Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 358339 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2340 on: January 25, 2022, 07:28:50 AM »
5.8 and 5.6 are the same. I had both and lined the baseplate holes up and the axles lined up perfectly and then I threw them off my balcony at an innocent passerby.

globe fusion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #2341 on: January 25, 2022, 06:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
just jumped on and too lazy to scroll through all the pages.

am riding ace classics right now (44 on 8.5), getting bothered by the stability on ollies.

am debating to switch to venture or thunder

what's the consensus on 6.1 on 8.5? or is 5.8 the way to go?
difference between light's and regulars? the lights are lower, and i believe the hanger is a bit far back, thus extending the wb.

how does the wb on venture compare to thunders?
the turn vs. thunder and ace?

if you have any other info, comments etc. feel free to reply or pm.

thank you for your time and help
[close]

I prefer 5.8s on 8.5s, lighter and a bit more nimble and you can always pad the axle with washers if you want a little more grind space.

If you get standard ventures with the cast baseplates, it'll probably feel a little less foreign as the wb isn't extended as much. Putting hollow/titanium hangers on the cast plates is very nice but definitely not necessary.

The wb on cast plates should be pretty similar to thunder on forged plates give or take a bit, and the wb on ventures with forged plates is a little longer than that.

Venture turn feels pretty similar to indys, but much slower, feels like they only really lean and don't max out like indys or aces but thats precisely why they feel so stable. Compared to thunders they turn slower too but are more stable and less twitchy, less wheelbitey.

No amount of tinkering will make ventures turn as well as ace, thats not the point of ventures. But agree that ace bushings, riptide pivot cups and flat top washers will make them feel very very good.

Personally, I'd say breaking in the stock bushings and putting a bones flat top washer is all you need to get them feeling great. The rest are very marginal improvements.

They should pinch a lot better than aces on crooked grinds etc too.

Dont be too worried about the lack of turn coming from aces if you're after stability though. A friend of mine went from aces to stock ventures, complained a little at first but got pretty used to the turn in a few days, and after he put flat washers on said it was great, no issues at all.

oh ok, thank you for the information and your replies!

am still hesitant, as i also use the deck as a filmer deck as times and am afraid the slower turn may be limiting to an extent.

hoping to find some irl with a similar set w/ ventures.

thanks again!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2342 on: January 25, 2022, 09:07:38 PM »
I know you don’t want to hear it….trust me…no one does…but have you considered an Indy?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2343 on: January 25, 2022, 09:32:01 PM »
I know you don’t want to hear it….trust me…no one does…but have you considered an Indy?

You're cruisin' for a brusin' with talk like that round these parts.

But I agree, Venture and Indy are fundamentally different trucks with Thunder splitting the difference. I'd always recommend Indy's for a cruiser / filmer board. Better turn, accommodates bigger wheels and weight is less of a factor.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2344 on: January 25, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #2345 on: January 25, 2022, 10:12:16 PM »

honestly might be the move lol

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2346 on: January 25, 2022, 11:11:28 PM »
You get the stability but still get a decent carve….they don’t mess with the wheelbase.  If you’ve skated an ace and the weight didn’t bother you, Indy’s are a solid choice. 

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2347 on: January 26, 2022, 08:39:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s super weird, my Thunders turn on a fucking dime. They’re known for being twitchy and I run them stock tightness. Are you really light?
[close]

That's the thing I'm a heavy bastard. My old ones turned perfect but the last set were so bad. Not sure if I got some bogus ones or maybe since they weren't raws or something. Idk
[close]

I had the same issue with my Thunders, got a new set a couple years back and the turn sucked so I switched back to Ace.

Miss the pop and stability  :'(

Kinda funny you say this because I caved and bought some ventures, just skated em for a bit and it's the stability that's tripping me out. Aces spoiled me

But I'm loving the pop right now so Ill probably fuck my muscle memory up by constantly moving between setups

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2348 on: January 26, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »
You get the stability but still get a decent carve….they don’t mess with the wheelbase.  If you’ve skated an ace and the weight didn’t bother you, Indy’s are a solid choice.

yeah but why get indy when any pinch trick is significantly more ass compared to the same trick on ventures

Also pop feel is very different - Indy pop lightly as a result of shorter WB and therefore it can be harder to "sense" the leverage of the board. Ventures have an advantage in that leverage is better achieved 

I like venture cuz on switch tricks like switch bs shuv and ollie I can get a stronger pop and pinch and i only skate street

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2349 on: January 26, 2022, 10:42:45 AM »
My pinch on Indy Mids is the same as Ventures, neither as good as Thunder for me. To each their own tho, just try shit out. I'm the opposite of you I get weaker pop on Ventures and I dunno why, but I go with what ends up working.

skateviewer

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2350 on: January 27, 2022, 03:34:00 PM »
just bought some 5.8 vlights, coming off of mostly indy and some recent fucking around on the lurpivs. i did a lot of reading on the ventures before getting them, but after skating them today (totally stock, stock tightness) i realize what i read didnt necessarily give me a sense of what the switch would be like, so i wanted to share my thoughts for anyone considering.

first, i really like them. they feel amazing and so easy rolling up to something. ridiculously nice.

second, the turning on stock tightness is very unlike indy/lurpivs at medium-loose tightness. i really didnt get the instant direction shift, its more of a lean hard and youre still going forward just in a different direction.

pop / the usual tricks came within 30 mins, and then i was putting the same stuff down with some extra confidence. i suspect they are less fun to ride but will put me onto some new tricks cause of the confidence. for me, pushing for new tricks is a blast in skating so im cool with that.

overall, i really like them. i wouldnt put these on a cruiser at all but im gonna use these for my street set up from now on.

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2351 on: January 28, 2022, 07:15:35 AM »
has anyone noticed the Adrian pro editions have a standard baseplate and what looks like a hollow kingpin?

