Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 376211 times)

Get the strap

Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #780 on: January 11, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »
Expand Quote
any update on jesse? i heard they were holding him on a no bail bond.  i thought he was supposed to be arrainged at the beggining of January?
[close]

next court date is this friday at 9:00 a.m.

anyone living in the bay area wanna be the slap correspondent? jenkem sent a crew to pa to cover bam's house party. if you're a freelancer in sf, maybe you can get them to pick up your story?

http://apps.sfgov.org/InmateInfo/

So what's the verdict? His trial started almost 2 hours ago.

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #781 on: January 11, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
Shortly after the Black Rock incident, a jury found a skater in Redwood City guilty of an attack on a cop. He faces 20 years in prison. His sentencing is on the 15th of this month.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/03/man-guilty-in-2016-skateboard-attack-on-south-san-francisco-officer/

god damn. I remember when this happened. 2 years later and they are just figuring it out. Thats crazy

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #782 on: January 11, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »
Expand Quote
The guys' respective deals do not directly link their sponsors to the event in my opinion, plus I'm not sure they would ever want to be, and if any of them ever begs to differ then they better quickly feel concerned about the instantaneous backlash they would get if they ever tried getting in the way of Dan's cause. Profit over people is doomed to fail.

The lack of available information is what's been holding us back and why we haven't written anything, quite duly so. Just chiming in to state that 'skate media' cares about the issue more than what I see people assuming, it's just that said issue is particularly delicate.

We're probably just going to post the GoFundMe.
[close]

If you are indeed writing about this then it is up to you to properly report on the subject at hand with proper journalist standards. That's going to take some actual reporting and interviewing of subjects related to the case that are less than inclined to give an interview regarding such a touchy subject. Being a skater and residing in the bay area will give you a huge leg up against traditional media with regards to getting proper sources and getting pertinent information that has not been previously reported on.

If you are afraid of potential confrontation associated to this story then just stick to hero worship and puff pieces of which almost all skate writers already write about.

Again and for the last time as people have also been PM'ing me about this (which I can understand as those are healthy concerns), we are not writing anything about the issue for we are well aware of our limitations (geographical, even). My original post really only meant to convey that 'skate media' actually gave a shit about this and that in a situation as serious as this one, advertisers shouldn't be a problem (unless you're Thrasher), as to cut the conspiracy theories I was seeing emerge; everybody is only being reasonable by not re-appropriating the case as one more opportunity to talk out of their asses, throw random names under the bus, pass online hearsay as facts and just generally not being pieces of shit. And again, if anything the GoFundMe really is the only thing that's useful to share.

I'm just confused as to what type of reaction some people are expecting from 'skate media' really. No one with proper education should need to go through paragraphs in order to understand that violence is bad. The real problem here is how entities such as Thrasher have been brandishing the polar opposite banner for decades now, glorifying being the caricature of an asshole to try to win the vulnerable, gullible youth's wallets over the disguise of a 'punk' edge when really, for at least a decade now they've been working hand in hand with the biggest and most disconnected brands in the world. Their model is outdated as fuck and this instance only proves it.

Anyway, again, only really meant to chime in just to state skate media does give a shit. Which doesn't mean it would be wise for anyone to try and do anything. Please do not get my intentions wrong.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:29:04 AM by silhouette »

Get the strap

« Reply #783 on: January 11, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
any update on jesse? i heard they were holding him on a no bail bond.  i thought he was supposed to be arrainged at the beggining of January?
[close]

next court date is this friday at 9:00 a.m.

anyone living in the bay area wanna be the slap correspondent? jenkem sent a crew to pa to cover bam's house party. if you're a freelancer in sf, maybe you can get them to pick up your story?

http://apps.sfgov.org/InmateInfo/

[close]

So what's the verdict? His trial started almost 2 hours ago.
[close]

I went. It was really really short. Like 10 minutes. It was pretty much just his lawyer talking about arranging a discovery on the 17th of this month.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/law_related_education_network/how_courts_work/discovery/

Ah ok, thanks for the update.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #784 on: January 11, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »
will this really make it to trial? wont there most likely be a plea deal?

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #785 on: January 11, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The guys' respective deals do not directly link their sponsors to the event in my opinion, plus I'm not sure they would ever want to be, and if any of them ever begs to differ then they better quickly feel concerned about the instantaneous backlash they would get if they ever tried getting in the way of Dan's cause. Profit over people is doomed to fail.

