Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 183753 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2340 on: October 03, 2022, 12:54:58 PM »
LPT: Turn pro off the back of instagram hype, spend 10 years filming and releasing nothing, release your entire career's body of work at once at the end of the year. Guaranteed SOTY

That's my life goal. I just need to not suck at skating and then I'll be unstoppable!

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2341 on: October 03, 2022, 12:57:57 PM »
street skaters are better than park skaters in every way possible

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2342 on: October 03, 2022, 01:43:58 PM »

That can't be a unpopular opinion.

Parks mostly have perfect conditions.
The streets are rough and dangerous.
But parks and the streets can be full of humans.
IG: @flowterspace

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2343 on: October 03, 2022, 01:54:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That can't be a unpopular opinion.

Yeah that belongs in the 2022 Captain Obvious thread

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2344 on: October 03, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »
This has to be unpopular since it's in every fucking video:
Can skaters pleeaaase stop willfully riding/PUSHING into the streets and giving regular people on the road heart attacks?
Had to pause the polar video because of Boserio doing it and making a minivan hit the brakes. Pisses me off so bad

Edit: This made me think that if I only knew skaters from videos, I'd probably hate skaters

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2345 on: October 03, 2022, 02:41:52 PM »
I dont like it when skaters do dangerous things in videos they should stay in the park or alternatively at home
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2346 on: October 03, 2022, 03:10:00 PM »
I dont like it when skaters do dangerous things in videos they should stay in the park or alternatively at home
Yeah that's totally the same thing. Let's keep putting ourselves in danger and not others? Like actual fucking dangerous car accidents? Wtf

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2347 on: October 03, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »
pressure flips are actually cool
backside noseslides are overrated, bordering on ugly (unless done on a uniquely challenging obstacle)
hardflips look better when they're sketchy, watching a pro do 10 of them perfectly in a row is just boring
the less popular the brands you wear are, the cooler you actually become
OJ make good hard wheels (as long as you're skating glass-smooth parks)
slappies will never get boring, nor will they be boring to watch
-
my most unpopular opinion, i beg of you not to kook me:
doing something in a street doesn't make it more impressive than in a park.
this isn't to say park is more impressive, i would rather watch a street part without question.
personally, i think there's not much point to leaving the park to go skate a glass smooth plaza with the exact same ledge design.
POSTFACE: my statement only applies to skating done at/on clean, low-risk, street spots. OBVIOUSLY, you get props for skating crust which can tear you apart like a cheese grater
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2348 on: October 03, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »
Can skaters pleeaaase stop willfully riding/PUSHING into the streets and giving regular people on the road heart attacks?
Had to pause the polar video because of Boserio doing it and making a minivan hit the brakes. Pisses me off so bad

Edit: This made me think that if I only knew skaters from videos, I'd probably hate skaters
buzzkill

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2349 on: October 03, 2022, 05:31:31 PM »
Zach Allen is my favorite pro with the last name Allen

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2350 on: October 03, 2022, 05:43:19 PM »
i’m generally a big fan of ben chardourne’s stuff but the BOBBY edit is boring to the point that it detracts from how good the skating is, just feels really un-fun and bland

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2351 on: October 03, 2022, 05:45:45 PM »

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #2352 on: October 03, 2022, 06:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I think the whole SOTY process is kinda broken now. Is it really fair to call someone a Skater of the Year when they can release a bunch of parts they spent multiple years working on? The sheer quantity and level of skating that Mark Suciu and Mason Silva put out for example is really really high, but that shit wasn't all filmed in the same year. Is this going to eventually push our favorite skaters to not drop any footy of substance for several years until they want to take a run at SOTY?
[close]

This point makes no sense. Do you think Fully Flared was filmed within a year? Stay Gold? Sorry? Most, if not, all of the SOTYs won based on footage that took multiple years to compile. You can criticize the strategy of "campaigning" for SOTY all you want, but saving footage for a long time is how the vast majority of skateboard media works.

I think his argument is that just releasing the big video part towards the end of the year shouldn’t be seen in the same way as being present the entire year.

