Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 376273 times)

cloudy

Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #750 on: January 10, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »
Expand Quote
They brought it up on The Nine Club Experience, talked about Dan and his injury, mentioned Jesse, said there was no available video to watch and the court probably had it sealed or something stupid. Kelly says something like "That kickflip 5050 though." Then Chris Roberts goes on to say some two sides to every story shit.
[close]

You got a time stamp on when they discuss the incident? I've only skimmed through the Mid 90's once but your rehash of the 9 Club sounds like it could be in the Mid 90s script.

thanks for bringing that to our attention, slobplant. i figured they may have discussed it based on their gofundme donation.

starts at 1:12:34 and goes til about 1:19:27.

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #751 on: January 10, 2019, 08:35:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
While I understand the frustration, I completely get why Thrasher isn't going anywhere near this. Now, I think they would avoid it even if they weren't potentially liable, but in the current situation, it'd be insane to have anything on record. They are the richest entity that has any potential of liability in this case, and therefore are the ones who they would target. It's not like you are going to be able to take much money off of Jesse, Pizza skateboards or GX1000.
[close]

I highly doubt that High Speed has any liability in this situation. Unless someone from GX1000 is staff for High Speed.

The only issue could be X company is upset that Y magazine produced negative publicity about one of their (former) riders and stops advertising. However, since the skate media-is-pay-to-play, X company would have to be pretty confident that they and their riders could go without editorial coverage in Y mag.

Also, our discussion frames this all as, "the industry/editors/mags aren't allowing anyone to cover this," I really wonder if any writer has even pitched this idea. What skate "journalist" is going to wake up at 7AM, get to the court house at 8:00, sit around, take notes on the case, and then write something up?

There are only a handful of skate mag writers who I think are competent and thoughtful enough to even consider covering this. Most skate journalists simply write about x pro shitting his pants or something else  that barely requires any thought at all.

Finally, I can easily imagine an editor believing, "Yea, it is a good idea, but it is boring. None of our readers are going to care." (This isn't true, but I can imagine the editor believing this.)
[close]
Tony Vitello was the executive producer on Roll Up. Pretty much all of Garshall's footage goes to Thrasher. I also wouldn't be surprised if Garshall is some sort of contractor to Thrasher. It can be argued they have promoted a culture of non-compliance.

yall are reaching.  Thrasher has no liability regarding one guy that was in a few videos featured on their website committing a crime. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #752 on: January 10, 2019, 11:41:10 AM »
Benjamin Deberdt and I have been considering writing an article about this on LIVE Skateboard Media with a link to the GoFundMe and all, but what's been holding us back so far is the lack of accurate information still. The news are still too fresh with updates on the situation every day, obviously what really matters in this case and should be written about is the end result and how the skaters fucked up and maybe criticism of the glorification of such behaviors by the mainstream industry but if you're going to present a 'recap' of what happened, which you have to in this case, it's tough to base one on online hearsay, even just in this thread people keep contradicting each other, I personally think this is serious and not the type of situation where it's acceptable to talk out of one's ass. I'm sure we aren't the only website watching the situation and waiting for enough facts to surface that we could then put together, too. Nobody gives a shit about the advertisers, Thrasher has to be the only entity whose people might reasonably be shitting their pants right now and they're a magazine, not an advertiser. Most of the advertising in skate media is shoe brands and I can't see any shoe brand directly linked to the event. Not backing Dan's cause would be terrible rep for any business right now, if anything.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:43:30 AM by silhouette »

cloudy

« Reply #753 on: January 10, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
Benjamin Deberdt and I have been considering writing an article about this on LIVE Skateboard Media with a link to the GoFundMe and all, but what's been holding us back so far is the lack of accurate information still. The news are still too fresh with updates on the situation every day, obviously what really matters in this case and should be written about is the end result and how the skaters fucked up and maybe criticism of the glorification of such behaviors by the mainstream industry but if you're going to present a 'recap' of what happened, which you have to in this case, it's tough to base one on online hearsay, even just in this thread people keep contradicting each other, I personally think this is serious and not the type of situation where it's acceptable to talk out of one's ass. I'm sure we aren't the only website watching the situation and waiting for enough facts to surface that we could then put together, too. Nobody gives a shit about the advertisers, Thrasher has to be the only entity whose people might reasonably be shitting their pants right now and they're a magazine, not an advertiser. Most of the advertising in skate media is shoe brands and I can't see any shoe brand directly linked to the event. Not backing Dan's cause would be terrible rep for any business right now, if anything.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #754 on: January 10, 2019, 12:01:38 PM »

Maybe you shouldn't write about it if you can't figure out how to source it and you're not going to take the time to find court documents and first-hand information. Also, Cons sponsors most of the GX1000 crew, do they not? Cons seems to be the main advertiser for Jenkem, one of the only outlets I can see doing a decent job of this story. And Jenkem has ignored controversial topics in the past (Jason Jessee) because of Cons...

