Author Topic: Will U Watch "Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Of" Documentary?  (Read 14295 times)

manysnakes

Re: Will U Watch "Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Of" Documentary?
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2022, 07:03:06 AM »
Just finished watching it and man was that beautiful. I was so surprised they got Neil Blender to talk in be in it. Mullen spoke so eloquently especially at the end. There should a an hbo style documentary on him. Duane Peter's is a fucking asshole. Saying that shit about his dad right after he passed away. Tony showed class at that moment. The ending really got to me and made me think of my own mortality. When Lance talked about all the concussions and saying he may have CTE shocked me. Made me think that Tony may end up like his mom in the beginning of the doc which I really hope he doesn't. Overall I'll give this and 8.5/10.

When Lance was on the 9 Club, a number of people here speculated that he might have CTE. I didn’t hear it personally, but we have the first generation of pro skaters now approaching the age where we might see it manifesting. That was what Grosso speculated happened to Duane, why he went so far off the deep end.

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2022, 07:22:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
am i the only person that cannot stand rodney mullen?
[close]

i don’t fuck with him
[close]
Yeah done with Rodney.  Going forward any documentary talking about important skateboard history™ needs to swap Rodney with Mark Gonzales who is the real reason we are all here.
[close]

lol uhhh wut...
If you are old enough to have been around then you'd agree. Few cared about Rodney, everyone you knew had the Mark Gonzales vision board.
Rodney did it all almost stationary on flat on boards that you couldn't even find in most shops.  Mark took that and straight up invented modern street skating with it.  Transworld agrees, Thrasher agrees....you not knowing furthers my point that a documentary on Gonz needs to be made ASAP.  Isn't really even arguable.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2022, 07:34:13 AM »
maybe if it ends up on Netflix, but only to hear Blender's and Lance's stories/perspectives...never gave a fuck about Hawk in the 80s and he's only consistently gotten cornier since--perhaps a generational thing, but i never thought skateboarding needed an "ambassador" to mainstream consumer culture and i've never liked tricks that involve spinning really...i love that i read above that Blender says he never even tried a 540...of course he didn't.

in re Duane's insensitivity towards Frank Hawk's death and the suggestions that the documentary needed Grosso, i would say Grosso hated Frank Hawk (i.e. the NSA) as much as--if not more than--anyone back then

difference is, Grosso grew up and realized how meaningless these things really are in the long run, Duane unfortunately still has not and assumedly never will at this point...

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -173
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2022, 07:40:00 AM »
maybe if it ends up on Netflix, but only to hear Blender's and Lance's stories/perspectives...never gave a fuck about Hawk in the 80s and he's only consistently gotten cornier since--perhaps a generational thing, but i never thought skateboarding needed an "ambassador" to mainstream consumer culture and i've never liked tricks that involve spinning really...i love that i read above that Blender says he never even tried a 540...of course he didn't.

in re Duane's insensitivity towards Frank Hawk's death and the suggestions that the documentary needed Grosso, i would say Grosso hated Frank Hawk (i.e. the NSA) as much as--if not more than--anyone back then

difference is, Grosso grew up and realized how meaningless these things really are in the long run, Duane unfortunately still has not and assumedly never will at this point...

not that i'm stanning for duane peters but posts like this are why people should stop critiquing things that they obviously (even admittedly) didn't watch
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2022, 07:43:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i don’t fuck with him
[close]
Yeah done with Rodney.  Going forward any documentary talking about important skateboard history™ needs to swap Rodney with Mark Gonzales who is the real reason we are all here.
[close]

lol uhhh wut...
[close]
If you are old enough to have been around then you'd agree. Few cared about Rodney, everyone you knew had the Mark Gonzales vision board.
Rodney did it all almost stationary on flat on boards that you couldn't even find in most shops.  Mark took that and straight up invented modern street skating with it.  Transworld agrees, Thrasher agrees....you not knowing furthers my point that a documentary on Gonz needs to be made ASAP.  Isn't really even arguable.

