Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22741 times)

Ilya Oblomov

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2020, 05:53:42 AM »
I've heard it is hard as fuck to get a Vans account.

That's what I've heard as well. However, I know a shop in Orlando that has some serious "street cred" (we still use that term?) in the industry and was able to strong arm Vans into giving them an account despite a long-time account existing 2 miles away. Funny enough, they were able to set most of the terms of the account as well so they only carry the shoes they like and never have to deal with any trash shoes or minimums.

I don't like Vans, but I respect that they worked out a specific deal with a good shop that does a ton to support the local scene/culture.

They also refused to carry Nike...I wonder if they lost their adidas account?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2020, 06:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
From a business standpoint, selling/ shipping directly from their warehouses saves them thousands a year. Overall, it seems like retail stores are slowly disappearing anyway and focusing online so they're just following the trend.

I hate to say it but I haven't visited a local shop in atleast 5+ years. Only because there isn't one that isn't 40+ min west or east of me. I want to support but driving, sitting in traffic and then paying a premium just to support isn't worth it for me.

I do buy from a few shops online but then shipping costs are added in too meanwhile sites like tactics, ccs, zumiez, etc. offer free shipping for the most part. Also, buying directly from the brand website is usually cheaper too as they have sales often.

As we saw with mom and pop shops competing with Walmart, it's hard for small retail to survive unless they offer something different.
[close]

You realize that you're actually the problem that you're talking about, right? Not wanting to drive 40 minutes there and back is understandable but not buying from a legit skateshop that has an online store because you may have to pay $15 extra in shipping is lame. Don't say "I hate to say it but..." if you have the option to support but don't. Be honest and start your blurb with "I'm a cheap fuck and....."

You right. I'm a cheap fuck most of the time. Hence why I lurk the sale gear thread often. I mainly buy from shops online when I buy more than one item. Not worth it to pay $15 shipping for one deck but if I'm getting a deck, trucks and shoes then the cost is justified.

However, I do support local brands when I can. They're not in shops but atleast it's "contributing" to the scene a little bit.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Gnarly.

The problem is not only that Nike and Adidas only had superficial ties to the scene... but the "core" companies took us for granted. They assumed shit they had done in the past or the fact their owners were once skaters should account for their lazy attitudes towards the scene and their low quality price point shit.

I'm just not going to wear shoes anymore.
[close]

Agree with all of this. I was riding Lakai only but I had 3 pairs in a row that I suspected of treason (AKA bad quality). That and the sizing felt different on all 3 (it was the same model). This led me to buying the corporate brands.

Yup vans is especially guilty of getting away with making shitty shoes because some people think they have a core "pass." I've never had shoes come apart at the heel side of the sole other than with vans. The sole tread wears down the quickest out of every brand ivwe tried. I see kids with holes in the fucking sole for fucks sake, only with vans. People who buy vans are throwing their money away.

At the end of the day all I care about is being able to skate as much as I can, and if that means buying nike/Adidas/NB because the quality of their product and customer service is superior then that's what I'm going to do.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2020, 07:47:52 AM »
my small colorado mountain town local shop that has had an adidas account since 2010ish I believe, also got the boot. They've always been a supportive shop in the scene here ( they sell non skate related clothing as well , but have a big skate section and carry eS, Emerica, DC as well as NB , very small amount of Nike(no QS's) and Vans
does your shop have online ordering?

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »
It’s been talked about on here for years that these corpo brands will all bail on skateboarding again like they have In the past so hopefully these shops were prepared for this. Still sucks to hear considering adidas is viewed as one of the top 3 in skating right now and that’s what kids want. As of recent , Has adidas had mass a rider exodus yet?
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »
Can we make a list? Let me know if there are others. I just scrolled through all the skateshop instas I can find and didn't find much. So far I have seen these in this thread:

• Sixth Ave Skatepark (Nashville, TN)
  • One Up (Pittsburgh, PA
  • Solstice (New Bedford, MA)
  • Home Skateshop (Louisville, KY)
  • Urbane (Steamboat Springs, CO)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:46:36 AM by CossRooper »

