Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 213037 times)

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3030 on: March 31, 2023, 06:07:24 PM »
I want to grab a pair of half cab 92 skates, I haven’t had any pairs of the skate line and wanted to check on sizing.
Last pair of vans were when Rowan’s came out
I got 10.5 in the Rowans
Should I get 10.5 in the half cab?

brownjenkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3031 on: March 31, 2023, 06:46:34 PM »
What shoe is most like the Chima 1? It's minimalist but with a little bit of tongue padding. Fits like a slightly beefed up Gravis Filter.

I want to try to find non-Pro vans Era with a suede forefoot and swap the footbed with a pop cush insole. Vans pros tend to feel really clunky and rubbery, and by the time I've broken in the flick area, they've sogged out. 

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3032 on: March 31, 2023, 06:56:34 PM »
What shoe is most like the Chima 1? It's minimalist but with a little bit of tongue padding. Fits like a slightly beefed up Gravis Filter.

I want to try to find non-Pro vans Era with a suede forefoot and swap the footbed with a pop cush insole. Vans pros tend to feel really clunky and rubbery, and by the time I've broken in the flick area, they've sogged out.

***Vans "Skate", not Pro

*shit, meant to edit, not reply to myself

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3033 on: April 01, 2023, 11:52:40 AM »
They weren’t able to handle the criticism.

Anyone skate SKFs? If so, how are they compared to Bones Reds?

I’ve been on the SKFs for a good while now, almost exclusively since they came out with the skate bearings again last summer. I don’t like how they sound. I’m not a “loud bearing person” at all but the grease in the SKFs do make them sound dead. It almost feels like you’d be on softer wheels as the sound is so much more dampened. They also seem a bit sluggish. I changed wheels at some point and had some Bones Big Balls in that were not old. They stared making noise so I figured I’d clean them. Cages were broken in half of them. Pieces of shit but they were fast. Changed to the SKFs on the same wheels and skating the same few indoor parks due to winter it was easy to notice that they SKFs were slower. I still manage fine but I see no reason to buy then again. Unfortunately I got three sets when I bought them as I was going through some gear madness back then. So if they end up lasting a long time I guess I’ll have some in rotation for a while. No idea how long they’ll last. Been the same since I got them. Dunno how they’d perform when cleaned and lubed with some Bones Speed Cream. When they start slowing down or making bad noises I’ll do that and report back maybe.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #3034 on: April 01, 2023, 11:58:56 AM »
incredible artwork on that gx1000 hat  ;D   my 7 year old daughter could draw a better ninja turtle than that  8) im gonna start my own brand this summer there is a shop down the street from me that does all the shit. i already drew my first graphic and imo its better than that

redraw that by hand and i'll buy it on a shirt

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #3035 on: April 01, 2023, 03:29:05 PM »
Expand Quote
I been watching that some skaters doesnt use the 4 bolts of each truck. They doesnt put one of their inner bolts of each truck

Somebody got any idea about why that?

Guy mariano rides like that, you guys cam easy chek on hes ig
And Joseph Campos does it too
[close]

Don’t know how it started but it’s been around since the 90’s . Same as turning wheel graphics in or turning wheel graphics in except one wheel.

i use to this back then, i remember seeing Chris Markovich do it, he would setup so many boards that i guess he got tired of using all four bolts. sometimes he wouldn't even make it out of the Street Machine parking lot w/o having to setup a new board, focus.

i broke a couple sets of Venture baseplates and indy baseplates before i realized what was going on and switched to three bolts, then back to four. with two bolts the baseplate can crack pretty easily when the board flexes on impact.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #3036 on: April 02, 2023, 04:39:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

***Vans "Skate", not Pro

*shit, meant to edit, not reply to myself
Emerica John Dickson looks pretty similar to Chima's first shoe. As far as regular vans with suede they do come out pretty often and if not they almost always have all black leather ones