there's a pretty legendary photo of Mark Gonzales, Natas, Steve Rocco, and Rodney Mullen all sitting together lurking at one of the Oceanside contests, way back when, that i can not find--i think it was a "subscribe" page in Thrasher. either way, i think all of those pillars would say that they were equally feeding off of each other. i know i have read that Mark Gonzales credits Rodney with inspiring them to start flipping the board on street boards, whether Mullen was doing things slowly or stationary or not...and i agree about a Gonz documentary, which would inevitably involve talking to all of the above...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2022, 07:44:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

not that i'm stanning for duane peters but posts like this are why people should stop critiquing things that they obviously (even admittedly) didn't watch

huh?

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 121
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2022, 08:13:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Just finished watching it and man was that beautiful. I was so surprised they got Neil Blender to talk in be in it. Mullen spoke so eloquently especially at the end. There should a an hbo style documentary on him. Duane Peter's is a fucking asshole. Saying that shit about his dad right after he passed away. Tony showed class at that moment. The ending really got to me and made me think of my own mortality. When Lance talked about all the concussions and saying he may have CTE shocked me. Made me think that Tony may end up like his mom in the beginning of the doc which I really hope he doesn't. Overall I'll give this and 8.5/10.
[close]

When Lance was on the 9 Club, a number of people here speculated that he might have CTE. I didn’t hear it personally, but we have the first generation of pro skaters now approaching the age where we might see it manifesting. That was what Grosso speculated happened to Duane, why he went so far off the deep end.

He's definitely got something going on. He says some pretty bigoted shit, but its also hard to take his "beliefs" seriously because the more you watch him talk, the less sense he makes. Like, he's borderline incoherent.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2022, 09:25:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Yes

Edit- I watched part of it already. I don’t know why they included DP except maybe to show viewers how lucky skateboarding is that we got Tony Hawk as the household name instead of any of the dozen or so other assholes it could have been.
[close]

I was surprised they had so much Duane in it. It kind of made me sad knowing Jeff Grosso isn't around anymore and would have definitely have been apart of this.

Maybe it was me, but I found the whole "We're going to die doing this" section at the end to be a little odd. Maybe, it's just me in denial of aging and the fact that skating is going to leave myself chronically hurt.
Yeah m we’re all fucked. It’s going to a long few decades for me between now and those replacements joints. But skateboarding is still the best thing so fuck it

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2022, 09:56:14 AM »
Planning on watching it tonight on HBO Max.

I'm getting the feeling that Jeremy Klein was not interviewed for this which was a mistake on the documentarians' part I feel.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2022, 09:58:48 AM »
So, did he and the rest of the Bones Brigade, you know, circle-jerk back in the day?

Miller92

• Rep: -280
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2022, 12:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i don’t fuck with him
[close]
[close]

lol uhhh wut...
[close]

it doesn't have to be either or...

There is no Gonz without Rodney.  There is no Natas without Rodney.  Arguably skateboarding wouldn't exist in its current state without the foundation of Rodney and his tinkering.  Of course, those guys saw that and ran with it.  the answer is nuanced.  even your comment that Gonz "invented modern street skating" is literally stupid.  that's like saying George Washington created the United States.  there are so many influential people and figures that informed so much of what he did that he himself alone can't be the sole proprietor of "modern street skating" and he would be the first to admit that.  Is he the most beloved? maybe.  but its not black and white and it's not this guy or that guy. 