YungJugg

• Rep: 228
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Aside from the Busenitz models Adidas is garbage. Nike discontinued the Koston 1 and made dunks unobtainable. They both might as well exit skateboarding because all they offer is hypebeast trash anymore anyways. Shalom.
[close]

the 3st.004, Tyshawn's, and Puig's are all great shoes IMO.

i know everyone like to shit on "corporate" shoe companies but adidas has had a skate team for over 20 years. its definitely still wack that they are pulling product from shops to save some $$$ when they definitely would still stay afloat without doing so. in no way am i in support of them doing this, but like mentioned earlier, if you shop goes under because nike/adidas pulls your account, your shop/scene is most likely wack.

tbh im just salty because i love adidas skate team / how the shoes perform

i like cupsouls that arent chunky and adidas absolutely kills that aspect.
[close]

I think this idea that if your shop goes under because you loose your adidas account then your shop sucks is bull shit. I think you guys have a big misunderstanding as to what kids are buying and what it takes to keep your doors open.

all the kids want is Nike/Adidas/Vans
[close]

im 20yo so you'd probably consider me a kid (which i am)

and youre right, we (my age group) pretty much only buys nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

but can you blame us? all of the dudes my generation fucks with ride for such companies and are supported by such companies. there often the same price or cheaper than "core" shoe companies, the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes. and "core" shoe companies dont produce footage as frequently as vans or nike etc.

you dont see kids my age wearing éS/osiris/etnies for a reason. We think they look fucking stupid, and they dont perform as well as the companies i listed above

We grew up in a era where skateboarding was/is mainstream and cool. not a underground subculture.

i have a lot of respect for companies such as emerica,lakai,és,etc. for paving the way for us, but at the end of the day we all wear what we feel comfortable in. Millenials/Gen Z just so happens to feel comfortable in Nike / Adidas or whatever "corporate" devil worshipping, child laboring companies shoes.

DC is still cool tho. We fuck with DC

i understand most will disagree being that this website is mostly older dudes, but this is just the way i see it. times are changing.

thank you for listening to my TED talk
[close]

This was always such a bullshit take. Advertising is what makes you think that. Either that or you're someone who works for one of these companies.
[close]

I agree if you’ve ever skated Vans you know that shit isn’t stronger than any other shoe. I’ve skated a few corpo shoes not one stands as as more durable than a core shoe. Cons uncomfortable got beat vans mediocre and her destroyed fast. 440 was the best (still back the 440) but sole/tread  died before the upper. Not saying these things don’t happen with core company’s but it’s 2020 they all last about the same. You just wanna look like your homies and you bought into the marketing. Own it.
[close]

sure ill own it.

like i said in my earlier post, i think most "core" shoe companies products look stupid. sue me, i like what i like. Most of my generation will tell you the same. in MY experience they didnt perform nearly as well either. not saying all "core" shoes suck, thats just my experience with the products.

ill say it again, the reason Gen Z/Millenial skater fuck with "corporate" shoes is because we think they look better, and we like to dress like the skaters we think are rad. just as you did back in your day. fads/style changes, most "core" companies havent excepted that change yet and are still living in the past

i totally understand the hate for "corporate" shoe companies, but i think a lot of it is just fucking pointless and comes from a stupid place.

these companies arent going anywhere anytime soon. skating is growing and will most likely continue to grow for the foreseeable future.
[close]

plus nike and adidas have made a ton of iconic shoes sometimes that’s a reason ppl like things
[close]

Louis Vuitton and Starbucks have made really iconic stuff. If they got into the skate game I'd buy all their shit because I'm a trendy jock.
[close]

hey man, its ur money not mine. if u wanna look like a trendy jock, you should be completely free to do so. thats why skating is so dope. YOU GET TO PICK UR STYLE. the idea that a skater has to dress a certain way is so fucking out dated. IMO thats  the " trendy jock" shit you speak of. Since when does skating have a fucking uniform? let people wear whatever they want. if Lucien wants to skate Louis V, let him. if Chris Cole wants to wear fallen, let him. you dont have to watch these peoples footage if you dont like it, and you certainly dont have to buy there products.