The lack of available information is what's been holding us back and why we haven't written anything, quite duly so. Just chiming in to state that 'skate media' cares about the issue more than what I see people assuming, it's just that said issue is particularly delicate.

We're probably just going to post the GoFundMe.
[close]

If you are indeed writing about this then it is up to you to properly report on the subject at hand with proper journalist standards. That's going to take some actual reporting and interviewing of subjects related to the case that are less than inclined to give an interview regarding such a touchy subject. Being a skater and residing in the bay area will give you a huge leg up against traditional media with regards to getting proper sources and getting pertinent information that has not been previously reported on.

If you are afraid of potential confrontation associated to this story then just stick to hero worship and puff pieces of which almost all skate writers already write about.
[close]

Again and for the last time as people have also been PM'ing me about this (which I can understand as those are healthy concerns), we are not writing anything about the issue for we are well aware of our limitations (geographical, even). My original post really only meant to convey that 'skate media' actually gave a shit about this and that in a situation as serious as this one, advertisers shouldn't be a problem (unless you're Thrasher), as to cut the conspiracy theories I was seeing emerge; everybody is only being reasonable by not re-appropriating the case as one more opportunity to talk out of their asses, throw random names under the bus, pass online hearsay as facts and just generally not being pieces of shit. And again, if anything the GoFundMe really is the only thing that's useful to share.

I'm just confused as to what type of reaction some people are expecting from 'skate media' really. No one with proper education should need to go through paragraphs in order to understand that violence is bad. The real problem here is how entities such as Thrasher have been brandishing the polar opposite banner for decades now, glorifying being the caricature of an asshole to try to win the vulnerable, gullible youth's wallets over the disguise of a 'punk' edge when really, for at least a decade now they've been working hand in hand with the biggest and most disconnected brands in the world. Their model is outdated as fuck and this instance only proves it.

Great points. I think people are finally starting to learn about the situation from the latest nine club episode, but it took Slap to get this story known. Slap is pretty much the only place that is actively discussing this extensively. I think the frustration is coming from the fact that if anyone dares go against the Thrasher machine they have the potential to be blacklisted from the industry as Thrasher has already done to countless skaters, filmers, photographers, and writers in the past. And I think it's bullshit that we have given Thrasher so much power to make or break people within the industry. There are obvious power imbalances in play that needs to be challenged.

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
« Reply #786 on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
No one with proper educationdecent human should need to go through paragraphs in order to understand that violence is bad.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #787 on: January 11, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
God bless that security guards heart.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #788 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
will this really make it to trial? wont there most likely be a plea deal?

You don't have to take a plea if it is offered. Generally it is presented as copping to lesser charges and a lesser sentence - going with the devil you know. If one goes forward with a trial, sure, you might walk away free but you may also end up serving 25 years instead of 15 (pulling random numbers out of my ass I have no idea what dude is looking at).
This can also be done when either side is looking to avoid a long/costly trial. Lawyers are not cheap and I don't believe Pizza/Converse/Thrasher/etc are going to front Vieria's fees. He might plea out, but if he/his lawyer is so confident that the other video (99.99% coming from Gershall's camera) is going to exonerate him/his client, I'm not so sure he's planning on pleading down.
That said, a case from ~2 years ago that can be found in another thread just recently reached a verdict and I can't see this going on that long.

The only thing I heard Jansen’s lawyer say was ‘this is a serious assault incident and we have multiple videos of it.’

Two is multiple. Security camera and the supposed GX footage - which may or may not show anything supporting or damning. There's been a few times I've been in altercations with security/crackheads/etc when I was younger and dumber than I am now, and sometimes, I've flinched and hit the record button (GL2) or in the heat of the moment, filmed everything only at knee level. It's one thing to follow film really close when you know the skater's probable route or to film fisheye at the bottom of your local 10 in a relatively safe spot, but when shit escalates, especially for a crew known to fake such interactions at least once... who's to say GX even filmed anything that was useful (read: damning/exonerating) ?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #789 on: January 11, 2019, 01:25:42 PM »

r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
« Reply #790 on: January 11, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote
No one with proper educationdecent human should need to go through paragraphs in order to understand that violence is bad.
[close]

on the other hand, no one with much experience of skateboarding or even spending time on the streets in an urban environment can fail to understand that avoiding violence isn't always easy, a choice, or in some cases even possible.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #791 on: January 11, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

on the other hand, no one with much experience of skateboarding or even spending time on the streets in an urban environment can fail to understand that avoiding violence isn't always easy, a choice, or in some cases even possible.
Except, in this case, it pretty easily was.

