Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46734 times)

S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I spent 4 + years in canada where i was drinking quite alot every weekend, ever since i got back to Australia ive chilled on it a bit, its nice to recharge a bit, wake up fresh without hangovers on weekend
[close]

That's crazy! 4 years in Canada and you only drank on weekends, good for you!

Its completely normal in Canada to drink every day, and not small amounts either.

If you drink 24 cans of beer a day that's considered pretty normal.

Anyhow, I quit drinking about 2-3 years ago. I'm happy I did for many reasons. As you get older it's just not worth it.

I've had a beer now and again but I cant even finish one without thinking it's not that good anymore and I just dont finish it.
[close]

Hahah id drink the occasional weekday as a good little tourist does but yeah pretty common in Australia for people to drink every day....My buddys uncle in vancouver use to crush cases of kokanee on a daily basis
[close]

Same here in Germany. Pretty common to see someone with a beer at all hours of the day - even on the morning commute at 9am.

I'm curious though, for anyone who was only ever drinking a 1-2 beers each day then quit or cut back did you notice a big difference in how you felt health/energy/focus wise? I have a friend who's taken month long breaks but he's someone who, when he drinks, doesn't stop. He says he feels a bigger difference when he takes a month long hiatus from caffeine.

Yo, I am German too. I get into phases when I will have one to two beers every day. Usually that happens when I am frustrated with work or the wintertime and having a beer at night feels like a real treat.  Physically it does not make much of a difference if I have them or not. I don't think it affects my recovery or inflamation at all. It does influence my mood a bit, though. If I stop having that beer at night I feel a bit nervous and angry in the following evenings. I might also find it a bit more difficult to fall asleep. Also I feel I have a little bit more energy if I did not have that beer the night before. During the weeks of my daily beer routine I will also drink a bit more coffee.

If I drink more than two beers I definitely notice it the next day. My knees and ancles will feel like shit. I will get mood swings from anger to depression and recovering from a skate session will take forever. I think feeling the negative effects of alcohol so directly has prevented me from drinking becoming more of a problem. I do get moderately drunk once a week I guess, but I see that I have the following day off and that I take walk or some shit to not get too angry and depressed. I have stopped trying to skate hungover so if I plan to skate the next day I do not drink more than one or two beers.

I fucking love beer and if I knew that I would feel OK the next day I would want to drink it constantly. I like it so much I even drink non-alcoholic beer.

Assmountain

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2019, 06:56:24 AM »
I'm currently drinking a 3L bottle of port wine. Let that be a lesson to you all.

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
First post, as this one definitely grabbed my attention. I am a alcoholic. Heavy duty drinker. By the bottle and by the case. I've stopped drinking for a month here and there in the past. But now at 29 I am a year and some odd months sober from booze.

I always look back and miss the days of having absolutely zero regard for myself of others as if you don't care about anything, nothing can ever upset you, right? Wrong.

This was my first year back really skating in over 10 years. I would have never imagined I would be doing and enjoying skateboarding so much.

Overall, this past 12 plus months have been the most, rewarding and down right fun times I've had in my life.

If you're trying to decide if you want to stop or slow down on the drinking, you have already recognized a problem and sobriety is definitely a nice option!

Cheers! Uh, I mean, bye.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:59:40 PM by UPPERCASEnocap »

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2019, 02:57:56 PM »
I think I've posted about it before, but I'm almost two years totally sober. Last drink was in October 2017.

I mean, I never really had a full-blown problem, but I drank regularly since I was 17. I mainly stopped because I got married and my wife is religious and has never done drugs or drank. She jokes about drinking wine but I don't want to even hear about it.

Also - for me, putting aside the religious/cultural points, drinking stressed me out. I got overly concerned about its long-term effects to my equilibrium and memory, and it's also a stressor due to how it sucks up money. And I'm getting older and have never been really financially stable, so I just started to feel like a loser. The value of giving it up is more mentally, psychologically beneficial.

To be totally honest, when I'm really low and depressed I want to drink still. And it's still a struggle not to get some beer. I miss beer. I even miss the beer thread on Slap. But its arbitrary nature is easier to remember than before.

This is all 💯. Congratulations on the sobriety!

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
10 days in. We’ll see how this goes...

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 07:12:03 AM »

You're almost past the hardest part. All downhill from here!