let the youth wear what they want and be happy for them. at the end of the day its their money not yours. not to mention companies like nike/adi/vans pay there riders amazing salaries. how can you be mad at that. oh no! a company that is paying skaters reasonably and allowing them to live comfortably !!!

also, when will the boomer skaters understand theres a generation gap, and drop the saltiness

like i said earlier. we grew up with skating being mainstream/cool. no one ever bullied us for skating or told us we were fags. if anything its the exact opposite, the skaters r probably the cool kids in school now. this is why companies like nike/adi/vans have come into skating. people r starting to realize just how fucking sweet skating is, and they want a piece of it. whether or not they "care" about skating is subjective. i understand that. but at the end of the day you know what every companies goal is? MONEY. core or not.

im not saying thats a good or bad thing, im just telling you the reality of it, and what my experience has been growing up post 2000

we also grew up with the internet, which allows us to watch whatever we want, whenever we want. and guess which companies have a a larger internet presence? nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

of course mindsets are going to change. the world is a lot different than it was 20+ years ago. we grew up in this shit

idk why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

if you like wearing "core" skate shoes, good for you ! im happy you've found a product that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. thats not always easy to do. likewise tho, dont shit on people who wear "corporate" skate shoes. they have there reasons just like you have yours.

im going to continue to wear adidas shoes, as i like to support there skate team which i think consists of great skaters. they also make a product which in my experience has been unparalleled to any other shoe company.

im sure your reason for wearing Lakai/éS/fallen, or whatever the fuck is exactly the same as my reason for wearing adidas.

Bruh you do not speak for a generation, stop with the “we” and “us” bullshit.

“the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes“

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
On one hand, I've been denouncing things like the strips or the swoosh for a while and saying they were just leeching off of skateboarding's awesomeness.

On the other hand, the economy has been wrecked for an entire year, it's hard to call out any company for tightening up their belt.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 93
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2020, 08:26:30 AM »

Bruh you do not speak for a generation, stop with the “we” and “us” bullshit.

As someone who is only a couple of years older and luckily knows a few kids that age who aren't complete idiots like this one, yeah stop it with the 'we'.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2020, 08:31:33 AM »
I just checked the shoe selection at my 2 locals that have shoes online; it’s all Nike, adidas,converse, new balance, and vans... and one or two pairs of lakais. I would like to support lakai or es/emerica but it’s kinda hard without taking it online, and even then pickins are slim.

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2020, 08:44:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Aside from the Busenitz models Adidas is garbage. Nike discontinued the Koston 1 and made dunks unobtainable. They both might as well exit skateboarding because all they offer is hypebeast trash anymore anyways. Shalom.
[close]

i know everyone like to shit on "corporate" shoe companies but adidas has had a skate team for over 20 years. its definitely still wack that they are pulling product from shops to save some $$$ when they definitely would still stay afloat without doing so. in no way am i in support of them doing this, but like mentioned earlier, if you shop goes under because nike/adidas pulls your account, your shop/scene is most likely wack.

[close]

I think this idea that if your shop goes under because you loose your adidas account then your shop sucks is bull shit. I think you guys have a big misunderstanding as to what kids are buying and what it takes to keep your doors open.

[close]

but can you blame us? all of the dudes my generation fucks with ride for such companies and are supported by such companies. there often the same price or cheaper than "core" shoe companies, the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes. and "core" shoe companies dont produce footage as frequently as vans or nike etc.

you dont see kids my age wearing éS/osiris/etnies for a reason. We think they look fucking stupid, and they dont perform as well as the companies i listed above

We grew up in a era where skateboarding was/is mainstream and cool. not a underground subculture.

i have a lot of respect for companies such as emerica,lakai,és,etc. for paving the way for us, but at the end of the day we all wear what we feel comfortable in. Millenials/Gen Z just so happens to feel comfortable in Nike / Adidas or whatever "corporate" devil worshipping, child laboring companies shoes.

i understand most will disagree being that this website is mostly older dudes, but this is just the way i see it. times are changing.