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #792 on: January 11, 2019, 03:10:23 PM »
Hate to agree with Steezus Christ but he said 'you never know if it's self defense or 'it can be instinctual to use a board as weapon if it's already in your hand.'
It's just a freak accident. Remember that disturbing footage of a troublemaker pushing people off his skateboard and then jumping on a girl's car? Her bf steps to him and he hits the bf with the trucks 2 or 3 times. Was kind of a popularly shared video at one point. That guy walked away [albeit on wobbly doe legs] so it's not unreasonable to have expected Dan Jensen to get up afterwards. I'm keeping my damn hands to myself after this one.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
« Reply #793 on: January 11, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Nothing I've seen or heard so far as suggested to me that Jesse was an angry person looking to hurt someone, which doesn't mean he is innocent, but people on here are calling for his head like he dismembered a hitchhiker. The post I responded to suggests people involved in violence aren't "decent," and I think that's overly simplistic. Jesse's probably as "decent" as most of us, people accusing him and the rest of mob mentality should take a look at themselves.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #794 on: January 11, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Nothing I've seen or heard so far as suggested to me that Jesse was an angry person looking to hurt someone, which doesn't mean he is innocent, but people on here are calling for his head like he dismembered a hitchhiker. The post I responded to suggests people involved in violence aren't "decent," and I think that's overly simplistic. Jesse's probably as "decent" as most of us, people accusing him and the rest of mob mentality should take a look at themselves.

Jesse had ample time to leave the situation before it evolved into what it became. That isn't some quick thing that became unavoidable. How long do you think Dan was out there asking them to leave, and putting up barricades. That is a completely avoidable situation. The only person this wasn't really avoidable for was Dan who was doing his job, and it appears that the biggest transgression was trying to confiscate a skateboard after people stayed skating and moving the barricades.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:48:46 PM by DannyDee »

Donald Rump

« Reply #795 on: January 11, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
My two favourite lines ever are Gino in trilogy and Julien Stranger in skypager both at black rock. What is done is unfortunately done but this spot will always remind me of how shit people can act. I'm sure the involved skaters will always regret over reacting so badly just to get a clip. They have ruined someone's life and effected this man's family and friends for ever.. get well Dan.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #796 on: January 11, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #797 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Jesse had ample time to leave the situation before it evolved into what it became. That isn't some quick thing that became unavoidable. How long do you think Dan was out there asking them to leave, and putting up barricades. That is a completely avoidable situation. The only person this wasn't really avoidable for was Dan who was doing his job, and it appears that the biggest transgression was trying to confiscate a skateboard after people stayed skating and moving the barricades.

Are you fucking serious? This right here is the problem with how people are viewing this. What happened to this dude is a tragedy, and everything would be better if they had left the first time he asked. No question.

But to say it was unavoidable for him is asinine. He could have realized there were 8 unpredictable young men. He could have called the police and watched. He could have have kept fucking with barriers and called the police. He could have done 1000 other things than grab a board and begin actual aggression. He could have taken that first push, called the cops, and kept his distance. He could have not gotten up and started swinging at the first person he saw (if we're going to belive that's how it went down).

I'm not at all saying he brought this awful fate on himself, and not at all saying he caused the horrible chain of events, but getting physical with 8 guys in any way (even just grabbing a board) wass 100% avoidable.

Every single person in the situation, Dan included, could have made decisions to avoid the outcome they wound up with.

plod

« Reply #798 on: January 12, 2019, 03:11:30 AM »
The guy Jesse clearly runs up and punches him hard in the head  while he is down. It looks to me like DeLa is standing back looking shook at this point. It looks like he did nothing negative besides skating. That was a brutal and  unnecessary punch. There was no situation other then the crew were being assholes.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #799 on: January 12, 2019, 03:59:19 AM »
who said it's jesse who hit the guard when he's down ?

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #800 on: January 12, 2019, 04:36:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Are you fucking serious? This right here is the problem with how people are viewing this. What happened to this dude is a tragedy, and everything would be better if they had left the first time he asked. No question.

But to say it was unavoidable for him is asinine. He could have realized there were 8 unpredictable young men. He could have called the police and watched. He could have have kept fucking with barriers and called the police. He could have done 1000 other things than grab a board and begin actual aggression. He could have taken that first push, called the cops, and kept his distance. He could have not gotten up and started swinging at the first person he saw (if we're going to belive that's how it went down).

