Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4885611 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27030 on: February 03, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

viceland promo 8.5 (made by watson, so sayeth the man who flowed me)

indy 159’s

ricta 55mm 99a (cheaper than the usual- i’m insanely broke. i hate their graphics, entire team and all their ads)

bones reds
[close]

I'm digging the colors on the deck!

Indy Mids?

Those Rictas have a nice shape to em though! Hope they treat ya well!
[close]

I looked closer, yes mids, with 55mm wheels. 

Interesting to hear if you get wheelbite with that combo.

prolly will - my old setup was highs and 60’s and i got wheelbite all the time. i’m predominately a transition dude who occasionally hucks a ledge or two so it’s not usually much an issue. i slide a lot so these won’t stay 55’s for long

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #27031 on: February 03, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »
It looks good with the custom  name paint job!

I've been tempted to snag the mids but I have 2x 149s on ice still and I'm not doing a quiver so we'll see haha!  One day soon I may give them a go
Super Champion Fun Zone

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 888
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27032 on: February 04, 2021, 07:47:02 PM »
into the final frontier of the madness. figured since i was comfortable on my dane1 with the 14.125 but didnt like the couch or shred shapes that had sub 14 wheelbases,  14.0 was the obvious answer. @ballintoohard sold me a wall board and shes a fucking stunner

scumco deep dish 8.5/31.5/14.0
venture 5.6 w/gold plates+riptides +flat washers+indy 78a
f4 conical full 52mm 101a
swiss super 6
local allen hardware
mob
sb dunk lows/adidas tyshawns

lets start with the shape. very reminiscent of the hockey 8.5 shape that i love, just shorter and maybe a hair less square. been liking the short board/long leg combo in terms of leveling things out, feels much more natural.

patting myself on the back for sticking with ventures. the tail steepness plus the deck wb, axle to axle, truck height, and weight has equalled the easiest pop ive ever experienced with my own setup. feels like venture lows with extra pop.

gonna take it to the indoor park this weekend to see if the 101a spits can hang or if they bound to being summer wheels. jury is still out on that but wheels are the only thing id even consider tinkering with. corncerned this is my best setup ever, have a hold on another one that im picking up next week. obviously not as good of a graphic
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:54:08 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #27033 on: February 04, 2021, 11:19:35 PM »
into the final frontier of the madness. figured since i was comfortable on my dane1 with the 14.125 but didnt like the couch or shred shapes that had sub 14 wheelbases,  14.0 was the obvious answer. @ballintoohard sold me a wall board and shes a fucking stunner

swiss super 6
local allen hardware
mob

lets start with the shape. very reminiscent of the hockey 8.5 shape that i love, just shorter and maybe a hair less square. been liking the short board/long leg combo in terms of leveling things out, feels much more natural.

patting myself on the back for sticking with ventures. the tail steepness plus the deck wb, axle to axle, truck height, and weight has equalled the easiest pop ive ever experienced with my own setup. feels like venture lows with extra pop.

gonna take it to the indoor park this weekend to see if the 101a spits can hang or if they bound to being summer wheels. jury is still out on that but wheels are the only thing id even consider tinkering with. corncerned this is my best setup ever, have a hold on another one that im picking up next week. obviously not as good of a graphic

This looks like the type of setup I’ve been dreaming up in my head as some sort of ideal setup. 5.6 don’t look too small for the deck width either. Are those forged or cast plates? Sick setup kinda jealous. Shoes looking dope too

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #27034 on: February 04, 2021, 11:36:31 PM »

swiss super 6
local allen hardware
mob

Such a dope board, skated that same board last summer and I loved it.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #27035 on: February 05, 2021, 05:16:00 AM »

swiss super 6
local allen hardware
mob

Beautiful graphic. Yeah those deep dish Scumco/Pennswood are amazing. I’ve never tried the Hockey 8.5, is it similar in how steep the kicks/concave are? The standard South central (5boro, Politic, etc...) concave is the closest to the Deep dish I’ve felt

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #27036 on: February 05, 2021, 06:19:58 AM »
Man, I wish scum co was easier to get a hold of.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #27037 on: February 05, 2021, 07:14:47 AM »
Man, I wish scum co was easier to get a hold of.

What's the deal with them ? Small operation?

They look dope.

