Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 48672 times)

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 115
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #450 on: March 11, 2023, 07:21:41 AM »
I reached my 4 month mark being alcohol free yesterday. Last weekend I did a snowboarding trip with coworkers and I was the only one who wasn’t drinking at the Airbnb. To be honest I was sort of pissed off and annoyed by everyone but I guess I proved to myself I can do it.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2023, 07:43:04 AM »
I reached my 4 month mark being alcohol free yesterday. Last weekend I did a snowboarding trip with coworkers and I was the only one who wasn’t drinking at the Airbnb. To be honest I was sort of pissed off and annoyed by everyone but I guess I proved to myself I can do it.

Well done. It‘s crazy how you only notice how everyone around you is drinking all the time once you stop drinking yourself. I don‘t even go to such trips anymore.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #452 on: March 11, 2023, 09:36:42 AM »
I've only been alcohol free for about three weeks, but I feel pretty damn good. I needed a gut reset pretty badly. Been drinking alot of water and booch, and taking glutamine before every meal. Its really helping!

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2023, 11:39:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well done. It‘s crazy how you only notice how everyone around you is drinking all the time once you stop drinking yourself. I don‘t even go to such trips anymore.

Yeah, I just wanted to go snowboarding, but when we were hanging out in the cabin I realized I just don’t want to actually hang out with any of them. It WOULD take booze to tolerate being stuck in there, but willpower came through.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #454 on: March 12, 2023, 12:16:07 PM »
i went 34 days on my dry 30, then i had 2 beers before dinner friday, sat and sunday then back to dry for a week and then i was off to a week vacation at the beach and pretty much got back to drinking daily but less than i was before. mostly no day drinking and just a few beers and a burbon most days.

i'm back at home and planning to go dry this week. i'm finding that drinking on school nights isn't great for my energy levels and i have a tech business which needs some serious attention with serious downturn going on in tech right now. not sure what i'm going to do next weekend. i feel like at a minimum i'd like to get to just weekend drinking and not drinking as heavy.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #455 on: March 12, 2023, 01:51:11 PM »
Hitting 9 months next Sunday. Just NA beers once in awhile. No cigarettes for just about two years.

To the comment about being at an Airbnb & everyone drinks; I hear that & that’s when NA beers come in handy. I was just away in the Catskills & no one really drank but if they did, I’d have one NA beer & just nerd out on music & skating. Worked well & continue to know that alcohol won’t help a thing.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #456 on: March 12, 2023, 06:17:34 PM »
Just something I've noticed.  I'd never cancel a trip or anything because people are drinking, but people who want to live their old lifestyle just without booze seem to never pan out.  I'm talking about people that want to continue hanging out in bars multiple times a week.  If that's what you're doing, you're really banking on your willpower to survive hundreds of situations.

You'll never completely avoid alcohol and I still go to bars here and there, but be smart about it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #457 on: March 13, 2023, 07:37:09 AM »
Hitting 9 months next Sunday. Just NA beers once in awhile. No cigarettes for just about two years.

To the comment about being at an Airbnb & everyone drinks; I hear that & that’s when NA beers come in handy. I was just away in the Catskills & no one really drank but if they did, I’d have one NA beer & just nerd out on music & skating. Worked well & continue to know that alcohol won’t help a thing.

i find that if i'm not drinking i get bored. my wife and i went out for a valentines dinner that was slow paced and with drinks would have been really romantic but was honestly a bit boring without. not a big deal but we talked about it later and it would have been better to play some tennis then grab something quicker. just feels like without drinks your pacing is way different and sitting around BSn looses it's appeal a good bit.

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #458 on: March 13, 2023, 08:44:29 AM »
I quit drinking to take a month off while unemployed to find a job. Got a job where I had to get up before 5am and it was truly one of the best things to happen to me. No way in hell could I pull off that wake up time while drinking, I'd done it before and it was one of the worst stretches of time in my life.

I made it to 30 days like I'd done a handful of times before, but for the first time I kept it going. My job has cool people, the work is not terribly stressful, and it's full time, so I had way more incentive to actually be sober and enjoy my days talking to people instead of counting the minutes until I could drink again.

And let me tell you, I think it was day 33, I felt reborn. I felt like I had woken up from a coma, like I was an old man who was granted youth again, and put into a 33 year old body as a joke. A good joke! I was on that pink cloud for months, it was incredible.

Then I got injured and couldn't work, so I leaned onto weed and kratom to pass the time. Kratom started turning on me so I dropped it with no ill effects. Had some urges to drink, but made some lists, got some exercise, and made some plans to look forward to, and the urge passed. I still don't know if I want to not drink forever. I might try to have one in a healthy environment (not by myself) and see if the usual happens (back to the hangover of death cycle again).

