Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22745 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2020, 09:48:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Here's the back of me shopping at DLX in 2011. Dunno if you can tell but I was on a shopping spree

[close]
You kinda look like Dylan from behind

You should see my very Dylanesque kickflips

Hefe43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 175
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2020, 11:15:29 AM »
Things I learned on slap...trash party was cool when he picks up trash at the skatepark, steals trash cans, and laughs at cops.

Things I also learned on slap...trash party isn’t as cool as we all thought. Defending the honor of corporations, speaking for a whole generation, and then admitting he’s a trendy look

Knowing is half the battle
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »
Hardgood sales are completely bananas and there's a six page thread crying about shoes......
shoes are how shops make ends meet, hardgoods dont have good margins. especially when shops have success with brands that sell well, then get told to kick rocks of course people will bring it up.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2020, 11:41:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Lots of solid points. I've lived in several large cities over the years, and out of all of them, only one shop (35th North) ever felt inviting. Cal's Pharmacy, DLX shop, and others have always been headed by egotistical, clichish chaps. To say that they deserve people's hard-earned bread-n-butter despite their own selfish tendencies is the opposite of what skateboarding claims to be.
[close]

This is parenthetical to the main discussion here, but if your DLX experience was in the past 19 years then I offer my sincerest apologies; that is the opposite of what I’ve strove for with the place. I’m as far from a “cool guy” as it gets.

Definitely a fan of 35th as well; Tony rules.
[close]
The DLX shop is gold in my book; they even treat my toddler with the same respect accorded any other local.
They can have my skate dollars.

Same, DLX guys have always been cool to me?

Pre pandemic they were super helpful and friendly guys, always hooked it up for me and mine.

Probably just caught someone on a bad day.

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2020, 12:15:51 PM »
If you aren’t just generally nicer to toddlers then your a real piece of shit

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
Regarding OMSK's post about all companies not having your back and not owing anyone shit, I get what you're saying but that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. Now I can't speak for any other brand outside of Emerica or the other Sole Tech brands but Sole Tech is ran and operated by skaters. Not everyone cares about that anymore which is totally okay but I was lucky enough to have 2 local shops growing up where they were both places any skater could feel welcomed at to just hangout be a total skate rat. Skate shops mean a lot to me and are the foundation of the skate industry in my opinion and as a skate company we do what we can to give back to the shops because we do give a shit regardless if we "owe" anyone anything or not. Sure, we don't have the same resources as the corporate brands but we still do what we can by sending gear to shops when they've been looted or had some sort of disaster to get back on their feet or help sponsor local contests/events and don't make shops order any sort of minimums or force them into ordering certain models. Working with shops is an equal partnership and always will be on our end. Even though we need to make money to stay afloat and keep doing cool things, we're in it to give back to the skate community whether it's putting out solid videos, adding new riders, doing tours to skate and hangout with local scenes, etc.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »
That photo of DLX looks like it was shot yesterday. I don't think much has changed since then but I haven't been inside for a while.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
Here's the back of me shopping at DLX in 2011. Dunno if you can tell but I was on a shopping spree

"holler if you need anything"
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2020, 01:24:27 PM »
can’t believe in 7 pages no one has considered that people outside of skateboarding occasionally purchase things from skate shops and the likelihood of an “outsider” sale is boosted by having adidas, a type of shoe regular people wear

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »
My least favourite thing about slap is how fucking brown noisy the place gets when an industry head pops up.

It's fucking painful.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »
That photo of DLX looks like it was shot yesterday. I don't think much has changed since then but I haven't been inside for a while.

My wife took a pic of me in there because she said I looked like a kid in a toys store for the first time (I was 35 here lol). If  memory serves correctly, I bought a 7.81 anti hero eagle, Krooked shirt. Spitfire shirt, ah shirt, ah hoodie, dlx shirt, dlx hoodie, ah hat, some mags, Real DVD and some mags for the plane ride.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2261
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2020, 03:29:30 PM »
If you aren’t just generally nicer to toddlers then your a real piece of shit
You've obviously never met my toddler; li'l dude can be a real jerk!  ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My wife took a pic of me in there because she said I looked like a kid in a toys store for the first time (I was 35 here lol). If  memory serves correctly, I bought a 7.81 anti hero eagle, Krooked shirt. Spitfire shirt, ah shirt, ah hoodie, dlx shirt, dlx hoodie, ah hat, some mags, Real DVD and some mags for the plane ride.
Were the mags for the plane ride different than the aforementioned mags?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2020, 04:35:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I've heard it is hard as fuck to get a Vans account.
[close]

That's what I've heard as well. However, I know a shop in Orlando that has some serious "street cred" (we still use that term?) in the industry and was able to strong arm Vans into giving them an account despite a long-time account existing 2 miles away. Funny enough, they were able to set most of the terms of the account as well so they only carry the shoes they like and never have to deal with any trash shoes or minimums.

I don't like Vans, but I respect that they worked out a specific deal with a good shop that does a ton to support the local scene/culture.

They also refused to carry Nike...I wonder if they lost their adidas account?

Catalyst?

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Were the mags for the plane ride different than the aforementioned mags?

Ha woops. Also he told me that Julien and Andy were in there the day before

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »
1st, fuck adidas and corpo shoes... Vans are alright I guess.

2nd, the kid working at DLX about 6 months ago, won't dime him out, but my buddy asked about wheelbase like the old kook he is and the kid said "That shit doesn't matter, it's all the same." LOL.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »
Expand Quote
When I was an impressionable kid, the guys in my local 'core' shop outright told me how much better quality the Janoski's and Bruins were over the emericas/etnies/lakais I was looking at. "emericas rip like soggy cardboard etc."