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #3037 on: April 02, 2023, 08:36:47 AM »
Expand Quote
I been watching that some skaters doesnt use the 4 bolts of each truck. They doesnt put one of their inner bolts of each truck

[close]

Unironic answer: it looks cool

It does look cool. Because reckless/different

I heard/read it started in the 90s when the boards were much more…temporary. Quicker changeout.
Wallows out the baseplates, but whatever.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1416
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3038 on: April 02, 2023, 12:32:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Don’t know how it started but it’s been around since the 90’s . Same as turning wheel graphics in or turning wheel graphics in except one wheel.
[close]
I tried two bolts each truck and three bolts each truck, eventually the board turns one way too much.

never did it on purpose but losing hardware was inevitable when i skated hard and countersank bolts. it might be a habit or superstition thing for some people
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3039 on: April 02, 2023, 04:38:36 PM »
Any way to buy stock Indy bushings without buying a set of trucks?  After market bushings (sold by Indy) are opaque compared to the semi-translucent bushings that come with the truck.  I’ve noticed that they turn differently

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
« Reply #3040 on: April 02, 2023, 05:00:28 PM »
Any way to buy stock Indy bushings without buying a set of trucks?  After market bushings (sold by Indy) are opaque compared to the semi-translucent bushings that come with the truck.  I’ve noticed that they turn differently

I never noticed a difference, but you could buy some trucks and some bushings, swap them and return the trucks as new.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3041 on: April 02, 2023, 05:30:33 PM »
Likely answered in a different thread… what were the general wheelbases on  90/2000s setups? More specifically, Static/EE narrow board/big wheel setups?

Were they much longer than we’re used to seeing now?

Two boards I have that I bought as completes maybe ten or more years ago that are almost new old stock, from about that era I think were these two with dimensions listed:

World Industries Kopycat Lorenzo (1998)

7.625 x 31.1 with 14.0 wheelbase

Indy Stage 8s
World 56mm wheels

Real Skate R team (1996)

8.25 x 32 with a 14.25 wheelbase

Indy Stage 7s
Spitfire 60mm wheels
Lucky bolts, risers and bearings

That is not to say that there weren't other boards both with longer or shorter wheelbases around the same time, as I recall some people like Dan Drehobl skated a long wheelbase board for the China Banks tricks like frontside decker / disaster, but then couldn't do it again when he had changed to a shorter wheelbase board, which I think was around that time.

Edit:

My "Huffer shaped" board from The Firm from 1992 was 9" at the widest point, almost 32 long with 14" wheelbase, but that was the start of the shorter more tech boards coming from the 80s vert setups where the nose got longer, the tail got smaller and the wheelbase came in a whole lot.

Another board from about 2000 was again 14" wb at about 8" or just under and 31.7 or so long, but they are practically done now and not worth taking pics of.

All of these are absolutely flat as flat can be, but still probably have a bit more concave than some of the specialty DOA or other boards.

I have more pics of these ones if anyone is interested too.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 05:51:45 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1584
« Reply #3042 on: April 02, 2023, 05:43:47 PM »
I tend to think most of the stuff was 14", once boards pushed 8"'s and the predominant manufacturer shifted towards BBS/Generator, the wheelbases got bigger. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3043 on: April 02, 2023, 08:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve been on the SKFs for a good while now, almost exclusively since they came out with the skate bearings again last summer. I don’t like how they sound. I’m not a “loud bearing person” at all but the grease in the SKFs do make them sound dead. It almost feels like you’d be on softer wheels as the sound is so much more dampened. They also seem a bit sluggish. I changed wheels at some point and had some Bones Big Balls in that were not old. They stared making noise so I figured I’d clean them. Cages were broken in half of them. Pieces of shit but they were fast. Changed to the SKFs on the same wheels and skating the same few indoor parks due to winter it was easy to notice that they SKFs were slower. I still manage fine but I see no reason to buy then again. Unfortunately I got three sets when I bought them as I was going through some gear madness back then. So if they end up lasting a long time I guess I’ll have some in rotation for a while. No idea how long they’ll last. Been the same since I got them. Dunno how they’d perform when cleaned and lubed with some Bones Speed Cream. When they start slowing down or making bad noises I’ll do that and report back maybe.