[close]

This was always such a bullshit take. Advertising is what makes you think that. Either that or you're someone who works for one of these companies.
[close]

I agree if you’ve ever skated Vans you know that shit isn’t stronger than any other shoe. I’ve skated a few corpo shoes not one stands as as more durable than a core shoe. Cons uncomfortable got beat vans mediocre and her destroyed fast. 440 was the best (still back the 440) but sole/tread  died before the upper. Not saying these things don’t happen with core company’s but it’s 2020 they all last about the same. You just wanna look like your homies and you bought into the marketing. Own it.
[close]

sure ill own it.

like i said in my earlier post, i think most "core" shoe companies products look stupid. sue me, i like what i like. Most of my generation will tell you the same. in MY experience they didnt perform nearly as well either. not saying all "core" shoes suck, thats just my experience with the products.

ill say it again, the reason Gen Z/Millenial skater fuck with "corporate" shoes is because we think they look better, and we like to dress like the skaters we think are rad. just as you did back in your day. fads/style changes, most "core" companies havent excepted that change yet and are still living in the past

i totally understand the hate for "corporate" shoe companies, but i think a lot of it is just fucking pointless and comes from a stupid place.

these companies arent going anywhere anytime soon. skating is growing and will most likely continue to grow for the foreseeable future.
[close]

plus nike and adidas have made a ton of iconic shoes sometimes that’s a reason ppl like things
[close]

Louis Vuitton and Starbucks have made really iconic stuff. If they got into the skate game I'd buy all their shit because I'm a trendy jock.

so do sony and apple etc is everyone who filmed vx and edits on a imac a trendy jock lhm r u david letterman how out of touch r u? nike and adidas have always had a huge presence in popular culture and obv with social media now more than ever and that will clearly overlap into skating and vice versa but don’t get it twisted the kosten 3 is a rip off of the jordan 12

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2020, 08:44:54 AM »
Expand Quote
my small colorado mountain town local shop that has had an adidas account since 2010ish I believe, also got the boot. They've always been a supportive shop in the scene here ( they sell non skate related clothing as well , but have a big skate section and carry eS, Emerica, DC as well as NB , very small amount of Nike(no QS's) and Vans
[close]
does your shop have online ordering?
yeah https://www.urbanesteamboat.com/ usually have a good supply of trucks and wheels as well , just got krooked boards in

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »
Can we make a list? Let me know if there are others. I just scrolled through all the skateshop instas I can find and didn't find much. So far I have seen these in this thread:

• One Up (Pittsburgh, PA

And also i will add that if it is <15 shops or whatever I think you can blame market contractions and a need to trim small accounts, and not some malicious scheme to dump core skateboarding. We are in a recession dudes.

This is coming from someone who has bought nothing except for state, lakai, and Last Resort now for 3+ years. I don't like Nike or Adidas but also I don't think everything is some kind of huge comic-book-villain strategy.

artskool

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »
Basically every company that can is transitioning their sales to direct to consumer. I can almost guarantee though that the fist waves of shops getting the axe are ones that are overly reliant on long credit terms, owe back bills, etc. If you're a supplier and shops need net 90 days+ to pay, they're basically not worth dealing with.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

[close]

[close]

[close]

hey man, its ur money not mine. if u wanna look like a trendy jock, you should be completely free to do so. thats why skating is so dope. YOU GET TO PICK UR STYLE. the idea that a skater has to dress a certain way is so fucking out dated. IMO thats  the " trendy jock" shit you speak of. Since when does skating have a fucking uniform? let people wear whatever they want. if Lucien wants to skate Louis V, let him. if Chris Cole wants to wear fallen, let him. you dont have to watch these peoples footage if you dont like it, and you certainly dont have to buy there products.

