Author Topic: Why do you still ride indys?  (Read 14242 times)

90sDamiano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -82
Why do you still ride indys?
« on: June 08, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »
With so many other options and the obvious ties to bigotry it makes me wonder why do people still use those trucks. If you still ride indys what is your reasoning behind it?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:41:16 PM by 90sDamiano »

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
Re: Why do you still ride indys?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 08:35:28 AM »
Is this a joke?

If you want a more mellow feel, a happy medium, then Indy's are the shizzle.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 08:39:57 AM »
Because I needed a pair of 8.75" trucks that would tighten up a long wheelbase and I wanted them low and hollow so hollow forged Indys fit the bill.

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »
With so many other options and the obvious ties to bigotry it blows my mind that people still use those trucks. If you still ride indys what is your reasoning behind it?

They work just as fine as any other popular truck brand, and Indys are a good looking truck (Especially with grooves.)
So they meet my needs in terms of function and appearance. I dont know how a piece of aluminum can be bigoted, but just because I use a specific product doesn't mean I subscribe to a certain political/social outlook. I am thinking about trying Aces after my Indys bite the dust though.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

Pastasash

• Rep: 79
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 08:58:37 AM »
While I have rode Indys for over a decade, with everything that has been happening lately I have begun to think about possibly making the switch to another truck company, but gonna wait to see if Indy responds at all to the idea of changing their logo and re write some of their history.

But to answer your question, I ride em cus I personally like longer/ wider trucks. I always loved how they looked too brand new and even when they get grooved down. They have a long history of sponsoring the best skaters out there, their marketing is great, and they have a pretty big following and have kinda been a staple in the skate world.

But I guess for me personally its been about their shapes and quality that Ive gotten used to with all my set ups that keeps me riding them. Helps that the Gonz has also been on the team for a long time too.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 09:22:38 AM »
I guess when I’m setting up a skateboard, my first thought isn’t “Which of these components is possibly racist?”
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:45:21 AM »
I guess when I’m setting up a skateboard, my first thought isn’t “Which of these components is possibly racist?”

haha exactly my thoughts. I respect the BLM movement and everything going on with the protests, etc. but if you like the product who gives a fuck. I guess I won't wear any shoes because 99% of them take advantage of cheap labor and bad working conditions over seas.

It's literally a witch hunt on social media. People and brands all pointing the finger at each other while we all should be working together.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 09:45:44 AM »
InDy bAd aCe GoOd

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
I don’t ride Indus but here is a legitimate answer.
“I ride the product that feels good under my feet”
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
I don't care about the symbols they just ride good

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 10:01:51 AM »
Geometry - turns well
Alloy - grinds well

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 10:47:09 AM »
Switched to venture quite a while ago, never going back

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
Switched to venture quite a while ago, never going back
Same here, tons of reasons to make the switch
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »
The one pair I have was recommended to me by the dude whose guest board I bought (brought it to the DMs like a goddamn man) so I went with it.  For future reference, I'll just get Thunders more than likely.  The new pivot cups in Indys are squeaky as hell anyway.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »
Useless wooden toy banter is a containment board  like /pol/, is to 4chan

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
Isn’t Fausto Vitello from Argentina? Didn’t learn English til he picked it up watching the giants.

Unless his dad is a Nazi that fled Germany after ww2 he’d be considered a person of color here in America

The iron cross is stolen from Christianity. The Indy cross, Catholicism specifically. In the 20th century the biggest group of people practicing Catholicism is Latin/brown people.

So now back to Fausto...I’m from Argentina I come to America, don’t speak English, don’t know the culture. I hear the giants I fall in love with the team, the city, and everything that comes with it. I meet the homie Eric Swenson whenever. They become business partners/friends. Then outta nowhere that sneaky white fucker Swenson gets these other whites together (a whole CLAN of white people! Think hooper x from chasing amy.) and they get this other white guy to draw them a logo. This white Nazi fucker sees the pope on the cover of time and then is like you know what? Fuck these brown people this is for Germany! That Nazi fucker Phillips makes a rounded iron cross and when someone calls him out he’s  gonna be like nahhhhhhh.....it’s not the same. Fuck Fausto and his brownies.

