Author Topic: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)  (Read 80918 times)

Coffee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
Re: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)
« Reply #450 on: August 26, 2021, 05:20:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My local has this Creature deck I'm interested in.  I've never ridden anything over an 8.25 but I'll be 38 in a couple weeks and decided to go with a proper slappy/transition setup instead of my current 8" being my main.  Having issues with uploading pictures but dimensions are 8.8 x 31.46 x 14 with nose 6.89 and tail 6.4 and shaped like an early 90's deck.
[close]

Is it the Gardner Ghosts pro model?

There are a couple of pics in the Egg shaped boards thread, link here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.msg3582678;topicseen#msg3582678

Others have said it is a good one.
[close]

The one I’m looking at isn’t a pro model, it’s a power ply or something like that but looks like the same shape.  I looked up that Gardner on a couple sites and it says it’s a twin tail. Any truth to that?
[close]

Yes to being a twin tail, but I guess they would have sold out pretty quickly.

And I agree with you on that graphic.  Might have been one or more of those decks that people have sprayed over in either the setup thread, big boards or here, but I cannot recall.

Stickers or a can of paint are easy fixes for a good shape with a bad graphic.

I’ve pretty much talked myself into picking it up but I’m out of town right now so it will have to wait. Although seeing the dimensions on that new chocolate Chris Roberts deck had me thinking about having them order me one of those. I’m a sucker for how flat Crail boards are.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #451 on: August 26, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wide board + short WB skaters truly are the most oppressed minority
[close]

every couple days for the last year or so, i would open my skateshop bookmarks hoping on a new "unicorn", filter by width and wheelbase, and close my phone in disgust in that order.

"you want a small wheelbase? ride an 8, bigfoot!" i can hear these screams in ever waking nightmare.

this thread is for the dozens of us (as the industry sees it) to discuss the dozen of options that are left, experiences with said boards/setups, new developments for the cause, etc. most importantly to put our collective foot down in hopes for wheelbase equality.

(8.5 and up, 14.25 and below)
[close]

@Pretty_rad makes any size and shape you want but specializes in 9"+ decks with 14"wb. his boards come with 14" wb unless you want something different.

heroin craig questions video city deck is a 9.3"x 31.3" 14.1" wb, Girl couch and love seat decks.  but the Chem skate Wb tool opens up the option to skate any brands deck

Chems skate WB tool is a must have is you like riding a smaller wb on bigger boards.
i have a wb tool from chems skate which can bring in the wb with .25" increments. so i buy any board i want now and just redrill the truck holes to be 14" wb or 13.9" wb. also allows me to add a little nose to old schools so i can nollie and nose slide.
[close]

Since you are using the .25 increment jig have you noticed any structure type issues with the redrilled roll holes being close to the pre drilled? I want the .25 but debating on getting the bigger one idk.

I had a conversation about this a while back, with these results:

If you drill it in towards the middle, there is no difference as the holes would be under the truck and unless you have some crazy hard landings on the end of the kick (usually the nose, if that was the end drilled in) then it also would not cause any other issues there.  Similarly on the tail, the truck baseplate will usually overlap the holes enough to not have much pressure over the old holes, so will not weaken the deck.

The other side of it, drilling it out further (not really relevant in this thread for shorter wheelbases but will say it anyway) could weaken it a bit but usually the truck edge is the point at which the board will break, even it if cracks the top ply only, it still was caused by the flex and the pressure of the truck underneath it, so just the two holes by themselves would not cause too much structural weakness on their own.

It is a bit close when you look at it, but I will take a pic of a board with .25 difference that is double drilled when I can for you to see as well.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2021, 10:37:22 PM »
So this is the double drilled board, the difference is actually more like .3" so not .25" and definitely a bit closer than .38" which most 6 hole baseplates are. 

I think the .25" would be pretty close to breaking through if it hit hard enough into something, eg shoot the board into a curb hitting the truck full on, but at least one guy I know who did a .25" redrill didn't have issues with it and skated his modified deck for a long time under normal conditions.