Salsa Verde

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 07:17:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You're almost past the hardest part. All downhill from here!

Thank you. I appreciate that!

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »

yeah, congrats! keep it up!

i am at six months, at  the moment, very happy about that

PMA

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damnnn! 6 months? no looking back now! Congrats.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damnnn! 6 months? no looking back now! Congrats.

Not even a question about it. The only thing for me is to break a habit, so after like two months I don’t even think of having a beer. When someone offers one it feels weird, like why should I even consider. Same works for me with eating meat, drugs, etc. just need to build the mindset that it is something I don’t see myself doing and then it is not a difficult decision or temptation.

After loosing friends to drugs I was straight edge in my late teens and beyond for over six years. Then after changing my surroundings, slowly started having casual beers and weed and often got mad at myself for loosing that strength, somehow. I just always felt best sober. So I am really happy getting some authority over my actions back.

PMA

Salsa Verde

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2019, 07:48:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man, and congrats right back at ya with the 1/2 year!

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2019, 07:12:55 AM »
Really cool to see all the slappers that are trying to get and stay sober. Right now I have 9.5 months. Last day I used was Jan 10. I was using heroin and coke daily. Overdosed for the first time, wrecked my car and went into treatment. Was forced with that or my girl not letting me come home. Has been worth it and I feel great. I don't do any AA/NA but more CBT therapy and meds to manage my depression. Been skating a alot, rebuilding relationships with family and friends, and just started working again. Definitely was hard the first few months but now I'm proud I made the change.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »
i'm about 4 weeks in on this new moderation thing where i mostly drink on weekends and it's going really well. it's probably not for every one but here's some notes for anyone thinking about just moderating instead of completely quiting

- i don't really struggle with not having a drink mon-thurs anymore, took like 2 weeks but i actually really enjoy just relaxing at night now and find it a bit more relaxing to chill without a drink
- i've started looking forward to not drinking during the next week on the weekends. i enjoy having some drinks on weekend for sure but i find that the next day when i'm tired and have harder time getting up i start looking forward to the next week. i'm also starting to enjoy drinking a little less on the weekends. it's more like desert at this point. i like eating a desert when i'm in the mood but if i randomly just slay a huge piece of cake for no reason i'll probably not be into it, same thing with just pounding drinks for not good reason.
- officially i can drink sunday by my program but lately i've been skipping it mainly because i don't want to feel like shit monday and i'm usually feeling worn out from fri and sat festivities
- initial weight loss is gone. i went HAM one weekend where we went on a road trip to see tool and ended up bingeing on food and alcohol the whole weekend.

all in all super happy with the lifestyle change. treating drinking more like food and keeping it lean and clean during the week and splurging on the weekends makes sense for me. enjoying the easy mornings and better nights sleep.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:11:42 AM by Sleazy »

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2019, 08:45:35 AM »
Really cool to see all the slappers that are trying to get and stay sober. Right now I have 9.5 months. Last day I used was Jan 10. I was using heroin and coke daily. Overdosed for the first time, wrecked my car and went into treatment. Was forced with that or my girl not letting me come home. Has been worth it and I feel great. I don't do any AA/NA but more CBT therapy and meds to manage my depression. Been skating a alot, rebuilding relationships with family and friends, and just started working again. Definitely was hard the first few months but now I'm proud I made the change.

that is such a difficult change to make. i can't imagine how difficult the initial days must be, especially in a moiment that is already difficult (crashing, injury and relationship struggles) mad proud of you and 9.5 months!
keep it up, a year is close and you can count in big steps.

really like this thread and good posters on here!
happy to see some good souls here apart from the crazy insults that are flying nthrough some of the threads.

@Sleazy: way to go! any step towards moderation and awareness is a good step. good strength and props from my side.

