Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 74517 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #480 on: May 28, 2021, 08:19:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krux pins net so much more clearance...(Regular hollow hangers+stock tops before I sand them down+IKP plates).
[close]

Is it just me or does the bottom bushing look too big for the bottom washer?

Or is it not the usual bottom washer and one of those super fancy ones with the core or something?

Here's a shot with the Indy IKP and a top sleeved washer:

Just curious more than anything.
[close]

I think that's one of those flat machined ones Xen has posted about before.
[close]

Yeah that is what I was thinking as I started typing...

Funny though cause it looks too small, but most likely is just right.

[close]

It's that machined, flat, sleeved washer, from muir skate (longboards) and it fits perfectly.
[close]

I think you told me this before, but which Muir washer fits snuggly under the Indy bushing that way?

Bottom
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/9681/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washers

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54061/array-machined-cone-sleeved-washers

Set:
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #481 on: May 28, 2021, 08:22:27 PM »
So, should I get some mid Tiagos or some S11 Hollows?

What's more important to you? Height or weight?

Both? Get forged ti or hollow

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #482 on: May 28, 2021, 08:51:02 PM »
The clearance difference between the stock Indy IKP and the original Krux down low is crazy. I'd imagine the Kreper pin offers the same amount of clearance as the Krux?

TheCrimsonShroud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #483 on: May 28, 2021, 09:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote
So, should I get some mid Tiagos or some S11 Hollows?
[close]

What's more important to you? Height or weight?

Both? Get forged ti or hollow
If I’m not mistaken the hollows are a little taller at 53.5mm, but will be lighter. I have a set of Venture OG Highs now that are the same height. I’m still adjusting (I’ve usually ridden 52 or lower) but I do dig not having wheel bite.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #484 on: May 28, 2021, 10:26:33 PM »
The clearance difference between the stock Indy IKP and the original Krux down low is crazy. I'd imagine the Kreper pin offers the same amount of clearance as the Krux?

I’ve been skating some very well worn Ace trucks with the Krux kingpin, and the kingpin itself has barely a scratch on it. When these are too worn to skate, I imagine it will be easily removed and swapped on to the new trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #485 on: May 29, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »

Yup. Indy fucked up with the mid/IKP implementation....next to no improvements in terms of grind clearance compared to stock regular kingpins so much so that they added material to the hanger to give it more clearance but also adding 10g in overall weight....

They should have ripped the kreper, GK, gullwing style...or shipped them with krux pins...has to be a cost to design issue.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #486 on: May 30, 2021, 10:27:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe a dumb question, but is axle slip even a thing anymore?
[close]

I haven't seen any in a long time, even when people think they have it, when checking it was more commonly the bearing moving in the wheel.

Not to say that it is not happening, but I think the only issue I have seen is the breaking hanger pivot nub more than anything else in the last five or more years.

One of my stage 11 highs has some very bad axle slip going on. Tapping it with a hammer sorted it, though it's immediately started drifting away again.

They're very well used, so no hard feelings and I've ordered another pair.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2021, 09:24:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krux pins net so much more clearance...(Regular hollow hangers+stock tops before I sand them down+IKP plates).
[close]

Or is it not the usual bottom washer and one of those super fancy ones with the core or something?

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's that machined, flat, sleeved washer, from muir skate (longboards) and it fits perfectly.
[close]

I think you told me this before, but which Muir washer fits snuggly under the Indy bushing that way?
[close]

Bottom
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/9681/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washers

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54061/array-machined-cone-sleeved-washers

Set:
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

What’s the advantage of these washers vs stock?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #488 on: June 01, 2021, 10:30:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bottom

Set:
[close]

What’s the advantage of these washers vs stock?

From the links provided above:

DESCRIPTION
The Array washers are some of the raddest innovations we've seen come from of the longboarding industry as of late. These 303 machined stainless steel washers that sit on the barrel bushings of your choice and stays right where it's meant to be while keeping the bushing engaged and running at it's full, responsive potential. "Normal" flat and cupped washers move back and forth against the kingpin when you're turning hard, pumping and putting force on the trucks. Over time this can cause problems (such as broken kingpins) if you're not careful. Array machined washer sit snug against the kingpin and ensures the truck moves as one system, not a bunch of pieces of metal and urethane moving against one another.

TL;DR

They act like Bones Bushings, also flat washers allow for more bushing deformity .