I’m just not buying it.

Skateboarding was not a business back then. They had a company which is a business I guess but I bet neither one thought they’d end up the way they did in the beginning.

Do you stick with this same Nazi fucker that betrayed you and start however many other companies? Probably not

Seems to me like you’re projecting your white guilt on to a successful brown persons legacy and trying to tear down all that he’s built over your cancel culture bullshit you Nazi cuck

Kidding about that last part but do you get my point?

Indys are the shit that’s why I ride them. Peroid.
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
InDy bAd aCe GoOd
[close]

Ace: picks up 1010 after being dropped from NHS
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
InDy bAd aCe GoOd
[close]
[close]

Ace: picks up 1010 after being dropped from NHS

I’m mainly on ace lately, and always have a few setups with venture. I’m pretty sure I saw something on here about the 1010 riding ace, maybe even getting ace support. And ace is made in China. Which sucks (not nearly as bad as ALM 1010 tho).
I’ve been on and off Indy my whole skate life. I probably skate the most consistent with them, but always felt like something else was better for some/certain things. I never liked the ubiquity. I have always hated the marketing. The symbolism is problematic to say the least. Indy comes off like bullies. Attracts a hangers on crowd of persons I’m not into supporting. At a certain point one should look in the mirror, if they notice what they are attracting, and at least question it, heavily. If their donation is true, that’s great. If they change the cross, also cool. Thought it was bogus how they went at dlx, maybe there is another side to the story. The hellride stuff is so tired.
Jesus. My ramble looks like Andy wrote it, and just started firing off some punctuation. I’m sorry.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
A few days ago i had this conversation with a friend, we concluded we still buy indys for reason that are similar to an abusive relationship where the couple keeps coming back to eachother. it used to be good, we have been skating it for years and already got used to all the bullshit and you know that when it works its great and feels so good,even though it usually end shitty every time. im used to the bullshit indys give me and im too afraid to commit to a different truck ever since i tried a set of thunders and hated them.
ever since indy switched to stage 11s each and every truck i had got messed up for different reasons, less axle slips than old indys, but the bushings blow up a 100% of the time, even when you replace them. my current set is about a year old and its on its third set of bushings and second set of pivot cups and im in need of a change again soon. i weigh 60kg and dont skate my trucks too loose, i usually keep the bolt flush with the top of the kingpin. i think something about the stage 11 geometry causes this to happen
one day i will have the courage to try aces or maybe even go back to krux,the last truck i had as a teenager before switching to indy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:52:44 AM by eranka »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 11:48:45 AM »
Because my current indys are not yet dusted. When they’re done I’ll consider replacing them with Ventures.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:32 PM »
A few days ago i had this conversation with a friend, we concluded we still buy indys for reason that are similar to domestic abuse cases where the woman comes back even though she knows the man is bad for her. it used to be good, we have been skating it for years and already got used to all the bullshit and you know that when it works its great and feels so good,even though it usually end shitty every time. im used to the bullshit indys give me and im too afraid to commit to a different truck ever since i tried a set of thunders and hated them.
ever since indy switched to stage 11s each and every truck i had got messed up for different reasons, less axle slips than old indys, but the bushings blow up a 100% of the time, even when you replace them. my current set is about a year old and its on its third set of bushings and second set of pivot cups and im in need of a change again soon. i weigh 60kg and dont skate my trucks too loose, i usually keep the bolt flush with the top of the kingpin. i think something about the stage 11 geometry causes this to happen
one day i will have the courage to try aces or maybe even go back to krux,the last truck i had as a teenager before switching to indy

Do you loosen the kingpin to break in your bushings?

I toss the stock bushings when I set them up the first time. With the replacement bushings I hand tighten the nut and then skate for an hour with my shit loose as fuck. Carving around and trying to Ollie or Slappy the best I can. Tighten the nut every 15 minutes or so and boom should be good forever. I’ve never had a problem with chipped/blown out bushings since I switched to the Indy bushings and learned about breaking bushings in like that

I weigh 185lbs/83kgs and ride with the nut flush too but people do not like riding my stuff cuz everything is loose as fuck

Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »
Expand Quote
A few days ago i had this conversation with a friend, we concluded we still buy indys for reason that are similar to domestic abuse cases where the woman comes back even though she knows the man is bad for her. it used to be good, we have been skating it for years and already got used to all the bullshit and you know that when it works its great and feels so good,even though it usually end shitty every time. im used to the bullshit indys give me and im too afraid to commit to a different truck ever since i tried a set of thunders and hated them.
[close]

Do you loosen the kingpin to break in your bushings?

