Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62728 times)

mareo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -336
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2021, 09:14:44 AM »
Although the amount of $$ involved is vastly different between the 2 activities, Nike has also stopped renewing many of their soccer contracts, even for really big stars, see Neymar. He left for Puma, and several other well known players are now not on the Nike pay roll any longer. Maybe a larger sponsorship restructuring across brand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0VtPkCDxQ

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »
Here's a comparison for perspective sake.

You have a small-town mom-and-pop hardware store.  They give back to your community, they live in your community, you know where they came from, they're friendly, etc.

Do they still sell pretty much the same shit as Home Depot? Yes. Same brands? Yes. Same manufacturers? Yes. 

Then Home Depot moves to town and opens up down the road. 

Are you gonna keep supporting your mom-and-pop hardware store? The one that gives you personal recommendations on purchases? Helps you out when in need? Gives back to your community? Puts dollars in the local economy?

Or are you gonna say fuck em? And justify that home depot is cheaper/better/bigger?

If your answer is Home Depot, you are the problem.  Not Home Depot, not the mom and pop, it's you as a consumer who has the fucking IQ of a toddler. 

Support within.  Community matters.  Conviction matters.  This isn't that hard.

if your mom and pop shop never had to do with anything you ever did on a skateboard because all they did was being in california shipping cheap china boards to europe for 70 dollars a board and once they do a demo in your hometown just sit around and let some AM's skate for them so they can make money from having a 2 min video part in 2004, may be than you will question it. Ill garanty you.

that goes for all the shitty brands not only crailtap. I had cheap ass 30 euro gildan shirts I REALLY WANTED BECAUSE SKATE CLOTHING IS IMPORTANT IF YOU SKATE MOM.

that's the amount of empathy I have for california skate companies in 2021 if you aren't making some cool stuff.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
Expand Quote

You have a small-town mom-and-pop hardware store.  They give back to your community, they live in your community, you know where they came from, they're friendly, etc.

Do they still sell pretty much the same shit as Home Depot? Yes. Same brands? Yes. Same manufacturers? Yes. 

Are you gonna keep supporting your mom-and-pop hardware store? The one that gives you personal recommendations on purchases? Helps you out when in need? Gives back to your community? Puts dollars in the local economy?

Or are you gonna say fuck em? And justify that home depot is cheaper/better/bigger?

If your answer is Home Depot, you are the problem.  Not Home Depot, not the mom and pop, it's you as a consumer who has the fucking IQ of a toddler. 

[close]

if your mom and pop shop never had to do with anything you ever did on a skateboard because all they did was being in california shipping cheap china boards to europe for 70 dollars a board and once they do a demo in your hometown just sit around and let some AM's skate for them so they can make money from having a 2 min video part in 2004, may be than you will question it. Ill garanty you.

that goes for all the shitty brands not only crailtap. I had cheap ass 30 euro gildan shirts I REALLY WANTED BECAUSE SKATE CLOTHING IS IMPORTANT IF YOU SKATE MOM.

that's the amount of empathy I have for california skate companies in 2021 if you aren't making some cool stuff.

You seem quite bitter with skating.

Which is ok.

I don't how ass licking nike and big corps is helping you though.n
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2021, 09:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i was honestly speaking more to the Nike vs. "skate operated" shoe situation...

in terms of hard goods, there is NO money to be made in that sector.  like...none. unless you're DLX or you have only 2 people on the payroll in the office. 

might as well support smaller deck companies or companies owned by homies or people in your region or city.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
The thing that is aggravating about Nike cutting down the skate program (if that is true) is that they are currently suppressing their own return on investment. SB Dunks are straight up on fire right now and if they mass released one black and white pair that anyone could buy at retail price it would probably pay for the skate program all by itself.

Mister big-brain-economics-101 over here is just giving away all of the secrets for free. You hear that Nike? Just make black and white dunks available and this will no longer "suppress your own return on investment".

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2021, 09:39:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a skate shoe. doesn't change the fact that no skater ever developed any part of a skate shoe ever in his live.
all ideas by nike and Adidas and some surfer at vans by doing shoes over 100 years so a son of a bitch from California could make millions by just using those informations and making his own shoe out of it. just so the consumer who doesn't know shit can point a finger at nike because they are the bad company because they don't even skate in office bro. bet they don't even smoke pot in there or shot gun a beer fucking lames.
[close]

How about DESIGN, ENDORSEMENT and in some cases MONEY.

Is that enough?
[close]

Yeah, that's a bullshit claim. Do they expect a skater to go to a Chinese factory and build them themselves? Sure, not every pro is going to design their own shoe these days but to say they're not involved whatsoever is BS
[close]

no I don't I expect them to not claim to be the holy gods in shoe business because the money they make isn't going straight into skateboarders pockets.

I know you love the idea that your shoe company looks like your local skate shop and the owner is like your skate shop owner and fights to make a living so you buy some goods from him and he's so thankful and brave and talk about how the years fly by and he's still there and you sit in front of the shop and its getting melancholy.
that's just stupid.
give me an example for a shoe technology made by a skater?

Whatever point you're trying to make, you're not making it. If you're trying to say it's not worth it to have skaters endorse shoes then I highly disagree. Nike wouldn't have a hold on the skate industry like this if it were not for their original team. So and So getting a check is what bought them legitimacy.

fs180

« Reply #306 on: May 06, 2021, 09:49:20 AM »
i don't need shoes by skateboards for gods sake. that's my whole point. why does everything I wear while riding a skateboard has to be skate related if they don't make the best product for skating nore do they support skating where im at?

the production isn't green the money isn't going to the places where I can see a growth of culture because of them so why would I care about some random skaters paycheck I never met and who would probably refuse to shake my hand?

its nothing but reminiscing over some old videos you guys have watched connecting product with the face of some handpicked dudes that most likely aren't even friends.

Miller92

« Reply #307 on: May 06, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »
i don't need shoes by skateboards for gods sake. that's my whole point. why does everything I wear while riding a skateboard has to be skate related if they don't make the best product for skating nore do they support skating where im at?

the production isn't green the money isn't going to the places where I can see a growth of culture because of them so why would I care about some random skaters paycheck I never met and who would probably refuse to shake my hand?

its nothing but reminiscing over some old videos you guys have watched connecting product with the face of some handpicked dudes that most likely aren't even friends.

no one says you HAVE to buy anything...

but your logic is fucking dumb.  if you cant discern the difference between where the profits of a company like Nike go and the profits of a Lakai or Sole Tech go, you literally don't understand what the argument is.

your "well what do I get out of it? I don't see how it supports ME!" logic is so fucking small brained. 

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »

Ho-lee fuck, this guy's getting me jazzed up!

Though I think Home Depot is part of the problem too...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #309 on: May 06, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »

But the screwdrivers at home depot have a pretty sick swoosh on the side !!

fs180

« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the moms and pops one was crafted by the souls of skate masters and love of the holy grail of skate community how dare you NOT TO BUY OUR SHITTY CHINA PRODUCT SCREWDRIVER! WE GAVE IT BACK TO YOU WHEN WE MADE A VIDEO 10 YEARS AGO BE THANKFUL!!!!! HOW ARENT YOU AWARE I DID A NOLLIE KICKFLIP IN 2001 THATS WHY YOU DO IT TODAY!

fs180

« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2021, 10:07:33 AM »
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2021, 10:12:04 AM »
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

This is the only cool thing you’ve said in this thread.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #313 on: May 06, 2021, 10:14:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the moms and pops one was crafted by the souls of skate masters and love of the holy grail of skate community how dare you NOT TO BUY OUR SHITTY CHINA PRODUCT SCREWDRIVER! WE GAVE IT BACK TO YOU WHEN WE MADE A VIDEO 10 YEARS AGO BE THANKFUL!!!!! HOW ARENT YOU AWARE I DID A NOLLIE KICKFLIP IN 2001 THATS WHY YOU DO IT TODAY!

baby wawa needs to get of the internet for a day or five
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #314 on: May 06, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
gqmom and pop/Home Depot metaphor is selling skater owned companies incredibly short. who cares about my personal relationship with some shoes. the common argument over the years is you support skater owned because they do more for skateboarding as a whole. Because they wont get caught out in 2021 cutting fucking Max Palmer from their skate program. Obviously a skater-owned company would not do that though they wouldn't even have the resources to put someone interesting on half the time. Because of big box shoe companies. THAT'S the argument. Not "service". The Blazer Mid still skates the same regardless of who the Nike CEO is.
Not that I agree that someone's shoe purchases make them stupid or whatever Miller (because that itself is baby-brained conscious consumer bullshit lol. Buy a Prius save the planet shit. Individual guilt abating that ultimately does nothing) Anyway I just don't think your approach is the common one. Especially considering I can go to shoes and gear and ask the NB guy about some shoes. Where's that for last resort or lakai?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #315 on: May 06, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »

The multi-national investment groups that owns all the non-Nike skate shoe companies thank you for this specious analogy.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mushroom slice

« Reply #316 on: May 06, 2021, 11:44:09 AM »
Michael Jordan wanted to be sponsored by adidas. They thought he was too short so he went to Nike instead. Blah blah blah everyone fucks up.

Miller92

« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2021, 11:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The multi-national investment groups that owns all the non-Nike skate shoe companies thank you for this specious analogy.

I'll still take "skater operated" over the now I guess non-existent "skater owned."

That counts for something, right?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2021, 12:10:28 PM »

Respect.

Support the brands and shops that care about our culture and not just our dollar.. it really isn’t hard.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2021, 12:12:28 PM »
Can someone explain to me why they think Nike is a good company to buy skate shoes from? Like, lay out an argument that's not based on "they're (all shoe companies) all bad (or the same)" or you're "you're clinging to the past." All I can really see is that the Nike logo holds some heavy micro-level social status flex, ie, wearing Nike is "cool" or fashionable. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't get it and would appreciate reading the take of y'all diehard Nike fans.

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
Can someone explain to me why they think Nike is a good company to buy skate shoes from? Like, lay out an argument that's not based on "they're (all shoe companies) all bad (or the same)" or you're "you're clinging to the past." All I can really see is that the Nike logo holds some heavy micro-level social status flex, ie, wearing Nike is "cool" or fashionable. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't get it and would appreciate reading the take of y'all diehard Nike fans.

This is also my question @manysnakes you make some good points about how every shoe company sucks and we're all victim of the 'skater-owned' facade but... there's still a difference ? And also I skate reeboks so I don't know where my consumer profile fits but I like the debate

edit : I also recognize the excellent quality of nike sb shoes, mostly just tired of seeing the swoosh everywhere I look

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #321 on: May 06, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »

Agree 100%

Will all the people standing up for nike admit to the following:

1. You care deeply about materialistic things, such as wearing “cool” shoes.
2. As a flow on effect of this, you choosing to support sports brands over skate brands is the reason skaters have little choice anymore when it comes to shoes and skate apparel.
3. You are happy to live in a world where you continue to make a business group rich over giving your dollar to people who care about more than that.
4. You don’t care about skating enough to actually support the brands that care about it.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #322 on: May 06, 2021, 01:02:13 PM »
I think there is only one person in this thread who is tepidly defending Nike, and they have made their point clear again and again. As I read it; they like the shoes, they think money that Nike put into the sport has been good for skateboarding (and that Nike spent money locally which improved their access to skating), and that they think there isn't a marked difference between Nike and a company operated by an international investment firm who bought into skateboarding when a shoe company went into receivership.

I don't think that Nike is inherently extremely different than numerous other corporations that operate in skateboarding, aside from being significantly more successful. Does anyone really think that Lakai wouldn't trade places with Nike if they could? Vans? New Balance? When this line of reasoning breaks down, we can see people start claiming these companies are "skater-operated", which is as far as I can tell, no different than Nike hiring people from the skate world to run their SB division.

As for the differences, if there's a difference for you, that's enough. You don't have to buy Nike, no one is making you. We all have our individual, discrete buying preferences, and maybe we rationalize them or maybe we don't.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #323 on: May 06, 2021, 01:20:38 PM »
I wouldn't consider myself a fan of nike, but coming from someone who buys a lot of shit, I can tell you that the QC of nike surpasses those of companies like lakai and sole tech. One specific example: I tried to get some reynolds 3's when they re-released and bought 3 pair of black/white, 2 pair brown/white, 1 black/black, and only one pair out of the 6 had a right shoe that fit the same as the left shoe. Maybe its the style of the model chosen, or bad luck? No - still happened with the Figgy Dose. Now you might think as I did, maybe my right foot is swollen/injured/just bigger than my left? I know that my two feet aren't identical. That could be the case if this happened also with nike/adidas/vans, but no, never happened with the big name brands. I have close to 100 shoes saved over the last 2 decades and this has only happened recently 2019-2020 emericas (reynolds and figgys) and lakais (staples).

Those experiences alone could make someone stick to the bigger companies because some tend to value quality over personal morals (especially when the morals of those who own those small skater-owned companies seem to revolve around money just as much as the big guys in this capitalist society.)

That said, I haven't given up on Emerica, they'll always be my favorite, and I look forward to the new Wino G6 Slip Cups - even if I have to buy multiples again.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #324 on: May 06, 2021, 01:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no one says you HAVE to buy anything...

but your logic is fucking dumb.  if you cant discern the difference between where the profits of a company like Nike go and the profits of a Lakai or Sole Tech go, you literally don't understand what the argument is.

your "well what do I get out of it? I don't see how it supports ME!" logic is so fucking small brained.

Nike flow deals in Germany also seem over now. Homie is pissed he has to buy shoes. ^^
IG: @flowterspace

fs180

« Reply #325 on: May 06, 2021, 02:01:15 PM »
Your gif fucking sucks it looks so german its insane

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #326 on: May 06, 2021, 02:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree 100%

Will all the people standing up for nike admit to the following:

1. You care deeply about materialistic things, such as wearing “cool” shoes.
2. As a flow on effect of this, you choosing to support sports brands over skate brands is the reason skaters have little choice anymore when it comes to shoes and skate apparel.
3. You are happy to live in a world where you continue to make a business group rich over giving your dollar to people who care about more than that.
4. You don’t care about skating enough to actually support the brands that care about it.

End thread
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #327 on: May 06, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »

Spot on, thank you kind sir.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1044
« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2021, 03:24:00 PM »
Gonna tell my kids Mike carrol and Rick Howard were mom and pop

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2021, 04:19:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a skate shoe. doesn't change the fact that no skater ever developed any part of a skate shoe ever in his live.
all ideas by nike and Adidas and some surfer at vans by doing shoes over 100 years so a son of a bitch from California could make millions by just using those informations and making his own shoe out of it. just so the consumer who doesn't know shit can point a finger at nike because they are the bad company because they don't even skate in office bro. bet they don't even smoke pot in there or shot gun a beer fucking lames.
[close]

How about DESIGN, ENDORSEMENT and in some cases MONEY.

Is that enough?
[close]

Yeah, that's a bullshit claim. Do they expect a skater to go to a Chinese factory and build them themselves? Sure, not every pro is going to design their own shoe these days but to say they're not involved whatsoever is BS
[close]

no I don't I expect them to not claim to be the holy gods in shoe business because the money they make isn't going straight into skateboarders pockets.

I know you love the idea that your shoe company looks like your local skate shop and the owner is like your skate shop owner and fights to make a living so you buy some goods from him and he's so thankful and brave and talk about how the years fly by and he's still there and you sit in front of the shop and its getting melancholy.
that's just stupid.
give me an example for a shoe technology made by a skater?

Sole Tech (started by a skater) built a skatepark purely for the skaters they followed to work on and test out the science of the skate shoes they made
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.