Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 376253 times)

Merlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -52
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1440 on: May 01, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »
Unfortunately it happened in California and not Florida, he’s probably fucked.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #1441 on: May 01, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
A lot has gone down in SF recently so it looks like I, and probably other pals, are out of free looks at the Chronicle. Can anyone tell us what happened in the case? I'm guessing it's on to the sentencing phase but I hate guessing.
[close]

i was out of free looks as well, but was able to access the article by clicking through the link on the author’s twitter account

https://twitter.com/EvanSernoffsky/status/1123747131414798339?s=20

Vicious assault or self-defense? San Francisco jury to decide skateboarder’s fate

Jesse Vieira either callously smashed a security guard in the head with his skateboard and fists, leaving the man with a fractured skull and severe brain injury, or he was defending himself when the guard charged at him in a clash last year in San Francisco’s Financial District.

Attorneys in the case sparred over what the multiple videos of the encounter showed in the two-week trial that came to a close on Wednesday, leaving the San Francisco Superior Court jury to deliberate the fate of the 24-year-old defendant.

Vieira — a star skateboarder originally from Stockton — is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, assault with force likely to commit great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury in the Nov. 25 run-in that left Dan Jansen, 57, with a crater in his head that will forever impede his basic functioning.

The altercation happened as Jansen set up barricades around 555 California Street, a plaza at the foot of the 52-story skyscraper that once housed Bank of America’s headquarters. The place is known to skaters as Black Rock. Vieira and six other men were skateboarding at the plaza that day, some moving the metal barriers, before things escalated and ended with Jansen striking the back of his head on the hard granite paving.

Assistant District Attorney Blair Pickus compared the skateboarders to “a swarm of bees or a pack of wolves” who, he said, instigated things. Jansen was shoved to the ground by another skater moments before Vieira hurled Jansen’s radio at him, prosecutors said.

The security guard then got up and moved toward Vieira, who landed the devastating blows and left Jansen unconscious, prosecutors said. The seven men then took off.

“Entitled, self-important, disrespectful,” Pickus said in his closing argument. “Putting his own personal gain above the safety and well-being of Dan Jansen. That was the defendant Jesse Vieira. When literally push came to shove, it was the defendant who turned to his old trusty skateboard to get out of the situation.”

Vieira’s attorney, Doug Rappaport, argued that his client hit Jansen only after the security guard charged him. Rappaport played a video recorded by one of the young men in the group that he said shows Jansen striking Vieira first.

“Dan Jansen lost his cool that day,” Rappaport said in his closing. “He saw red and he went after the smallest guy in the group. He was pissed, adrenaline was flowing through his body. He clocked him good, and we have it on video.”

What’s more, Vieira was simply spiking Jansen’s radio on the ground, not throwing it at him, Rappaport said. And before Jansen got up, Vieira was walking away, he said.

“He’s not an angel, but that doesn’t mean he’s committed a crime,” Rappaport said, adding that his client had no criminal record.

Police arrested Vieira after executing a search warrant at his home on Dec. 10. He sat quietly in court Wednesday, wearing a dark blue sweater and collared shirt.

The case has drawn wide attention in the skateboarding community in the Bay Area and beyond. Vieira is a member of the well-known GX1000 crew that gained fame for its daring hill bombs and breathtaking tricks on the streets of San Francisco. He’s listed as a team member for Pizza skateboard company and was featured on the August cover of Thrasher magazine, grinding down a staircase railing at the Powell BART Station.

Around 30 fellow skateboarders and friends have packed the courtroom gallery every day of the trial and each previous court hearing, while Vieira remains in custody in San Francisco Jail. Vieira’s supporters declined to speak with The Chronicle after court.

Last week, fellow GX1000 crew member Pablo Ramirez, known as Pspliff to his friends and on social media, was struck and killed while hanging onto a dump truck — “skitching” as it’s called — after leaving the trial for the afternoon recess on April 23. His death devastated the group, who cried and embraced each other as they learned of the tragedy and gathered at the scene four blocks from the courthouse.