Like yeah Leo Romero had the big part in the big full length video premiere in the fall, but he was also everywhere for two years: contests, covers, interviews, promos, demos, the switch to Toy Machine. Stay Gold and Brain Wash were just the icing on the cake. Same with dudes like Rowley, Arto, Chris Cole, Reynolds, and BA. Sick years that were capstoned by a heavy part.

realbasedgod112

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2353 on: October 03, 2022, 06:25:12 PM »

the 'rational car owner part of me' wants to stand with you on this one, but the 'cool doesn't give a fuck skater' wants to, rather predictably, not give a fuck.
mr goodatmeth: i would most likely sink a few beers with you, which is no noble lie (high praise, that is(it is high praise, it's not no high praise(double negatives suck. i was complimenting you))) (shit i did the antisemitic dogwhistle brackets there, don't ban me please mods) (this is long as fuck what the hell)
back to the point. i would likely respect you as a person, but i don't know you as a person. i know you as a guy posting something i slightly disagree with on the internet, so i'm probably going to insult you relentlessly.
(in case you're wondering what the bold is for, my bracket interlude ended up being long as hell so i thought it'd clear things up)
mr goodatmeth: fuck you. you can't tell me shit about what to do with my life, and if you're concerned about running into a skater you can see from the sidewalk(which you're meant to take note of as well, dumbass!)then your concern should be that you managed to get a license while having the driving ability and coordination a regular 70 year old.(i have autism so i'm allowed to say that)go fuck yourself in your lame ass car, the world doesn't revolve around you, you can't make me do shit, so on, and so forth.

realbasedgod112

« Reply #2354 on: October 03, 2022, 06:27:37 PM »
i could write a ten thousand word essay on your statement but it wouldn't do it justice. instead, i say only this:
fucking oath

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #2355 on: October 03, 2022, 08:19:22 PM »
Popwar really wasn’t that great

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2356 on: October 03, 2022, 08:56:54 PM »
backside noseslides are overrated, bordering on ugly (unless done on a uniquely challenging obstacle)
hardflips look better when they're sketchy, watching a pro do 10 of them perfectly in a row is just boring
-
this isn't to say park is more impressive, i would rather watch a street part without question.
personally, i think there's not much point to leaving the park to go skate a glass smooth plaza with the exact same ledge design.
POSTFACE: my statement only applies to skating done at/on clean, low-risk, street spots. OBVIOUSLY, you get props for skating crust which can tear you apart like a cheese grater
Noseslides were banned for years. We used to call them rollerblades because of how you could do them putting no weight over the rail or just go slow on a big angle get into what's basically a stall then gravity does the rest.

As far as street vs park I agree to a certain level. I think going to China or Barcelona because it's like a skatepark is dumb. You already have skateparks at home, you're just spending thousands of dollars to still make boring footage. I think it's mostly about what you're doing tho if it's a really hard manual or ledge trick the spot doesn't matter it's about the trick so a park in some cases could be fine but everything else is about the spot so should be street.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #2357 on: October 03, 2022, 09:10:40 PM »
still banned >:( >:( >:(

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2358 on: October 06, 2022, 06:19:58 AM »
Anytime I see footage of someone using rails on their board it makes me feel like they’re cheating. Put in the work to make the spot slide, and go faster, or just get into rollerblading.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

livin on a speyer

« Reply #2359 on: October 06, 2022, 06:24:39 AM »
Anytime I see footage of someone using rails on their board it makes me feel like they’re cheating. Put in the work to make the spot slide, and go faster, or just get into rollerblading.
Wax is also cheating.

IpathCats

« Reply #2360 on: October 06, 2022, 06:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
-
[close]
Noseslides were banned for years. We used to call them rollerblades because of how you could do them putting no weight over the rail or just go slow on a big angle get into what's basically a stall then gravity does the rest.

As far as street vs park I agree to a certain level. I think going to China or Barcelona because it's like a skatepark is dumb. You already have skateparks at home, you're just spending thousands of dollars to still make boring footage. I think it's mostly about what you're doing tho if it's a really hard manual or ledge trick the spot doesn't matter it's about the trick so a park in some cases could be fine but everything else is about the spot so should be street.

