Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 67934 times)

turbo 2.0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 52
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1200 on: April 10, 2023, 11:28:50 PM »
October was the last time I was skating steadily and all my old injuries started acting up again + general rust. Moved cities and I’ve been getting back into it, certain basics are slow to come back. Got my frontside Ollie’s back and even threw a couple frontside Ollie late shuvs on the little quarter at my new local but can’t land them yet. Probably my next trick to obsess over until I get over it

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #1201 on: April 11, 2023, 12:48:55 AM »
Saw some dope stuff go down yesterday, friends got a few clips so that was sick. The obstacle was too buck for me, so I skated a lot of flat and tried to hype them up. I'm excited about some tricks lately, because I'm starting to really figure out the nuances of the board after a few years. Some stuff I came close to yesterday: tre flip (any day now), fs heel flip (back foot issues), and I've been trying to get fakie flips as consistent as kickflips at a high rate of speed.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Terminal

« Reply #1202 on: April 11, 2023, 07:17:04 AM »
Shithouse

caiiro

• Rep: 3
  • you'd prefer an astronaut
« Reply #1203 on: April 11, 2023, 07:20:49 AM »
last skate session was friday, little kids were boxing each other outside the park for fun.

why pay for ppv when i can just watch two 12 year old's do it for fun?

Banned from the room

« Reply #1204 on: April 12, 2023, 06:15:11 PM »
I just fucking smashed the curbs. I got every 80 in i can think of to 50 or single truck. I got lines. I got a flat session warm up and cool down. A kid asked for a kickflip. I did a turn over and threw a switch flip but landed primo. I was feeling myself tonight. My board control has never been this good ever. I just had to change the way i skated and boom. Im in a whole new world of endless possibilities. It only took from 2016 a torn acl and 7 staples in the head to get here this time. Top of the world ma.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #1205 on: April 12, 2023, 06:44:21 PM »
Back tailed on a legitimate ledge on my first session with a slightly longer wheelbase. Really loved the way shit felt in general! Plus it's just now warmed up into the 70s in Michigan... rare perfect weather.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
« Reply #1206 on: April 13, 2023, 01:13:34 AM »
Had a decent session at the ol' crust park even though I basically only landed 1 acceptable kickflip out of 10. Spent the rest of it fucking around on a ledge grass gap an old skate acquaintance made out of a roll of astroturf.  It's maybe 8 feet long or something. Was sliding some good front noses like 3 feet past the damn thing but kept slipping out or couldn't set them down properly. Not used to coming out mid-ledge on that trick. I even locked into 2 where I was sliding on top of my baseplate as opposed to on the front of it. Really weird sound and feeling when you're trying to noseslide something.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1207 on: April 13, 2023, 01:39:42 AM »
Over Easter I got my first street clip since 2005. It'll probably end up as a little throwaway line but boy, what a feeling. Wasn't quite ready for that dopamine rush even though I'd pictured the moment ever since I stepped back on a board last summer. Skating's the best y'all.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1208 on: April 13, 2023, 03:46:58 AM »
I’m back home from a session. It was good. I landed a FS bigspin third try. The last time I was doing them was about 13 years ago. Muscle memory is still there! Unfortunately it was the only one I landed properly. Was doing a couple more tricks, holding manuals and riding switch. While riding switch I felt so unstable that other skaters asked me “what happens?? Are you ok?”  ;D They didn’t noticed it was switch.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #1209 on: April 13, 2023, 04:05:57 AM »
Managed to flip into a grind which made my old ass feel better. Forgot I know how to one foot Ollie and did a couple which impressed some kids. Frankly one of the worst sessions I’ve had in a while but somehow fun.

More and more expectations and reality are so far apart.

