Author Topic: Weird Stories About Pros  (Read 76209 times)

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Weird Stories About Pros
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
keep em coming, some good reads here.

ballintoohard

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2021, 10:05:05 AM »
Back in 2005 Paris Hilton’s phone was stolen and the contact list was leaked online. Not sure how I got it but sure enough Muska’s number is on there so being a childhood fanboy I cold called him... and dude picked up. We briefly chatted about skating in Arizona and then he told me to hit him up sometime if I’m in LA. Right.

Fast forward 2 years and I’m pretty damn day drunk and Muska’s number is still in my phone. I call him up and sure enough he’s in AZ at a strip club maybe 2 miles from my house and invited me out. I huffed it up to the strip climb expecting to get trolled but am instead met with peak party Muska maybe a few months before his TMZ meltdown. He had a crew with him and I got to hang out with them all night. He still had an Escalade, but I vaguely recall it being kinda shitty up close. Shared many party favors and got dropped off just after sunrise.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »

What's Nuge like ?

We're from the same city, known him since we were teenagers. Nuge is cool. Amazing pop and effortless style.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:32:03 AM by Burton Ernie »

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2021, 10:41:32 AM »
I guess I'll be the fuckin nerd to follow up that story.

Met Adrian Lopez at a bar in PB about 10 years back. Mad cool but I was chatting him up about how gnarly his back tails were and he proceeds to say that before he retires he wants to "do the biggest back tail ever done". Kooky but respectable.

Last year I was with my son at a playground in south orange county, cookie cutter type shit. I'm sitting there and this dude and his two kids roll up from far away and I'm like, hmm that dude kinda looks like he skates. He gets closer and I'm like, jesus fucking Christ that's Geoff Rowley. I'm staring and give him this huge nod. He looks at my shoes and does the same.

Had probably the most pinnacle convo with any human ever that day. Chatted about Lennon, Flip, Penny, raising kids, future prospects (this was before free dome) all that shit. His passion for skating and life pours out when we were shooting the shit, so much more respect for him even tho it was always high.

Anyway, were talking for a while and he looks back and does the classic tunnel vision/frantically scanning the park for your kid look then realizes his son isn't there. We then both proceed to walk around the park calling his name but it quickly gets more serious when he doesnt show up after about 30 seconds (which is a lifetime btw when you looking for your child). Search widens to the surrounding field, I'm looking in this little ravine, shit is getting crazy. Hes all the way across the park and looks at me with this super worried face I'll never forget, sort of asking if I've seen him look. I shake my head no.

Turns out he was literally right next to us in this lil play tunnel on the playground just doing his thing. Never forget being in the moment and thinking, I'm at a playground searching for Rowley's possibly abducted/lost child. Pretty weird I guess?

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2021, 10:48:43 AM »

Met Adrian Lopez at a bar in PB about 10 years back. Mad cool but I was chatting him up about how gnarly his back tails were and he proceeds to say that before he retires he wants to "do the biggest back tail ever done". Kooky but respectable.

Last year I was with my son at a playground in south orange county, cookie cutter type shit. I'm sitting there and this dude and his two kids roll up from far away and I'm like, hmm that dude kinda looks like he skates. He gets closer and I'm like, jesus fucking Christ that's Geoff Rowley. I'm staring and give him this huge nod. He looks at my shoes and does the same.

Had probably the most pinnacle convo with any human ever that day. Chatted about Lennon, Flip, Penny, raising kids, future prospects (this was before free dome) all that shit. His passion for skating and life pours out when we were shooting the shit, so much more respect for him even tho it was always high.

Anyway, were talking for a while and he looks back and does the classic tunnel vision/frantically scanning the park for your kid look then realizes his son isn't there. We then both proceed to walk around the park calling his name but it quickly gets more serious when he doesnt show up after about 30 seconds (which is a lifetime btw when you looking for your child). Search widens to the surrounding field, I'm looking in this little ravine, shit is getting crazy. Hes all the way across the park and looks at me with this super worried face I'll never forget, sort of asking if I've seen him look. I shake my head no.

Turns out he was literally right next to us in this lil play tunnel on the playground just doing his thing. Never forget being in the moment and thinking, I'm at a playground searching for Rowley's possibly abducted/lost child. Pretty weird I guess?
This one had me on the edge of my toilet seat. I was genuinely relieved when you said he was right beside you guys.

Underground City

• Rep: 6
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2021, 11:01:39 AM »
~1998, Bam, Dollin, can't remember who else...Volcom tour that included one of the bands on their label, The Line. They came through Oklahoma City, and I don't remember if there was a demo anywhere but my friend Gabe had a nice mini-ramp and they all came over to skate it.