I toss the stock bushings when I set them up the first time. With the replacement bushings I hand tighten the nut and then skate for an hour with my shit loose as fuck. Carving around and trying to Ollie or Slappy the best I can. Tighten the nut every 15 minutes or so and boom should be good forever. I’ve never had a problem with chipped/blown out bushings since I switched to the Indy bushings and learned about breaking bushings in like that

I weigh 185lbs/83kgs and ride with the nut flush too but people do not like riding my stuff cuz everything is loose as fuck

Entirely agree with the no ollie/no tricks program for breaking in trucks. (Slappies are a trick, do those, if you can, I’m terrible at them). But yeah, skating for transportation, carving, I usually leave everything as it comes for the first few days. I have heard the China indys have less good pivot cups, from a lot of people. I’ve given away all but two pairs of mine, early stage 11 159s(USA) and an hollow light set of 139s. The cast plate feels correct when skating. The forged feels fucked. Because I’m fried.

Banned from the room

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Now venture is my main truck. I even have a truck issue that I'm just riding out. It's I chose to ride an made in SF truck.

I don't care who rides for them. I love ace too. I ride 44s. I love the truck. I wish it was a US truck but it's not reality.
 I could care less if 1010 gets free trucks.

I had issues with Indys forever. Was always going back to thunders.

The stage 11 139 I got in 2016. That's a nice truck. The cross is gone in one maybe two sessions.

I was always thinking Venture thunder and Indy all came from Fausto and crew. I was just under the impression that Gwynne? Likely spelled that wrong only owns venture today and the rest went outside the country for manufacturing.

Is that wrong. I also doubt any of the ti trucks are fully us manufacturing.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 01:33:28 PM »
Tried other trucks and as much as I wanted to try something new I just skate better with indys. 20 years of muscle memory.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 01:46:06 PM »
Because they are one of the best trucks out there, in my opinion. The quality, functionality, and reliability have always been there for me. I've only ridden Indy for the last 10-11 years and I've been skating for 14.

I think the whole racist ideology tied to Indy is blown way out of proportion and they're not a racist company from what I've seen and researched. Just because I ride Indy doesn't mean I automatically support the people that have rode for them that were racist or pieces of shit, etc. And I think that applies to others who ride/rode Indys.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »
Because I needed a pair of 8.75" trucks that would tighten up a long wheelbase and I wanted them low and hollow so hollow forged Indys fit the bill.
how long of a wheelbase tho

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »
With so many other options and the obvious ties to bigotry it blows my mind that people still use those trucks. If you still ride indys what is your reasoning behind it?
just to annoy people like you

thelonelynow

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »
Now venture is my main truck. I even have a truck issue that I'm just riding out. It's I chose to ride an made in SF truck.

I don't care who rides for them. I love ace too. I ride 44s. I love the truck. I wish it was a US truck but it's not reality.

The stage 11 139 I got in 2016. That's a nice truck. The cross is gone in one maybe two sessions.

I was always thinking Venture thunder and Indy all came from Fausto and crew. I was just under the impression that Gwynne? Likely spelled that wrong only owns venture today and the rest went outside the country for manufacturing.

I mostly skate Indy right now because there is and has been rarely any other trucks in my local shop since last June. DLX rarely supplies many shops in Japan now (and raised prices substantially) when their shortages began happening last year and the pandemic seems to have just made it worse. Spitfires are really rare now and the cost was increased by nearly US $35.00 more than other wheel brands. I pay around US $55.00-60.00 for Sml, Oj or Bones and US $85.00 for Spitfires (when in stock). So I skate mostly Indy and Sml wheels now (which I really like). They have one set of ugly gray 54mm Spitfire Radials in stock I'm considering getting though, if they're not gone already and I can convince myself the price is worth it.