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1210 on: April 13, 2023, 05:22:23 AM »
did 3 kickflips in my driveway, haven't skated since november. From november to yesterday was the longest i've ever gone without wearing skate shoes and holy shit they are comically uncomfortable.

mfweeno

• Rep: 37
« Reply #1211 on: April 13, 2023, 09:06:11 AM »
Woke up around 6:30 am, caught the sunrise with my morning coffee before heading to the smaller local park I frequent during the week.

I went in with the intent of just pushing around and getting some movement in, but started messing around with flip tricks and realized my fakie varial heelflips were working today.

I re-filmed a fakie v-heel on the a-frame obstacle and landed it way cleaner than the previous one I filmed about a month or so ago. Only took about 20 minutes which is a quick land for tricks I'm not usually good at.

Decided to leave on a W and went to a local bakery to grab some goodies for my fiance and myself before work. Pretty nice Friday Jr. so far.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #1212 on: April 13, 2023, 09:59:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just figured out proper fs flips, I'm in heaven
[close]

Stoked for you (and jealous). Now you have to tell us how to do them. ;)
[close]

Ty. You know tricks that land far to the side like tre's, it helped me a lot to heavily lean/jump to where it lands, like towards the nose of the board when it's mid trick, feels easier to follow and feel the nose to flick it, I do this for inward heels too.
Other than that I  just needed to try harder. Front foot almost pointing forward, more body spin and  fs pop shuv motion, and that feel of delay before flicking (and down'ish).
Front foot still stops a bit of the nose momentum but the tail goes around
[close]

Where is your front foot, close to bolts like for kickflips or further down the mid section?
[close]

At first it was right on the middle, it worked and it felt like I was flicking off that bump before the nose, but then I started moving it up a bit and it felt better, but it was still a few inches away from touching bolts
[close]

Nodoby asked me but Im still gonna opinion on this:
It took me a while to land them cause I could never do the Muska version as a youngster.
A few years ago I figured to not think of them as a fs flip (full 180°), instead in my head Im doing for a 90° kickflip (with some extra pop like Im jumping over something), try to catch it mid air and keep rotating the next 90° or so degrees... or pivoting sometimes in flat ground.

My front feet goes a little behind the 2 back bolts from the nose, I normally step on them for a regular kickflip. Back foot goes into the corner but the most crucial thing its to already have your shoulders open while you pop: you're halfway the trick so as soon as you catch the board in the air you just have to keep rotating those last 90°. As i said; they are, somehow, particularly easier for my mind if I only focus on doing a "big 90° kickflip", maybe this could help someone.

Now about my last session:
I had to go to the local skatepark Ive always hated; its one of those early 2000 parks where everything its huge (THPS design in mind), lots of space and $ wasted, unmaintained and as you would expect: it doesn't have any basic box or manual pad in sight.
Got there at 9 am, no one around, amazing time to warm up, stretch and land a few interesting tricks (even 2 fs flips and a nollie fs 360 aka nolliecab on a hip). By 11 am it was fully packed of roller skaters on every quarter pipe waxing any piece of coping visible. Dudes are organized on turning a fucked up old park into a slip and slide so I took my shit and went back home to play with my kids instead :)
[close]

Can you describe how you jump with a fs flip? That's what seems to elude me. I think I'm distributing my weight when I pop incorrectly and it's diminishing my leaping power. I have 180s well and good kickflips almost on demand but I just can't figure it out. The board always ends up a little above and infront of me. Sometimes I'll get the flick right and the board will do it perfectly but my body isn't above it. If you have any insight I'd appreciate it. I think I understand most aspects of the trick like shoulders open, where the feet go, getting the front foot out of the way... I just can't figure out what the back foot needs to be doing or how to maximize my power. Thx!
I’m no expert as mine are not very consistent, but lean back when you pop.
Weight heavily over the tail and a little to your back/ass.