Dollin was wearing track pants and Bam was sponsored by Nike before they did any of the SB stuff. They both shredded the mini ramp.

Bam showed us an unlabeled VHS of some antics that wound up being some of the stuff from Jump Off A Building and the Landspeed/CKY videos.

I was 19 and lived with two girls in a house that we hosted punk shows at sometimes. After the mini-ramp sesh the whole crew came to our house and The Line played in our living room while Dollin, Bam, and I think Lance Dawes(?) fucked around doing their best pro-wrestling moves in the next room. Dollin was extremely obnoxious as usual.

Can't remember if it was the next day or what but we took them around to some street spots and Dollin skated everything and ripped.

On a side note, I saw DD at Nuges house a couple years ago and brought it up to him like the dork that I am. He just kinda vaguely acknowledged it but I'm not sure he remembers.
Amazing. I wonder what Dollin's memory is like at this point

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »
Expand Quote
~1998, Bam, Dollin, can't remember who else...Volcom tour that included one of the bands on their label, The Line. They came through Oklahoma City, and I don't remember if there was a demo anywhere but my friend Gabe had a nice mini-ramp and they all came over to skate it.

Dollin was wearing track pants and Bam was sponsored by Nike before they did any of the SB stuff. They both shredded the mini ramp.

Bam showed us an unlabeled VHS of some antics that wound up being some of the stuff from Jump Off A Building and the Landspeed/CKY videos.

I was 19 and lived with two girls in a house that we hosted punk shows at sometimes. After the mini-ramp sesh the whole crew came to our house and The Line played in our living room while Dollin, Bam, and I think Lance Dawes(?) fucked around doing their best pro-wrestling moves in the next room. Dollin was extremely obnoxious as usual.

Can't remember if it was the next day or what but we took them around to some street spots and Dollin skated everything and ripped.

On a side note, I saw DD at Nuges house a couple years ago and brought it up to him like the dork that I am. He just kinda vaguely acknowledged it but I'm not sure he remembers.
[close]

What's Nuge like ?

I was in silverlake with a couple buddies who live out there and ran into Nuge and Lizard at a bar. We all shot a couple rounds of pool and he bought us all a round of shots and was an overall super rad and nice dude.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
This thread needs to be stickied. Already so many classic stories that should not be lost when it slows down for a brief moment later this week.

drewdown

• Rep: -28
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
I got some Penny stories. 

So back in London 95-96 he would come around to Southbank and this was PEAK Penny days.  He would get super hammered at the pub right down the river from Southbank and one time got punched in the face by the bouncer and lost his wallet.  Kept asking everyone where his wallet was and really had no idea that he was bleeding from the nose.  Later that night back at Southbank he ollies the gap (with the sharp rocks) right of the stairs like it was nothing.  He was super close with Winston Whittier, BenJobe and the local SB guys back then and would roll through every once and awhile.   

I think the next time I heard about him was a couple years ago when one of the SB locals texted me saying he was hanging out with Tom and sent me some pics of them in some random house in the UK in the middle of the night.   Maybe in Surrey or somewhere like that. 

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »
Not mine and not too weird.

But, after the peak of Brian Sumner’s career he was doing (might still be) some missionary type skate shit.

My friend Jared was as well. He was apart of their crew. Them and our friend Ben are all hanging out chatting. And Ben is a big dude. Like 250 and only skated occasionally but the homie nonetheless. He starts telling jared how he ollied this 3 stair which was a big accomplishment for him. And Sumner turns to Ben and in that British accent just deadpan asks “Up it or down it?”

My crew still uses that like for a little laugh while doing it in the brit accent.

Also got to witness Chet Childress pass out on the floor of his own art show at Push Skateshop in Asheville, NC.

And got a ride in Dan Murphy’s “Das Proof” decal minivan to a club one night in Raleigh.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2021, 12:24:32 PM »
I got a decent Muska one too...

I THINK it was 2001-ish, but me and some friends were skating an OKC staple spot just messing around on the ledges. A gold Escalade rolls up and the passenger window comes down and we hear "any good spots around here?" It was Muska, in the Muskalade. He was driving cross-country to NYC with some homies to work on his Muskabeatz album.

They posted up at a hotel somewhere and linked back up with us later, we took him to the 10-stair rails at the same spot from earlier. He did front 50, 5-0, tail slide, lip slide all in 1 or 2 tries, filmed a couple lines there with his filmer. They came back to the skate house we lived in at the time and smoked out the whole crew with some good weed. In the early 2000s there was NOT good weed everywhere, so we were blown away.

they stayed for a couple days and we took them around to a few more spots. Muska was the coolest nicest dude ever, and could do his bag of tricks pretty much every try on any rail.