I agree with most of this except for the street vs park take. Most plazas are fucking beat these days and most street spots are not perfect, plus they present the random element of the public.

I like the sloppy hardflip take though, never thought about that, but i think you might be right.

FS noseslides are a great trick, BS are wack.

pressure flips are fine if done sparingly. they sloppy hardflip rule also applies to them in some contexts. I'm not trying to watch nate sherwood do anymore perfect pressure flips. but when i see someone squeak one out in the middle of a line or down something i get kinda hyped.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2361 on: October 06, 2022, 06:50:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wax is also cheating.

Rub bricking curbs is cheating. If it slides/grinds at all, you're probably cheating and should be ashamed.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2362 on: October 06, 2022, 06:53:54 AM »
Going fast is cheating…..there…..finished.

IpathCats

« Reply #2363 on: October 06, 2022, 06:59:35 AM »
Going fast is cheating…..there…..finished.

GALAXY BRAIN TAKE

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #2364 on: October 06, 2022, 07:04:06 AM »
I'm imagining what this thread would be like in the 70s/80s.

"Popping tricks in pools is cheating! You're using a cheating gimmick to get more height and it doesn't count!"

Some of y'all are getting in your own way of enjoying skateboarding. Skateboarding is art and it's all subjective, but it's also supposed to be fun and social. If your friend does a kickflip bs noseslide do you walk up to them and hand them a slip of paper that says "kook'd for bs noseslide, that's a banned trick"?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

IpathCats

« Reply #2365 on: October 06, 2022, 07:15:01 AM »

"Popping tricks in pools is cheating! You're using a cheating gimmick to get more height and it doesn't count!"

Some of y'all are getting in your own way of enjoying skateboarding. Skateboarding is art and it's all subjective, but it's also supposed to be fun and social. If your friend does a kickflip bs noseslide do you walk up to them and hand them a slip of paper that says "kook'd for bs noseslide, that's a banned trick"?

KF bs noseslides arent banned.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2366 on: October 06, 2022, 07:21:04 AM »

As far as noseslide being banned a) it's was more of a joke like doing a Benihana or something. Do whatever you want but just know it's not that cool. b) in the early 00s at the one park and spot that had little downhill ledges all people would do is line up on like a 70 degree angle take one push and get into some kind of nosestall and then let it slowly start sliding. It was just done to death and the tall ledge or handrail noseslides/front nose where they didn't even lock in and basically just did a shifty Ollie and tapped the nose were also way overdone so everyone just got over seeing it. If someone did a good kickflip noseslide it would of been fine.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2367 on: October 06, 2022, 08:35:58 AM »
BS nose slides are fun.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2368 on: October 06, 2022, 08:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
As far as noseslide being banned a) it's was more of a joke like doing a Benihana or something. Do whatever you want but just know it's not that cool. b) in the early 00s at the one park and spot that had little downhill ledges all people would do is line up on like a 70 degree angle take one push and get into some kind of nosestall and then let it slowly start sliding. It was just done to death and the tall ledge or handrail noseslides/front nose where they didn't even lock in and basically just did a shifty Ollie and tapped the nose were also way overdone so everyone just got over seeing it. If someone did a good kickflip noseslide it would of been fine.

Yeah. Fuck having fun or trying to learn and get used to stuff. If you can't kickflip FS noseslide you might as well quit skating. It's not allowed to try to learn or do more basic ones.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2369 on: October 06, 2022, 09:42:48 AM »
If your friend does a kickflip bs noseslide do you walk up to them and hand them a slip of paper that says "kook'd for bs noseslide, that's a banned trick"?

Yes

Unpopular opinion: peeing in Gatorade bottles should be destigmatized. It’s 10x more hygienic than any other way of relieving yourself. You literally don’t even have to touch your penis and all pee splashback is kept in the container. You don’t have to touch your disgusting toilet handle or the door knob, it even saves a flush so good for the environment! I can’t believe I ever let my normie roommates make me feel bad for doing it during my counter strike phase. Bottlepissers unite.