E: about my last skate session, haven’t skated much during the winter. Just a couple of flatground sessions basically. Now that the snow has cleared, I thought it would be really awkward and I’d have to re-learn a lot of stuff like I usually do.
But to my suprice, most of my stuff is still there and I could just come to back to sessioning the park.
Got a new variation of an old trick first go.
Stoked.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1213 on: April 13, 2023, 02:22:09 PM »
Finally landed a fakie fs flip. I was so surprised to be standing on the board it took me a millisec to realise I had done it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

switchfakie

« Reply #1214 on: April 13, 2023, 05:56:19 PM »
Finally landed a fakie fs flip. I was so surprised to be standing on the board it took me a millisec to realise I had done it.

nice job my gangsta

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1215 on: April 14, 2023, 03:31:51 AM »
First time skating under spotlights, got the call up for a Friday night session.

Slapped a solid 40 minutes after a 10hr work day, pretty stoked with my output too.

Will do again.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1216 on: April 14, 2023, 04:47:34 AM »
First time skating under spotlights, got the call up for a Friday night session.

Slapped a solid 40 minutes after a 10hr work day, pretty stoked with my output too.

Will do again.

It’s good to have a late night spot. The different ligyting takes a bit of adaptation but you get used to it.

I got another lipslide on the flatbar and am slowly building up the confidence to commit on these suckers.
why come?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1217 on: April 14, 2023, 09:18:25 AM »
First sesh on Venture V-Hollows coming from Indy Forged. Pretty weird at first. I had to pop a lill different because they are so explosiv on my 8.25 Polar Deck.
The turn was awful at first too. I missed the "lean in" factor while doing my fakie tricks like halfcab heels or cabs on quarters. I almost took them off again but I pushed through. After 2 hours or so I loosened them a lill turn and I got used to them a bit more. I like how my FS shuvs are coming up to my feet again. Also pulled my best Kickflip on the bank I ever did I think. Tre Flips were a struggle but I landed a few good ones. So far I see more positives then negatives with these venture. I hope they last longer then the 3 pairs of indys that broke on me in the last few months.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

blizblaz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1218 on: April 14, 2023, 10:37:56 AM »
i'm getting frontside slashes more consistently and on bigger transition now. i was able to lock into a frontside 5-0 stall a couple times, or whatever you want to call it, so maybe standup grinds are a possibility. frontside 5050 and standup grinds would be things i never thought i'd be able to do on anything bigger than 3 feet transition so thatd be nice

Kumiko

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1219 on: April 15, 2023, 03:06:32 PM »
The past five or so months were a heavy winter and I was quite sedentary through all of it. Cycled up to the park and toyed around for about an hour and a half. Probably one of the longest sessions I've had in a year. Loved it! Landed a few FS boards on a curb and that's all. It just feels good to be on the board and getting confident on it again. I'm very tired now. Can't wait to get back at it again in the coming days.
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #1220 on: April 15, 2023, 03:10:31 PM »

Congrats! I had them on lock when I was 15 but havent done them in ages. Will try next sesh, it is a good looking trick when popped properly.

Spliffluvr

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1221 on: April 15, 2023, 09:59:34 PM »
Had a shit day, skated a mid park after work, had a good time there nothing new was landed. Decided to go to a second park, drove a half hour and the second I roll in some kid in a group yells, "kickflip." Ignored him, and hit a Manny pad and one of them just shouts at me. I roll around, another kid yells, "kickflip" and at this point I feel like all these fuckers have their greasy eyes on me. Go for a front nose, bail. And shout kid does it again, so I just got really pissed and left. Am I an ass hole?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: April 15, 2023, 11:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Congrats! I had them on lock when I was 15 but havent done them in ages. Will try next sesh, it is a good looking trick when popped properly.

Cheers my dude, I haven‘t been able to get another one since but will keep at it now that I know I got them in me. I also had regular fs flips back in the day but they seem much harder now.
why come?

Terminal

« Reply #1223 on: April 16, 2023, 12:07:36 PM »
No skate for 2-3 weeks, 10 stitches in the hip after having a suspect mole taken out. Pretty bummed but fingers crossed biopsy results are good.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1224 on: April 16, 2023, 01:23:41 PM »
Sunday is strictly slappies for me.

