Author Topic: Cory Kennedy enters guilty plea  (Read 34191 times)

BacksideWallride

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
Re: Cory Kennedy enters guilty plea
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »
Hey, now that two lives have been ruined, any way the skate industry wants to chill on romanticizing p-stone’s relationship with alcohol?
I guess I don’t know his perspective, but if I die in a drunk driving accident, I’d feel like people were spitting on my grave if they did shit like name a microbrew after me or making people drink beers “in my honor” a la king of the road. Shit is so tasteless and lacking in awareness.
“One of our friends died and the other is going to jail because of a drunk driving accident...how do we respect our fallen friend? BOOZE!” Its gross. A real way to honor him would be to take the dangers associated with alcohol more seriously and to start taking cabs/lyfts when you drink

He called his edits "bru-ray" and the motion graphic was him burping. And on the Beauty and the Beast tour dude drank so much that when his wizard staff got as tall as him (thats when you're supposed to quit) he made multiple off-shoots. Like a ladder of beer cans. He'd be bout it bout it.

He died because he didn't wear a seatbelt, I think they even proved this with the initial investigating. 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 03:40:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Hey, now that two lives have been ruined, any way the skate industry wants to chill on romanticizing p-stone’s relationship with alcohol?
I guess I don’t know his perspective, but if I die in a drunk driving accident, I’d feel like people were spitting on my grave if they did shit like name a microbrew after me or making people drink beers “in my honor” a la king of the road. Shit is so tasteless and lacking in awareness.
“One of our friends died and the other is going to jail because of a drunk driving accident...how do we respect our fallen friend? BOOZE!” Its gross. A real way to honor him would be to take the dangers associated with alcohol more seriously and to start taking cabs/lyfts when you drink
[close]

He called his edits "bru-ray" and the motion graphic was him burping. And on the Beauty and the Beast tour dude drank so much that when his wizard staff got as tall as him (thats when you're supposed to quit) he made multiple off-shoots. Like a ladder of beer cans. He'd be bout it bout it.

He died because he didn't wear a seatbelt, I think they even proved this with the initial investigating.

I guess I agree with some of what both you are saying. That is, the romanticising of alcohol in P-Stone tributes seems gross. His widow seems distraught and is not at all ok or understanding with what Cory did.

On the other hand, drinking seems to be one of the pillars of Preston's life. One could say he lived by the sword. His alcohol related death is the opposite of ironic. Jesus Christ, one of the P-Stone challenges was drinking in a tour van! I doubt he would have wanted to see his friend's life ruined.

What's the correct conclusion? I don't know.

MASTiF

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
this whole deal is a bummer

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 388
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

shit_for_brains

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hope he ends up like Christian Hosoi after jail, minus the whole outspoken born again Christian thing...
[close]

Wearing a fedora and laughing uncomfortably too long at his own jokes?
[close]

I mean't more so with the success and happiness. Then again Hosoi went to jail for meth, not killing a man.
[close]

Anand how many people died from using that meth?
[close]

Probably none.
[close]
Considering that they confiscated it as evidence, I think that’s a good guess.
Of course, there’s much more malice in attempting to traffic meth than there is in giving a guy a ride when you drank too much
[close]

Before confiscation.  your not an idiot, please dont act like one.

That makes one of us I guess.

Since you said "Anand how many people died from using that meth?" silly goose me thought you meant "that meth" when you said "that meth" and since his talents were in spandex and airs and obviously not in smuggling drugs the answer is a big fat zero. You're talking specifically about Cory Kennedy's case but the drug trade as a whole when talking about Hosoi? I'm the idiot? Don't try and hide behind "intellect" when it's razor thin and spelled wrong.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 04:36:29 PM »
Its a tragedy. I hope for Cory's sake he can get over the emotional issues that come from a mistake like this. I hope he worked out a reasonable plea deal, and even if his skate career is done, that he is able to eventually live a regular life again and be a productive member of society.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
I haven't had criminal procedure yet, but what I've gathered from law school so far is all this really depends on the state laws, how harsh the DA wants to rail Cory, what the Judge ate for breakfast that day... Really no point speculating unless you're a criminal prosecutor/ defense attorney admitted in Washington state.