I'm not at all saying he brought this awful fate on himself, and not at all saying he caused the horrible chain of events, but getting physical with 8 guys in any way (even just grabbing a board) wass 100% avoidable.

Every single person in the situation, Dan included, could have made decisions to avoid the outcome they wound up with.

What the fuck does "8 unpredictable young men" even mean, you're talking about people here, not wild animals, should every young guy be treated with caution?

The dude was doing his job, grabbing for a board after how the skaters were acting was completely legitimate, throwing a punch back while fully grown men are swarming around you to lay a hit sounds completely normal.

This thread is basically the reverse of people defending police brutality, violence is violence no matter who's conducting it, and I honestly don't see how snatching a board even remotely justifies being punched or trucksmashed in the head.

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #801 on: January 12, 2019, 06:21:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

What the fuck does "8 unpredictable young men" even mean, you're talking about people here, not wild animals, should every young guy be treated with caution?

The dude was doing his job, grabbing for a board after how the skaters were acting was completely legitimate, throwing a punch back while fully grown men are swarming around you to lay a hit sounds completely normal.

This thread is basically the reverse of people defending police brutality, violence is violence no matter who's conducting it, and I honestly don't see how snatching a board even remotely justifies being punched or trucksmashed in the head.

I mean, I can break it down I guess, but it's a pretty cut and dry statement with no metaphor or anything. Yes, groups of young men who clearly have a goal contrary to what you want should most definitely be treated with caution. People are unpredictable. Younger men tend to be more rash than adults, and situations like this aren't worth risking any form of aggression over. That's what the cops are for. If they were showing noncompliance to his demands already (which they were) the safe bet in my eyes is that trying take their property is only going to escalate the situation. You think Dan would have gotten fired if, after he tried putting the gates up and telling them to leave, he called the cops instead of trying to confiscate a board? Absolutely fucking not. He had been doing his job, and took it to an unnecessary level that put him at much greater personal risk.

I'm not justifying their response to him grabbing the board, simply responding to the previous assertation that for Dan, because he was doing his job, the whole situation was unavoidable. That's total horse shit.

They were definitely more wrong. A $150 toy that they paid likely nothing for (or at least far less) isn't worth a physical altercation. But just because they're wrong, it doesn't make him right. What did he expect to happen? Was he going to take every board? Was he hoping that stealing, I'm sorry, "confiscating", one would send everyone scattering with boards clutched, trying to protect theirs? It was a stupid move when far safer options were available.

That board wasn't worth assaulting someone. Grabbing that board, to protect that ledge, wasn't worth risking a physical altercation, especially when he's outnumbered 8 to 1. Dan doesn't deserve this fate, but that doesn't mean he had no hand in how it came to be. Bad decisions were made by everyone.

Dernpop1

« Reply #802 on: January 12, 2019, 06:25:43 AM »
How did they pinpoint jesse? Somebody snitch on him?

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #803 on: January 12, 2019, 06:40:41 AM »
Not that it matters at all, but I thought I saw the board pop out and hit his leg right before he grabbed it. Doesn't matter either way.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #804 on: January 12, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
How did they pinpoint jesse? Somebody snitch on him?

it's not clear (but maybe security footage made it obvious, or he just realized he fucked upand went to police, which is way better than hiding himself)
and it's still weird that he's the only one charged here

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #805 on: January 12, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »
If Jesse is the one who punched him when he's down then video exonerates him. After that debacle, security gets up and returns to the fray and is knocked out by someone else. His lawyer said security hit Jesse mistakenly and got hit in response so I'm guessing that it is someone else who had the original interaction/punch on the ground.
The bad news is the punch on the ground, however cruel or unnecessary, was not the knockout.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #806 on: January 12, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »
From the video, it doesn't even look like Dan picked that board up with particularly bad intent either. Obviously the dudes had been fucking around with him and the barriers for a while, and one of them is definitely trying to skate the barrier he's moving as he's moving it, that's where he fucks up, his board shoots out next to Dan and he picks it up because what else is he going to do? Definitely doesn't warrant what ensued. Such an embarrassment.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #807 on: January 12, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
Definitely doesn't warrant what ensued. Such an embarrassment.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #808 on: January 12, 2019, 11:16:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Definitely doesn't warrant what ensued. Such an embarrassment.
[close]

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #809 on: January 12, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »
What footage of it has come out so far? Just those clips on that newscast?