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #453 on: August 28, 2021, 02:20:50 PM »
8.7×32 with a 14.25 WB i just got it and tge shape looks great and its BBS Wood

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:04:27 AM by Skrotum »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #454 on: August 30, 2021, 10:23:39 PM »
baker 8.6/31.875/14.25 wb

looks like slightly bigger b16
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Coffee

• Rep: 44
« Reply #455 on: September 03, 2021, 01:45:53 PM »
Picked up this Real today. First time above 8.125 for me. Shape is great and the one session I had today felt good.

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/real-skateboards-city-blocks-skateboard-deck-8.5x31.8

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #456 on: September 03, 2021, 04:52:00 PM »
New Tired Cat Call deck is 8.75 with a 14 in wheelbase and a nice little tapered shape!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #457 on: September 04, 2021, 06:09:07 AM »

santa cruz 8.8/31.8/14.25 wb

8.8 over the front trucks, 8.75 in the back
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 904
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #458 on: September 04, 2021, 08:56:09 AM »

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #459 on: September 04, 2021, 09:39:14 AM »
So this is the double drilled board, the difference is actually more like .3" so not .25" and definitely a bit closer than .38" which most 6 hole baseplates are. 

I think the .25" would be pretty close to breaking through if it hit hard enough into something, eg shoot the board into a curb hitting the truck full on, but at least one guy I know who did a .25" redrill didn't have issues with it and skated his modified deck for a long time under normal conditions.

I wouldn't recommend redrilling if you tend hang up/smash your truck in to curbs. I've redrilled one of my decks and the mounting holes are close to breaking through after a couple of sessions.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #460 on: September 04, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »

I wouldn't recommend redrilling if you tend hang up/smash your truck in to curbs. I've redrilled one of my decks and the mounting holes are close to breaking through after a couple of sessions.

That is interesting to see.

Is it just the top / bottom layer or two or does it go right down through some or all layers?

Also are we looking at the top or bottom and how much difference is it between holes - 1/2 or 3/8" or less?

Curious and interested to see / hear about it.

Thanks!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #461 on: September 04, 2021, 03:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it just the top / bottom layer or two or does it go right down through some or all layers?

Also are we looking at the top or bottom and how much difference is it between holes - 1/2 or 3/8" or less?

Thanks!
I have used a six hole baseplate to redrill, so the difference is around 0.4".
4/7 of layers are broken(bottom)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #462 on: September 04, 2021, 05:57:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks!
[close]

Had a similar thing happened when I redrilled a WB 1/2" back. Also ended up with a crazy diagonal pressure crack on the top that went from the front truck to the back about 2 plies deep. This is all after a few days of very mellow slappy skating, albeit in very hot and humid weather.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: September 05, 2021, 03:17:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks!
[close]
[close]

Had a similar thing happened when I redrilled a WB 1/2" back. Also ended up with a crazy diagonal pressure crack on the top that went from the front truck to the back about 2 plies deep. This is all after a few days of very mellow slappy skating, albeit in very hot and humid weather.

I know I have seen some rough drilling that caused a few issues, not that this is the case here, but one guy blew out two or three layers when he went too hard drilling through, took out about an inch round one of the bolts, which shouldn't happen anyway.

Since that time, I always try to be a bit lighter on the downward pressure if I do have to redrill a deck.

The six hole baseplates are good to use to drill out the 3/8" which I would have thought to be far enough, but as said, some forceful slappies and it puts a lot more pressure on the deck too.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #464 on: September 05, 2021, 12:23:46 PM »

havent had any issues so far and i drill my wheelbase in so if i were to shoot my board out and jam my trucks it would just be pushing away from the 2nd hole. i can post pics of my deck if people want to show the spacing.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: September 05, 2021, 06:33:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

havent had any issues so far and i drill my wheelbase in so if i were to shoot my board out and jam my trucks it would just be pushing away from the 2nd hole. i can post pics of my deck if people want to show the spacing.

I would find it interesting.

How far apart are yours too?

Thanks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: September 05, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »

From another thread, I just saw the shorter Real decks are in at Tactics if anyone is interested:

https://www.tactics.com/real/tropical-dream-oval-85-skateboard-deck

Dimensions:

SIZE   8.5
WIDTH (IN):   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   32.0
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.1
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.625

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #467 on: September 06, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »

From another thread, I just saw the shorter Real decks are in at Tactics if anyone is interested:

Dimensions:

SIZE   8.5

Aren't there already the DLX decks with the 8.5 width and 31.85 length? And I think 14.25 wb. Anyone know about tail and nose length?
IG: @flowterspace

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: September 06, 2021, 03:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote

Dimensions:

SIZE   8.5
[close]

Aren't there already the DLX decks with the 8.5 width and 31.85 length? And I think 14.25 wb. Anyone know about tail and nose length?