Prob not available in eu I'm guessing.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Jd82

• Rep: 6
« Reply #27038 on: February 05, 2021, 08:46:11 AM »
I'm new to the forum and I just set this board up and figured I would add it to this thread. I was a little concerned about how much the back trucks stick out beyond the deck due to the shape.
What yall think

9.5 black label auby taylor
Ace 66
Slime balls 56mm 99a
1/8" riser

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27039 on: February 05, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »
I'm new to the forum and I just set this board up and figured I would add it to this thread. I was a little concerned about how much the back trucks stick out beyond the deck due to the shape.
What yall think

Ace 66
Slime balls 56mm 99a
1/8" riser

It wouldn't bother me too much but it's sick that you broke that deck out! Auby had the best shapes on Black Label

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #27040 on: February 05, 2021, 05:53:15 PM »
Dream Complete!!
Dane1
Ace 55
Spit Conical Full 99 56mm
Reds
Jessup (terrible grip job haha)

Proverbs 27:17

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
« Reply #27041 on: February 05, 2021, 05:55:08 PM »

swiss super 6
local allen hardware
mob

do you feel any difference with riptides?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27042 on: February 05, 2021, 09:01:20 PM »
^That tail looks super steep... I don’t know if I’d be able to ever get it to actually make contact with the ground if I tried to skate that thing.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #27043 on: February 05, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote

swiss super 6
local allen hardware
mob

[close]

do you feel any difference with riptides?
I like this setup however that grip job is a bit too wide for that line. But that’s just me though.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #27044 on: February 06, 2021, 08:14:32 AM »
Maybe not the best thread for questions, but there seems to be a lot of discussion around sizes.

Haven't skated in awhile because of a bad back, and my last setup is pretty random. Basically an old board from my brother, some trucks and wheels from my late friend. Keeping the trucks for sentimental reasons. Trucks are Independent 139's I think, meaning I can ride 7.8 - 8.2. I'd want to go as wide as I can, since I'd mostly be cruising, flatground and ledges, but I'm also 31 so maybe it's time for transition.

Reading through a couple of threads,I've seen people talk about wheelbase a bunch, sometimes in correlation to height. I'm about 6'4'' with pretty long legs. Should I be after a certain wheelbase? I thought I saw someone say shorter would be better.

Would something like 8.125" Wide X 32" Long X 14.25" Wheelbase work?

Baker TK Shalom 8"
Independent 139
Skate Mental wheels

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #27045 on: February 06, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
@sometimeperhaps  welcome back, enjoy
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109009.0

Tall pals thread probably be good to read through. I’m about the same height. Since you said as wide as you can go, I’d say 9” trucks for stability and cruising but 8.75” if you wanted to pop a bit more/get less tired doing so.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #27046 on: February 06, 2021, 08:39:11 AM »
@sometimeperhaps  welcome back, enjoy
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109009.0

Tall pals thread probably be good to read through. I’m about the same height. Since you said as wide as you can go, I’d say 9” trucks for stability and cruising but 8.75” if you wanted to pop a bit more/get less tired doing so.

Thanks pal, I think that was the thread I was after.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #27047 on: February 06, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »
Trying something different. First session in and already wearing through the tail pretty quick.

Dane 1
Thunder 151
1/8 risers
F4 54mm classics
Bronson g3

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27048 on: February 06, 2021, 02:02:13 PM »
mentions cause my formattings kinda dusty

@hobochimp - forged plates from the titanium model.

@Sundaynuggets - the hockey 8.5 is similarly shaped and has about the same tail angle. hockey has a slightly steeper, squarer nose and medium concave.

@funeral_tuxedo - yes riptides are the truth. its one of those things that you just have to try to really get it. noticeable difference coming off the stock pivot cups

@SneakySecrets - feels effortless for me, naturally pop at the end of the tail. i just have to jump and it sticks to my feet. actually need to adjust for over popping some flip tricks but thats a "problem" i want

@El Fapinator - narrow fellas just dont get it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #27049 on: February 06, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »

@Sundaynuggets - the hockey 8.5 is similarly shaped and has about the same tail angle. hockey has a slightly steeper, squarer nose and medium concave.