PMA

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
@Sleazy: way to go! any step towards moderation and awareness is a good step. good strength and props from my side.

thanks man. my wife lead the way. if she was still drinking it'd be way harder.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2019, 12:05:47 PM »
i'm about 4 weeks in on this new moderation thing where i mostly drink on weekends and it's going really well. it's probably not for every one but here's some notes for anyone thinking about just moderating instead of completely quiting

- i don't really struggle with not having a drink mon-thurs anymore, took like 2 weeks but i actually really enjoy just relaxing at night now and find it a bit more relaxing to chill without a drink
- i've started looking forward to not drinking during the next week on the weekends. i enjoy having some drinks on weekend for sure but i find that the next day when i'm tired and have harder time getting up i start looking forward to the next week. i'm also starting to enjoy drinking a little less on the weekends. it's more like desert at this point. i like eating a desert when i'm in the mood but if i randomly just slay a huge piece of cake for no reason i'll probably not be into it, same thing with just pounding drinks for not good reason.
- officially i can drink sunday by my program but lately i've been skipping it mainly because i don't want to feel like shit monday and i'm usually feeling worn out from fri and sat festivities
- initial weight loss is gone. i went HAM one weekend where we went on a road trip to see tool and ended up bingeing on food and alcohol the whole weekend.

all in all super happy with the lifestyle change. treating drinking more like food and keeping it lean and clean during the week and splurging on the weekends makes sense for me. enjoying the easy mornings and better nights sleep.

Congrats dude ! I think this is the best way to go about it because it's not just stopping everything so cold turkey, like you've mentioned as you cut down you find more that the days your allowing drinks you wont even feel like it and it kind of becomes more of a "whatever" thing instead of something to look forward to.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

Wanting to be my best self the next day was a big factor in me successfully doing what you’re doing (I went from raging nightly alcoholic to strictly only weekend drinking and have been good for years).

I skate better, workout better, work and socialize better after having been sober the night before. Once I got past initial cravings this really sealed the deal.

It’s dope how re-falling in love with skateboarding helped me. I got obsessed with filming a new part and I wanted to be on point the next day to skate way more than I wanted to drink.

Disclaimer I just want to say that “cutting back” like this is probably isn’t for most people. Not that I’m special it just seems like most people with an addiction need to fully quit.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2019, 06:45:10 PM »
  I was fucked up at work today on edibles.  Thats my work juice.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2019, 04:17:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wanting to be my best self the next day was a big factor in me successfully doing what you’re doing (I went from raging nightly alcoholic to strictly only weekend drinking and have been good for years).

I skate better, workout better, work and socialize better after having been sober the night before. Once I got past initial cravings this really sealed the deal.

It’s dope how re-falling in love with skateboarding helped me. I got obsessed with filming a new part and I wanted to be on point the next day to skate way more than I wanted to drink.

Disclaimer I just want to say that “cutting back” like this is probably isn’t for most people. Not that I’m special it just seems like most people with an addiction need to fully quit.

seeing others talking about moderation on here really helped get me motivated. last night i was thinking about having a drink but ended up eating some cheese and pretzels. i did a gnarly workout class after a long day and was just feeling exhausted.

i'm feeling the same way about skating as you mentioned. my big challenge now is that i usually skate saturday mornings and that's my worst day now, lol. a lot of the time i'll roll up at the skate park and just never get a session going because i'm physically tired and just not feeling pumped up. need to figure that one out.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2019, 05:11:37 AM »
^ instead of looking forward to drinking friday night .. look even further and get excited for the saturday morning skate sesh
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

no habla mango

• Rep: -63
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2019, 05:23:37 AM »
russell simmons said 'i realized i preferred morning meditation to late night partying.'
straight quote reminds me of that.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2019, 05:30:59 AM »
^ instead of looking forward to drinking friday night .. look even further and get excited for the saturday morning skate sesh

need to figure something out here for sure. now that it's not so hot might try skating later in the day and taking it easy friday nights. it's helpful for me during the week to know i can have a drink on friday. good way to finish the work week.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2019, 05:40:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

seeing others talking about moderation on here really helped get me motivated. last night i was thinking about having a drink but ended up eating some cheese and pretzels. i did a gnarly workout class after a long day and was just feeling exhausted.

i'm feeling the same way about skating as you mentioned. my big challenge now is that i usually skate saturday mornings and that's my worst day now, lol. a lot of the time i'll roll up at the skate park and just never get a session going because i'm physically tired and just not feeling pumped up. need to figure that one out.

You’re doin it right.

Other related advice from my experience. If you’re used to basically drinking yourself to sleep then you gotta tire yourself out. When you’re still fighting booze cravings, being wide awake with excess energy at 9 pm is the enemy. Wake up earlier, workout harder, work harder, skate harder whatever. Eventually dinner and bed will be all you want. Remember that cravings pass, just wait them out. Wait an hour or 2 and see if you still really need it that bad. Reaching for snacks instead of a drink as you mentioned is a fatboy move but I totally did it all the time. Whatever it’s better than drinking.  I don’t really get how it works but it does help curb a craving.