When I was researching to find a truck 100% manufactured and sourced from the US the only one I found was Tracker, which I have no interest in. According to a man named Reed at DLX he stated Ermico imports all forged baseplates and hollow kingpins for Thunders/Ventures pre-manufactured from China and they source their Aluminum, Steel and Titanium alloys for casting and axle manufacturing from China as well. So this doesn't seem like a USA made truck to me either since only the casting and assembly portion is done in the US with Chinese sourced materials. So Indy moving 100% to China doesn't really bother me anymore.

My shop here is mostly Dwindle and NHS products so trying to avoid Chinese materials is futile. I have also observed the casting on Chinese made Indys is cleaner and the axles are centered properly with no aluminum overspill onto the axles like I get on Thunders occasionally. Better stock bushings too, first Indys I didn't have to change bushings on immediately. I would still rather skate Thunders but yeah, I prefer to buy from the shop here and they just rarely have them and when they do get them, the common sizes are gone quickly and the prices now, wow! They have one set of Venture titaniums right now I was considering but they cost ¥13,500.00 (US $135.00) versus the Indy titanium costing ¥9,000.00 (US $90.00).

So to sum up my novel of a response. I mostly skate Indy because they're available, more affordable and while I prefer Thunder, the Indy Titaniums are a pretty good all purpose truck. I never enjoyed their marketing though and fortunately that cross symbol is scraped off within a few weeks (unless it's a cruiser). Oh and I did snag a set of Ace trucks, which are also rare (yet inexpensive) so I thought, why not? I've been cruising around on them trying to get the bushings to break-in but not having much luck. Not sure I'm going to like them but we'll see.

Sorry to go off topic some. I get carried away when it comes to trucks it seems.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:44:09 AM by thelonelynow »

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I mostly skate Indy right now because there is and has been rarely any other trucks in my local shop since last June. DLX rarely supplies many shops in Japan now (and raised prices substantially) when their shortages began happening last year and the pandemic seems to have just made it worse. Spitfires are really rare now and the cost was increased by nearly US $35.00 more than other wheel brands. I pay around US $55.00-60.00 for Sml, Oj or Bones and US $85.00 for Spitfires (when in stock). So I skate mostly Indy and Sml wheels now (which I really like). They have one set of ugly gray 54mm Spitfire Radials in stock I'm considering getting though, if they're not gone already and I can convince myself the price is worth it.

When I was researching to find a truck 100% manufactured and sourced from the US the only one I found was Tracker, which I have no interest in. According to a man named Reed at DLX he stated Ermico imports all forged baseplates and hollow kingpins for Thunders/Ventures pre-manufactured from China and they source their Aluminum, Steel and Titanium alloys for casting and axle manufacturing from China as well. So this doesn't seem like a USA made truck to me either since only the casting and assembly portion is done in the US with Chinese sourced materials. So Indy moving 100% to China doesn't really bother me anymore.

My shop here is mostly Dwindle and NHS products so trying to avoid Chinese materials is futile. I have also observed the casting on Chinese made Indys is cleaner and the axles are centered properly with no aluminum overspill onto the axles like I get on Thunders occasionally. Better stock bushings too, first Indys I didn't have to change bushings on immediately. I would still rather skate Thunders but yeah, I prefer to buy from the shop here and they just rarely have them and when they do get them, the common sizes are gone quickly and the prices now, wow! They have one set of Venture titaniums right now I was considering but they cost ¥135,000.00 (US $135.00) versus the Indy titanium costing ¥90,000.00 (US $90.00).

So to sum up my novel of a response. I mostly skate Indy because they're available, more affordable and while I prefer Thunder, the Indy Titaniums are a pretty good all purpose truck. I never enjoyed their marketing though and fortunately that cross symbol is scraped off within a few weeks (unless it's a cruiser). Oh and I did snag a set of Ace trucks, which are also rare (yet inexpensive) so I thought, why not? I've been cruising around on them trying to get the bushings to break-in but not having much luck. Not sure I'm going to like them but we'll see.

Sorry to go off topic some. I get carried away when it comes to trucks it seems.

The standard Thunder Trucks are made in the USA, in SF at Ermico still.