let the youth wear what they want and be happy for them. at the end of the day its their money not yours. not to mention companies like nike/adi/vans pay there riders amazing salaries. how can you be mad at that. oh no! a company that is paying skaters reasonably and allowing them to live comfortably !!!

also, when will the boomer skaters understand theres a generation gap, and drop the saltiness

like i said earlier. we grew up with skating being mainstream/cool. no one ever bullied us for skating or told us we were fags. if anything its the exact opposite, the skaters r probably the cool kids in school now. this is why companies like nike/adi/vans have come into skating. people r starting to realize just how fucking sweet skating is, and they want a piece of it. whether or not they "care" about skating is subjective. i understand that. but at the end of the day you know what every companies goal is? MONEY. core or not.

im not saying thats a good or bad thing, im just telling you the reality of it, and what my experience has been growing up post 2000

we also grew up with the internet, which allows us to watch whatever we want, whenever we want. and guess which companies have a a larger internet presence? nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

of course mindsets are going to change. the world is a lot different than it was 20+ years ago. we grew up in this shit

if you like wearing "core" skate shoes, good for you ! im happy you've found a product that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. thats not always easy to do. likewise tho, dont shit on people who wear "corporate" skate shoes. they have there reasons just like you have yours.

im going to continue to wear adidas shoes, as i like to support there skate team which i think consists of great skaters. they also make a product which in my experience has been unparalleled to any other shoe company.

im sure your reason for wearing Lakai/éS/fallen, or whatever the fuck is exactly the same as my reason for wearing adidas.

Exactly. You're the type of person who wouldn't skate if it wasn't cool, i.e., a trendy jock. I can criticize these companies as much as I want. Why do you corporate guys get so worked up when people point out some of the lame aspects of these companies? Talk about getting defensive. You wrote an entire wall of barely coherent text in response to a few sentences. The only point you seem to be making is that you don't care about skateboarding culture and you prefer corporate brands because they look cooler. That's all you had to say. Instead you subjected us all to a page from your diary.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
Dayum

thot juice

« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
sal literally wrote 23 on his shoes and y’all think u core

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2020, 09:44:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Most of the legacy core shoe brands are tired and should either be scrapped or hire someone who isn’t suck in 2008 to do their designs
[close]

fr seriously. i want all these "core shoe guys", to go to lakais website and tell me with with a straight face they think their designs are modern and updated with the times. you wouldnt catch me dead in anything they make but the carrols. not to mention their team is fucking wack.

https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/owen-vlk-nico-cream-leather-ms4200232a03
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/atlantic-jade-black-suede-ms3200082b00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/riley-2-vs-honey-suede-ms2200092a00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/evo-millard-multi-print-canvas-ms2200250b03

im not wearing anything endorsed by Nico Hiraga, Riley Hawk, or Stevie Perez.

pacheco, bannerot, and yonnie r cool tho.

not to mention ur paying the same price for a pair of lakais as you would for a pair of nike/adi/vans etc.

And ?

Also they look deadly. I've loads of lakais and they all look great.

Look dude if you don't like wearing skate shoes that's fine. Don't kid yourself that your doing anyone any good wearing nike sb.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »
Nike SB/Cons/Adidas are going to phase out of the shops and focus on direct to consumer and also offering their SB footwear at their own stores and outlets.

Vans are doing the same but they will stay forever with skate shops and offer only the "Pro" and "Signature" footwear options.  which is already happening... There's a Vans store in nearly every city now and their sales are fucking MASSIVE

Now would be the time for the actual skateboard native footwear brands to make a push for leveling out the market share for skate footwear

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2020, 10:10:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Exactly. You're the type of person who wouldn't skate if it wasn't cool, i.e., a trendy jock. I can criticize these companies as much as I want. Why do you corporate guys get so worked up when people point out some of the lame aspects of these companies? Talk about getting defensive. You wrote an entire wall of barely coherent text in response to a few sentences. The only point you seem to be making is that you don't care about skateboarding culture and you prefer corporate brands because they look cooler. That's all you had to say. Instead you subjected us all to a page from your diary.