@funeral_tuxedo - yes riptides are the truth. its one of those things that you just have to try to really get it. noticeable difference coming off the stock pivot cups

@SneakySecrets - feels effortless for me, naturally pop at the end of the tail. i just have to jump and it sticks to my feet. actually need to adjust for over popping some flip tricks but thats a "problem" i want

Interesting! I need to try this shape. I have a deep dish square shaped deck, I imagine it feels similar.

Fhk

« Reply #27050 on: February 06, 2021, 02:12:56 PM »

Shit..I didn't get my questions in on time. :) Have you skated 5.6s on a Hockey 8.5? If so how was it, I don't have any 8.5 trucks and I have a FA 8.5 coming.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #27051 on: February 06, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

viceland promo 8.5 (made by watson, so sayeth the man who flowed me)

indy 159’s

ricta 55mm 99a (cheaper than the usual- i’m insanely broke. i hate their graphics, entire team and all their ads)

bones reds
[close]

I'm digging the colors on the deck!

Indy Mids?

Those Rictas have a nice shape to em though! Hope they treat ya well!
[close]

I looked closer, yes mids, with 55mm wheels. 

Interesting to hear if you get wheelbite with that combo.

4 hour sesh today at the DIY, wheels def kiss the deck but i never ground out/slammed from wheelbite

this jawn is definitely well made. a lot of pop.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27052 on: February 06, 2021, 04:28:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Shit..I didn't get my questions in on time. :) Have you skated 5.6s on a Hockey 8.5? If so how was it, I don't have any 8.5 trucks and I have a FA 8.5 coming.
5.6s on a hockey 8.5 is what made me a magic carpet believer, cant have it any other way at this point. more turning before wheelbite, ride away from more tricks, better flip response, primos arent as bad, and it just looks right to me. if i was good enough, id run 5.2s similar to the 8.5/139 that reynolds/baker loved to take full advantage. future challenge for sure

try running two inside washers before you consider getting 5.8s, you might like it!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #27053 on: February 06, 2021, 04:30:03 PM »
What yall think

Ace 66
Slime balls 56mm 99a
1/8" riser

Still have a few of those decks floating round - lots of fun!

There is also a Big Boards 9+ thread here too

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.2940;topicseen

Also forgot to say with all those 80s fish shapes there is always a huge amount of truck showing at the back, if you want the trucks the right size for the decks, so that is just how they look.  The widest point is 9.5 but the front truck area is about 9 and the back truck area is about 8.5, but you could never ride 44s / 149s on it.  The 55s would work well enough though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 04:38:01 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fhk

« Reply #27054 on: February 06, 2021, 04:56:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
5.6s on a hockey 8.5 is what made me a magic carpet believer, cant have it any other way at this point. more turning before wheelbite, ride away from more tricks, better flip response, primos arent as bad, and it just looks right to me. if i was good enough, id run 5.2s similar to the 8.5/139 that reynolds/baker loved to take full advantage. future challenge for sure

try running two inside washers before you consider getting 5.8s, you might like it!
Thanks bub! I have had 5.6s on a pretty steep/short wb  8.38 and absolutely loved it, so I was hoping a FA in a kinda similar size might feel somewhat similar. I appreciate you kicking the K-nowledge as always.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #27055 on: February 06, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »

Naww son I like a narrow thin line too much and it’s off putting.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #27056 on: February 06, 2021, 06:42:32 PM »
the wider the stripe the wider the pipe 8)

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #27057 on: February 07, 2021, 06:14:21 AM »
Paterson 8.25
Venture 5.8
Spitfire 53 f4

BelknappBruiser

• Rep: 26
« Reply #27058 on: February 07, 2021, 06:47:19 AM »

8.375 Quasi Acid-Ply
5.8 Venture Bobby Worrest
52mm Spitfire Mike Anderson SFW 2
Bones Reds
1" Shorty's Silverados
Black Magic

Huf Soto 10.5 (Not Pictured)

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #27059 on: February 07, 2021, 06:55:01 AM »

8.375 Quasi Acid-Ply
5.8 Venture Bobby Worrest
52mm Spitfire Mike Anderson SFW 2
Bones Reds
1" Shorty's Silverados
Black Magic

Huf Soto 10.5 (Not Pictured)

im envious. Been wanting this board, but refuse to buy a deck until i get through this stack

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.