Yep there are a few actually and it can get quite confusing if you don't know which board graphic is on which shape, but this was one of the "shorter wheelbase series", as people had been asking for them, even slightly shorter wheelbases but not shorter length overall, which can make a big difference.

This is the standard (shorter) 8.5 also from Tactics as they have everything showing right now, which seems about right:

https://www.tactics.com/real/team-classic-oval-85-skateboard-deck

SIZE   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   31.8
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.75
TAIL (IN):   6.5

I know some people love it, but I found the tail too short for my liking on this shape.  Amazing what a couple of mm can do in things like wheelbase or tail length.

For reference only, this is the other more common board with 14.38 wb:

https://www.tactics.com/real/renewal-doves-redux-85-skateboard-deck

SIZE   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   32.25
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.38
TAIL (IN):   6.5 *   (mine measures more at 6.625)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #469 on: September 07, 2021, 12:21:27 PM »
Dunno if this is considered a short wheelbase, but anyone tried the polar 8.625 popsicle? Says 14.375 wheelbase (although the polar 8.5 is listed as 14.5 and measures 14.375).

Kinda curious about it, any opinions or input on the 8.625 appreciated.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #470 on: September 07, 2021, 02:21:36 PM »
14.25 and below

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #471 on: September 07, 2021, 07:00:47 PM »
Boulevard / BLVD isn't the same company that Rob G ran in the 2000s but I got 1 on discount.

8.25 x 32.125 x 14 - double checked both mounting holes to verify the WB and it was a 14". Medium concave and kicks, got me excited to set it up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #472 on: September 07, 2021, 07:02:22 PM »
Dunno if this is considered a short wheelbase, but anyone tried the polar 8.625 popsicle? Says 14.375 wheelbase (although the polar 8.5 is listed as 14.5 and measures 14.375).

I kinda get what your asking but just to clarify - since Polar consistently lists their decks as having bigger wheelbases then they actually have, is the 8.625 really 14.38 or is it also actually shorter? Do I have that right? I have wondered this myself ever since I measured a 14.5 at 14.38. Apologize if I'm putting words in your mouth. Anybody have a Polar 8.625 to measure?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #473 on: September 07, 2021, 09:51:26 PM »

I skated the Boserio one from a few drops back. Measurements were accurate, I didn’t really like the shape tbh, tail was too tapered and overall a bit mellow for my liking.

gabbesucks

« Reply #474 on: September 08, 2021, 02:52:38 AM »
Just set up a Dane1 (9.75 with 14.125wb) and some ace classics, true wheelbase is actually so short now, not sure if I like it I’ll see how it goes. Got an 8.25 with a longer wheelbase than this.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #475 on: September 11, 2021, 04:55:14 AM »
Just setup a Santa Cruz deck that’s 9” with a 14.25 wheelbase and it’s fantastic.
Running it on ventures right now but it’s a little bit magic carpet but could probably be fixed with a few washers

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #476 on: September 12, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »
tired 8.8/32/14.0

tired 9/31.25(?)/14.0

madness 9.0/32/14.25

roger 8.6/32.5/14.25

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 09:11:41 PM by off »

AppleNick

• Rep: 19
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #477 on: September 16, 2021, 03:42:17 PM »
tired 8.8/32/14.0

Tail looks like it has a whole hand of flat.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #478 on: September 16, 2021, 03:59:17 PM »
Been thinking of trying that Dressen SC board. I know one get get use to boards, but I personally don't prefer the steep kicks on most/all dwindle boards have.
The chillest1

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #479 on: September 16, 2021, 07:48:43 PM »
Been thinking of trying that Dressen SC board. I know one get get use to boards, but I personally don't prefer the steep kicks on most/all dwindle boards have.
The kicks on this are not too bad, I got the 825 in that series as well and I can’t pop that thing to save my life the kicks are so steep, where as the dressen I’ve just been skating it like a normal board the last week