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 11
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
He blew a 0.1 and the sentencing guideline for cases of vehicular homicide in Washington is 78-102 months if over 0.8. Since he entered a guilty plea, I assume they have a deal worked out where they will not pursue it as a case involving intoxication since he was borderline enough to fight that charge. Without the intoxication charge, it's a weak case unless the guy in the backseat testified against them. The sentence should be about two years assuming they tossed the intoxication aspect. I have no idea how much of that sentence will have to be spent in prison.

Source: https://www.hgfarber.com/rcw-46-61-520-vehicular-homicide.html

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hope he ends up like Christian Hosoi after jail, minus the whole outspoken born again Christian thing...
[close]

Wearing a fedora and laughing uncomfortably too long at his own jokes?
[close]

I mean't more so with the success and happiness. Then again Hosoi went to jail for meth, not killing a man.
[close]

Anand how many people died from using that meth?
[close]

Probably none.
[close]
Considering that they confiscated it as evidence, I think that’s a good guess.
Of course, there’s much more malice in attempting to traffic meth than there is in giving a guy a ride when you drank too much
[close]

Before confiscation.  your not an idiot, please dont act like one.
[close]

That makes one of us I guess.

Since you said "Anand how many people died from using that meth?" silly goose me thought you meant "that meth" when you said "that meth" and since his talents were in spandex and airs and obviously not in smuggling drugs the answer is a big fat zero. You're talking specifically about Cory Kennedy's case but the drug trade as a whole when talking about Hosoi? I'm the idiot? Don't try and hide behind "intellect" when it's razor thin and spelled wrong.

^^^what SFB said.  Also worth noting that, generally speaking, meth is actually pretty bad at killing people, which is why we have all those mugshot timelines that span years or decades of people slowly becoming increasingly horrifying to look at.

Had that big bag of meth gone missing, the real question would be, how many Honolulu residents stayed up for four days obsessively scrubbing their kitchen floors and picking at their faces?

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
Holy shit. I know I'm gonna get shit for this, but I didn't hear about this. And even crazier, I didn't know this is how P-Stone died.

I guess I've been pretty out of the loop of skating for the past 10 or so months cause of school, but I did see on instagram that he died, just didn't know how. This is crazy
Shit could be worse

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You've got a vendetta against the truth.   Dude drank.  He was drunk when he died.  Also people like to drink - I could say that your using his death as a platform for your guilt trips but I'm not that kind of guy.
Well, you’re an idiot. I’m just saying if I die by drowning don’t hold my memorial at a swimming pool. Same logic works for beer.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 08:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You've got a vendetta against the truth.   Dude drank.  He was drunk when he died.  Also people like to drink - I could say that your using his death as a platform for your guilt trips but I'm not that kind of guy.
[close]
Well, you’re an idiot. I’m just saying if I die by drowning don’t hold my memorial at a swimming pool. Same logic works for beer.

Even if you died at age 90 swimming laps at a community pool you’ve gone to every day since 1973?

skrub

• Rep: -3
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »
A girl in Tacoma, first time offender, killed a guy on a bike while drunk (barely) and she got 7 years after pleading guilty. Same basic deal, so I would expect him to get 7 and serve 4.

Putting him in jail doesn't bring P-Stone back -- and let's be clear this was an accident, he wasn't trying to kill him --but if you do the crime, you have to do the time.

Also some people were posting about his widow, I follow her on IG she seemed 100% OK with the KOTR tribute -- she knows who she was married to and she was down with him -- but it's also obvious her life has been ripped apart by Preston's dead. (I just checked her FB and she linked to the episode with a lot of <3s, btw.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:04:34 PM by skrub »

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
At first I felt some sympathy for Cory because he was a favorite growing up, but when Elijah, Grant, and Ishod went to Washington State last month, I saw Instagram stories of them drinking beers in the back of a van that was in motion.  I don't know if Cory was drinking or not, I would certainly hope he would have the good sense to distance himself from alcohol and motor vehicles. 

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Even if you died at age 90 swimming laps at a community pool you’ve gone to every day since 1973?
The equivalent dedication to alcohol is far less worthy of celebration
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

fs overkrook

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 09:51:29 PM »
At first I felt some sympathy for Cory because he was a favorite growing up, but when Elijah, Grant, and Ishod went to Washington State last month, I saw Instagram stories of them drinking beers in the back of a van that was in motion.  I don't know if Cory was drinking or not, I would certainly hope he would have the good sense to distance himself from alcohol and motor vehicles.
Trunk bois bro.