I bought the Janoski's and they loved it. Now I clearly see how they were trying to upsell and get me to spend my birthday money on higher price point shoes. Well, it worked, so who's fault is it I haven't bought emericas since?
[close]

perhaps yours for not trying other shoes and making that decision for yourself? I dunno, its different when you're a kid

it kinda sounds similar to the "independents are the best trucks" dude that has never ridden any other truck in his life

I always remember sb's were fairly pricey, and I only ever got sale shoes from the local shop growing up, and any time i spotted an Emerica, Lakai, or eS shoebox in the sale section, i'd immediately gravitate towards those versus whatever other SB's or other shoes were in that sale section.

I mean sure, the buck stops with me in what I spend my money on. However as a kid those words said about emerica, coming from older shop owner/employee, always haunted our group of 12yo skate rats anyway.

The point I was trying to get across is that it's ridiculous for people in this thread to have a go at what shoes younger people wear when surely it's the 'industry gate keepers' at the time who let everything crumble. For kids today it's not even a valid argument.

I'm in my mid 20s now and quite frankly although i'm huge fans of theirs, I couldn't care less if Rick & Mike are no longer making huge bucks slanging inferior shoes to skaters, I feel no real connection to the brand as a UK skater. Same with emerica, I couldn't name one UK skater emerica picked up in years. Throughout my years skating Nike + Adidas + Vans have done more for UK skating than any other company by twofold - I'm aware that's due to crazy budgets but unfortunately that's where the youth's connection with these brands stems from: skateparks, comps, videos, events. Seeing a socal emerica-figgy-looking skater dude in the uk would almost be comical. By the time I was old enough to fully understand the whole 'don't buy corpo brands' argument skateshops were already experiencing Nike forcing masses of 'dead' shoe models on them and they were trying to hard sell them again asap. It's all just extremely messy, or extremely calculated from wherever you look at it.

Could just be a purely uk thing, I know nearly everyone by me doesn't even think twice about it anymore.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"holler if you need anything"

“Have fun on that thing” 😬
SPB!

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2020, 06:17:09 PM »
1st, fuck adidas and corpo shoes... Vans are alright I guess.

2nd, the kid working at DLX about 6 months ago, won't dime him out, but my buddy asked about wheelbase like the old kook he is and the kid said "That shit doesn't matter, it's all the same." LOL.

I’ll be sure to administer swift punishment ;)
SPB!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2020, 07:35:19 PM »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Hardgood sales are completely bananas and there's a six page thread crying about shoes......
[close]
shoes are how shops make ends meet, hardgoods dont have good margins. especially when shops have success with brands that sell well, then get told to kick rocks of course people will bring it up.

The two most successful shops here (Vancouver) have done just fine with no NIKE, Coverse or Adidas.... There's other ways to make money......

Sightunseen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2020, 08:35:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've heard it is hard as fuck to get a Vans account.
[close]

That's what I've heard as well. However, I know a shop in Orlando that has some serious "street cred" (we still use that term?) in the industry and was able to strong arm Vans into giving them an account despite a long-time account existing 2 miles away. Funny enough, they were able to set most of the terms of the account as well so they only carry the shoes they like and never have to deal with any trash shoes or minimums.

I don't like Vans, but I respect that they worked out a specific deal with a good shop that does a ton to support the local scene/culture.

They also refused to carry Nike...I wonder if they lost their adidas account?
[close]

Catalyst?

I don’t think so...
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2020, 09:46:17 PM »
I'm taking a break from the stripes and the swoosh for a bit. Couple weeks ago I wrote something about why it might feel nicer to support the smaller shoe brands considering the current state of the world...

https://skatelier.substack.com/p/vibrations-from-deep-in-the-sole

wheee!

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2020, 10:19:44 PM »
I'm taking a break from the stripes and the swoosh for a bit. Couple weeks ago I wrote something about why it might feel nicer to support the smaller shoe brands considering the current state of the world...

I really wish they'd make the Last Resort shoes in a 13, my buddy got a pair and they look so nice.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

boards are now $100 in canada, wheels around $65? somebody up here is making some cash off of hardgoods now.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The two most successful shops here (Vancouver) have done just fine with no NIKE, Coverse or Adidas.... There's other ways to make money......

Ya just sell vans and have one of your co-owners be rick Mccrank.

Glurmpz

« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2020, 12:17:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

boards are now $100 in canada, wheels around $65? somebody up here is making some cash off of hardgoods now.

That's cause wholesale went up. Decks used to hover in the mid $40 dollar to mid $50 dollar range for wholesale from distros, but now most have crept up close to $60 with some being even more than that. Add tax and shipping (not even bringing overhead like paying employees and rent into the picture) and you're looking at $60 - $70 cost to the shop. Most shops include grip too so there's another $3 or $4 bucks per deck. That doesn't leave much of a margin. The price increase came from the actual brands raising their prices, so the distributors raised theirs.

It would be sick if it worked for shops to buy directly from brands but the whole point of distribution is shops don't have to worry about customs for every product they buy and you can get a lot of things in one place. Unfortunately, being in Canada, it drives up the price of things even more.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2020, 12:22:31 AM »

Racists adopting NB as their shoes is not the same thing as “new balance having ties to the white supremacy movement.” Come on man.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • Get bent
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2020, 03:55:54 AM »

You wrote this dribble?? Quit. Do something else bro, this was the worst fluffy, pointless dribble I’ve ever read
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2020, 05:08:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Racists adopting NB as their shoes is not the same thing as “new balance having ties to the white supremacy movement.” Come on man.
The head of New Balance pumped almost $400,000 into Trump’s campaign, as well.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.