: October 31, 2021, 08:40:40 AM »
@IusedToSkateMore, damn dude, that sucks, but does really highlight how much of a crapshoot getting Covid is.  You sound like you’ve kept yourself in good shape and you were seriously messed up by it.  My wife and I hadn’t really exercised from March of 2020 through January of 2021 when we got it.  For us it was like bad a cold where we felt exhausted and we lost smell for a couple weeks. 

The point here is it doesn’t matter what sort of condition you’re in, it could be serious and put you in the hospital or it could be mild.  You have no idea what will happen based on how heathy you are as that’s really not a factor that matters.

Thanks for sharing that man, I’m hoping it convinces a few people to take the vaccine so they won’t have a risk of spreading the virus or contracting it and possibly having serious side effects, which are more prevalent than the serious side effects with the vaccine.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

please help!
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

@pica can you either explain that further or link an article that explains it . thx!

Sweet, glad I could help!

As far as the definition, here are some links to information I’ve found both through my own looking and through my wife answering my questions on the topic; she’s a biochemist so she knows way more about this stuff than I’d ever care to learn on my own.

This link has the actual definition of long term side effect from the NIH, which matches what pica was saying.

This link has a more in depth explanation from Ohio State University of how we know there won’t be any effects that suddenly show up months or years after you get the vaccine.

Tl:dr - Historically vaccines cause side effects within 8 weeks maximum. mRNA and adenovector (J&J) vaccines are not new and have been studied for decades; we understand the mechanism of how they work very well.  Basically the benefits outweigh the risks.

This link has another description from the University of Alabama of the same topic

Tl:dr - The mRNA vaccines are more effective than other vaccines we’ve produced. The risk of long term effects is low because you take once and it leaves your system within weeks; for the mRNA vaccines it leaves your body within days. It also reiterates that side effects of vaccines show up within weeks, if at all. Clinical trials on the Covid vaccines showed minor side effects (sore arm, etc.) that lasted at most days.  More serious side effects showed up after giving the vaccine to millions, which has been true for every new vaccine, but the incident rate is very low and the effects are less serious and less prevalent than the side effects of the virus itself.

Also, lawsuits over medication that has caused adverse effects are medications people would take daily and in higher doses.  It’s the repeated exposure over time that causes problems down the line.  There has never been a case documented of a non-living compound entering the body one time and causing an issue years down the road.  Things that are living/able to reproduce on their own, such as viruses, parasites, cancer, etc. have caused issues months or years down the road because they don’t cause a visible issue until they have reproduced a certain amount.  Non-living compounds like vaccines and medicine are incapable of reproducing, and thus are incapable of causing issues years after a single exposure.

I couldn’t find anything defining “long term side effects” within the actual clinical trial results, and I think that’s largely because it’s expected that the definition is understood.  That’s one issue with scholarly articles and clinical results, they aren’t as accessible to laymen as they should be.

Anyway, I hope this helped clear up some stuff.  I try to communicate stuff well but sometimes I subconsciously assume things I know are common knowledge, so if you need any clarification just let me know.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:48:38 AM by Loki700 »

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #807 on: October 31, 2021, 11:10:56 AM »
@IusedToSkateMore, damn dude, that sucks, but does really highlight how much of a crapshoot getting Covid is.  You sound like you’ve kept yourself in good shape and you were seriously messed up by it.  My wife and I hadn’t really exercised from March of 2020 through January of 2021 when we got it.  For us it was like bad a cold where we felt exhausted and we lost smell for a couple weeks. 

The point here is it doesn’t matter what sort of condition you’re in, it could be serious and put you in the hospital or it could be mild.  You have no idea what will happen based on how heathy you are as that’s really not a factor that matters.

Thanks for sharing that man, I’m hoping it convinces a few people to take the vaccine so they won’t have a risk of spreading the virus or contracting it and possibly having serious side effects, which are more prevalent than the serious side effects with the vaccine.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

please help!
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Sweet, glad I could help!

As far as the definition, here are some links to information I’ve found both through my own looking and through my wife answering my questions on the topic; she’s a biochemist so she knows way more about this stuff than I’d ever care to learn on my own.

This link has the actual definition of long term side effect from the NIH, which matches what pica was saying.

This link has a more in depth explanation from Ohio State University of how we know there won’t be any effects that suddenly show up months or years after you get the vaccine.

Tl:dr - Historically vaccines cause side effects within 8 weeks maximum. mRNA and adenovector (J&J) vaccines are not new and have been studied for decades; we understand the mechanism of how they work very well.  Basically the benefits outweigh the risks.

This link has another description from the University of Alabama of the same topic

Tl:dr - The mRNA vaccines are more effective than other vaccines we’ve produced. The risk of long term effects is low because you take once and it leaves your system within weeks; for the mRNA vaccines it leaves your body within days. It also reiterates that side effects of vaccines show up within weeks, if at all. Clinical trials on the Covid vaccines showed minor side effects (sore arm, etc.) that lasted at most days.  More serious side effects showed up after giving the vaccine to millions, which has been true for every new vaccine, but the incident rate is very low and the effects are less serious and less prevalent than the side effects of the virus itself.

Also, lawsuits over medication that has caused adverse effects are medications people would take daily and in higher doses.  It’s the repeated exposure over time that causes problems down the line.  There has never been a case documented of a non-living compound entering the body one time and causing an issue years down the road.  Things that are living/able to reproduce on their own, such as viruses, parasites, cancer, etc. have caused issues months or years down the road because they don’t cause a visible issue until they have reproduced a certain amount.  Non-living compounds like vaccines and medicine are incapable of reproducing, and thus are incapable of causing issues years after a single exposure.

I couldn’t find anything defining “long term side effects” within the actual clinical trial results, and I think that’s largely because it’s expected that the definition is understood.  That’s one issue with scholarly articles and clinical results, they aren’t as accessible to laymen as they should be.

Anyway, I hope this helped clear up some stuff.  I try to communicate stuff well but sometimes I subconsciously assume things I know are common knowledge, so if you need any clarification just let me know.

great information .. thank you!

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #808 on: October 31, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
@Loki700

for sure. I have no idea how it gets those who it gets in the way that it does. I'm just trying to share that info because I'm sick and tired of people arguing "I'm healthy and have a great immune system, so I won't get it... spread it... etc"

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: November 01, 2021, 04:57:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

hell ya man. glad y'all ar able to stay well

Got the booster on Thursday night around 9pm. All 3 shots were Moderna. Woke up Friday with a sore arm, went to work no problem, started getting a slight headache around lunch took some motrin. Headache started back around dinner time, took some more motrin and went to bed a little earlier than normal. Woke up Saturday with slightly more sore arm, no headache and back to normal now. Not nearly as bad as what my buddy and his wife reported going through.   

I also got a flu shot in the other arm the same night and side effects from those, for me, are quite similar to what I experienced so it would be unfair for me to say the mild headaches were Covid vaccine alone.