Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 70497 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #570 on: July 03, 2020, 05:45:39 AM »
Got nothing but love for Maglights.

Turn beautifully
No issues with the stock bushings
Stable for a 55mm tall truck
Grind nicely
Super light, great for old man legs

You don’t realise how good a thing you’re on until you try something different. On that note I get my Maglights back and my son gets a slightly used set of thunder 148 hollow lights that I never really enjoyed

Once you get used to them it’s hard to justify switching.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #571 on: July 03, 2020, 06:55:04 AM »
Taking a while for my films to break in, no real issues with the pop coming from aces but the bushings still feel very new

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #572 on: July 03, 2020, 07:21:19 AM »
Taking a while for my films to break in, no real issues with the pop coming from aces but the bushings still feel very new
It seems to me that the bushings dont loosen up like in some other trucks. Not a problem for me, still turns and carves great.

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #573 on: July 03, 2020, 07:57:43 AM »

On my 6.0s it took about a month of skating 3 times a week for them to really get to equilibrium. They were definitely getting stuck not returning to center before they broke in, but now it's super snappy

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #574 on: July 03, 2020, 12:14:42 PM »
By the way, I shaved whatever weight a regular kingpin nut weighs versus the titanium acer racing ones weigh. I forgot to take photos of it before I mounted my trucks and didn't want to take it off again.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #575 on: July 05, 2020, 05:42:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It seems to me that the bushings dont loosen up like in some other trucks. Not a problem for me, still turns and carves great.
hmmm mine are the opposite, they don’t tighten up. When I broke in my 44s I just cruised in them for two sessions and then they magically just tightened up to the perfect tightness for me, I’ve never adjusted them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #576 on: July 05, 2020, 05:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

On my 6.0s it took about a month of skating 3 times a week for them to really get to equilibrium. They were definitely getting stuck not returning to center before they broke in, but now it's super snappy
yeah, I remember someone on here saying they took a long time, 1 month skating 3 times a week is pretty ridiculous, think I might get them half a turn or so next time I head out...

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #577 on: July 05, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah, I remember someone on here saying they took a long time, 1 month skating 3 times a week is pretty ridiculous, think I might get them half a turn or so next time I head out...
So weird, mine were good on second session. First trucks that i haven't had to touch, still running them stock. Perfect rebound, turns great when needed but isn't too wobbly and light pop that makes 8.75 board so easy to manage.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #578 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
I skate the films 5.25 on 8" popsicle(for like 3 month) and the 6.0 on a 9.0 bannerot love seat(occasionally cruising around for a month). I ride them both with the kingpin nut flush. So i would say relatively but not rattling loose. The trucks feel much looser on the bigger board but i guess that is just the bigger leverage because of the size.
The 5.25 took an eternity to break in and not get stuck and feel nicely loose(I guess around a month maybe even longer). Imo the 6.0 on the love seat were good to go immediately (maybe because it was a lot hotter here).
Now both turn when they should and aren't wobbly and they carve nicely. And I really like the pop and they grind really well on both metal and rough ledges. Had to get used to the truck touching the ledge on tail-/noseslides again after coming from thunders. But that took 1-2 sessions and some wear on that metal part.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #579 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »
Guys you need to stop talking but Maglights
Please...
I want some so bad
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #580 on: July 05, 2020, 02:10:53 PM »
Please...
I want some so bad
i have to keep telling myself that 55mm is too high so i dont buy a pair
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #581 on: July 05, 2020, 02:54:59 PM »
Has anyone tried the Film soft bushings?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #582 on: July 05, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Please...
I want some so bad
[close]
i have to keep telling myself that 55mm is too high so i dont buy a pair

Me too, and I tell myself that Thunders and Ventures (or Forged indys) is what I need to be skating, i.e., 52mm<-->53.5mm, yet I keep going back to Tensors because they just work/feel good (and don't give me as much wheelbite since I ride loose).

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #583 on: July 05, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »
Buy a pair of of tensor mags. It’s only money. It’s not like you don’t have a shot box of barely used skate parts already.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #584 on: July 05, 2020, 06:31:47 PM »
Buy a pair of of tensor mags. It’s only money. It’s not like you don’t have a shot box boxes of barely used skate parts already.

A strain of the bubonic plague was discovered in Mongolia, I don't think humanity is going to make it out of 2020. You should really treat yourself to those trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: July 05, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
By the way, I shaved whatever weight a regular kingpin nut weighs versus the titanium acer racing ones weigh. I forgot to take photos of it before I mounted my trucks and didn't want to take it off again.

Acer Ti king nut = 2g ea. (same for axle)
Regular king nut = 4g ea. (same for axle)

You saved = 4g on those kingpin nuts

Those shorty's nuts? half the weight of regular sized nuts

Thunder /Shorty's lights bolts? About 1g/half of anything else. You only end up saving around 30 grams or something if you trim down all that shit, not really worth it (or the $$$) in the long run.

That said, I do like the Acer Ti nuts because they are lower profile, they work really nicely on Thunders if you ride loose and stock bushings.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: July 06, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #587 on: July 06, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »

that could end up being the final straw for me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #588 on: July 06, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
tensor mag atgs are very good, but they're definitely not durable and the mag grinds great on concrete and most things but on certain metals they stick pretty badly. I bent my axle and put a hairline crack in the baseplate after like 4 skates, ledges and slappies only.... so be warned.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2020, 09:34:56 PM »
^^

Pretty much been slappy and flat bar/bench (and some metal bowl coping) only with my ATGs and no cracks or sticky feels. Were you on angle iron or? Just curious.