Edit: Cloudy beat me to it.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #755 on: January 10, 2019, 12:01:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
While I understand the frustration, I completely get why Thrasher isn't going anywhere near this. Now, I think they would avoid it even if they weren't potentially liable, but in the current situation, it'd be insane to have anything on record. They are the richest entity that has any potential of liability in this case, and therefore are the ones who they would target. It's not like you are going to be able to take much money off of Jesse, Pizza skateboards or GX1000.
[close]

I highly doubt that High Speed has any liability in this situation. Unless someone from GX1000 is staff for High Speed.

The only issue could be X company is upset that Y magazine produced negative publicity about one of their (former) riders and stops advertising. However, since the skate media-is-pay-to-play, X company would have to be pretty confident that they and their riders could go without editorial coverage in Y mag.

Also, our discussion frames this all as, "the industry/editors/mags aren't allowing anyone to cover this," I really wonder if any writer has even pitched this idea. What skate "journalist" is going to wake up at 7AM, get to the court house at 8:00, sit around, take notes on the case, and then write something up?

There are only a handful of skate mag writers who I think are competent and thoughtful enough to even consider covering this. Most skate journalists simply write about x pro shitting his pants or something else  that barely requires any thought at all.

Finally, I can easily imagine an editor believing, "Yea, it is a good idea, but it is boring. None of our readers are going to care." (This isn't true, but I can imagine the editor believing this.)
[close]
Tony Vitello was the executive producer on Roll Up. Pretty much all of Garshall's footage goes to Thrasher. I also wouldn't be surprised if Garshall is some sort of contractor to Thrasher. It can be argued they have promoted a culture of non-compliance.
[close]

yall are reaching.  Thrasher has no liability regarding one guy that was in a few videos featured on their website committing a crime.
Working with a filmer who they most likely have under contract? In the process of creating footage that will most likely be used on their website?

There's also a big difference between criminal and civil liability.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:05:16 PM by DannyDee »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #756 on: January 10, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
The guys' respective deals do not directly link their sponsors to the event in my opinion, plus I'm not sure they would ever want to be, and if any of them ever begs to differ then they better quickly feel concerned about the instantaneous backlash they would get if they ever tried getting in the way of Dan's cause. Profit over people is doomed to fail.

The lack of available information is what's been holding us back and why we haven't written anything, quite duly so. Just chiming in to state that 'skate media' cares about the issue more than what I see people assuming, it's just that said issue is particularly delicate.

We're probably just going to post the GoFundMe.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:04:33 PM by silhouette »

notcool

« Reply #757 on: January 10, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any update on jesse? i heard they were holding him on a no bail bond.  i thought he was supposed to be arrainged at the beggining of January?
[close]
He went to court Friday morning and is back in jail. He  will stand trial not sure when though
[close]
thats gotta suck rotting in county jail
[close]
Boohoo. What has to really suck is having your head caved in. Fuck outta here
did I mean that in a supportive way of Jesse? Fuckouttahere

thebaggy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #758 on: January 10, 2019, 05:26:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I know this has been addressed already, but a competent lawyer could put together a civil case against GX1000, and perhaps even Thrasher. If one were to try and paint the picture of thrasher propagating this type of behavior they would have plenty of data. I can imagine it would be very easy to triangulate Vieira's actions, Thrashers agenda, and GX1000s involvement therein.
   For the record, I'm being the devils advocate here for the sake of shedding light on the severity of this situation. I believe that Vieira ( and those who were immediately involved) are responsible for their own actions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:30:09 PM by thebaggy »
Rotate your wheels regularly.

Get the strap

« Reply #759 on: January 10, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
Based off what you're saying, how crazy would it be if skater lawyers sued pizza and gx1000. I mean these fucking guys really fucked up, and the skateboard grim reapers need to show up, if you know what I mean. Imagine. I bet skate lawyers are fucking death

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #760 on: January 10, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »
Based off what you're saying, how crazy would it be if skater lawyers sued pizza and gx1000. I mean these fucking guys really fucked up, and the skateboard grim reapers need to show up, if you know what I mean. Imagine. I bet skate lawyers are fucking death

...for what? IOU's?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

John Florence

« Reply #761 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
In the light of recent events, the only way to go is a proposition to restrict skateboard possession among San Francisco residents.

thebaggy

« Reply #762 on: January 10, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »

What's a skate lawyer exactly

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #763 on: January 10, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it's a step above or below 'bird law'.
Whoever is in SF, go to court and come back, post about it. Print it in a zine, you're a court reporter. Send it to Jenkem, you're a journalist. Don't mix opinion into the facts.

thebaggy

« Reply #764 on: January 10, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I think it's a step above or below 'bird law'.

Well shoot, bird law is over my head. 

Get the strap

« Reply #765 on: January 10, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fucking any of them dumbfuck.

thebaggy

« Reply #766 on: January 10, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fucking any of them dumbfuck.

