Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 20433 times)

804zerep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2022, 10:03:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey folks, since getting sober in 2020 by getting back into skateboarding after 13 years as an alcoholic, I also got back into stand up comedy after a 5 year alcohol induced absence.

This past year I have gotten back on the road to building a career in stand up comedy and I am happy to say I have been having a lot more success now that I am sober.

I stopped skateboarding when I started drinking at age 16 and I have spent most of my adult life drunk and after getting back into skateboarding as a sober adult. I look at skateboarding a lot different now. I don't look at skateboarding as a sport, It's more as an art, the world is our canvas and the skateboard is our paintbrush.

Skateboarding saved my life and I am forever grateful for that, and I think what makes skateboarding so special is the incredibly supportive community. Most skaters cheer the success of each other, when someone lands something they have been working on everyone is happy to see them finally accomplish their goal. That is very special and is actually pretty rare in most other areas of life and feel fortunate to have grown up with such a community.

I just saw this thread and thought I'd leave a post with some of my stand up comedy for anyone who is interested in supporting a fellow skate bro working on accomplishing a goal. (a like, comment, subscribe, or follow goes a long way!)

I hate to be this douche asking people to follow me but unfortunately social media platforms are a big part of having a career in comedy now days so here I am.

Here's a clip of me making a few 8 ball pool jokes while repping EMERICA x CREATURE on the stage of the San Francisco Punchline.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2fNOQxwDn3s?feature=share

I am working on building a Youtube channel with stand up comedy, skateboarding, and shooting pool videos. You can check out some of the other videos from my channel here.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2EkYgWgeoAa6S62nFq9XA

Thanks for taking the time to read this thing and if you took the time to watch some of my videos and support further, thank you so much for your support!

-Leo
[close]

Stand up is an incredibly difficult pursuit, so congratulations on your hard work! You look really comfortable on stage and your material is well thought out. Keep on keeping on!

Shout out to all of you who actually do standup as well!

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and taking the time to check out some of my videos!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2022, 06:39:17 PM »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2022, 05:30:40 AM »
I watched Ari Shaffir's "Jew" and it was so boring and un-funny I had to finish it in three separate chunks. I laughed twice, maybe three times. But everywhere I look (reddit, YT comments) people are saying it's the best special of the year, a masterpiece, totally great... And I really don't get it? It feels like a bunch of Jewish people are on a mission to talk this special up or are astroturfing because a fellow Jew put it out, but the whole thing fucking stunk. Have any of you watched it?

Going to see Joe List in January, over the past few months I've become a Tuesgay and am very much looking forward to the show

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2022, 06:00:02 AM »
I watched Ari Shaffir's "Jew" and it was so boring and un-funny I had to finish it in three separate chunks. I laughed twice, maybe three times. But everywhere I look (reddit, YT comments) people are saying it's the best special of the year, a masterpiece, totally great... And I really don't get it? It feels like a bunch of Jewish people are on a mission to talk this special up or are astroturfing because a fellow Jew put it out, but the whole thing fucking stunk. Have any of you watched it?

Going to see Joe List in January, over the past few months I've become a Tuesgay and am very much looking forward to the show

Ari came to Oslo with the "Jew" show back in 2018. I won four tickets in a contest arranged by the booking agency. Sooo fucking happy I didn't spend any money on it, because god damn that shit was awful. Ended up leaving before it was over. I've seen all the praise he has gotten after the recent release and I don't understand it either.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 08:56:13 AM by PistachiYo »

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2022, 08:15:52 AM »

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2022, 07:15:00 PM »

No offense meant.  I thought this had moments but feel like she's not REALLY funny.  Definitely doing her thing, but I feel like there are some great female comedians lapping her.  Here's one of my fave's.

<iframe width="950" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pckwUmQt1Oo" title="Amy Miller: Ham Mouth - Full Special" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also haven't seen mention of Jamel Johnson.  He's hilarious and also has a funny NBA podcast called Air Buds

<iframe width="950" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kVHkmyeiDqE" title="Losing Weight for Sex Reasons - Jamel Johnson - Stand-Up Featuring" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2022, 07:39:49 PM »
Was really bummed when Andrew Schulz had Ari on flagrant and wanted him to talk about kanye. Noone one in flagrant crew called him out, just pandering a lot, doesnt bert still hate him for dosing him around his kids

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2023, 05:09:17 PM »
The more and more I think about it, Sasha Baron Cohen is, in a comedic sense,  one of the best things out and its not even close:

https://youtu.be/vGPAVMqmZKk?t=83

Never forget:

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2023, 06:39:33 PM »
The more and more I think about it, Sasha Baron Cohen is, in a comedic sense,  one of the best things out and its not even close:

https://youtu.be/vGPAVMqmZKk?t=83

agreed. there are tons of funny stand ups and comedic actors but there’s something about sbc that elevates him above the rest .. he may be the funniest person alive right now
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2023, 06:56:30 PM »
I find Ari Shaffir off-putting and kinda unlikeable in most interviews and stuff I've seen him in, but I thought his new special was pretty good actually

Jordan Jensen is my newest stand up crush, with they would add her full time to TAfS

Sorry it's a Corden clip, but good for her for getting the exposure

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2023, 07:40:26 PM »
I find Ari Shaffir off-putting and kinda unlikeable in most interviews and stuff I've seen him in, but I thought his new special was pretty good actually

Jordan Jensen is my newest stand up crush, with they would add her full time to TAfS

Sorry it's a Corden clip, but good for her for getting the exposure

Jordan Jenson is funny as all hell
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2023, 08:04:42 PM »
Not that it needs sharing but as I'm rewatching Shane Gillis's special I just need to link again

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2023, 08:08:15 PM »
Not that it needs sharing but as I'm rewatching Shane Gillis's special I just need to link again

Ha! I just put on the latest MSSP! Nothing like falling asleep to Shane's voice *sighs romantically*

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2023, 07:33:30 AM »
Sam Moril is my go to right now.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2023, 08:19:51 AM »
Im catching Bobby Lee next month and Ari Shaffir later on in San José if anyone else is going.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2023, 08:42:17 AM »
Sam Moril is my go to right now.

I love his dry, almost monotonous voice. His delivery is spot on and could make the crowd laugh by sneezing then saying "excuse me" in his low register.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2023, 01:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha! I just put on the latest MSSP! Nothing like falling asleep to Shane's voice *sighs romantically*

mssp is my favorite comedy podcast right now ..

im not a bert kry fan but he’s having a show in feb with mark normand and shane gillis that i just bought tickets to .. excited about that
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2023, 02:09:26 PM »
i think i like comedy but i havent watched any since premium blend and whenever i see it i turn away in disgust

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2023, 08:10:03 AM »
i really love comedy, been a life long fan every since seeing eddie murphy delirious when i was a kid. my wife and i go see shows pretty often, it's our favorite date. i'm guessing my age is showing or something though because i've been watching a lot of the stuff posted here and other than SBC, didn't laugh at all. maybe comedy is super diverse now. shows we've see over the last few years

- chappel
- amy schumer
- sienfeld
- chris rock
- bill burr

got tickets for louis ck

it was interesting to take my wife to bill burr, she went in finding him annoying and came out saying it was one of her favorite shows of all time.

i think the issue might be that i like story teller type comedians except sienfield and seems like a lot of the stuff shared here is more self depreciating and observational.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2023, 09:47:39 AM »
After enjoying this I'm gonna buy some tickets for Sam Morril

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2023, 02:22:13 PM »
i really love comedy, been a life long fan every since seeing eddie murphy delirious when i was a kid. my wife and i go see shows pretty often, it's our favorite date. i'm guessing my age is showing or something though because i've been watching a lot of the stuff posted here and other than SBC, didn't laugh at all. maybe comedy is super diverse now. shows we've see over the last few years

- chappel
- amy schumer
- sienfeld
- chris rock
- bill burr

got tickets for louis ck

it was interesting to take my wife to bill burr, she went in finding him annoying and came out saying it was one of her favorite shows of all time.

i think the issue might be that i like story teller type comedians except sienfield and seems like a lot of the stuff shared here is more self depreciating and observational.

So you didn't laugh at all when watching the Sane Gillis special?

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2023, 08:28:36 PM »
Tom Papa has a thing on Netflix. Very anti-Pug. Do not recommend, although I typically like his stuff.

Never forget:

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2023, 02:16:55 AM »
No I prefer to laugh sitting down thank you though.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2023, 07:38:57 PM »

@Sleazy my G, if you don't like this, I would be surprised.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 02:28:51 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2023, 11:14:57 PM »

Never forget:

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2023, 04:05:43 AM »
Dunno how much of the australian humour will translate but i absolutely love this guy atm

Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2023, 09:10:06 PM »
Stavros is definitely one of the best at crowd work

Never forget:

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2023, 02:53:17 PM »

David Gborie is SO good.  Saw him at a live AFE show a couple years back and have been a fan ever since.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2023, 07:00:10 PM »

Never forget:

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2023, 09:41:38 AM »
Saw the king himself Shane Gillis last night and it was unbelievably great. Had to buy resale tickets over 100 bucks each but absolutely worth it, I encourage anyone else to do the same if he comes to your city