But being "sober" has given me so much! It's like the opposite of Pandora's Box opening, where all these great things came barreling into my life and this little fart of boredom squeaked out at the end instead of hope.

Booze is a trap!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2023, 08:50:03 AM »
I quit drinking to take a month off while unemployed to find a job. Got a job where I had to get up before 5am and it was truly one of the best things to happen to me. No way in hell could I pull off that wake up time while drinking, I'd done it before and it was one of the worst stretches of time in my life.

I made it to 30 days like I'd done a handful of times before, but for the first time I kept it going. My job has cool people, the work is not terribly stressful, and it's full time, so I had way more incentive to actually be sober and enjoy my days talking to people instead of counting the minutes until I could drink again.

And let me tell you, I think it was day 33, I felt reborn. I felt like I had woken up from a coma, like I was an old man who was granted youth again, and put into a 33 year old body as a joke. A good joke! I was on that pink cloud for months, it was incredible.

Then I got injured and couldn't work, so I leaned onto weed and kratom to pass the time. Kratom started turning on me so I dropped it with no ill effects. Had some urges to drink, but made some lists, got some exercise, and made some plans to look forward to, and the urge passed. I still don't know if I want to not drink forever. I might try to have one in a healthy environment (not by myself) and see if the usual happens (back to the hangover of death cycle again).

But being "sober" has given me so much! It's like the opposite of Pandora's Box opening, where all these great things came barreling into my life and this little fart of boredom squeaked out at the end instead of hope.

Booze is a trap!

Glad you’re good, homie. Glad you got off the kratom too. That shit is 🤮
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

JoseCansnake0

• Rep: -31
« Reply #460 on: March 13, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »

Booze is a trap!

Hell yeah man, all this is awesome to read! Booze is a trap!

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2023, 11:01:56 PM »

Booze is a trap!

It is definitely a trap.

I haven’t had a drink in about a year and a half. It is my 3rd or 4th time going over a year without drink in the last 14 years. Each time, I eventually start drinking again and it takes me back to the EXACT same miserable place. Crazy thing is, even knowing this, I know deep down that I will most likely go through it all again at some point. I’m in no rush to go back through it all and have been drinking and enjoying a lot of tea everyday.

I call being dry/sober “floating the boat”

And wet/drunk “sinking the ship”

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #462 on: March 19, 2023, 09:58:18 AM »
day 100 of being dry today.
didn't even remember, until i lay down to watch some it's sunny after a nice sunday doing yard work.
now what?
fun fun fun

JoseCansnake0

« Reply #463 on: March 19, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »
didn't even remember, until i lay down to watch some it's sunny after a nice sunday doing yard work.
now what?

Congrats, The world is your oyster. It gets a bit easier after 100, but I will say you'll feel "bored", but it's just that your not poising yourself and making questionable decisions. Enjoy the new mind set.

Pick up a new hobby, shit, go skate!

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #464 on: March 19, 2023, 11:49:06 AM »
I’m about to get on the train. Recovered from drug addiction a decade ago and really only drink once a week or so, with 1-2 drinks at most. Was never problematic until the last couple of months, where I’ve woken up the next day with crippling depression, no matter how much or little I drank. At this point, it’s a crutch for social situations I feel uncomfortable in, and no longer very enjoyable. Gonna maybe use this thread as motivation as I get through it

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: March 19, 2023, 12:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
now what?
[close]

Congrats, The world is your oyster. It gets a bit easier after 100, but I will say you'll feel "bored", but it's just that your not poising yourself and making questionable decisions. Enjoy the new mind set.

Pick up a new hobby, shit, go skate!

@ralf great achievement. I second Albatras: Keep it up, go skate, pick up some other hobby (I understand you have a nice garden going, that's certainly keeping you busy with Spring approaching) but DO NOT go back to drinking.

I’m about to get on the train. Recovered from drug addiction a decade ago and really only drink once a week or so, with 1-2 drinks at most. Was never problematic until the last couple of months, where I’ve woken up the next day with crippling depression, no matter how much or little I drank. At this point, it’s a crutch for social situations I feel uncomfortable in, and no longer very enjoyable. Gonna maybe use this thread as motivation as I get through it

Welcome aboard, bro. If you're struggling, post in this thread or hit one of us up.

why come?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #466 on: March 19, 2023, 05:30:54 PM »

@fakie nollie let us know how you're doing <3

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: March 19, 2023, 06:57:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@fakie nollie let us know how you're doing <3

I’m good!

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: March 25, 2023, 01:09:12 PM »
Welp I broke down last night and had a couple of drinks at dinner. A skate homie, who I often partied with, was our waiter. Not blaming him for my decision but didn’t help when he was ready and waiting to bring more drinks at a moment’s notice.