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #489 on: June 01, 2021, 09:19:16 PM »
These trucks are cool but they need some proper bushings for the 52mm height but stage 11esque geo, also I’m sure since Indy are made in China they made some deal with royal cause as the truck master I have a set of the royal with the inverted pin and they suspiciously look very very similar to the Indy ones

Almost exactly the same pins

And both have the same baseplate design with the nut locked in place

Idk guys

Truck gate all over again
yes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #490 on: June 15, 2021, 07:07:33 PM »
I know this has already been explored and maybe tested to death, but I had a play with some IKP baseplates, more just for show and tell, but this is what I did yesterday, when they got here.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/independent-ikp-baseplate-set

Independent Inverted Kingpin Baseplate set, or IKP for short

OCD Skateshop had 20% off trucks and wheels including these new Indy baseplate sets, so I got some as people had been asking about them. I also got some new Indy trucks and after they arrived today, I did a little swap and measure of the normal standard 149 trucks with the inverted kingpin baseplates, as per pictures provided, along with my personal preference set aside for this experiment (as I prefer normal standard kingpin assemblies to IKP versions).

The first thing I noticed was the inverted kingpin itself doesn't have a particularly long thread, so I tightened these down as far as they would go, which wasn't that much with the truck still feeling fairly loose overall. They sit a few mm below the standard kingpin at that height, but apart from that they are almost the same in terms of the baseplates, with maybe a slightly different angle of the kingpin to the normal ones, but it was minimal. The IKP has a special nut that sits inside the baseplate, so there is no way you will be taking these out to change them over, but you can always use any other brand kingpin to put into them.

The other interesting thing was to see how much clearance there was on the IKP set compared to standards, as per the last pic showing the angle of them when sitting on the hanger and resting on the kingpin, with the IKP version definitely having a lower profile.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQItVoZAUsb/
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal

ish_wav

« Reply #492 on: June 18, 2021, 03:06:44 PM »

The first thing I noticed was the inverted kingpin itself doesn't have a particularly long thread, so I tightened these down as far as they would go, which wasn't that much with the truck still feeling fairly loose overall.

Does anyone know What can I use to thread the kingpin a little further so I can actually tighten these things? i have that ace kingpin rethreader? Would that work?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #493 on: June 18, 2021, 04:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote

The first thing I noticed was the inverted kingpin itself doesn't have a particularly long thread, so I tightened these down as far as they would go, which wasn't that much with the truck still feeling fairly loose overall.

[close]

Does anyone know What can I use to thread the kingpin a little further so I can actually tighten these things? i have that ace kingpin rethreader? Would that work?
It won't, is made for rethreading axles which are not the same size as kingpins (right?)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #494 on: June 18, 2021, 04:14:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
It won't, is made for rethreading axles which are not the same size as kingpins (right?)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a KINGPIN rethreader will work on kingpins.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2021, 04:30:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a KINGPIN rethreader will work on kingpins.
My bad, I thought the ace tool only had an axle rethreaded.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2021, 04:40:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Ace AF1 trucks come with the little red axle rethreader.

Ace aftermarket kit comes with the red (axle) and blue (kingpin) rethreaders on a carabiner, as well as the same two rethreaders built in to a standard shaped skate tool.

The thing is though, they might not be strong enough to do more than just rethread some slightly beat up thread ends, so an industrial strength rethreader die might be needed to do fresh threads / more on an inverted kingpin.

I think the best solution as others have done is get an inverted kingpin with longer thread if that doesn't go down far enough.

Might cost more, but at least it will cost less than blowing out a kingpin and a rethreader.

ish_wav

« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2021, 05:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Ace AF1 trucks come with the little red axle rethreader.

Ace aftermarket kit comes with the red (axle) and blue (kingpin) rethreaders on a carabiner, as well as the same two rethreaders built in to a standard shaped skate tool.

The thing is though, they might not be strong enough to do more than just rethread some slightly beat up thread ends, so an industrial strength rethreader die might be needed to do fresh threads / more on an inverted kingpin.

I think the best solution as others have done is get an inverted kingpin with longer thread if that doesn't go down far enough.

Might cost more, but at least it will cost less than blowing out a kingpin and a rethreader.

I’m gonna get cheapy dies at harbor freight and see if that works. I don’t really want to trash my ace dies.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #498 on: June 18, 2021, 05:22:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Or get low top bushings/shave down the tops.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: June 18, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Or get low top bushings/shave down the tops.

It is the opposite, as in same as I felt, so I need to get the kingpin down into the baseplate further than the stock Indy IKP will go, so cutting bushings down only loosen them up, not get the kingpin lower.  If I used my lower bushings, the kingpin head would still sit up too high, only making the trucks even looser than needed.

Maybe you had said (or someone else) to use other brand IKP that have longer threads on them, which I have seen and would definitely work, maybe Krux down low or other brand.

The old generic / unknown brand inverted kingpin that I have floating around definitely gets things much lower into the baseplate without going too low, so about another 5 mm of thread on that kingpin would be perfect without it going too far in and digging into the wood of the deck.

