Author Topic: The Nice Club  (Read 33666 times)

Miller92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -282
Re: The Nice Club
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »
I am a longtime listener of The Nine Club, and find the nice guy routine a little tiresome and clearly forced. They all seem terrified of losing their marginal positions within the skate industry without realizing they are probably more powerful than their employers at this point as far as influence.

I can handle the format of the show when it’s older pros and filmers from my era (90’s and 00’s), but I really lose interest in the circle jerks with newer pros and people who I have never heard of half the time. I also don’t understand how and why they can’t get on more legends who I know for a fact they have relationships with. The Bunt is a great alternative for more authentic skateboard culture, but can also be a little too inside joke-y and Canada centric for my tastes

everyone you've ever wanted on the show has clearly been asked. a lot of guys and gals simply aren't interested in hearing themselves talk for 3 hours.  People like Gonz, Guy, Spike, Koston, Meg, etc. Eventually, I can see them coming on but they're working with what they can get, despite the perception that people are dying and clawing their way to get on the show.  they've talked about it at length. 

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
These Nine club defenders have to be mentally challenged or bereft of the ability to think critically. All us critique'rs are saying is the show is extremely disingenuous and, though they're actions, it can be discerned the parties involved lack any amount of integrity. No go bet on shaving your balls kooks.
[close]

ur a fucking weirdo
[close]

Better then being an ignorant douche who can't spell. Weirdo's are my heroes.

edit - By the way Miller, I'm ignoring you now so
direct your incompetent trolling towards others from now on.

this guy sent me a threatening message and then blocked me ::) dude's got problems

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2021, 05:49:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I am a longtime listener of The Nine Club, and find the nice guy routine a little tiresome and clearly forced. They all seem terrified of losing their marginal positions within the skate industry without realizing they are probably more powerful than their employers at this point as far as influence.

I can handle the format of the show when it’s older pros and filmers from my era (90’s and 00’s), but I really lose interest in the circle jerks with newer pros and people who I have never heard of half the time. I also don’t understand how and why they can’t get on more legends who I know for a fact they have relationships with. The Bunt is a great alternative for more authentic skateboard culture, but can also be a little too inside joke-y and Canada centric for my tastes
[close]

everyone you've ever wanted on the show has clearly been asked. a lot of guys and gals simply aren't interested in hearing themselves talk for 3 hours.  People like Gonz, Guy, Spike, Koston, Meg, etc. Eventually, I can see them coming on but they're working with what they can get, despite the perception that people are dying and clawing their way to get on the show.  they've talked about it at length.

I get that, but there a lot of other 90’s era guys who have done long form interviews with seemingly anyone who asks. I mean Guy has done like 3 full length documentaries about his life? Seems odd he would adamantly deny 2 former teammates an interview.

Ed Templeton and Kalis are two other head scratcher non-guests as well

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2021, 06:31:21 PM »

Well said

everythingisgreat

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
These Nine club defenders have to be mentally challenged or bereft of the ability to think critically. All us critique'rs are saying is the show is extremely disingenuous and, though they're actions, it can be discerned the parties involved lack any amount of integrity. Now go bet on shaving your balls kooks.
[close]

I think it’s like… the Nine Club has established who they are and what they are about years ago, yet 5 years in someone takes issue with their lack of hard hitting questions. It’s like taking issue with pro wrestling being fake in 2021. I thought it was understood years ago what we were doing here.
[close]
I agree, but of course things deserving of criticism continue to be unless something's changed. I'm tired of the argument too but here we are again somehow. I didn't want to add to this thread but the fans of this show who always respond with "they're just trying to play nice with everyone, what's wrong with that?" are just too annoyingly naive for me to sit it out. At it's core the show's disingenuous which as far as I'm concerned is synonymous with being a "Poser".

I think people are really just disappointed that the 9 club is probably the skate-pod with the highest level of visibility yet the host/creator's seem much more interested in the monetary aspects of podcasting than skateboarding. I don't exactly love the Bunt but their enthusiasm is genuine and they do great prep for their interviews in comparison; you can tell it's not their main gig but it's a real passion project and I can appreciate that effort.