The last part about weekend skating I haven’t figure out either because I do still drink a bit on weekends. The difference in my energy and focus level after a sober night vs after drinking even a couple is dramatic so I really prefer skating weekdays. When it’s light out until 9 it’s totally doable but this 5 pm sunset basically relegates skating to the weekend.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2019, 05:53:24 AM »
fortunately for me i can easily be tired. i usually start working around 6am and work till around 5:30 pm and most days i do an hour intense workout at orange theory and if the weather is nice i'll throw a session on my quarter in there too or a hike with my wife on some trails in our neighborhood.

i was thinking the same thing about trying to hit up some week night sessions. i could also do week mornings. i own my own business and work from home/anywhere so there is this really chill coffee shop on the lake near the skatepark i like in austin so might start mixing that in once some of these projects i'm working on start getting less dependent on my time.

really appreciate the feedback though.

for all the crazy shit that this place is, i currently quit smoking weed after talking about it in a thread on here like 5 years ago and now this thread is great for moderating the drinking. good stuff.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2019, 07:18:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

... good way to finish the work week...

it is not, in my opinion. it is the way they advertise to "treat yourself" but it just makes your only time you don't have to be a slave difficult to heal from the work week and stress, do something for yourself, relax on the weekend and get some time to move on in life.

for me stopping after work "treat yourselfs" especially on fridays was the point where i started moving forward in life.
having to full days for myself, one to catch up with what i have not had time for during the week (clean, call back and catch up with friends, on sleep, etc.) and one day to work on personal projects, maybe look for better jobs, plan for the upcoming week, prep lunch, ... skate, art, whatever. and it always feels so good, like finishing the week off and feeling ready to start the next instead of dreading mondays.

its like an upwards spiral

PMA

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »
that sounds like a good approach and i'd commend anyone who takes that but just doesn't fit to what i'm currently trying to do

for me the whole moderation thing, whether it's my diet or drinking is about rewarding good behavior. so during the week we eat healthy, have home cooked meals most nights with fresh seafood, meats and veggies but then on the weekend we'll get into some pizza or mexican food. we don't let our kids eat sweets or drink sodas during the week. but on the weekend, if they get some outside play time in then we let them have sugar drinks and snacks. the whole vibe being about balance and rewarding yourself for healthy choices.

i'm just trying to get my drinking into this same flow as it's been out of wack with the rest of what we do for a long time.

and then my situation is different than most on the job front. i work from home in a really great space with my wife and dogs, i manage my own schedule and my work is mostly creative things that i enjoy doing. i don't deal with traffic or any of that. so while my weekends are precious, it's not like it's my only 2 days of freedom. my weekends are mostly about having some fun with the kids and catching up on domestics. and part of that is eating some fun food and now part of that is having a drink for me.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »
fortunately for me i can easily be tired. i usually start working around 6am and work till around 5:30 pm and most days i do an hour intense workout at orange theory and if the weather is nice i'll throw a session on my quarter in there too or a hike with my wife on some trails in our neighborhood.

i was thinking the same thing about trying to hit up some week night sessions. i could also do week mornings. i own my own business and work from home/anywhere so there is this really chill coffee shop on the lake near the skatepark i like in austin so might start mixing that in once some of these projects i'm working on start getting less dependent on my time.

really appreciate the feedback though.

for all the crazy shit that this place is, i currently quit smoking weed after talking about it in a thread on here like 5 years ago and now this thread is great for moderating the drinking. good stuff.

ahah this is awesome, SLAP saves lives

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2019, 06:29:09 PM »
Ooooh shit, man, I got my first of many SLAP accounts in like 99 or 2001, maybe earlier with those OG boards with that shithead YMHY (who I only remember because I was a kid and he gave me endless shit), and it's be a long, long time since I'm back from lurking hard, but this topic got me.

I stopped drinking alcohol just over 4 years ago and it's been a journey and a half. Due to the nature of the work I've done, I could drink a few beers all day and, excluding my physical and mental well being, get by fine enough. Then, when we settled down for the night, ate a little food, the beers starting getting crushed. It was always cases of Lagunitas IPA, Sculpin Grapefruit, or Racer 5. From here, a few night a week anyways, it went to the bar or whatever, and another substance was usually introduced and I'd be sitting in some shithole bar until 130am, doing nothing interesting or beneficial.

