Author Topic: Al Davis on scumbag?  (Read 62548 times)

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Al Davis on scumbag?
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2021, 07:15:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The fact that people can't recognize aspects of both of these arguments as valid, hurts my brain/heart. This is an incredibly nuanced issue, women need to be heard and protected from these creeps, but at the same time we can't have a fucking unruly witch-hunt based on words alone. Have some fucking empathy, and try to think about the downsides of your preferred course of action. Both "solutions" right now have the potential to absolutely destroy perfectly good people, and that's wrong. Rapists should not go free, false accusations should have real consequences. Women should feel safe and confident in their ability to report this horrible shit and it be taken care of. Men should feel safe and confident in their innocence if they have done nothing to jeopardize it. Stop acting like you've got this shit figured out, because we clearly DON'T.
[close]

This.
[close]
This
[close]
This
This

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Nyjahsnanny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2021, 07:38:17 AM »
Cousin rapist

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2021, 07:48:06 AM »
The fact that people can't recognize aspects of both of these arguments as valid, hurts my brain/heart. This is an incredibly nuanced issue, women need to be heard and protected from these creeps, but at the same time we can't have a fucking unruly witch-hunt based on words alone. Have some fucking empathy, and try to think about the downsides of your preferred course of action. Both "solutions" right now have the potential to absolutely destroy perfectly good people, and that's wrong. Rapists should not go free, false accusations should have real consequences. Women should feel safe and confident in their ability to report this horrible shit and it be taken care of. Men should feel safe and confident in their innocence if they have done nothing to jeopardize it. Stop acting like you've got this shit figured out, because we clearly DON'T.

When is the last time such a barrage of accusations and stories ended up NOT being true? False accusations are obviously bad but statistically speaking it is a total anomaly when it comes to these situations. Can you name a single situation in skateboarding where someone spoke out against someone, had a decent crowd backing their statement, and it was totally false? If you genuinely care to have a nuanced opinion on this you should read up on this and understand why taking to social media about these issues is not some unreasonable "cancel culture" attack.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2021, 07:52:30 AM »
When have sexual assault and/or rape allegations completely destroyed a pro skater's life?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2021, 07:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When is the last time such a barrage of accusations and stories ended up NOT being true? False accusations are obviously bad but statistically speaking it is a total anomaly when it comes to these situations. Can you name a single situation in skateboarding where someone spoke out against someone, had a decent crowd backing their statement, and it was totally false? If you genuinely care to have a nuanced opinion on this you should read up on this and understand why taking to social media about these issues is not some unreasonable "cancel culture" attack.

Absolutely. This is essential and you nailed it.

Now for me to be a bitch....

Fuck a man feeling safe in his innocence

No man is innocent, and that's the real issue here

It's gonna be the same stupid merry go round of Not All Men until All Men get that shit in their heads

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna fuck off cause this shit is depressing.

I hate this world and I hate that this shit is fucking NORMAL.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2021, 08:02:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's gonna be the same stupid merry go round of Not All Men until All Men get that shit in their heads

perfectly said

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Funny how these 'reasonable' calls for caution come up only when sexual assault or harassment are involved. Well, that and racist attacks/incidents. Misogyny and racism go hand in hand, I guess.

These guys are more than happy to ignore the fact that the legal system has so many times fucked the victims and that simply talking about rape is traumatic for them. But sure, let's be careful and not jump to any conclusions before (and only if) there is a trial and a verdict.
[close]

You raped me. You are going to jail.

You're a grown-ass man who gets off on edgelording in threads about racism and sexual assault. You're pathetic. Bye.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2021, 08:17:33 AM »

I really hope you've never said this to victims of rape and sexual assault.

IpathCats

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2021, 08:47:05 AM »
Man, I knew I was getting agreed with too much on SLAP for that to continue haha. Just a couple quick clarifications before I exit this convo. I said false accusations have the POTENTIAL to ruin lives, I feel that's pretty obvious. I agree with pizza that more accusations are legit than not, however I don't feel that the potential of ruining an innocent person's life is a cost ever worth paying. Alan, I have no issue stating this to anyone, and I'm completely compassionate towards all victims of assault, I have no idea what you're getting at.