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »
Heres my perspective skating from 87 to 91 then 96/97 in  the UK. Mullen was not cool, nobody was into his freestyle tricks and he had just some bit parts in the Bones vids. Over the years skaters have looked back and given him much more respect and rightly so. But was he influential st the time? No, I dont think so. Gonz, Natus et al were doing their own thing. Remember this was pre-internet when nobody knew who was doing what until a new vid came out. It was difficult to tell exactly what some of the tricks were in the mags.
Back then the pro skaters were all big innovative characters who fed of themselves. Its different now.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2022, 02:03:16 PM »
Funny story, one of my homies who’s getting back into skating and not at all in tune with skate media texted asked me if the line out in front of the skate shop at 8:00 on a Sunday morning were waiting for the tony hawk documentary. It was the Oski dunk release, but it was pretty funny

so HSU me

• Rep: -2
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2022, 02:10:00 PM »
I cannot stand to listen to Rodney talk. He's so slow with every word and acts like everything he's saying is some kind of cosmic revelation. Also has he gotten his nasty ass dead tooth fixed? Dudes a fucking millionaire with a stinky black tooth just hanging out every time he opens his fucking mouth.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2022, 02:24:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yes

Edit- I watched part of it already. I don’t know why they included DP except maybe to show viewers how lucky skateboarding is that we got Tony Hawk as the household name instead of any of the dozen or so other assholes it could have been.
[close]

I was surprised they had so much Duane in it. It kind of made me sad knowing Jeff Grosso isn't around anymore and would have definitely have been apart of this.

Maybe it was me, but I found the whole "We're going to die doing this" section at the end to be a little odd. Maybe, it's just me in denial of aging and the fact that skating is going to leave myself chronically hurt.
[close]
Yeah m we’re all fucked. It’s going to a long few decades for me between now and those replacements joints. But skateboarding is still the best thing so fuck it

I kind of realized recently that the Bones Brigade generation might be the oldest generation of skateboarding superstars. So they'll sort of be the first case study of what a lifetime of high impact skateboarding does as you hit 70, 80 and 90.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

manysnakes

« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2022, 02:28:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I cannot stand to listen to Rodney talk. He's so slow with every word and acts like everything he's saying is some kind of cosmic revelation. Also has he gotten his nasty ass dead tooth fixed? Dudes a fucking millionaire with a stinky black tooth just hanging out every time he opens his fucking mouth.

His teeth are fixed but yeah it was kinda crazy that some dude with multiple millions of dollars just had teeth rotting out of the front of his face. Is it the Bones Brigade doc where he’s clearly shot from the top down and in shadow to conceal the decay? I know I’ve seen it somewhere.

I grew up on the Powell videos and I was 11 when “Questionable” was released, so I was along for the whole ride. The world was a different place then, and there was less of a hive-mind consensus than there is now, but my friends and I all loved Rodney and enjoyed seeing him transform from freestyler into street skater. The tricks he created and his parts in those nearly every video he's ever made have been absolutely groundbreaking and anyone who says otherwise is just engaging in contrarianism.

That said, he seems high on his own supply. The way he talks about skating I find to be frankly annoying and alienating, which is probably why so many people reject the “Mullen” narrative of skate development.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:41:43 PM by manysnakes »

manysnakes

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yes

[close]

[close]
[close]

I kind of realized recently that the Bones Brigade generation might be the oldest generation of skateboarding superstars. So they'll sort of be the first case study of what a lifetime of high impact skateboarding does as you hit 70, 80 and 90.

They are also the generation who really pushed the sport into the shape it has taken now. Skateboarding was always dangerous, but obviously it got a lot more so once skaters stopped early grabbing 3” above the coping and started spinning around wildly.

drcroc

« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2022, 03:04:38 PM »
There have been plenty of Tony Hawk videos and I even read his book when it came out way back when... Won't be watching.

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2022, 03:23:06 PM »
Heres my perspective skating from 87 to 91 then 96/97 in  the UK. Mullen was not cool, nobody was into his freestyle tricks and he had just some bit parts in the Bones vids. Over the years skaters have looked back and given him much more respect and rightly so. But was he influential st the time? No, I dont think so. Gonz, Natus et al were doing their own thing. Remember this was pre-internet when nobody knew who was doing what until a new vid came out. It was difficult to tell exactly what some of the tricks were in the mags.
Back then the pro skaters were all big innovative characters who fed of themselves. Its different now.