Haha do you by any chance ride for skatology?

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 11:58:25 PM »
wait, p-stone had no seat belt on???

IHOP

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 12:12:38 AM »
His death was mostly related to his not having a seatbelt on, but i agree beer worship is annoying.  Slaps favorite patlanta got a pstone tattoo of a water faucet crossed out and beer written underneath it, maybe preston would have enjoyed that but from an outsiders view its so immature and corny.

Regaurdless of how the man lived his life i think its pretty obvious this is a good time to reevaluate the glory and praise skateboarding and the general public put on drinking and partying. 

Everyone skating over cases of beer at cph looked like a fuckin tailgate party, some trashy jock shit.

trillytrill

• Rep: 10
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »
A girl in Tacoma, first time offender, killed a guy on a bike while drunk (barely) and she got 7 years after pleading guilty. Same basic deal, so I would expect him to get 7 and serve 4.

the big difference though is that  guy on a bike wasn't party to the drinking. p-stone was drinking with cory and knew he was getting in the car with someone who'd been drinking and didn't wear a seatbelt. that has to mitigate cory's responsibility at least somewhat.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 07:08:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the big difference though is that  guy on a bike wasn't party to the drinking. p-stone was drinking with cory and knew he was getting in the car with someone who'd been drinking and didn't wear a seatbelt. that has to mitigate cory's responsibility at least somewhat.

The court will not blame the victim like that.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »
Anybody have any idea when the sentece will be ruled?

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2018, 07:45:48 AM »

So whoever is driving cant be sober while dudes drink beer in the back?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
driving a vehicle with an open container of alcohol in it is a separate offense from a dui

edit: apparently it's legal in some states, but WA isn't one of them
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:02:58 AM by sharkin »

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2018, 08:27:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think his point was that p-stone was not a true victim to the same extent of a random guy riding his bike down the street and getting hit.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2018, 08:43:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I think his point was that p-stone was not a true victim to the same extent of a random guy riding his bike down the street and getting hit.

I get what you guys mean but you should take a look at what you're saying. The term gets abused but you're textbook victim blaming. Cory Kennedy was driving drunk and crashed the car. That's the crime and Pstone was a victim of that. Him being drunk in the chair next to him has absolutely no bearing on Cory sliding the car into a tree because he was driving too fast while drunk and couldn't control it.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I get what you guys mean but you should take a look at what you're saying. The term gets abused but you're textbook victim blaming. Cory Kennedy was driving drunk and crashed the car. That's the crime and Pstone was a victim of that. Him being drunk in the chair next to him has absolutely no bearing on Cory sliding the car into a tree because he was driving too fast while drunk and couldn't control it.

Yep
Gentleman ninja warlock

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Dude will come out the pen all “swole on bread and water”
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I see victim blaming more as blaming the guy for riding a bike at night or saying that someone was raped because of what they are wearing. assuming p-stone was drinking with cory before he drove, knew that he probably had too much to drink to drive and still got in the car without a seatbelt - and the possibility that they were drinking while driving/open container has more bearing on the situation than you or me driving to work and a drunk crossing the center line. 

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The assumption that there would be a memorial held for YOU is laughable. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

shit_for_brains

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I see victim blaming more as blaming the guy for riding a bike at night or saying that someone was raped because of what they are wearing. assuming p-stone was drinking with cory before he drove, knew that he probably had too much to drink to drive and still got in the car without a seatbelt - and the possibility that they were drinking while driving/open container has more bearing on the situation than you or me driving to work and a drunk crossing the center line.

Again I see what you're getting at but I think you're crossing a lot of wires to justify him being at fault for his own death. He isn't. They weren't sharing the wheel or pedals with Cory in charge of turning left and braking and Preston in charge of turning right and accelerating.  You're conflating his poor decisions that were unrelated to Cory's responsibility and fatal error as the operator of the automobile.  He could have made better decisions that would have altered things, sure, but he is absolutely a victim of Cory's drunk driving. You don't know if he was telling him to go faster or to slow the fuck down. You have no idea of anything that happened aside from three people got drunk, one of them was driving a car, one of them was seriously injured, and one of them died. He was inarguably the victim of vehicular homicide (you can tell because that's what Cory was charged with) and you saying "hmmm I dunno I feel like..." doesn't change it. You're wrong.