They actually stopped back by on their way home from NYC and partied and skated some more and we made Muska an honorary member of our little crew. I think he was hyped, or was just really polite about it.

Oh yeah, prior to that, back in '96/'97 maybe(?), we were 17ish, my same friend from the Volcom story won a Tum Yeto Fan Club contest where they come to your house and skate with you. The crew that came to his house was Jamie Thomas, Muska, Frank Hirata, and Steve Olson. They ripped Gabe's little driveway quarter pipe set up and we were all amazed.

Nothing weird happened in any of those stories, but Muska was and is a legend. good memories.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2021, 12:38:55 PM »
I was at the Back To The 'Berg contest, the one where they thought the spot was going to get demolished afterwards, Chris Cole did the back 360. I was right at the bottom step standing behind Mike Carroll, with a wide stance, and I look down and see someone crawling right between my legs to get to where the pros were standing- when he gets up I realize it was John Cardiel.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:09:51 AM by offkilter »

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2021, 12:52:35 PM »
I was at that bungalow bar in Santa Monica with a buddy because my cousin was having a birthday there, and she got a table with bottle service.

So we were wandering around the place and in walks Jereme Rogers by himself (right after the KOTR where he nearly killed Heath Kirchart riding down a hill on a toilet). Since we had a few drinks up to that point, we weren't able to contain our fan boy ness, so we brought him to our table and proceeded to give him some drinks. He then later introduced me to a girl he had just met 5 minutes before and she and I made out next to the bathroom for the rest of the night. I never saw Jereme again that evening, and I never got to thank him.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2021, 01:17:55 PM »
I was at that bungalow bar in Santa Monica with a buddy because my cousin was having a birthday there, and she got a table with bottle service.

So we were wandering around the place and in walks Jereme Rogers by himself (right after the KOTR where he nearly killed Heath Kirchart riding down a hill on a toilet). Since we had a few drinks up to that point, we weren't able to contain our fan boy ness, so we brought him to our table and proceeded to give him some drinks. He then later introduced me to a girl he had just met 5 minutes before and she and I made out next to the bathroom for the rest of the night. I never saw Jereme again that evening, and I never got to thank him.
Sounds like a magical evening. This one and the muska one would be my favourites to live out, lucky bastards!

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2021, 06:08:52 PM »

This Rowley story hit all the marks of a great 'weird story about a pro' for me. Shit man, you could've been close to giving witness statements, even a suspect haha

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2021, 06:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This Rowley story hit all the marks of a great 'weird story about a pro' for me. Shit man, you could've been close to giving witness statements, even a suspect haha

"Sir we don't need to know about skate videos the victim appeared in for this police report. We just need to know the last place where you saw the kid."
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »

Then it'll make you glad to know it was Forrest Edwards that almost killed HK. Jereme zooms off lookin' like a piece of chewed gum.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »
Popped into a poboy shop on Bourbon street when I lived nearby, and randomly bumped into Jake Johnson.  I guess he looked at my shoes and goes “oh hey man, you skate?”  “Not so much these days”,  “oh cool” and we went about our business. 

On the way out of the shop he called me over to their van (I think it was an early GX trip; yonnie, Al Davis and some other guys where there).  He handed me a set of Ojs and told me to keep skating. 

Stand up guy, that JJ
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »
This is a great thread, fun reading all these. Have one or two more so why not share.

I was at labor after work one day in like 2014 setting up a new deck and BA comes in and is just lit up. Like super pissed and worked up about something kind of doing laps around this little store going “I can’t fucking believe that man! FUCK THAT” and so on and so forth before storming out all within like 30 seconds. Guy behind the counter kind of just shrugged as if to say “that’s Brian Anderson for you”
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2021, 07:39:27 PM »
Went up the DC for the Emerica/Lakai Stay Flared demo that was happening at the Malloof park in 2015, so before the demo me and my homie heard that the whole Stay Flared crew was doing a signing at the Palace Five skate shop so we head there and pulling up to the shop we see that the signing had just ended and most of the pros were standing outside the shop getting ready to load back up in the van, Reynolds, Spanky, Westgate, Carrol, Jerry Hsu, Romero were just some of the heads standing around on the side walk, out of nowhere this homeless woman with a shopping cart full of random stuff just walks thru the crowd of pros and immediately starts screaming at them in a belligerent fashion, at one point i think she was spitting at them and I remember the look on all the pros they were just like yeah this lady is fucking crazy lets get outta here. I was stoked i got to meet Reynolds right before the screaming hobo broke up the scene. Not really that crazy of a story but definitely weird. The Stay Flared crew proceeded to Pulaski to skate for a while before heading to Maloof for the demo which was a sick one to witness live.
I went to that demo, and I’m pretty sure Heath kirchart saw me watching him skate and stopped