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2352 on: January 28, 2022, 07:26:07 AM »
has anyone noticed the Adrian pro editions have a standard baseplate and what looks like a hollow kingpin?

interesting, in the thumb it looks like it could just be the standard kp and the lighting is weird making the little divot look deeper than it is, but that larger pic really looks hollow. i know there are a few sourcing issues, and i want to say someone mentioned venture having to go with black nuts or something recently so i wonder if the black kp is related to that or an actual design choice, since the hollow is usually just silver/polished 🤔

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2353 on: January 28, 2022, 08:25:41 AM »

i noticed this as well, but other pics and the catalog show them as just standard cast

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #2354 on: January 28, 2022, 08:59:32 AM »
anyone mess with the Venture Hollows? how they fair against Thunder Hollow Lights?

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #2355 on: January 29, 2022, 12:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i noticed this as well, but other pics and the catalog show them as just standard cast

Yeah I think it's just the lighting in the picture. Shame. I'm on cast 5.2 lows at the moment but I'm having trouble with some flip tricks. Specifically Tre flips, after switching over from hollows. My legs are too old.

Really want to support Del Campo though. He's the man.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #2356 on: January 29, 2022, 02:08:15 PM »
anyone mess with the Venture Hollows? how they fair against Thunder Hollow Lights?

I went from Hollow Light thunders to Venture Lights (Hollow kingpin) 3 years ago and have felt so much better ever since. I did just acquire 5.2 Hollow Light Lows that I'm going to set up next board that have the hollow axel as well.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2357 on: January 30, 2022, 02:36:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went from Hollow Light thunders to Venture Lights (Hollow kingpin) 3 years ago and have felt so much better ever since. I did just acquire 5.2 Hollow Light Lows that I'm going to set up next board that have the hollow axel as well.

Depends on the setup, Thunder HL if I rode a 8.5 or a heavier setup (chunky wheels, thicker deck) to lighten up the setup. Venture V-Hollow was my go-to for 8.25 decks, right amount of heft.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2358 on: January 30, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »
I rode thunder team hollows a bunch, the venture hollows just seem normal…..a bit more weight for sure but nothing like an Ace or even stock Indy’s.  To me it was more of a height difference that I noticed.  To me it’s an easy transition….

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2359 on: January 30, 2022, 07:35:49 PM »
weird how almost no pro that venture makes a pro graphic for skates hollows

I dont really see many pros skating the hollow offerings from Venture much anyway

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2360 on: January 31, 2022, 12:20:03 AM »

Also wondering about this. My 151 lights are nearing an end and I want to try 6.1s. Unsure of whether to cop standards or go for the v-hollow. Leaning toward the raws. Usually I ride 55-58mm wheels, always on 1/8 risers with the thunders.

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2361 on: January 31, 2022, 12:21:22 AM »
I’ve been running forged 5.6 with Riptide pivot cups and flat top washer for the last few months. Was on various Thunder’s for about 10 years before that. I love the Venture stability but sometimes the longer wheelbase and heft required for pop can make the session a bit more effort than I’d like to give. I had a go on a friends Ace’s and it threw me how fun they felt but could see the squirrel factor getting a bit hard for certain tricks. Proper madness.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #2362 on: January 31, 2022, 04:47:36 AM »

I dont really see many pros skating the hollow offerings from Venture much anyway
I think P Rod skates the hollow. Also I think they sell the V Light and Hollow just raw silver, you just have to take the sticker out. I’ve only ridden hi standard but am interested in the 1mm lower height.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2363 on: January 31, 2022, 05:09:22 PM »
The madness is getting to me and i think my pop is not where it could be. I'm riding 5.6 v hollows or 5.8 v hollows occasionally. Thinking about getting some of the wooden venture risers. Anyone running risers on. their ventures ever? Whats the scoop

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2364 on: January 31, 2022, 05:48:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think P Rod skates the hollow. Also I think they sell the V Light and Hollow just raw silver, you just have to take the sticker out. I’ve only ridden hi standard but am interested in the 1mm lower height.

Isn’t his pro model a ti
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2365 on: February 02, 2022, 05:37:41 AM »

went for the 90a supercush with flat washers, not had a proper skate on them yet but the turn and stability already feels way better than my stock purples which basically got shredded up by the stock washers.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2366 on: February 02, 2022, 11:09:34 AM »
Hey, for those that run the forged plates, what setup works for you? I normally run cast and the mason shape I’ve been skating seems like the tail is too short. What’s the secret to making them work? Or should I just go back to cast

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2367 on: February 02, 2022, 11:15:53 AM »
Hey, for those that run the forged plates, what setup works for you? I normally run cast and the mason shape I’ve been skating seems like the tail is too short. What’s the secret to making them work? Or should I just go back to cast
i'm running cast plates at the moment on 14.25" WB, but from my experience, forged plates shine on 14" WB or smaller. i really liked pairing forged plates with crailtap boards so maybe explore those shapes or if you have any 14" WB decks on hand, try that out first and see how it feels

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2368 on: February 02, 2022, 11:20:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i'm running cast plates at the moment on 14.25" WB, but from my experience, forged plates shine on 14" WB or smaller. i really liked pairing forged plates with crailtap boards so maybe explore those shapes or if you have any 14" WB decks on hand, try that out first and see how it feels
I have a few old crail decks I could set up and see, I figured a 14 inch wheelbase would even stuff out

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2369 on: February 02, 2022, 11:29:47 AM »
I finally got my Ventures loose and surfy enough with some soft Doh-doh's. I was about to give up on them and finally i remember why i loved those trucks in the past.

Currently running forged plates on 14,25" wb. Now that my trucks turn i love it but otherwise i would say go for 14".