I don't think people want or expect "hard hitting" questions; I don't think any skate-cast needs that, but better, more specific questions per interview would be nice. At least ask questions that may provide some clarification when the situation obviously needs it. For instance, they should have been more articulate during Jason Jesse's interview and at least followed up with Appleyard after his plan-demic/David Icke comments.

I need to hear more about Appleyard and this

everythingisgreat

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »
Intro:

*Corn on the Crob*

“Wellllll we are Bad, we’re Bad here at The Nine Club”

everythingisgreat

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2021, 06:36:43 PM »
Also can someone please mock up a graphic of a corn on the Crob? I smell a chocolate graphic

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2021, 06:46:53 PM »
I don’t mind the meta digressions on the experience too much but agree it should stay out of the main interview show. They were just disrespectful to Jose Rojo with going off on tangents and it seems more and more common.

Everyone asking for a critical podcast where they throw metrics and monetization out the window are crazed. They can only keep doing the show because they’re making money. Plenty of other podcasts have come and gone.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

i halfcab board ledges

• Rep: 12
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2021, 08:27:57 PM »
I like being able to hear from skaters on it but have never been a fan of the experience
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2021, 12:57:54 AM »
You wanna know something about the Bunt that will blow your mind?

When I finally saw a picture of Matty Matheson he looked NOTHING like the picture I had inside my head after hearing him on the Bunt saying 'This is literally the best pizza......'
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2021, 01:01:49 AM »
We need Tim O'Connor back to deliver some proper filth

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2021, 01:10:01 AM »

When I finally saw a picture of Matty Matheson he looked NOTHING like the picture I had inside my head after hearing him on the Bunt saying 'This is literally the best pizza......'

haha. In my head he sounded like some Paton Oswald looking mothafucka. I guess I wasn't too far off.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2021, 01:56:45 AM »
This Bill Weiss interview is good. Nothing wrong with the nine club its a solid show.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 76
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2021, 02:20:20 AM »
Where is Roger these days? I don't keep that up to date with the Nice Club so I don't know the reason behind him being absent. Anyone know what's going on? Used to like when he would chime in, he always has something sage to say, him and Jeron.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2021, 02:36:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

haha. In my head he sounded like some Paton Oswald looking mothafucka. I guess I wasn't too far off.

In my head he looked like the  Head of the Orphanage from the first Problem Child movie. Gilbert Gottfried I think it is.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2021, 03:27:28 AM »
I liked when people went from sucking off jason jesse, giving him a part after the credits in the Cons video + that Nike check, tricks in boys of summer, down with everyone bc he’s such a cool legend… to remembering he said he wanted to “grind her fuckin bones down, man…until they’re small enough pieces to put in a blender and drink it. Just so I can shit her out. That’s how I’ve felt for a while now, ever since she had this black boyfriend. I’m not gonna let her live that shit down ever. You just don’t do that, She did that to fuck with me. I’m not gonna have that shit!” Like the little methbaby he is, When the IronHorse interview was re-scanned and that Hated doc got reuploaded…along with people “remembering” every piece of “art” he ever made/sold was just bottom tier wannabe skinhead swastika confederate flag horseshit.

there was a 156 page thread about it which lead to him getting canceled and going into panic mode. whatever the TM at cons/Nike was being told to tell him as damage control, that turned into him on the Nein Club…and the shit doesn’t even get brought up. I skimmed through it waiting to see what he had to say but instead it was 3 hours of him whisper-ranting (on some really weird fake autism schtick) about how much he loves everyone. No mention of anything going on.

without roger, they really just don’t know anything. crob somehow went pro off a couple charity clips of snowplow grinds in yeah right, Kelly went pro for expedition and eS after they both went outta business…yet talk about skating like they’re the hawk brothers fighting over which one gets to be mike. Shits full blown gerbagio.

Stopped watching after the grosso interview, but I can imagine they cut out all the heroin talk and reuploaded it so they can get the ad money.