Suck my ass

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
« Reply #767 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:57 PM »
all the posts on the gx instagram account have turned off comments
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

shit_for_brains

« Reply #768 on: January 10, 2019, 07:44:58 PM »
Maybe instead of sitting on your technology and gossiping you people should instead use your brainpower to realize you're being spoon fed information through what you read online and see in the news. Seriously, everyone here is talking like they are certain of what happened and are so quick to boycott a group of people and spread negativity. All the information you're working off of is what is being debated in the court room, how the news interprets it into an "interesting" story, and peoples reactions from those news stories, and so on and so forth.  No one here knows what actually happened.

Were you there? Are you from SF? Do you know what really happened? Did Jon Bon Jovi's personal bodyguard ask me to leave a public restroom? Do I know the answers to any of these questions? Spooky. If the truth concerns you, get your beans out and spill them.

HisDudest

• Rep: -140
« Reply #769 on: January 10, 2019, 07:47:28 PM »
I got banned for saying "fag" twice. Be careful out here, 2019 is no joke. I made a slap account just so I could say fag and person wtf

BMCsteve

• Rep: 56
« Reply #770 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »

They're only turned off for non-followers of the account

sk8ordontordie

• Rep: -16
  • I like to skate
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #771 on: January 10, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're only turned off for non-followers of the account
Everyone
Welcome to slap message board

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #772 on: January 11, 2019, 12:24:48 AM »

cos they're a bunch of biatches. i know you see this gx fam.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1525
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #773 on: January 11, 2019, 04:18:30 AM »
can't believe that the 9 club had the balls to talk about this incident, while (most) other skate media is playing dumb. even if all the circumstances have not been clarified, skate media should put out a united message on not messing with security and simply leaving a spot

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #774 on: January 11, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »
The nine club donated to the victims gofundme too

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #775 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
cos they're a bunch of biatches. i know you see this gx fam.
I've never seen someone go from hero to zero so fast
Gx1000 means Gator x 1000
nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

euro tm

« Reply #776 on: January 11, 2019, 08:42:50 AM »
can't believe that the 9 club had the balls to talk about this incident, while (most) other skate media is playing dumb. even if all the circumstances have not been clarified, skate media should put out a united message on not messing with security and simply leaving a spot

nine club and transworld are the only two so far. thrashers fuckin poosey

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #777 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Shortly after the Black Rock incident, a jury found a skater in Redwood City guilty of an attack on a cop. He faces 20 years in prison. His sentencing is on the 15th of this month.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/03/man-guilty-in-2016-skateboard-attack-on-south-san-francisco-officer/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:41:35 AM by tkp »

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #778 on: January 11, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

yall are reaching.  Thrasher has no liability regarding one guy that was in a few videos featured on their website committing a crime

I know this has been addressed already, but a competent lawyer could put together a civil case against GX1000, and perhaps even Thrasher. If one were to try and paint the picture of thrasher propagating this type of behavior they would have plenty of data. I can imagine it would be very easy to triangulate Vieira's actions, Thrashers agenda, and GX1000s involvement therein.
   For the record, I'm being the devils advocate here for the sake of shedding light on the severity of this situation. I believe that Vieira ( and those who were immediately involved) are responsible for their own actions.

No way Thrasher is criminally on the hook, but it is easy to see how they would be a likely target for civil action. If there is even vague evidence that Thrasher was going to pay for the video content that was being created at Black Rock (and there is), then Thrasher would be an easy target for a suit.
While I doubt the Security Guard's family would successfully win the several million from Thrasher that they would likely sue for in a full trial, it is very likely that Thrasher would settle for, say $250k to avoid the publicity and legal fees of it all.

The goal for a lot of these suits isn't to win a trial, but to maximize a settlement from an entity wealthy enough to pay big to just make the situation go away quietly.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #779 on: January 11, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »
The guys' respective deals do not directly link their sponsors to the event in my opinion, plus I'm not sure they would ever want to be, and if any of them ever begs to differ then they better quickly feel concerned about the instantaneous backlash they would get if they ever tried getting in the way of Dan's cause. Profit over people is doomed to fail.

The lack of available information is what's been holding us back and why we haven't written anything, quite duly so. Just chiming in to state that 'skate media' cares about the issue more than what I see people assuming, it's just that said issue is particularly delicate.

We're probably just going to post the GoFundMe.

If you are indeed writing about this then it is up to you to properly report on the subject at hand with proper journalist standards. That's going to take some actual reporting and interviewing of subjects related to the case that are less than inclined to give an interview regarding such a touchy subject. Being a skater and residing in the bay area will give you a huge leg up against traditional media with regards to getting proper sources and getting pertinent information that has not been previously reported on.

If you are afraid of potential confrontation associated to this story then just stick to hero worship and puff pieces of which almost all skate writers already write about.