I told 3 friends not to get SKF because of the grease and they all did and didn't like them, same as above. I took 1 set, degreased, used some gun oil in em and they're better than stock but still nothing special.

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #3044 on: April 03, 2023, 05:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I‘m 50 % less better skater when I skate new shoes for the first week.

Is it just me?
[close]

if you've to skate new shoes right out of box, plan on doing less to zero kickflips and just work on basic stuff that takes advantage of all that grip. 360 flips still usually work right out of the box, kickflips just suck, especially depending on the height of the foxing or high cupsole, rubber toe capped, ect...

halfflips, caspers probably work great, idk i never really fucked with those but kickflips get toe wrapped by most people with new shoes. new shoes, new grip, forget about it!

as always walk around in new shoes for awhile 1st, they're still gonna toe wrap though.
[close]

Yeah. I’m usually 200% consistent with kickflips, but they still sick with those shoes.
How long would you wear them before skating them?
And when would you say shoes start to skate good?

And how long do you skate your shoes? Mine are done quick. So it sucks to always have days that skating is no fun with new shoes. Every few weeks.

If I could skate brand new shoes every single day I would, when my shoes start to break in I feel like things get less crispy. I love new shoe kickflips.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3045 on: April 03, 2023, 03:36:28 PM »
End 90‘s/2000 eastcoast rap vibe skate videos?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3046 on: April 04, 2023, 06:42:18 AM »
End 90‘s/2000 eastcoast rap vibe skate videos?

Zoo York EST, Mixtape, Heads
Aesthetics Ryde or Die
AWS Photosynthesis
4 Cities

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3047 on: April 04, 2023, 10:40:34 AM »
I was looking at purchasing a Palace deck at my local, but then I checked the dimensions online and they seem pretty crazy to me. I usually ride anyting from 8.25 to 8.5, and I usually like the wheelbase anywhere between 14.25 and 14.5, although I've skated some that were 14.13 limosine that felt pretty good also.

But Palace are listed as 14.0 for 8.25 and 14.84 wheelbase for the 8.375, with a tiny nose (6.69) and tail (6.38)

That seems pretty wild to me, has anyone ever skated a deck with such a long wheelbase and short nose and tail? If so, let me know how that felt. I almost wanna try it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate it, so I probably won't.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3048 on: April 04, 2023, 11:30:14 AM »

But Palace are listed as 14.0 for 8.25 and 14.84 wheelbase for the 8.375, with a tiny nose (6.69) and tail (6.38)

disgusting

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #3049 on: April 04, 2023, 12:00:03 PM »
What does switching from indy standard to ace classics feel like. Is that a smooth transition? I never rode indies, this isn't about me but a really great kid at my local with indies that are falling apart. Thinking about giving away my aces and don't want to fuck it up for him. I know he would ride them until they fall apart, due to being very grateful for anything he gets.

Probably better with riser pads, but I doubt he'd want that

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
« Reply #3050 on: April 04, 2023, 01:02:00 PM »
What does switching from indy standard to ace classics feel like. Is that a smooth transition? I never rode indies, this isn't about me but a really great kid at my local with indies that are falling apart. Thinking about giving away my aces and don't want to fuck it up for him. I know he would ride them until they fall apart, due to being very grateful for anything he gets.

Probably better with riser pads, but I doubt he'd want that

I can switch between Ace and Indy without really noticing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3051 on: April 04, 2023, 02:21:10 PM »
Has anyone had any luck requesting specific DLX deck numbers when mailordering? It's not a must have, but it would be nice if Tactics or a similar store with deep inventory could send "a III or IV if you've got it thanks". I realize this is kook behavior, but my locals rarely seem to have DLX stock and when they do they get one of each deck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3052 on: April 04, 2023, 04:35:34 PM »
I was looking at purchasing a Palace deck at my local, but then I checked the dimensions online and they seem pretty crazy to me. I usually ride anyting from 8.25 to 8.5, and I usually like the wheelbase anywhere between 14.25 and 14.5, although I've skated some that were 14.13 limosine that felt pretty good also.