Then one day, following a weekend long outdoor craft beer festival, where I did a few other drugs, and drank a bloody maria for breakfast on the last day, feeling NOTHING, I decided it was time to lay off for a month. Well, in that first month I found myself back in the drunkest place I'd ever lived/worked, I'm talking my work partner drinking a pint of gin before 7am and breaking out the fire ball after his "nap." I didn't know if I'd make it through, but i figured I'd work harder sober no matter how challenging it was to not drinking a dank IPA while working the saw or splitting wood...

Then came the night of the DMT breakthrough. Sitting around the fire, Yolla Bollies in the distance, I ripped the Deemster bowl and took a trip into hyperspace. There was no cognitive breakthrough but upon returning to ground I knew that I no longer needed/wanted alcohol in my life. Now, this isn't to say I'm not usually thirsty and don't want a brew, but I know it's no good for me, so I stay away.

It got hard when I was laid up with a neck injury, then a low back injury, leaving me unable to skate, ride a bike, work manual labor, or practice yoga, and I had a few bouts messing with some pharmies, but all told, it's been a fucking sweet experience and one of the best things I've done for myself. I learned some serious job skills, saved hella cheddar, the body is healing, and, although some of changed and been dropped, my relationships are better, stronger and more positive.

Y'all do what y'all gotta do but it's possible to get sober and find better, more interesting shit to do. The boredom is a killer for the first year, then year 2 feels over confident, after that, the sailing starts to get smoother.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:12:17 AM by IusedToSkateMore »
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2019, 10:51:53 AM »
Haven’t really drank to get drunk in years, but still loved a beer here and there.
Well, this year here and there has been everywhere and I’ve noticed it’s gotten pretty hard going through the day without atleast 1 beer.
Currently 8 days fully sober, feeling restless.
We’ll see how this goes.

Salsa Verde

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
Ooooh shit, man, I got my first of many SLAP accounts in like 99 or 2001, maybe earlier with those OG boards with that shithead YMHY (who I only remember because I was a kid and he gave me endless shit), and it's be a long, long time since I'm back from lurking hard, but this topic got me.

I stopped drinking alcohol just over 4 years ago and it's been a journey and a half. Due to the nature of the work I've done, I could drink a few beers all day and, excluding my physical and mental well being, get by fine enough. Then, when we settled down for the night, ate a little food, the beers starting getting crushed. It was always cases of Lagunitas IPA, Sculpin Grapefruit, or Racer 5. From here, a few night a week anyways, it went to the bar or whatever, and another substance was usually introduced and I'd be sitting in some shithole bar until 130am, doing nothing interesting or beneficial.

Then one day, following a weekend long outdoor craft beer festival, where I did a few other drugs, and drank a bloody maria for breakfast on the last day, feeling NOTHING, I decided it was time to lay off for a month. Well, in that first month I found myself back in the drunkest place I'd ever lived/worked, I'm talking my work partner drinking a pint of gin before 7am and breaking out the fire ball after his "nap." I didn't know if I'd make it through, but i figured I'd work harder sober no matter how challenging it was to not drinking a dank IPA while working the saw or splitting wood...

Then came the night of the DMT breakthrough. Sitting around the fire, Yolla Bollies in the distance, I ripped the Deemster bowl and took a trip into hyperspace. There was no cognitive breakthrough but upon returning to ground I knew that I no longer needed/wanted alcohol in my life. Now, this isn't to say I'm not usually thirsty and don't want a brew, but I know it's no good for me, so I stay away.

It got hard when I was laid up with a neck injury, then a low back injury, leaving me unable to skate, ride a bike, work manual labor, or practice yoga, and I had a few bouts messing with some pharmies, but all told, it's been a fucking sweet experience and one of the best things I've done for myself. I learned some serious job skills, saved hella cheddar, the body is healing, and, although some of changed and been dropped, my relationships are better, stronger and more positive.

Y'all do what y'all gotta do but it's possible to get sober and find better, more interesting shit to do. The boredom is a killer for the first year, then year 2 feels over confident, after that, the sailing starts to get smoother.

Epic journey. Stay with it!