Sorry not trying to be Mr know it all, just trying to explain.

:)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #500 on: June 18, 2021, 06:55:52 PM »
The Kreper pins are threaded a lot further up if you don't mind the built in top washer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: June 18, 2021, 07:05:03 PM »
This is a Film kingpin, with twice as much thread

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: June 19, 2021, 09:50:28 AM »
A lower top busing will allow more thread into the plate, because it’s lower…yes, it will be looser.

Imagine not using a top bushing, you’d be able to screw it down all the way to the hanger and probably touch the deck with the pin. No, this is not ideal.

I’m riding krux pins in my Indy mid plates (and in tensor ATGs), krux pins, being ‘downlows’ are short pins….that’s why they are lows and have less threading.

I shaved down my stock Indy top bushings.
I can get more clearance with lower tops.

If I wanted more threads into the nut & tighter trucks I’d ride harder bushings and shave down the hardest top bushings I could find to compensate.

Smoothbrain1

• Rep: -7
« Reply #503 on: June 19, 2021, 09:22:26 PM »
Okay so I’m sure this has been asked already a few times sorry guys,

But ive ground down to axel on my mids hangar and I want to replace it with another Indy hangar. Will the throwing the hollow hangar on the mid base plate fuck up the geometry at all?

Or should I get another mid hangar? Which hangar should I get boys?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: June 20, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »

But ive ground down to axel on my mids hangar and I want to replace it with another Indy hangar. Will the throwing the hollow hangar on the mid base plate fuck up the geometry at all?

I haven't skated mids, but I have heard they turn the same as standards, and I have a lot of those, along with hollow forged, ti, etc.

They still work and turn the same way standard trucks do with standard hangers, the only difference being the height of the hanger, so you will be a few more mm off the ground.

If you have any old hangers, just put them on and feel them out to check first, otherwise you would need to buy more trucks anyway.

Funny that I used to have way too many hangers sitting around from all the broken Indy baseplates, but now it seems to be the other way round, since things changed from Stage 9 issues to solid baseplates on 10 or 11s.  People go through hangers, often skating them til they break, then leaving spare baseplates.

Others have even asked if anywhere sells just hangers, but as yet, that would be a no.  It would be rad if they did sell them on their own though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #505 on: June 20, 2021, 11:57:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't skated mids, but I have heard they turn the same as standards, and I have a lot of those, along with hollow forged, ti, etc.

They still work and turn the same way standard trucks do with standard hangers, the only difference being the height of the hanger, so you will be a few more mm off the ground.

If you have any old hangers, just put them on and feel them out to check first, otherwise you would need to buy more trucks anyway.

Funny that I used to have way too many hangers sitting around from all the broken Indy baseplates, but now it seems to be the other way round, since things changed from Stage 9 issues to solid baseplates on 10 or 11s.  People go through hangers, often skating them til they break, then leaving spare baseplates.

Others have even asked if anywhere sells just hangers, but as yet, that would be a no.  It would be rad if they did sell them on their own though.

215s and Mids are not listed as Stage XI geo, but 'classic' Indy Geo, whatever that means...to me it means, the geo is different somehow but not enough to warrant a new stage.

The only thing different is the mid hanger (supposedly) which is why you can pick up the new plates and slap your old hollow/ti hangers on them.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #506 on: June 20, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »
You convinced me @Xen

My login at Muirskate wasn't working and they were out of the combo packs so I went direct to Array's online store
https://array-products.com/

It's my father's day gift to myself.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: June 20, 2021, 06:32:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

215s and Mids are not listed as Stage XI geo, but 'classic' Indy Geo, whatever that means...to me it means, the geo is different somehow but not enough to warrant a new stage.

The only thing different is the mid hanger (supposedly) which is why you can pick up the new plates and slap your old hollow/ti hangers on them.

It is a curious one - classic being the word.

Didn't they redo the previous two stages (9 and 10) now Stage 11 to be more like the old (classic??) turn now?

I know I get back on older Indy trucks and they definitely don't quite do what the Stage 11s do for how I am used to them, but they are not the old old versions, just the stage 5 and up, the one exception being the wider trucks which have a better turn than the more narrow trucks on boards I have - but I don't have any 215s to compare them to either.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #508 on: June 20, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
215s and 109s have Stage 3 or 4 geometry, I think I read somewhere. I have some Stage 11 109s and Stage 3 131s and the turn is comparable.

ish_wav

« Reply #509 on: June 29, 2021, 05:58:18 AM »
If anyone is wanted just the Hex button style inverted kingpins, skate warehouse and several other retailers are now selling them solo. Just be aware that the thread on them is very shallow so they’re not for tight trucks or big boys.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Krux_DLK_K5_Kingpin_Set/descpage-KXDLK5KP.html