Inevitably woke up depressed and anxiety ridden. Thankfully, I didn’t feel very hungover, so I went to the gym and it did a 180 on my whole mood. I’ll be in sin city all next week but feel confident I can skip drinking throughout that.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #469 on: March 25, 2023, 01:34:52 PM »
Anyone else watch the Huberman lab on alcohol? Some absolutely horrifying information about what it does to your body.

IJC

• Rep: 6
« Reply #470 on: March 26, 2023, 01:39:52 PM »
I had no alcohol for 6 years, but started drinking 4 months ago. it was a desperate attemp to connect with my wife again. Was a bad decision to try to save a broken marriage. Started with just a few beers, but ended blacking out last time a i drank. Never touching alcohol again
Quit smoking weed after smoking for 20 years, just to realize i have so much stuff in my head i have to deal with. I can’t enjoy being high like i used to.
 I have no one to talk about this, so reading what other people are going through really helps.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #471 on: March 26, 2023, 02:10:13 PM »
I had no alcohol for 6 years, but started drinking 4 months ago. it was a desperate attemp to connect with my wife again. Was a bad decision to try to save a broken marriage. Started with just a few beers, but ended blacking out last time a i drank. Never touching alcohol again
Quit smoking weed after smoking for 20 years, just to realize i have so much stuff in my head i have to deal with. I can’t enjoy being high like i used to.
 I have no one to talk about this, so reading what other people are going through really helps.

You‘ve come to the right place bruh. Speak your mind, share, read, get motivation to persevere.
why come?

IJC

« Reply #472 on: March 26, 2023, 06:14:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You‘ve come to the right place bruh. Speak your mind, share, read, get motivation to persevere.

Thanks man, you don’t know how much this means to me

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #473 on: March 27, 2023, 05:59:30 PM »
Anyone else watch the Huberman lab on alcohol? Some absolutely horrifying information about what it does to your body.

ya man, this one is an eye opener
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #474 on: March 27, 2023, 06:23:08 PM »

Know you’re brave to even admit you need some help. That alone is huge.

IJC

« Reply #475 on: March 27, 2023, 08:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I apareciate your words a lot, quitting weed has really opened my eyes to so much shit i didn’t wanted to deal with. Just expressing this here is a big relief.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: March 27, 2023, 10:53:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I apareciate your words a lot, quitting weed has really opened my eyes to so much shit i didn’t wanted to deal with. Just expressing this here is a big relief.

Yes weed is great for forgetting / pushing off issues, but the problem is, that the issues don‘t just go away, they keep on adding up and one day they hit you on the head all at once and then you break. At least that happened  to me once. Being sober means that you can deal with your issues immediately as they come up, one by one. Reality is harsh but it‘s what we have to deal with, so better get it done and move on.
why come?

Streebo

« Reply #477 on: March 28, 2023, 01:17:48 PM »
Haven't been sober since 2013......

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #478 on: March 29, 2023, 05:57:48 AM »
Been going back and forth for a year or two. Some cringe blackout insta story rants brought me back to reality last year and I chilled the fuck out. Cut out malt liquor and went to Modelo exclusively.

Typically kept it to like a 6 or less most nights, then like two months ago I cut back to a couple days a week. I just felt so sluggish. Last week I hadn't indulged in like four days and had two very rad energetic sessions in a row where I locked some tricks I've been grinding on down.

Oddly, skating awesome makes me want to celebrate more than anything else so the second night I did. Skated the next day like ass. Timing was way off and I had no energy. I'm over it, I decided that at my age the possibility of having dope sessions more often outweighs throwing one away to have fun with alcohol.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #479 on: March 30, 2023, 02:56:34 AM »
i find that if i'm not drinking i get bored. my wife and i went out for a valentines dinner that was slow paced and with drinks would have been really romantic but was honestly a bit boring without. not a big deal but we talked about it later and it would have been better to play some tennis then grab something quicker. just feels like without drinks your pacing is way different and sitting around BSn looses it's appeal a good bit.
[/quote]

That last sentence hit hard for me. After I stopped drinking, I realized my core group of people I would hang and bs with while killing beers were kind of lame. I’d still hang out, but all they did was talk about work. I don’t get bored easily but damn, I got bored. None of them skated so instead of hanging with them, I’d skate. They asked me after a while if I thought I was “too good for them now” now that I don’t drink. The guy asking was kind of being a dick, so I told the truth, which always hurts. You guys are pretty lame and seriously boring. Skating is way more fun that listening to shop talk. Also, coutry music sucks ass when sober. (Or drunk, really). That was the end of them. No big loss.