Exactly. This dude doesn’t care about skateboard culture and history. Which I perceive is very important.

I’m not sure if this kid skates well or not, but I definitely agree with Phelps that it blows because:

“even the kooks rip now.”

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Nike has never cared about skaters. Even look at the current state of their skate shoes. It's virtually impossible to get a pair of Dunks without knowing someone or severely overpaying in 2020.
[close]

From a supply and demand stance, Nike actually blows it. Completely selling out of a product is not always a great thing. It can mean your prices are too low. 

Consider the fact that when they release a Dunk, it immediately sells out and then hits the re-sale market at higher price. Is it just me or is it crazy to think that a consumer can turn around and make a profit on something they just bought? Shouldn’t Nike be smart enough to figure out how to make that money?
supply and demand is kind of outdated as a concept for niche items. by constantly having the supply to meet the demand, you play yourself out of the current market. the market wants scarcity. that’s why albums have small vinyl runs, it’s why supreme makes limited runs of t-shirts and it’s why nike makes limited runs of shoes. resell is the motivator on purchasing at this point, not functionality or ownership. nike has a bunch of simple models of shoes that sit on shelves forever so you can get an average sneaker, but anything with any sort of artistry is going to have implied scarcity as the driving force

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »
Expand Quote

• One Up (Pittsburgh, PA
[close]

And also i will add that if it is <15 shops or whatever I think you can blame market contractions and a need to trim small accounts, and not some malicious scheme to dump core skateboarding. We are in a recession dudes.

This is coming from someone who has bought nothing except for state, lakai, and Last Resort now for 3+ years. I don't like Nike or Adidas but also I don't think everything is some kind of huge comic-book-villain strategy.

Minus Skateshop in Carmel Indiana

Solstice and One Up have to be pretty big accounts, Idk about the other ones but this does seem like a direct to consumer ordeal to me

thot juice

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2020, 10:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Exactly. This dude doesn’t care about skateboard culture and history. Which I perceive is very important.

I’m not sure if this kid skates well or not, but I definitely agree with Phelps that it blows because:

“even the kooks rip now.”

naw we agree history & culture is very important
https://images.app.goo.gl/bU2m9o6Fn9QPw1Wa9

trashparty

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i started skating because of a mcdonalds toy. so chut up. u and i skate for the same exact reason. because we think its the coolest fucking thing in the world. get off your high horse. ill be skating til my body physically cannot handle it anymore and then some.

you arent even arguing about shoes anymore, youre just getting defensive because your realizing the points that ive made above are all valid, and u dont know how to address them.

as far as "skateboarding culture" goes. it can get fucked. yup, yall r gonna hate me for that one. skateboarding should be for anyone that wants to participate in it, not some "cool club" that only the "cool kids" get to participate in and anyone who goes against there "cool kid" rulebook is a kook. how fucking dumb is that. that to me is the "jock shit" you speak of.

alot of us found solitude in skateboarding because it got as away from all the jock shit. to me theres nothing more "jock" than screaming somebody out of the park because they dont fit the guidelines of a"core skateboarder" or accidentally got in your way. this inclusiveness is the thing i hate most about skateboarders.

Imagine thinking "that guys a kook because he's wearing (insert shoe brand here)" thats essentially the mindset you have perpetuated to me.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »
Chuck Ramone off the top rope with a metal chair!!!

I get what this kid is saying, but it's funny because he hasn't seen it happen before.
I remember when Nike bought Hurley, and also tried to get into surfing, snowboarding, BMX, etc. Imitating the success of Nike SB with Nike 6.0.
Then they pulled out of all those the second it wasn't profitable.
Now they are doing the same thing as we speak. Due to a virus that has accelerated the death of brick and mortar retail, which would occur, just down the road.

Is the goal of all companies money?
Is the goal of these companies to become an important aspect of growth and security of the industry?