The bunt needs a video component.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2021, 04:15:42 AM »
I liked when people went from sucking off jason jesse, giving him a part after the credits in the Cons video + that Nike check, tricks in boys of summer, down with everyone bc he’s such a cool legend… to remembering he said he wanted to “grind her fuckin bones down, man…until they’re small enough pieces to put in a blender and drink it. Just so I can shit her out. That’s how I’ve felt for a while now, ever since she had this black boyfriend. I’m not gonna let her live that shit down ever. You just don’t do that, She did that to fuck with me. I’m not gonna have that shit!” Like the little methbaby he is, When the IronHorse interview was re-scanned and that Hated doc got reuploaded…along with people “remembering” every piece of “art” he ever made/sold was just bottom tier wannabe skinhead swastika confederate flag horseshit.

there was a 156 page thread about it which lead to him getting canceled and going into panic mode. whatever the TM at cons/Nike was being told to tell him as damage control, that turned into him on the Nein Club…and the shit doesn’t even get brought up. I skimmed through it waiting to see what he had to say but instead it was 3 hours of him whisper-ranting (on some really weird fake autism schtick) about how much he loves everyone. No mention of anything going on.

without roger, they really just don’t know anything. crob somehow went pro off a couple charity clips of snowplow grinds in yeah right, Kelly went pro for expedition and eS after they both went outta business…yet talk about skating like they’re the hawk brothers fighting over which one gets to be mike. Shits full blown gerbagio.

Stopped watching after the grosso interview, but I can imagine they cut out all the heroin talk and reuploaded it so they can get the ad money.

Free max b
This is the main reason I stopped watching. I don't really want to watch 45 year olds who are as dumb as 14 year olds. (Altho sometimes I do think they play it up for the show) it also dawned on me that the target audience is probably more like 13-16 year olds so it's fine it's just not for me.

What is a snowplow grind? I thought it was just total non balance tail/nose down. Crob is kinda the opposite of that. What we used to called nudge along style.

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2021, 05:20:29 AM »
There have been some episodes where they've discussed "difficult subjects". In the Ragdoll episode they discussed his illness, the Corey Duffel episode spent a lot of time discussing his regrettable Big Brother interview and his speech impediment, the Bam episode obviously touched on some heavy topics (even though things were only about to get even muddier after his episode). But in all these cases, it have been the guests who themselves have brought up theses topics. If Crob could get to chose, he would probably not even go there. You can see how uncomfortable he gets when it gets a little darker and he is no longer in control of where a conversation is going. And Kelly often gets unusually silent in these instances.

The episodes with Dollin and Dill were probably also uncomfortable for Crob since they were very uncontrollable guests in general.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2021, 05:33:54 AM »
I'm a regular listener but see where you're coming from, a little shit talk now and then is good for the soul.

Kelly's ego seems to get bigger and bigger though, which is odd.

Doesn't even really need "shit talk". Just being able to have a real opinion about anything would be nice.

I forget the context, but there was one episode where they were gushing about P-Rod using the same song as Guy in Video Days and Jeron very casually mentions "eh, I didn't like that very much. I would have liked a different song for Paul" and the crew spent the next five minutes doing damage control to make sure everything was positive and everything is awesome. He wasn't even talking shit, he just wasn't head over heels about it like the rest of them were pretending to be.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2021, 05:39:30 AM »
They have to be careful cause whole companies are backing them, and if the 'higher ups' hear one thing they don't like. They'll hold onto that stupid shit for years like their life depends on it.

everythingisgreat

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2021, 05:41:39 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm a regular listener but see where you're coming from, a little shit talk now and then is good for the soul.

Kelly's ego seems to get bigger and bigger though, which is odd.
[close]

Doesn't even really need "shit talk". Just being able to have a real opinion about anything would be nice.

I forget the context, but there was one episode where they were gushing about P-Rod using the same song as Guy in Video Days and Jeron very casually mentions "eh, I didn't like that very much. I would have liked a different song for Paul" and the crew spent the next five minutes doing damage control to make sure everything was positive and everything is awesome. He wasn't even talking shit, he just wasn't head over heels about it like the rest of them were pretending to be.

