Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 210897 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 +
« Reply #390 on: July 12, 2021, 09:01:57 PM »
What are people's feelings about PS Stix atm? I know in the past people have said they are quite soggy after time. But the professor was on the Nine Club and is knowledge intrigues me. I thought with his know how and exposure in the scene, he'd be pumping out solid decks

The professor believes that the deck needs to flex like a spring to "give and give back" - it flexes to load the ollie and then flexes back to help you pop.  That is inherently a flexier deck  (aka 'soggy' to some) than some other woodshops, and much of Slap does not agree.  But that doesn't mean he's wrong.  It just means that it's a feel that some people like, and some don't.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1988
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #391 on: July 12, 2021, 10:03:00 PM »
Expand Quote
What are people's feelings about PS Stix atm? I know in the past people have said they are quite soggy after time. But the professor was on the Nine Club and is knowledge intrigues me. I thought with his know how and exposure in the scene, he'd be pumping out solid decks
[close]

The professor believes that the deck needs to flex like a spring to "give and give back" - it flexes to load the ollie and then flexes back to help you pop.  That is inherently a flexier deck  (aka 'soggy' to some) than some other woodshops, and much of Slap does not agree.  But that doesn't mean he's wrong.  It just means that it's a feel that some people like, and some don't.

If PS Stix is flexi, DSM R7 boards are the opposite of that with BBS / Generator right about the middle. DSM R7 boards are unforgivingly stiff to the point of discomfort but very long lasting.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2021, 10:24:32 PM »
Expand Quote
The cleaver website says made in mexico. And I think I remember Diego said in his (slam city?) interview they are made in mexico now.

Edit, found the interview:
https://blog.slamcity.com/catch-up-with-diego-bucchieri/

He said, he uses one of the three biggest manus in mexico. Whichever that is.
[close]

BBS, PS Stix or ASF / Clutch then.

Makes sense if he still has the connections, etc.

Cleaver is BBS iirc.

@rocklobster
I'm happy I'm not alone. Preduce is well-known actually and their decks are sold throughout Asia. Like mentioned before, even Europe discovered their brand a few years ago, they have retailers in Switzerland, UK, the Netherlands... so, I also guess, they must have at least good quality woods from China. One of my friends purchased two of their decks and he is really happy. He told me they confirmed China. So we can list them for now as "China" but unknown. They started 2002 or something, I guess. I also think they let their decks produce from one of the top teir woodshop there. Which of those we know can handle the fiber carbon ply? Santa Cruz is doing such things. Dwindle? No way LOL. Sure, you're right, quite difficult to track them all back. But I see a good chance. Let's try! We all love their graphics influenced by Thai culture. They are doing great. They also offer 8" width and 31.75" length and 14" WB (my friend's deck). But you mentioned "less popular woodshops in China"... but which of the less popular ones from China can deal with fiber carbon ply and epoxy resin glue at the same time  ;D Excel Woodshop??? Hmmm...

Regarding Santai, they are still quite unknown but skating scene is growing fast, just to mention Bali.

Dwindle/DSM can do full carbon top boards in addition to the impact insert ones. Colours does them from time to time and I've seen them pop up here and there from other brands as well.

Really anyone that uses epoxy can do them. They're a standard option at most of the big Chinese mfg but not a lot of people order them because of the cost. I believe they're a few dollars more per board which obviously adds up pretty quickly, especially for something that's really kind of a gimmick.

Best of the big manufacturers in my opinion. The wood is light and crispy but what really sets them apart are the molds. PS boards tend to be mellower than BBS or clutch (especially in the tail) which makes them very easy to skate and a blessing for old man legs. As has been stated, they have more flex than other manufacturers which some people have trouble adjusting to, but once you're used to it it's great. The only real negative I've found is durability. They do razor tail and wear out a little faster but its not a huge issue for me. If you're broke and want something that's going to last forever than you're better off looking for something like south central, otherwise I wholeheartedly approve of them. Just be aware they seem to have more molds and shapes than any other woodshop, so I'd definitely suggest checking them out in person to find one you like.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #393 on: July 12, 2021, 11:06:06 PM »
After skating a PS Stix made Send Help (very full shape like FA/Hockey but mellow) the current FA I have feels a bit too stiff, like it hurts my (old man) feet to stomp down tricks and I feel like I would prefer a little flex overall. It has also kept it’s stiffness suprisingly well and I assume this would be preferred by many people, I’m just kind of low-impact. Will try to grab a PS next time, I was looking at an 8.3 Quasi in the shop and it felt very thin and light in the hand. But then the Polar P2 looks interesting for a big nose fan as well…
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Heesley

• Rep: 3
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #394 on: July 13, 2021, 02:07:20 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Best of the big manufacturers in my opinion. The wood is light and crispy but what really sets them apart are the molds. PS boards tend to be mellower than BBS or clutch (especially in the tail) which makes them very easy to skate and a blessing for old man legs. As has been stated, they have more flex than other manufacturers which some people have trouble adjusting to, but once you're used to it it's great. The only real negative I've found is durability. They do razor tail and wear out a little faster but its not a huge issue for me. If you're broke and want something that's going to last forever than you're better off looking for something like south central, otherwise I wholeheartedly approve of them. Just be aware they seem to have more molds and shapes than any other woodshop, so I'd definitely suggest checking them out in person to find one you like.

Recently I heard ppl around me and also as to find as reviews online saying, PS Stix board last longer than usual. I had to give it a try and purchased a new Quasi (and I can herewith confirm by first look (and not feel) it‘s slightly mellower and tail looks really „classic“). But unfortunately weather here is so crap, nobody‘s out there. Rain all over almost every f*** day. Couldn‘t test and approve it so far. However, first impression is „quality“!

Regarding durability looks like they did something that ppl so far confirm in their reviews what makes me wonder. I think sth changed, wood alongside the edges might not crack or chip that easily anymore (depends on what you do with your board, I guess). We‘ll see…
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:31:22 AM by Heesley »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #395 on: July 13, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »
PS Stix decks are fine. I just find the measurements of the Professer very confusing. That's not how you get the real length of the deck.

Let's say I want a 31.7 length, what would the measurements for that be, in PS Stix style?
IG: @flowterspace

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #396 on: July 13, 2021, 02:38:05 PM »
PS Stix decks are fine. I just find the measurements of the Professer very confusing. That's not how you get the real length of the deck.

Let's say I want a 31.7 length, what would the measurements for that be, in PS Stix style?
32.125 - as for the measurements, I think the professor's theory of measuring length is the most accurate - if you cut your grip to 31.7, you wouldn't be able to cover the top of your board.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #397 on: July 13, 2021, 11:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
32.125 - as for the measurements, I think the professor's theory of measuring length is the most accurate - if you cut your grip to 31.7, you wouldn't be able to cover the top of your board.

Okay, yeah that makes sense.
So, minus 0.4 for all PS Stix decks, and I know the length in BBS style?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
« Reply #398 on: July 14, 2021, 03:14:05 AM »
After skating a PS Stix made Send Help (very full shape like FA/Hockey but mellow) the current FA I have feels a bit too stiff, like it hurts my (old man) feet to stomp down tricks and I feel like I would prefer a little flex overall. It has also kept it’s stiffness suprisingly well and I assume this would be preferred by many people, I’m just kind of low-impact. Will try to grab a PS next time, I was looking at an 8.3 Quasi in the shop and it felt very thin and light in the hand. But then the Polar P2 looks interesting for a big nose fan as well…

They're the best for old man skating. I pretty much only skate flat and curbs and they're great for that. They also have such a crazy array of shapes and molds that you should be able to find one that fits.

The Quasi square shape is probably the most popular and a bunch of other companies use it too. I've had snack, gx1000, doomsayers, scumco, strangelove, and probably a few others I'm forgetting that are the same mold and either the same shape or just very slightly tweaked. They also have a really nice flat mold that toy machine uses if you want something that feels like a 90s popsicle (albeit with a longer wb). If you're in the US and want to try a couple different shapes I'm selling a bunch of my lightly used boards. Most of the PS are 8.25 but there's a couple 8.37 as well. Shoot me a PM if you're interested or if you have any questions about PS boards, I'm not an expert or anything but I've tried a lot of them so I might be able to help.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #399 on: July 14, 2021, 04:46:32 AM »
To everyone who replied about PS Stix, thank you! Some good food for thought. Especially about the old man stuff haha. I just finished a Hockey, not sure if was PS but like some said, it did razor quicker than say a Real. But I did like the shape and fell even though it was pretty steep for what I usually enjoyed.

Might have a look into some PS squarer boards
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #400 on: July 14, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're the best for old man skating. I pretty much only skate flat and curbs and they're great for that. They also have such a crazy array of shapes and molds that you should be able to find one that fits.

The Quasi square shape is probably the most popular and a bunch of other companies use it too. I've had snack, gx1000, doomsayers, scumco, strangelove, and probably a few others I'm forgetting that are the same mold and either the same shape or just very slightly tweaked. They also have a really nice flat mold that toy machine uses if you want something that feels like a 90s popsicle (albeit with a longer wb). If you're in the US and want to try a couple different shapes I'm selling a bunch of my lightly used boards. Most of the PS are 8.25 but there's a couple 8.37 as well. Shoot me a PM if you're interested or if you have any questions about PS boards, I'm not an expert or anything but I've tried a lot of them so I might be able to help.
Thank you kindly for the offer, but I’m in northern europe. I’ll need to have a look at what they have in the shops, at least Quasi is very popular here and shouldn’t be hard to find.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #401 on: July 14, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »
I love that Seein The Sights deck from Snack but never bought one because they are PS. You guys are very convincing though.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #402 on: July 15, 2021, 04:15:04 AM »
can you guys give me a recommendation for decks with steep kicks and shortish wheelbase other than FA/hockey.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #403 on: July 15, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »
can you guys give me a recommendation for decks with steep kicks and shortish wheelbase other than FA/hockey.

AWS are pretty similar

al_cvbrera

« Reply #404 on: July 15, 2021, 08:43:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If PS Stix is flexi, DSM R7 boards are the opposite of that with BBS / Generator right about the middle. DSM R7 boards are unforgivingly stiff to the point of discomfort but very long lasting.
This is a very accurate description. PS Stix are in fact flexy, the WKND board I tried can attest to that, which was kind of disappointing because although a flexy deck doesn't always mean its a cheap deck, which the WKND deck obviously wasn't, flexy decks just aren't for me. DSM R7 decks are pretty stiff, but not uncomfortable I'd say. But i guess it depends on who is riding it to decide if its uncomfy or not. Madness decks from Dwindle are solid. BBS/Generator has made some of my favorite decks that I have ridden.

saltusnaut

« Reply #405 on: July 17, 2021, 07:58:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

AWS are pretty similar

are they as steep as FA?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: July 17, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

AWS are pretty similar
[close]

are they as steep as FA?

FA is way steeper
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #407 on: July 17, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »
define shortish: sub 14.25 or sub 14.38?

saltusnaut

« Reply #408 on: July 17, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
define shortish: sub 14.25 or sub 14.38?

sub 14.25 wb
as steep as fa/hockey dont want anything less steep. maybe if the tail is shorter so i get a comparable angle when popping

ThrashGnar

• Rep: 6
« Reply #409 on: July 17, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »
I can add a few / update:

Control -
Rave (everywhere)
Poetic Collective (USA)
Wayward Worldwide (everywhere) — <Snowy’s company from PWBC, not the same as Wayward Wheels>

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1131
« Reply #410 on: July 18, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »
Any guesses as to what shop this is?

Number 2 stamp on the top. Made in the US. Maybe one the smaller shops?

https://wholesaleskateboard.com/collections/blank-skateboard-decks

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #411 on: July 18, 2021, 11:25:07 AM »

American made from Asia. I'm confused.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #412 on: July 18, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
American made from Asia. I'm confused.

Their Asian decks say imported on the listing. Going by the pictures their Asia decks are have the size stamped on the top instead of a number.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: July 18, 2021, 08:17:18 PM »
Add em to the list!

American Gear Co Utah, apparently makes snowboards skinboards, skis, arcade cabinets and decks.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: July 19, 2021, 11:41:02 AM »
Add em to the list!

American Gear Co Utah, apparently makes snowboards skinboards, skis, arcade cabinets and decks.

"All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi.."

Not gonna lie, the one in the middle is sick.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #415 on: July 19, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Add em to the list!

[close]

"All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi.."

Not gonna lie, the one in the middle is sick.
Was going to say the same, also the top one looks good
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #416 on: July 20, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »
why the fuck is this not pinned
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: July 20, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »
why the fuck is this not pinned

At the moment it gets refreshed yearly, there is a 2019 and 2020 thread. Also the list is constantly updated.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #418 on: July 20, 2021, 09:26:19 PM »
Empire mfg in Illinois

LE_rik

• Rep: 4
« Reply #419 on: July 21, 2021, 08:22:58 AM »
Hey all and Thank You for all the information given in this post.

I just got a Giorgi Skate Mental Deck - I somehow expected it from BBS but it does not have the sticker I remeber from my last FA. No made in Mexico or something like that.
It has a blue little sticker with the 8.5 width and a Stamp in the wood with 9 0. Anyone who recognizes the current woodshop? In the list it's PS and Clutch.

Thanks, Erik