Vieira’s friends this week watched intently as attorneys laid out their arguments in the case. Most of the evidence came in the form of four videos that showed different angles of the run-in — including the key video shot by the skateboarder. The attorneys also played police body-camera footage and 911 calls, and called various witnesses before questioning Vieira himself on the witness stand.

As the case has progressed in court, Jansen has been going through a slow and agonizing recovery. Doctors put him into a medically induced coma after he suffered a spiderweb-type fracture in the back of his skull and bleeding in the brain.

Surgeons removed part of his skull and frontal lobe in order to cauterize a wound in his brain and save his life. He’s since undergone two more brain surgeries and after recovering slightly, he’s begun to regress, his niece, Amanda Jansen, said.

Dan Jansen still can’t walk and is just starting to recognize some family members who visit him at an assisted living facility where he has live-in care. A former soldier in the Army and avid fisherman, Jansen faces a long road ahead. It’s not clear if he will be able to care for himself ever again, his family said.

“The impact of this is devastating,” Amanda Jansen said. “It’s really hard. My uncle’s life as he knew it is over.”

Evan Sernoffsky is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: [email protected] Twitter: @EvanSernoffsky

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1442 on: May 01, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
this dudes on pizza?
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1443 on: May 01, 2019, 08:40:41 PM »
The article says 4 different videos were shown. I bet they got ahold of ryan g's footage.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1444 on: May 01, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »
I don’t know much about juries (I did see twelve angry men as someone mentioned) but I don’t know that them thinking of you as a 20 something skateboarder works in your favor on average, let alone that being a major part of the circumstance you are there on trial.  Gotta think he’s going away for some time.

Trickflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #1445 on: May 01, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
The article says 4 different videos were shown. I bet they got ahold of ryan g's footage.
And 2 other phone angles? Either that or maybe Otto filmed it too

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1446 on: May 01, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

in one of the first news clips, they talk about having HD footage, might be his.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Pinballer

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1447 on: May 02, 2019, 12:18:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

in one of the first news clips, they talk about having HD footage, might be his.

Can confirm that it’s ryan g’s footage, heard it in passing at the top of twin peaks today.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #1448 on: May 02, 2019, 04:19:55 AM »
Can't imagine the jury's decision to favor Jesse in any way. The way they're gonna view it is that the skaters were being assholes, kept instigating the situation and when the security guard finally lost his cool they answered with full force while having a significant physical advantage in the first place. It's far from self defense. Should've just given up on the spot and leave at that point. To the general public, this type of behavior would be somewhat understandable from a group of 14yr olds, not grown men in their mid 20s.

Sucks for Jesse because I doubt that he's a bad person, but imo if you knowingly put yourself in that situation over and over again, it's your responsibility to make the right move when things start to escalate out of control

Ocelot

« Reply #1449 on: May 02, 2019, 04:27:05 AM »
Can someone post a link to the footage of the attack? Can't find the original clip anywhere anymore

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #1450 on: May 02, 2019, 04:42:46 AM »
Can't imagine the jury's decision to favor Jesse in any way. The way they're gonna view it is that the skaters were being assholes, kept instigating the situation and when the security guard finally lost his cool they answered with full force while having a significant physical advantage in the first place. It's far from self defense. Should've just given up on the spot and leave at that point. To the general public, this type of behavior would be somewhat understandable from a group of 14yr olds, not grown men in their mid 20s.

Sucks for Jesse because I doubt that he's a bad person, but imo if you knowingly put yourself in that situation over and over again, it's your responsibility to make the right move when things start to escalate out of control

Regardless of what happened, when the other person has half his head missing it will be viewed as excessive force, which most likely wasnt necessary. Was it sa fight to death? If yes, Jesse must have scars and bruises that will justify his act.