--

My guess is that Ben will comment on:

ATGs being too light and affecting Pop heft (they do fuck with you a bit)
Pinch

I know he doesn't do a lot of bushing swaps but the ATGs really sing when you throw in bones or other conicals (indy aftermarkets work well). I found the stocks too hard and the top too restricting.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
- Starts off with a heft/lightness bias (he prefers heavier setups)
- Says 55mm (as Tensor suggests) but then says they are 53.5 - doesn't confirm
- Suggests the Wheelbase is like Indy (I don't disagree)
- Good for tired legs  :P
- Grind great/best, better than anything but might make you hate other trucks for not being as good for grinds (it's true), might grind too fast until you get used to them (also true)
- Feels good for 'being in a manual' getting in or out of one, not so much?
- Suggested riding with a steeper deck (he prefers mellow boards with standard/heavier trucks)
- Thinks he may have bent and axle...but has no proof, just his 'carpenters eye'
- Gets wheel bite pretty badly, yet doesn't think they turn well (and he's not a 'swap from stock' type of dude) - Like Indy Stage X before them, slap in some Bones mediums/softs (no washers needed as they are the same height as stock tensors w/washers) and they are golden.
- Didn't talk about pinch

- Pretty weak review in the sense that it doesn't appear he spent much time with them (for fear of getting used to them :P) as he normally does for product, but he's got some pretty deep groves going on.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:38:44 PM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: July 12, 2020, 01:00:09 PM »
A slightly bent axle after slapping on those doesn't surprise me at all. Also agree with the wheelbite to an extent coming from Ventures but it wasn't nearly a dealbreaker. Though the lightness never bothered me nearly as much, didn't notice rocket flips or anything.

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #592 on: July 12, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »
Anyone know anything about Anchor trucks? They come on REAL completes.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #593 on: July 12, 2020, 07:40:12 PM »
- Grind great/best, better than anything but might make you hate other trucks for not being as good for grinds (it's true), might grind too fast until you get used to them (also true)
- Suggested riding with a steeper deck (he prefers mellow boards with standard/heavier trucks)
- Thinks he may have bent and axle...but has no proof, just his 'carpenters eye'
- Get's wheel bite pretty badly, yet doesn't think they turn well (and he's not a swap from stock type of dude) - Like indy Stage X before them, slap in some Bones Mediums/softs (no washers needed as they are the same height as stock tensors w/washers) and they are golden.

- Pretty weak review in the sense that it doesn't appear he spent much time with them (for fear of getting used to them :P) as he normally does for product, but he's got some pretty deep groves going on.

He mentions at around 6:55 that they felt too light and were lacking the feedback on your front flicking foot. I could just be nitpicking (and have sore legs) but I definitely felt that when changing up from Venture V-Hollow 5.6 to 5.2. Interesting how a few grams of weight can make a board feel night and day different.

I think hes just sticking to the big 3 brands, he's pretty ho-hum about Destructos, Krux, Theeve and Tensors that were reviewed in the past.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:42:52 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: July 13, 2020, 06:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
- Get's wheel bite pretty badly, yet doesn't think they turn well (and he's not a swap from stock type of dude) - Like indy Stage X before them, slap in some Bones Mediums/softs (no washers needed as they are the same height as stock tensors w/washers) and they are golden.

[close]

He mentions at around 6:55 that they felt too light and were lacking the feedback on your front flicking foot. I could just be nitpicking (and have sore legs) but I definitely felt that when changing up from Venture V-Hollow 5.6 to 5.2. Interesting how a few grams of weight can make a board feel night and day different.

I think hes just sticking to the big 3 brands, he's pretty ho-hum about Destructos, Krux, Theeve and Tensors that were reviewed in the past.

He's an Indy/spitfire guy for sure...with the occasional dabble on Thunders for boards that aren't his fit for Indys and dabbles in Ventures 'cuz the V-hype train is still movin'.

In all fairness, adjusting to Tensor ATG Mags will fuck you up for a bit if you go back to anything, especially a standard indy; they make every truck feel heavy.

I'm used to the lightest setups I can put together (so far that's Bones V3s, Tensor Mags w/bones (no wahsers), and Primitive deck combos <--- those are the lightest of the light) and will never skate 'standard' anything (except ACE) but will skate Thunder hollow lights (perfect balance for weight and feel IMO next to Ti Team).

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »
Lol I skated tensor atgs on a dipped 8.5x32x14.375 and then went back to an 8.25x32x14.25 on venture titaniums which felt super heavy for a day or two.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
« Reply #596 on: July 14, 2020, 04:32:13 PM »
I got some Tensors once after skating only Ventures for several years. If you like Ventures, this is your closest alternative. These are prob the only trucks i would skate aside from a venture.

I ride a pretty tight truck set up and the Tensors performed pretty well in my opinion.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: July 14, 2020, 07:40:41 PM »
I got some Tensors once after skating only Ventures for several years. If you like Ventures, this is your closest alternative. These are prob the only trucks i would skate aside from a venture.

I ride a pretty tight truck set up and the Tensors performed pretty well in my opinion.

Are you talking ATGs, Lo or Tensor 10s?

I've been skating both 5.5 ATGs and 5.6 Ventures and they could't feel more different.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:03 AM »
Mini logo just got some 8, 8.38, and 8.75 trucks in stock on their website right now, in case anyone wants to try them out.
https://minilogoskateboards.com/skateboard-trucks
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:32:12 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #599 on: July 15, 2020, 07:34:10 AM »
Whoever mentioned Destructo Mids, thanks
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this