This is like exactly what I’m saying as well.

everythingisgreat

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2021, 05:42:13 AM »
They have to be careful cause whole companies are backing them, and if the 'higher ups' hear one thing they don't like. They'll hold onto that stupid shit for years like their life depends on it.

Sucks but Makes sense

everythingisgreat

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2022, 08:23:46 AM »
I keep trying to tune in but these dudes are fucking corny...

Are there any other (professional) skateboarders out there willing to make a podcast?

God bless.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2022, 08:45:08 AM »
the only thing that actually bothers me is how much they back &&
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2022, 08:52:37 AM »
homeboy it’s friday night and this is what you doing

tryin2sk8

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2022, 10:09:22 AM »
Nine club is ok. rad rat > nine club imo

Monopolyman

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »

Free max b

Did u even watch though?  Rog goes to Jason Jesse, people think you’re a racist/Nazi, what do you say?  I’m the first to criticize a show but they actually did a good job with that one.

They’ve had Spike Jonze on by the way, to the other dude saying he wasnt on.  That was a good episode

Show could be better but did you watch Bunt try to do video?  It was cringe.  Way harder to do than just audio.

https://youtu.be/DyiBAexk_IU
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:42:00 AM by Monopolyman »

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »
Here i am again stanning for the nine club

I agree that it's softball but it doesn't bother me. The nine club lets the guest go wherever they want. So if it's an interesting guest, it'll be an interesting show. If the guests want to hate or talk about controversial shit, they let them do that. Listen to the episode with Ryan Clements where he argues about contracts with Kelly Hart. That was not softball content. And made me seriously dislike Ryan Clements.

The Puleo, Weiss, Sinclair, Jamie Thomas, Rothmeyer, Suciu, Blabac, Eli Gesner, and Danny Way episodes are all ones that stick out to me that are honestly great listens. They give the guests space to tell their story how they want to tell it and don't assume the listener knows much of anything about skateboarding.

Say what you want about Kelly's laugh but he honestly is the only dude I can relate to on that show. Just a nice dude with real opinions and passion for skate nerd stuff. He asks some good questions too.

I definitely do prefer the more direct line of questioning on the Bunt but those dudes do not interview team managers, filmers, or any industry people, which extremely lame because those people are the backbone of this shit and are usually 5 times more interesting and relatable than the skaters.

Basically, they found a formula that works and they're running with it. Let's not forget all of the skate podcasts that were based on some New Jersey concept of "realness" (thinking everything is wack, being an asshole, and asking difficult questions constantly) that only made it 8 episodes (tim o connor). shit is not as easy at it looks.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2022, 11:55:46 AM »
My .02 about this but I think the Nine Club being too "nice" is fine. They're all ex-pro skaters, which makes it difficult to be more critical to their direct peers. The same thing happens in professional sports media. You rarely see any ex-pro outlet (like the JJ Reddick Podcast for NBA fans) be hyper-critical to their peers either. It's usually a lot of praise, story-telling, etc. The value to me comes from getting their perspective or insider stories we wouldnt hear otherwise.

Most of the time, the criticism and bluntness comes from people who are from the media or outside the industry type folks....basically people who arent pro athletes or pros that are far removed from their hayday
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:21:40 PM by Paul_Glider Skateboards »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

kenny lurk

• Rep: -5
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »
the 10/10 episode was the only one that didn't start w/ a 'special, special..... special guest'. they held him to the fire in a pg nice club fashion.
to people wondering why they don't get more interesting vintage guests even if they're friends, i think the video format is maybe more awkward for guy or whoever vs mag interviews. the people we want to hear from who have that mystique, retain it from not being in the public eye that way.
so you get guys that don't mind a little self promotion. your mj's, mike v's, holmes and the muska.
i wonder if the sort of underground 'anti hero' or what you guys call 'core' skaters don't look at a talk show as corny, on par w/ street league, red bull hats or bagel bites commercials?