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
One time I was at house park, and some short dude showed up with a tatted up chick who was super hot. He threw down his board and did a perfect front crook or switch front crook. It was Cody Mac. He’s like 5 foot tall in real life but his girl was good looking.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 07:51:15 PM by Esmith5488 »

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2021, 08:41:26 PM »
Worked at Deathwish/Baker Boys at the start

Another Greco one is we were in a meeting explaining why brigada eyewear wasn't selling and greco was having the hardest time eating a jack in the box taco he was like moving his head side to side like a raptor in jurassic park and then attacked it straight on no taco neck it was bizarre, and this is when he is supposedly sober for years i dunno

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2021, 09:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Worked at Deathwish/Baker Boys at the start

Another Greco one is we were in a meeting explaining why brigada eyewear wasn't selling and greco was having the hardest time eating a jack in the box taco he was like moving his head side to side like a raptor in jurassic park and then attacked it straight on no taco neck it was bizarre, and this is when he is supposedly sober for years i dunno

[close]

That whole post was so good and it’s already deleted 😫

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2021, 09:09:52 PM »
Baker boiler room is the reality show they should have done

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2021, 10:44:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jaws was messaging some dudes girlfriend in my hometown and basically being a predator. Sending a bunch of weird nudes and cringey pics. Never seen the pics
[close]

Clearly you need to get the pics for this sub
[close]

I shudder to think what the rest of him looks like underneath those clothes
dood looks like his penis got an underbite
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2021, 03:36:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jaws was messaging some dudes girlfriend in my hometown and basically being a predator. Sending a bunch of weird nudes and cringey pics. Never seen the pics
[close]

Clearly you need to get the pics for this sub
[close]

I shudder to think what the rest of him looks like underneath those clothes
[close]
dood looks like his penis got an underbite

Dude looks like he pisses through a tube that should've been changed 6 months ago.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2021, 04:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Went up the DC for the Emerica/Lakai Stay Flared demo that was happening at the Malloof park in 2015, so before the demo me and my homie heard that the whole Stay Flared crew was doing a signing at the Palace Five skate shop so we head there and pulling up to the shop we see that the signing had just ended and most of the pros were standing outside the shop getting ready to load back up in the van, Reynolds, Spanky, Westgate, Carrol, Jerry Hsu, Romero were just some of the heads standing around on the side walk, out of nowhere this homeless woman with a shopping cart full of random stuff just walks thru the crowd of pros and immediately starts screaming at them in a belligerent fashion, at one point i think she was spitting at them and I remember the look on all the pros they were just like yeah this lady is fucking crazy lets get outta here. I was stoked i got to meet Reynolds right before the screaming hobo broke up the scene. Not really that crazy of a story but definitely weird. The Stay Flared crew proceeded to Pulaski to skate for a while before heading to Maloof for the demo which was a sick one to witness live.
[close]
I went to that demo, and I’m pretty sure Heath kirchart saw me watching him skate and stopped

heath didn't skate at all.  he just buried himself in crowds unrecognized

i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • Free Max B
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2021, 05:03:12 AM »
heath standing amongst the kids unnoticed at a demo pretending hes a weird mid 30s man there by himself, when he should be skating in that demo, is the most heath shit ive ever heard/seen.

ive got some funny ones, none were too weird that i can remember.

jake used to come by the skatehouse apt i lived at all the time in 2008/09 before mindfield. he spent like 4 hours one night pitching the idea for "an indoor jetpack arena" and were all laughing then the laughing would stop and hed start right back up. "haha yeah alright guys come on im serious theres a lot of money to be made." he just needed a financial backer bc according to him jetpacks cost "about 80k by the time its all said and done" and he needed 5. that shit still makes me laugh when i think about how hard he was going to try and reel it back in and get us to just agree it was a cool idea.

free max b
FREE MAX B

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2021, 05:25:42 AM »
Not really my story to tell but a friend from Oceanside told me a story of how him and his homie (RIP) were chilling on their couch watching skate videos and Jerry Gurney just wandered in and offered them a box of Cheeze it’s. Neither of them knew him.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2021, 06:16:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

heath didn't skate at all.  he just buried himself in crowds unrecognized

I don’t know what time you got there but he skated back and fourth a few times before things started going. He was back towards the gold rail when I looked at him. I’m pretty sure I have a photo of him at least with his board somewhere