He was super influential to the people that mattered. All the skaters that saw him do it in person realized how far ahead he was. People like Tony Gonz and Natas were literally taking his moves to the street and ramp. You couldnt really see Rodney's tricks in the magazine. We were wowed by his video parts, but it wasnt something we would try to do mainly because our boards were different (fat fish tailed boards vs his thin 2x4 shape.) If the street or ramp pros could do it, we would try to do it. But taking kickflips or impossibles was way to hard for us at the time.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2022, 04:49:32 PM »
But he was a freestyler……

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1153
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2022, 07:17:07 PM »
When lance said we’re grandpas flying through the air, that really struck me

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2022, 08:16:48 PM »
Rodney invented the flat ground ollie.  everything we do can be traced back directly to him.  end of. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -173
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2022, 09:03:58 PM »
Rodney invented the flat ground ollie.  everything we do can be traced back directly to him.  end of.
i hate this mentality. so what? you think if he hadn’t nobody else would have?
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2022, 09:09:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i hate this mentality. so what? you think if he hadn’t nobody else would have?

no I don't, not that decade at least

don't know why its so hard to give credit where its due
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Merman

• Rep: -35
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2022, 09:45:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He's definitely got something going on. He says some pretty bigoted shit, but its also hard to take his "beliefs" seriously because the more you watch him talk, the less sense he makes. Like, he's borderline incoherent.

Why are people so eager to take agency away Duane Peters' behavior? ? CTE? Something going on? If history means anything, the only thing Duane has going on is that he is a horrible, awful human being. A young John Cardiel tries to be friendly to him and he spits blood in his face. He's terrorized not just Tony but also Mike V when they were wiry kids and Duane, 8 years their senior, was a grown adult. Tony' HBO documentary only reinforces the fact that Duane was and has always been a colossal fuckhead with no assistance necessary from brain damage. And nowadays he uses his dwindling fame to spread messages of bigotry and xenophobia on social media. That’s just what you'd expect. He's always been a toxic cesspool.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2022, 10:07:38 PM »
For the record, Rodney acknowledges that others were doing flat ground ollies before him. He only claims to have developed the modern method of leveling the board, at its apogee, that has become standard. I know this because he likes to talk about his achievements and run ads reminding us of his influence.

dilbert1

• Rep: 143
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2022, 11:00:00 PM »
my favorite skaters of all time are the GONZ and NATAS to me they are like Goku and Vegeta you just cant fuck with the classics

Compared to Hawk their swag was super saiyan yo

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2022, 03:37:49 AM »
Watched the first ten minutes and started tearing up. 

It's great to think what a wide audience this could have.

Re: the Mullen talk above: maybe I was in a different universe but Mullen was as loved and respected as Gonz, Natas, Hawk where I was from.  And once Klein focused his board it was on another level. 

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 121
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2022, 04:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Why are people so eager to take agency away Duane Peters' behavior? ? CTE? Something going on? If history means anything, the only thing Duane has going on is that he is a horrible, awful human being. A young John Cardiel tries to be friendly to him and he spits blood in his face. He's terrorized not just Tony but also Mike V when they were wiry kids and Duane, 8 years their senior, was a grown adult. Tony' HBO documentary only reinforces the fact that Duane was and has always been a colossal fuckhead with no assistance necessary from brain damage. And nowadays he uses his dwindling fame to spread messages of bigotry and xenophobia on social media. That’s just what you'd expect. He's always been a toxic cesspool.

I’m talking about Duane Peters, today. Have you seen/read his ramblings? They make absolutely zero sense, like man yelling at mailbox on the street makes no sense. Being an asshole and being an asshole that is losing touch with reality aren’t mutually exclusive.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2022, 05:20:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

huh?

Duane had some semi redeemable quotes where he semi alluded to regretting being such a dickhead. They were in the documentary we’re talking about that you didn’t watch, that’s what he’s saying to you.

also spinning is one of the sickest parts of skating
p-shuvs and v-flips