There's no sense in trying to reason with the unreasonable. I sincerely wish all victims of assault get the justice they deserve, and I fear the day an innocent person's life lays in the hands of another person's words alone. I'm out of this thread, I promised myself no more serious discussions on SLAP, and I'm remembering why. Have a good one guys, and be good to eachother.

Crislerheaven

• Rep: -6
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As soon as Nelson hears that anything is “small and intimate” he gets paranoid he’s not invited and goes crazy to get there, so he put his mind to it and got there through someone else. It turned out to be thousands of people there so when he saw Paul he said, “Small, intimate world, isn’t it?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2021, 08:53:30 AM »
I said false accusations have the POTENTIAL to ruin lives, I feel that's pretty obvious.

Why even bring this up? This sort of talk only serves to discredit the victim. Also, it's a weird sort of compassion to tell a victim that it's possible they're lying.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2021, 09:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Wasn’t there a situation just like this 6ish months ago. That girl called out some Washington or Oregon skater and said he was abusive and she’d been in touch with all of the guys ex girlfriends. Slap freaked out, and everyone got their pitchforks but a few day’s later that same girl made a slap account to explain she should’ve never posted those accusations in the first place and she only did it because they were going through a fight and she wanted the thread taken down because she knew he had changed for the better a long time ago. Sorry I don’t remember names and specifics.

I’m not saying that’s the case here, these accusations seem 100%, I’m just saying that it’s not always that cut and dry
What happened to the skater? Was his life destroyed?

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2021, 09:28:17 AM »
Damn i was hoping scumbag was a company or smth.
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn i was hoping scumbag was a company or smth.
[close]

I thought Al Davis left Quasi for Scum Co. & Sons....now I'm just sad on this rainy afternoon.

If these multiple accusations are true...I wonder if Quasi will kick him off

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2021, 09:54:54 AM »
Always found his skating super boring. Another skater with more style than substance. If these accusations are true I hope the victims get as much justice and support as possible.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2021, 10:03:04 AM »
oh fun, once again, dudes of slap not understanding sexual abuse and trauma. this will go super well

if this is true, it's a massive bummer, and i hope the women get the help and justice they deserve

I appreciate people like you.

To those who do not have a clue, do some reading that doesn’t involve this board and other nonsense.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2021, 10:05:33 AM »
how can someone switch tre so beautifully and be so ugly inside  :'(

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2021, 10:11:58 AM »
I have literally no useful opinion on Al's case in particular but I've been thinking lately-- you know what's interesting? I feel like the cancellations happen mostly to people that use their image to sell shit.

Like somehow, your ability to get publically called out is directly proportional to how much you use your name and image (or companies use them) in the public sphere, social media, etc. That's maybe why a public callout is so rife in skateboarding: the whole industry is based on image building and cults of personality. But its also true for politicians, huge influencers, actors, etc etc. Jim from your local paper companies' Accounting department with no instagram does not get cancelled in this fashion.

For a long time we were sold products because of his tasteful midwest ripper cool factor. And indeed the girl was responding to a Cons post, which is technically an ad cashing in on his public image to sell shoes.

I don't know quite what I'm getting at, but maybe when you work in an industry where you make money because your name and image is thrust into other peoples lives, then maybe you should expect some negative things to come from that. Yin/Yang, there's no free lunch, etc etc. If you want to run your sex life hard and fast and be aggro/creepy/forceful with women, just something to think about: your name is out there. You aren't some random dude. Yes, that's how you make your money, but there's gotta be downsides to skating for a living, traveling the world, and not doing 9-5 wage slave shit like the rest of us. this is probably one of them.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »
I have literally no useful opinion on Al's case in particular but I've been thinking lately-- you know what's interesting? I feel like the cancellations happen mostly to people that use their image to sell shit.

Like somehow, your ability to get publically called out is directly proportional to how much you use your name and image (or companies use them) in the public sphere, social media, etc. That's maybe why a public callout is so rife in skateboarding: the whole industry is based on image building and cults of personality. But its also true for politicians, huge influencers, actors, etc etc. Jim from your local paper companies' Accounting department with no instagram does not get cancelled in this fashion.