Obviously we all want to turn a profit, but what was the motivation for entering said space?
Or perhaps I'm looking at it through my activist tainted millennial goggles, the gen Z may be more jaded and don't care. "companies are gonna fuck us regardless might as well buy the shoe that has the most clout"

I may be off base here but when we are stuck in a capitalistic society, the dollar is the best vote.

no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2020, 10:45:27 AM »
" u and i skate for the same exact reason. because we think its the coolest fucking thing in the world"

Uh you don't skate for fun?
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Glurmpz

« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Most of the legacy core shoe brands are tired and should either be scrapped or hire someone who isn’t suck in 2008 to do their designs
[close]

fr seriously. i want all these "core shoe guys", to go to lakais website and tell me with with a straight face they think their designs are modern and updated with the times. you wouldnt catch me dead in anything they make but the carrols. not to mention their team is fucking wack.

https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/owen-vlk-nico-cream-leather-ms4200232a03
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/atlantic-jade-black-suede-ms3200082b00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/riley-2-vs-honey-suede-ms2200092a00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/evo-millard-multi-print-canvas-ms2200250b03

Griffin Gass?

Or maybe you're more into Alec Majerus, Benny Fairfax, Nestor Judkins, Jack Fardell and Claus Bohms? Lol. Adidas has like, 2000 people on their team. Pretty easy to find unpopular skaters on their roster too.

Just be honest man - you don't care about the culture of skateboarding, you do it because it's popular. If all your Nike and Adidas wearing friends quit to play sports, you probably would too so that you kept doing what was perceived as cool.

When I look for a skate shoe, modern and technical is not what I'm looking for. I want a classic, simple looking shoe with minimal branding. Last thing I want is some giant sports logo on literally every model. Lots of people want the same thing.

trashparty

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
" u and i skate for the same exact reason. because we think its the coolest fucking thing in the world"

Uh you don't skate for fun?

nah just purely for tik tok followers bro.

of course i do. its the funnest thing on the planet thats what makes it so god damn cool

edit:grammar

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
This thread feels like 2009 all over again. I know for me and my friends, (early-mid-20's, most of us skating since the late aughts) most of us skate either vans or nike. I've skated a few pairs of nike recently after skating almost exclusively vans for the last 2 years or so and let me say, they're fucking comfy. They're just more comfortable than vans. Blazer lows are absolutely without question the perfect shoe for me. Maybe it's just my foot, but my friends say the same thing.

Shoes are tough, cause they aren't like clothes or boards. They're super dependent on quality, comfort and consistency, and these massive brands can provide that. It sucks, yes. Watching iconic brands that I grew up with flounder at the feet of the swoosh and the three stripes was hard, but they had their own fuckups that brought them there too. Yeah, the big 3 didn't help, but it's not entirely their fault. The hardest to see go was Huf. Great, unique enough designs, rad team, rad flow program.

Anyways, I'm rambling, this does suck, but I don't see nike or adidas pulling a Nike Snowboarding on us. We're far less niche than that. Anyone can buy and wear skate shoes, but you can't say the same for snowboard boots.

trashparty

« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Griffin Gass?

Or maybe you're more into Alec Majerus, Benny Fairfax, Nestor Judkins, Jack Fardell and Claus Bohms? Lol. Adidas has like, 2000 people on their team. Pretty easy to find unpopular skaters on their roster too.

Just be honest man - you don't care about the culture of skateboarding, you do it because it's popular. If all your Nike and Adidas wearing friends quit to play sports, you probably would too so that you kept doing what was perceived as cool.

When I look for a skate shoe, modern and technical is not what I'm looking for. I want a classic, simple looking shoe with minimal branding. Last thing I want is some giant sports logo on literally every model. Lots of people want the same thing.

you make a decent point. however 90% of my fav skaters r on one of the big 3

im never quitting skating so fuck you. its the only thing in this shit world of school shootings, viruses, fascist presidents, etc,  that brings me joy. ive paid my dues. broken bones, concussions, missing teeth. get off your high horse. i love this shit to death

and lastly, taste is subjective. alot of "corporate" shoe companies make minimalist shit too ya know.