Since this has made the news, imagine some asshole pull a gun on you or even shoot at you because hes afraid to get his head bashed in. Dudes like dipshit Jesse are the reason why some people hate skaters.

Jails are full of idiots like him "i couldnt let it slide, he as disrespecting me etc" who are doing football numbers because their fake pride got in the way. Now hes in jail around real tough guys. Oh the irony.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:47:07 AM by papo »

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #1451 on: May 02, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »
Next court date is Monday the sixth now. So did they find him guilty, and it's sentencing Monday, or does the jury know they aren't arriving at an agreed verdict anytime soon?   

femdom perignon

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1452 on: May 02, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
Next court date is Monday the sixth now. So did they find him guilty, and it's sentencing Monday, or does the jury know they aren't arriving at an agreed verdict anytime soon?
maybe the judge is off tomorrow. if sentencing were to be postponed it would be longer than a wknd.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1453 on: May 03, 2019, 04:57:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Regardless of what happened, when the other person has half his head missing it will be viewed as excessive force, which most likely wasnt necessary. Was it sa fight to death? If yes, Jesse must have scars and bruises that will justify his act.

Since this has made the news, imagine some asshole pull a gun on you or even shoot at you because hes afraid to get his head bashed in. Dudes like dipshit Jesse are the reason why some people hate skaters.

Jails are full of idiots like him "i couldnt let it slide, he as disrespecting me etc" who are doing football numbers because their fake pride got in the way. Now hes in jail around real tough guys. Oh the irony.

why a 2 week trial when papo has everything figured out ?

Christ Puncher

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1454 on: May 03, 2019, 05:16:41 AM »
Now hes in jail around real tough guys. Oh the irony.

That is ironic.
I would skate a Najaf board if it was a nice shoe and my size.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #1455 on: May 03, 2019, 05:33:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fan-made American Crime Story episodes are the next fantasy skateboarding.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 747
« Reply #1456 on: May 05, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
anybody have an update?

Googan Christmas

« Reply #1457 on: May 05, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
anybody have an update?

Think they said back on tomorrow, some people think we might see a verdict then.?

euro tm

« Reply #1458 on: May 05, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »
Expand Quote
anybody have an update?
[close]

Think they said back on tomorrow, some people think we might see a verdict then.?

yes tomorrow there will be a final verdict

all your pockets now

« Reply #1459 on: May 05, 2019, 09:08:13 PM »

papo

« Reply #1460 on: May 05, 2019, 10:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Don’t be a senseless idiot because you dont have any valid points to add. It’s assholes like him why people hate skateboarders. If he was attacked and fought for his life then ok, but there’s levels to this shit, especially when nearly killing someone.

But feel free and explain to me how Jesse is innocent 😂😂😂

Googan Christmas

« Reply #1461 on: May 06, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
Any news?

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #1462 on: May 06, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »
He got found guilty, sentenced to 8 years.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #1463 on: May 06, 2019, 12:42:39 PM »
Sad on all accounts. Good luck and head up bruh.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1464 on: May 06, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »
That's so heavy. I don't even really know what to say. I'm hoping for the best for everybody involved.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1465 on: May 06, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »
That's so heavy. I don't even really know what to say. I'm hoping for the best for everybody involved.

He’ll be out in four with good behavior. Honestly not too bad considering. Not long enough to completely ruin his life, but I imagine he won’t be skateboarding professionally.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1466 on: May 06, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »
That's what happens when you ride for Pizza

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

papo

« Reply #1467 on: May 06, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »

Holy shit, all things considered, he got off easy.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #1468 on: May 06, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit, all things considered, he got off easy.

I tried to make the argument CK1 got off easy with 4 years and everyone disagreed.

Getting in and driving a car drunk is more of a first degree act than using a board in a fight.

Guess that GX angle wasn't as exonerating as they thought.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #1469 on: May 06, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »

Source? I haven't seen any articles and the Dept. of Corrections isn't updated yet
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma