Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 40908 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2021, 03:29:56 AM »
Anybody here into the old stuff? Like territory days and the 80s/90s. I recently started watching AEW and seeing AA got me going on a nostalgia kick..

Also if anyone hasn't seen this yet or if you're a lapsed fan that's just wondering what's going on in the world of pro wrestling right now I HIGHLY recommend this little summary video series. It's so well done and perfectly encapsulates an awesome long term story. Start at part 1,light up a joint, and enjoy.

https://youtu.be/o0YJgm6Auz8

SHAQUEEFA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2022, 09:45:44 AM »
Well.

What did you guys think of the Royal Rumble?

I haven't been consistently watching WWE lately, and after watching on Saturday it was a really good reminder why.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2022, 10:28:36 AM »
It was terrible.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2022, 11:01:28 PM »
I thought the rumble sucked this year. But better news, Brian Kendrick’s wwe contract is over and he’ll be wrestling mox tomorrow on dynamite!

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
Yeah it sucked, I watched it in a bar and haven't followed WWE since WM last year so I didn't really realise it at the time but it was pretty terrible. The two winners were just awful choices especially Brock. I liked Seth vs Roman and didn't mind the DQ finish necessarily. Can't remember much else tbh
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Rocko

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2022, 04:08:17 PM »
I thought the rumble sucked this year. But better news, Brian Kendrick’s wwe contract is over and he’ll be wrestling mox tomorrow on dynamite!

Never mind
https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1489022121917521927?s=20&t=h2zYzXtBB1a8zJESD9RJCg

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2022, 04:34:31 PM »
This is the second album I ever bought

And I went to the Rodman Vs Karl Malone match and that's all I've got

Oh! And I still sing a song from GLOW about eating raw meat and from M.O.M. the first rap song in wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8sSd8bB_Iw

Sightunseen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2022, 04:40:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never mind
https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1489022121917521927?s=20&t=h2zYzXtBB1a8zJESD9RJCg

Goddamn that was quick! Those comments he made were horrendous though and good on AEW to sever their relationship immediately.
They just tweeted out they have a surprise for tonight… could it be Jeff hardy??
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »
They did kind of tease Jeff on the last episode of BTE. Also Shane McMahon is apparently gone from the wwe.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2022, 06:22:06 PM »
They did kind of tease Jeff on the last episode of BTE. Also Shane McMahon is apparently gone from the wwe.

Imagine Shane becomes All Elite, that’ll make dinner at the McMahon household interesting…

Man, the Rumble match was horrible too, and he was one of the main producers for it I read. Allegedly had a few matches scheduled for the next few PPVs too before getting canned. Who knows what’ll happen with him now.
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2022, 07:45:25 PM »
This is the second album I ever bought

And I went to the Rodman Vs Karl Malone match and that's all I've got

Oh! And I still sing a song from GLOW about eating raw meat and from M.O.M. the first rap song in wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8sSd8bB_Iw

You and I would get along. I think like 3 slots on my current playlist are wrestling related, and oddly enough 2 are ravishing related. Bonnie Tyler - ravishing (the instrumental was briefly hogan's theme between survivor and real American), Simply Ravishing (Rick Rude's awesome WCW theme), and then Jushin Liger's theme.

The rumble blew and I'd be lying if I said there isn't a little bit of schadenfreude. It's kind of hilarious to watch them scramble for talent after firing 60 people or something in the last year.

AEW is pretty bloated now too but I think they'll slowly trim the fat like Janela and Cage rather than cutting off full limbs at a time (with maniacal glee) like Vince. I don't really see a spot for Kendrick after the initial few "wow this guy can still go!" spotfests that I'm sure he'll have with the bucks and jungle boy and whoever else wants to say they wrestled one of the OGs on TV. I kind of feel like Hangman has lost a little of the steam he had coming off winning the belt, but they've shown themselves to be pretty adept at long term booking so I'm still on the bandwagon for now.

Edit: Lol that was fast. Not surprised that Kendrick is a kooky Nazi simp. I get that vibe from Kazarian too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:14:30 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Rocko

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2022, 08:08:19 PM »
Yeah Kendrick’s comments were super out of line. No idea he even said that stuff. Bummer because I was a fan of him, especially him and Paul London’s tag team run.

Regarding trimming the fat, I believe some of the early signees contracts will be up this year, including Joey janela and Brian cage, assuming they don’t re-sign or get an extension.

What’d y’all think about the mox/Danielson segment? When danielson first joined, I definitely thought about him taking either moriarty/Daniel Garcia/yuta under his wing, so I’m excited to see what TKs got planned for this.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2022, 07:31:22 PM »
sick thread. havent watched anything "new" since like 2002 or 2003, but i was obsessed as a kid (just turned 35). i used to have all the wrestling figures and the ring and loved watch from like 93-2000 or so? grew up with 2 brothers and i cant believe we didnt kill each other emulating wrestling moves.

these days:
1. peacock - watching all kinds of old documentaries. nWo, bret hart, shawn michaels, undertaker, etc. Saturday and Sunday morning, i like to find an old PPV. right now i'm on a royal rumble kick. watched 1992 last weekend. im gonna watch ppv's from 1992 - til i get sick of it. i love the old blue steel cage. undertaker coming up through the ring, everything was so sick back then.
2. shoot interviews - when im stoned and/or my gf is asleep, im watching kevin nash tell stories from the road. its insane to hear how these guys lived. it reminds me a lot of skateboarding in a weird way. they were just fucked up and did the job as needed. so many good stories in the shoot interviews but kevin nash in particular is my favorite to listen to.
3. wrestling figures - i was obsessed as a kid but never got all the ones i wanted. now i have a spreadsheet of the ones that i wanted and i look on eBay at the prices. i still never buy them but i spend a weird amount of time looking.

life is so weird. but nostalgia is the best. i just dont think i can get into the current wrestling. but the stuff from when i was 5-15 years old was the coolest thing on the planet and the whole industry is fascinating to me. i dont tell anyone about any of the above lol.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2022, 09:36:33 PM »
Instead of following the "What would Jesus do", i follow the "What would Stone cold Steve Austin do" religiously

gabba ghoul

• Rep: -12
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2022, 02:18:26 PM »
motherfuckas wanna act like they forgot about raven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5owYlsPcqrM

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2022, 10:21:50 PM »
sick thread. havent watched anything "new" since like 2002 or 2003, but i was obsessed as a kid (just turned 35). i used to have all the wrestling figures and the ring and loved watch from like 93-2000 or so? grew up with 2 brothers and i cant believe we didnt kill each other emulating wrestling moves.

these days:
1. peacock - watching all kinds of old documentaries. nWo, bret hart, shawn michaels, undertaker, etc. Saturday and Sunday morning, i like to find an old PPV. right now i'm on a royal rumble kick. watched 1992 last weekend. im gonna watch ppv's from 1992 - til i get sick of it. i love the old blue steel cage. undertaker coming up through the ring, everything was so sick back then.
2. shoot interviews - when im stoned and/or my gf is asleep, im watching kevin nash tell stories from the road. its insane to hear how these guys lived. it reminds me a lot of skateboarding in a weird way. they were just fucked up and did the job as needed. so many good stories in the shoot interviews but kevin nash in particular is my favorite to listen to.
3. wrestling figures - i was obsessed as a kid but never got all the ones i wanted. now i have a spreadsheet of the ones that i wanted and i look on eBay at the prices. i still never buy them but i spend a weird amount of time looking.

life is so weird. but nostalgia is the best. i just dont think i can get into the current wrestling. but the stuff from when i was 5-15 years old was the coolest thing on the planet and the whole industry is fascinating to me. i dont tell anyone about any of the above lol.

I'm around the same age and grew up as a little hulkamaniac... I think most of my childhood toys were WWF based and I hid my first glass pipe in a torn seam in my million dollar man wrestling buddy for years when I was a teenager. I was a closet fan for years but I don't give a fuck since I got back into it, I listen to Jim Cornette's drive-thru (basically a years long running shoot interview with TONS of road stories) and watch parts funknown videos on YouTube at work.

Along with the aforementioned Cornette podcasts, if you're a fan of the era I highly recommend checking out OSW review on YouTube. It's 3 Irish dudes watching and reviewing old wrestling and it's hilarious and highly entertaining. There's a lot of long running inside jokes so if you enjoy it I'd start from the beginning. They do storyline arcs like hulkamania, world powers collide, the Lex express, they've done some TNA and ECW stuff, and currently they're doing the Warrior in WCW storyline. It makes for fantastic stoned binge watching.. Lots of interesting background info and crazy backstage stories and it's well made and edited.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2022, 02:46:48 AM »
Randy Savage had the best promos.

https://youtu.be/p7xTAnUCLek

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2022, 02:53:10 AM »
Actually sat down and watched some of Dynamite live for the first time ever last night (kept trying to rewind to watch spots and fast forward through young bucks promos like I usually do haha).

These guys really are doing a cool job of blending smaller, athletic, indy style wrestling with attitude era WWF presentation and a touch of ecw/Japanese style hardcore. The Hangman Page vs Lance Archer deathmatch main event last night was brutal, bloody, had a nice creative twist, and Jake the snake looked awesome. Love seeing him living his best life. The buckshot spot was really cool, hangman is so fucking good at that sort of thing. He rarely messes it up despite how easy that would be to do... He reminds me a lot of AJ styles that way.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2022, 06:53:37 AM »
Dynamite was amazing last night, fell asleep during the main event as it was 3am here but will watch it again later. I haven't seen much of Keith Lee in NXT but his debut was brilliant

To those showing an interest in wrestling again I'd recommend not listening to Jim Cornette or you will probably start hating everything very quickly
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2022, 07:40:42 AM »
I grew up with AWA and NWA, did not really like the WWF. WWF seemed corny to me and my brother as kids. Then watched some early WCW (for Sting mostly). Took a break from watching there.. but I did enjoy WWF (Attitude era) and WCW (Nitro/Thunder era). LOVED ECW big time (I could go on for hours about that). KINDA stopped watching around when Cena was getting popular (2004?), but I did watch ROH (Ring of Honor) and was really hyped on that (CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Christopher Daniels, Austin Aries, etc.) Watched a bit of TNA, as they had some ROH guys and Raven, who I was a fan of from ECW/WCW. Watched a bit of WWE when CM Punk was in there, but legit stopped watching when he quit. I did see a few bits of him in AEW recently, got me hyped.

My fave dudes over the years...
-Road Warriors
-Ric Flair
-Randy Savage OH YEAAAH
-Curt Hennig
-Shawn Michaels
-Steve Austin
-Hollywood Hogan (I liked him as a heel only)
-Raven
-Kidman (underrated)
-Sting
-Foley
-Y2J (especially his WCW era)
-Steve Corino
-Tajiri
-Sabu
-CM Punk
-Kane
-Scott "BIG POPPA PUMP" Steiner (he made me laugh)
-Bret Hart
-Michael PS Hayes (Fabulous Freebirds!)
-the whole Von Erich family was awesome

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2022, 11:33:37 AM »
Hangman vs. Lance Archer was amazing last night. Great match, lots of blood. I wasn't watching wrestling during CM Punk's WWE run so I'm not marking out as hard as everybody else about him. But he is doing some good shit, and I love MJF, so that storyline is pretty great. Cody needs to go away. Jericho needs to be phased into commentary position that occasionally gets pulled into the ring when a proper storyline permits. His podcast is great.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2022, 12:14:38 AM »
Hangman vs. Lance Archer was amazing last night. Great match, lots of blood. I wasn't watching wrestling during CM Punk's WWE run so I'm not marking out as hard as everybody else about him. But he is doing some good shit, and I love MJF, so that storyline is pretty great. Cody needs to go away. Jericho needs to be phased into commentary position that occasionally gets pulled into the ring when a proper storyline permits. His podcast is great.

I love Cody. He knows exactly what he's doing and he's 100% old school carny deep down which I think wrestling needs in some form. My take is that he and Brandi are insufferable when they're on screen but that's the point - they're doing the Triple H/Steph thing but instead of smashing you over the head with it WWE style they let it happen slowly and grow organically. Plus if you like bloody old school southern wrasslin his match with Dustin back at the start of AEW is amazing.

I thought Hangman vs Archer was great too. Hangman never botches despite always doing these wild creative spots like that finish. Dude is so good, so smooth. Definitely has the potential to be this generation's HBK. Archer has gotten a lot better since his days as "that tall dude with a tramp stamp" too. I loved Jake the snake and Dan Lambert taking down the top rope to eliminate the buckshot lariat - kayfabe logic is seriously the best.

I also wasn't watching during Punk's run and he's not my cup of tea in the ring but I enjoy his promo battles. The Eddie Kingston program was good and I'm a huge MJF mark so obviously I'm enjoying the current stuff. Also love what they're doing with Wardlow.

Jericho I can't give an unbiased opinion on. He's a bloated egomaniac these days by a lot of accounts but he was my favorite cruiserweight in wcw even before he turned heel and I was so happy he finally got his due in the fed so I've been a fan of his for most of my life at this point. I'll probably always enjoy whatever he does. Dark side of the ring is a fucking masterpiece too.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2022, 12:18:42 PM »
@SHAQUEEFA

Taken from Cody Rhodes’ Twitter.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2022, 01:23:51 AM »
The fact I'm still not sure if this is actually happening or just Cody and TK creating an incredibly elaborate way to do an "unexpected return" moment at a future ppv is great. I honestly don't care if he goes back to the fed as I'm pretty indifferent towards everything he's done for the last year. If he does that I can't wait to see how Vince tries to cover up the awful neck tattoo because you know that thing would make his dinosaur blood boil.

Does anyone watch BTE? It's mostly shit but some of it is gold, the dark order stuff is always great and I'm curious to see how they integrate danhausen.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2022, 07:05:22 AM »
Man, elimination chamber was pretty bad.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2022, 12:32:16 PM »
Man, elimination chamber was pretty bad.

I didn't even bother. I haven't really fucked with the fed in months.. But I did see that madcap moss botch. Ouch. That was some 90s All-japan kings road shit.

Dynamite was meh.Dark and elevation both sucked this week too (still can't believe I'm regularly watching dark matches on YouTube) but I guess they can't all be bangers. I'm definitely looking forward to the big man ladder match with Keith Lee/Powerhouse Hobbs/Wardlow. Adam Cole vs Hangman could be great if they don't get too indy with it too.

I'm already sick of Danhausen.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2022, 07:23:44 PM »
Gonna get stoned and try to watch Dynamite live. Let's see how long they hold my attention when I don't have a fast forward button. I missed the first half hour but let's go.

- MJF promo. He's actually fake crying on command. Real tears. This motherfucker is so good hahaha. Please don't be the jew boy promo. Fuck. It's the jew boy promo. Kinda. I guess they just wanted to get it out to a wider audience but I feel like he could have done that promo without including it. Really hope they aren't going to try to make him a tweener and this is just a setup for the most offensive and villainous thing he's done yet.

- Kings of the Black Throne vs Death Triangle? Holy shit this should be a banger. Kotbt new music and entrance is sick. Holy fuck Penta oscuro looks fucking insane. That's some papa shango shit and I love it. Match is kinda meh... Oh ok that's because it was an angle. Murphy's debut.. But now he's Buddy Matthews. And he's in the house of black? I don't love it, he doesn't fit with the spooky evil dudes. Best part about this segment was the entrances.

- Kingston vs Jericho promo now. Jericho definitely still has it on the mic. Truly one of the best to ever do it. Kingston is dressed like Kalis, l wonder if he's got a fakie flip. He's overmatched against Jericho on the mic though. The "tougher than thou new York guy" act doesn't really work for me in situations like this. Jericho looks like he's in better shape than he has in a while (probably juicing again), hopefully his performance in the ring matches.

- Ricky Starks vs 10 next. This seems like it should be on dark.  Starks wins by spinning 10's mask to break the full nelson. Creative finish, not a bad filler match.

- Jade Cargill vs The Bunny. This seems like it should be on elevation. I really don't want to watch this. I don't like Jade and Bunny is TNA quality at best. Thank God it went straight to commercial so I can take a piss and smoke a bong. Not even Matt Hardy and Smart Mark doing his best Jim Cornette impersonation can save this. The whole thing sucked but at least I got to see Anna Jay and her amazing butt at the end.

- OK wow Bryan Danielson vs Daniel Garcia next. This should be a treat for the marks. Danielson is so good at this point. Starting out hot going into the break but I feel like they're going to run out of time. A match like this needs 20-30 minutes for them to get all their shit in. Crowd is surprisingly dead. Can't tell if Garcia is great at selling or wrestling Danielson just hurts that bad. OK this is getting good. Those submission transitions with the little stomps and kicks were amazing. Damn it they ran out of time just as it was getting good.

- Moxley vs Danielson just got booked for revolution. That's someone's dream match, just not mine.

Overall that was actually enjoyable. I could have easily watched a few more matches. MJF promo, Danielson vs Garcia, and penta oscuro's entrance were the best parts of the show for me.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2022, 06:16:41 AM »
Thanks for the recap!

I fell asleep during the tag match. Not from boredom, just tired and stoned.

MJF is fucking money. Mox vs. Danielson man, they gonna beat the shit out of each other.

Can't wait.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2022, 12:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the recap!

I fell asleep during the tag match. Not from boredom, just tired and stoned.

MJF is fucking money. Mox vs. Danielson man, they gonna beat the shit out of each other.

Can't wait.

Honestly you didn't miss too much after that. If you get bored the last 10 minutes of Garcia/Danielson is worth seeking out but otherwise it was mostly a long revolution hype package.

I'm about to go skate to the store for some munchies but when I get back I'm gonna fire up some garlic cookies and watch dark. Its usually worth it just for taz and Excalibur but I'm enjoying watching some of the young talent develop. I might actually nut up and buy the ppv just to show some love to TK.

P.S. - speaking of nutting, apparently this week has both Julia Hart and Skye Blue.

Chris

• Rep: 12
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2022, 01:39:22 PM »
http://oswreview.com/episodes/

This is the best shit.