That seems pretty wild to me, has anyone ever skated a deck with such a long wheelbase and short nose and tail? If so, let me know how that felt. I almost wanna try it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate it, so I probably won't.

Others have had it, some just gave it away, others drilled in the tail to make it a shorter wheelbase and better tail.  They also said the board is not as short as the specs say it is, but if you don't want to have to modify it, I would probably say it is not worth it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FUBAR

• Rep: 238
« Reply #3053 on: April 04, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
Has anyone had any luck requesting specific DLX deck numbers when mailordering? It's not a must have, but it would be nice if Tactics or a similar store with deep inventory could send "a III or IV if you've got it thanks". I realize this is kook behavior, but my locals rarely seem to have DLX stock and when they do they get one of each deck.
I tried and even apologizedfor being a nerd about it. Asked for a III or IV and got a II. Oh well.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3054 on: April 04, 2023, 05:19:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Others have had it, some just gave it away, others drilled in the tail to make it a shorter wheelbase and better tail.  They also said the board is not as short as the specs say it is, but if you don't want to have to modify it, I would probably say it is not worth it.

Yeah, I'm not about to buy a deck to then have to drill it to make it skateable. I'm just gonna pass. I was just curious to know if anyone actually liked skating it, because to me these dimensions seem borderline blasphemous.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #3055 on: April 04, 2023, 05:26:09 PM »
Is it insane to put a 56mm on an 8.125?

roll_dog

« Reply #3056 on: April 04, 2023, 05:30:17 PM »
Is it insane to put a 56mm on an 8.125?

Nah

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #3057 on: April 05, 2023, 01:29:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

my experience with those was much different. i’ve had my set for about a year now, i skate very often, not one bearing broke, no blowouts, they seem to seize up sometimes when i’m just spinning my wheels with my hand but then i throw down and they roll just fine, they don’t feel slow at all. i haven’t cleaned them once (other than just wiping off the dust from the outside) and they are much louder than they were when i first set them up too. these are the best bearings i’ve ever bought, better than reds and super reds for sure. i’ve never had swiss or quantum though so idk about these but as far as the mid price range bearings go these are very good imo
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

djoekr

• Rep: 313
« Reply #3058 on: April 05, 2023, 01:44:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I tried and even apologizedfor being a nerd about it. Asked for a III or IV and got a II. Oh well.

Kinda dependant on the store/employee I guess. I was really OCD about my ply colors for a while, and I'd ask for a specific top ply. Some were happy to help, some said they'd take care of it and throw in a random color anyway and some just ignored the request. I once returned a deck because the graphic was misprinted and not completely centered. Really glad I got over this obsession, I must've gotten many eyes rolling at the office for that return.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3059 on: April 05, 2023, 01:08:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

my experience with those was much different. i’ve had my set for about a year now, i skate very often, not one bearing broke, no blowouts, they seem to seize up sometimes when i’m just spinning my wheels with my hand but then i throw down and they roll just fine, they don’t feel slow at all. i haven’t cleaned them once (other than just wiping off the dust from the outside) and they are much louder than they were when i first set them up too. these are the best bearings i’ve ever bought, better than reds and super reds for sure. i’ve never had swiss or quantum though so idk about these but as far as the mid price range bearings go these are very good imo

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll like them better after cleaning. Would be nice if they last a long time and roll a bit better. Still, it's gonna be very hard to beat the Bones Swiss Six. Those bearings are amazing and well worth the money in my opinion. I think I'm done experimenting and just stick with the Bones Swiss Six from now on after I've busted all my current bearings.