It was raining so I tried to skate a parking block in an underground parking lot where I work. Got a fs and bs 50/50 but when I was getting ready to crook, a car pulled up next to the block which I suspected to be security so I got out.

I moved on to my regular curb with the rain set up and got two or three bs crooks when a woman yelled out of the window that her baby was sleeping.

I moved to another underground parking but the curbs there were to steep so I called it a day.
why come?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1225 on: April 16, 2023, 02:36:48 PM »
Fun sesh with some older guys that like to skate bowls. Finally getting consistent 50 grinds in the deep end, it's taken me a while to get to the point where i'm not scared to fall back into the bowl if I bail the grind. The older guys lasted a couple of hours but I still had some left in me so I fucked around doing some footplants over a pyramid hip, got some frontside and backside bonelesses and a few texas plants.

i'm getting frontside slashes more consistently and on bigger transition now. i was able to lock into a frontside 5-0 stall a couple times, or whatever you want to call it, so maybe standup grinds are a possibility. frontside 5050 and standup grinds would be things i never thought i'd be able to do on anything bigger than 3 feet transition so thatd be nice

If you can 5-0 stall/pivot on something then you can definitely standup 5-0 grind it. I find frontside pivots harder than stand up grinds because you don't have the momentum helping you get back into the ramp. To go from a quick front slash to a legit frontside grind I focus on pushing my back heel into the coping when i'm grinding so I stay in the grind position just an extra millisecond longer.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1226 on: April 16, 2023, 03:56:15 PM »
Good and bad.
Made some progress in the mini today. Fs/Bs Disaster and a Fs Lip. A few Fs 50s and some nice Bs Smith.
Was pretty chill. I had the whole indoor for myself.
Flatground was kinda meh. I left my whole energy in the mini ramp. Took me way to long to land a sketchy full cab. Didn't even tried any flips. Then I tried a halfcab manual bs 180 out on the pad, came close to a few, last try I slipped out, stepped on my nose with one foot, made the splits and fucked my knee. It's a bit swollen but I think it's nothing to bad. I'm so fucked now, good times.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #1227 on: April 17, 2023, 06:22:23 AM »
I did nollie bs 5-0 shove it out for first time (on super small curb) but i am stoked. Later we had crazy expirience with one gypsy with al capone tattoo on his throat and escobar tattoo on his neck. He was trying to trick us something saying he came from a very distant town (with a taxi payin 200 euros) to meet a woman, but the woman dumped him and he slept on the street, that he has forgotton his id card in his town but needed someone to help him with id so his mother would send him money from germany through western union money transfer, and this was on the orthodox easter holiday when noone works, and other crazy stuff like he was a europen kickbox champion :) well, street life

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #1228 on: April 17, 2023, 06:37:12 AM »
I skated the park yesterday morning and helped a kid do his first ollie. He was juiced as hell. It ruled.

mfweeno

• Rep: 37
« Reply #1229 on: April 17, 2023, 07:35:54 AM »
Had a pretty rad skate weekend! My body is sore but my inner skate rat is fulfilled.

The local Team Pain park had a 5th birthday event on Saturday with a bunch of little contests spread through the day. I had the opportunity to judge the contests and get some runs in between events.

The park has a massive concrete bowl in the back with a 7 foot shallow and 12 foot deep end. The final event of the day was a pro contest in the bowl with a few metal bands playing on the deck. Somehow I managed to take one of the first runs before things started popping off and dropped into the shallow end right when the band started playing which got me fired up. Pumped through the corner of the deep end for the first time, hitting full tile and everything. Felt rather "hellride" if you will.

Still had some leftover stoke on Sunday so I went back out to the park for a short afternoon sesh. I backside flipped the bump to jersey barrier first try, then battled for a bit to get another one on film. Somehow landed one bolts after cracking my board twice in the center. Nice way to book-end an eventful weekend.