For a long time we were sold products because of his tasteful midwest ripper cool factor. And indeed the girl was responding to a Cons post, which is technically an ad cashing in on his public image to sell shoes.

I don't know quite what I'm getting at, but maybe when you work in an industry where you make money because your name and image is thrust into other peoples lives, then maybe you should expect some negative things to come from that. Yin/Yang, there's no free lunch, etc etc. If you want to run your sex life hard and fast and be aggro/creepy/forceful with women, just something to think about: your name is out there. You aren't some random dude. Yes, that's how you make your money, but there's gotta be downsides to skating for a living, traveling the world, and not doing 9-5 wage slave shit like the rest of us. this is probably one of them.

Imagine hearing a story about someone being a rapist and your chief concern is "cancel culture".

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2021, 10:21:39 AM »
Isn't that just a long winded way of saying only famous people get cancelled? That seems kind of obvious, you can't get cancelled if there's nothing to cancel you from. Although I'm with others in this thread that the whole notion of cancelling is bollocks anyway
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
perfectly said

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2021, 10:31:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Imagine hearing a story about someone being a rapist and your chief concern is "cancel culture".

yo... not my "chief concern" whatsoever and I almost instantly regret using the word "cancel" as it almost appears as though i'm belittling it. That's just the term that came to mind. Its just some side thoughts on social media and how it relates to an industry based on marketing and image.

Isn't that just a long winded way of saying only famous people get cancelled? That seems kind of obvious, you can't get cancelled if there's nothing to cancel you from.

yes, that's a more concise way of saying it.

But that's kind of the key right? It's so hard for me to even imagine feeling bad for the "accused". this is what you signed up for; trading being in the public sphere in order to sell shit to kids' parents and be able to have an alternative lifestyle.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2021, 10:53:58 AM »
Wait, wait, wait...a non-rich black dude that operates in mostly white spaces made it to eight rapes before it was reported to police?

We need to separate the persona from the crime and understand that people we like can do gross things, but also get the message out there that victims need to go to police with this stuff. Instagram or a Slap thread isn’t shit and has done nothing to any of the people accused.

I understand officers suck at believing women, but trust me...they’ll believe you a whole lot more when a non famous black guy is involved.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2021, 11:04:42 AM »
Wait, wait, wait...a non-rich black dude that operates in mostly white spaces made it to eight rapes before it was reported to police?

We need to separate the persona from the crime and understand that people we like can do gross things, but also get the message out there that victims need to go to police with this stuff. Instagram or a Slap thread isn’t shit and has done nothing to any of the people accused.

I understand officers suck at believing women, but trust me...they’ll believe you a whole lot more when a non famous black guy is involved.
Who's to say that they haven't?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Who's to say that they haven't?

Fair point, but if he was in a legal situation like that I don’t see a big corporation still backing him. Not dropping Nyjah is one thing, because of the money involved. But it’s nothing to let go of Al Davis.

Theseaorganization

• Rep: -41
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »
labor really put in work to make an ass of himself on this one

Actually that labor person is the only one seeing this in a rational way.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2021, 11:28:58 AM »
Expand Quote
labor really put in work to make an ass of himself on this one
[close]

Actually that labor person is the only one seeing this in a rational way.

Correct.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »
Maybe labor could argue that Al was merely asked to bust up 8 chifferobes.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

applejuice

• Rep: 10
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2021, 11:34:35 AM »
Wow I don't understand at all why they wouldn't go to the police after being raped...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/us/police-sexual-assaults-maryland-scope
Also this is entirely based off of convictions. How many do you think didn't get reported or further investigated? Probably the majority.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2021, 11:46:28 AM »
Wow I don't understand at all why they wouldn't go to the police after being raped...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/us/police-sexual-assaults-maryland-scope
Also this is entirely based off of convictions. How many do you think didn't get reported or further investigated? Probably the majority.

Yeah the police also get away with murder all the time, but they’re your go-to when a murder happens, not Instagram (well...unless you’re live streaming a police murder).