Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209187 times)

Tom Pearl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2310 on: January 01, 2023, 08:25:14 PM »
Loophole wheels: irie or bumboclot?

if Ben Gore fucks with'em

"dem nah bumboclot"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2311 on: January 01, 2023, 08:45:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"dem nah bumboclot"

They are NFG OEMs, I'd rank them below Bones but above Creative and NHS wheels (Ricta / OJ).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2312 on: January 01, 2023, 11:01:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anybody here tried dying F4s? i want to try on some older, un-skated sets that have gotten too brown for my liking. also wondering if the old adage of dyed wheels being softer still holds true when you DIY?
[close]

I dyed some quite a few years ago. I think my dye was red or fuchsia. Soaked them in there for a month or so. They turned out looking more like irritated skin pink than what I had planned. Can’t remember what brand dye I used but the chances are it’s different than what you’d get as I live in Finland. So, it didn’t really work as planned but the wheels skated fine and I figured that I don’t really care that much about wheel colors anyway.
[close]

Recently dyed some F4 og classics with charcoal coloured RIT synthetic dye, left them in for about 24 hrs each side (I was dumb & only bought 1 bottle so had to do side at a time) & worked perfect, turned out this like dark green-ish-black colour which I kinda dig & the graphic stayed too which is dope on the all black. But make sure it’s synthetic, the normal RIT dye is more for clothes I believe & doesn’t actually get into the wheels. I also talked to a homie that tried boiling his wheels in non synthetic dye then letting them soak for about a week, he said the dye lasted about a month of consistent skating but I haven’t tried that method cause I’m not willing to potentially waste $60 on wheels lol. It’s also winter here so I’ve only used em on a few garage sessions & dry street days so no major use but they seem to be holding up fine with the synthetic, if it doesn’t work then you got a cool faded pair of spits then I guess
[close]

thank you both for feedback. sounds like the synthetic dye is way to go. i may as well try it. think i'd dig a weird color more than yellow onion color these have.

A couple of sets I got from a friend, who did a whole lot of wheels, stayed black for the life of them, but the funny thing was as the wheels wore down the side walls were still black (or dark colour, not quite black) but the natural urethane showed on the riding surface as they wore, which looked pretty cool.

I think someone cut one of those Spitfire Navs Skeleton Key wheels in half to have a look and the dye got in about half a mm but it still stays coloured for the life of the wheel for any area that has not worn down.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2313 on: January 01, 2023, 11:49:33 PM »
Should I wax my flatbar? After a few sessions I often stick on front boards. I am afraid I will slip out more often than I do already on 50/50s. I know I could theoretically go faster but then I would pee my proverbial surf pants.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2314 on: January 02, 2023, 12:46:56 AM »
Should I wax my flatbar? After a few sessions I often stick on front boards. I am afraid I will slip out more often than I do already on 50/50s. I know I could theoretically go faster but then I would pee my proverbial surf pants.
Wax your board

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2315 on: January 02, 2023, 04:02:04 AM »

More speed first before wax. The flatbars are pretty wide (truck width) so your deck will make experience more friction during slides.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2316 on: January 02, 2023, 04:18:17 AM »

Always wax your trucks and deck first.
You could also try to rub a stone or something over the flatbar to make that metal more umm clean. Sorry, I don't know the English word for it.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2317 on: January 02, 2023, 05:20:47 AM »
Cheers. On my fresh deck with all the stickers it slides quite good again, I might just use all my stickers. Going forward I could imagine getting the Ishod / Worrest slicks because I am skating an 8.3 twin anyway now.
why come?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2318 on: January 02, 2023, 06:30:22 AM »

Def wax your board and trucks where they make contact with the rail/ledge first. If you go to a spot that’s already skateable waxing your board only should save you on time and wax not waxing a whole ledge and also if other people there they may not want you waxing it.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2319 on: January 02, 2023, 07:04:08 AM »
I usually skate my flat bar in a wet, musty parking garage. Between the cave-like climate and the steel rusting underneath the chipped paint, wax is required to get the thing moving at all. YMMV
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2320 on: January 02, 2023, 07:48:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Def wax your board and trucks where they make contact with the rail/ledge first. If you go to a spot that’s already skateable waxing your board only should save you on time and wax not waxing a whole ledge and also if other people there they may not want you waxing it.

I am talking about my own flatbar which I can wax as I please. However, I refrained from doing it and am exploring other alleys. Thx pals. Waxed a curb tho, but I am the only one to skate it.
why come?

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2321 on: January 02, 2023, 08:19:37 AM »
Sayin

I bought a pair of Es Accel OGs a couple months ago and I love those cunts, however as they're basically my last pair of shoes in the house I'm gonna buy some more in a couple weeks.
I want something puffy like the OGs but not as slim as the Accel Slims- something in the middle. I've had a look at the Etnies Kingpins and Verano and they look decent but none of my local shops have em so I can't get a good look at em.

Anyone have either pair of these? How are they?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #2322 on: January 02, 2023, 08:35:48 AM »

What is the saw like teeth things for on the slayer Indy hardware? It sucks at cutting grip....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2323 on: January 02, 2023, 08:43:57 AM »
Deez leaving Enjoi had me wondering what happens to decks after a pro leaves the company

Does the company
Ship the remaining inventory to their former rider?
Screen over the graphic?
Sell them at huge discounts? I'm sure there are legal ramifications for using the riders name and likeness

Do shops
Sell the decks at regular price or fire sale them?
Ship unsold inventory back to distributors / woodshop?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #2324 on: January 02, 2023, 08:48:14 AM »
Deez leaving Enjoi had me wondering what happens to decks after a pro leaves the company

Does the company
Screen over the graphic?
Sell them at huge discounts? I'm sure there are legal ramifications for using the riders name and likeness

Do shops

Pretty sure they are sold like nothing happens. My local just got some enjoi Pilz decks in.
I've even seen yonnie cruz decks sold for regular prize at least 6 months after he was kicked off.

But usually it should all be planned and the pro leaves when the decks are gone

hayduke lives

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2325 on: January 02, 2023, 08:52:59 AM »

Does the company
Screen over the graphic?

Do shops
not sure about other brands, but, the enjoi site has the newly departed guys' decks at steep discount now. i'd stockpile if i liked r7 decks.

https://enjoico.com/products/enjoi-deedz-early-bird-r7-8-375-skateboard-deck

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2326 on: January 02, 2023, 09:04:54 AM »
anybody ever dyed a pair of jeans before?

anything i should know before trying it?

also is rit good enough or should i go with dylon? 

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2327 on: January 02, 2023, 09:15:26 AM »

Does the company
Screen over the graphic?

Do shops

They just sell the old boards. I'm sure shops can get them at a discount, but I've never seen a skate shop discount a board simply because the rider left the team. As for legal ramifications, these guys aren't signing Nike-tier contracts, where unsold product would be destroyed in order to protect the brand name Jordan or Kobe Bryant. I don't know the exact legal area but they are clearly allowed to sell their old product.

https://enjoico.com/collections/deedz/products/enjoi-deedz-early-bird-r7-8-375-skateboard-deck

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2328 on: January 02, 2023, 10:45:55 AM »

Yes. Many times. What you should know is that the dye won’t attach to the stitching because that’s most likely polyester. So if you dye your green jeans black you’re gonna have black jeans with green stitching.

Also dyeing indigo jeans blue most likely isn’t the best idea as the main point of indigo dyed jeans is that the yarns are dyed before making the fabric and they dye only the ones that show on the outside while the others are left undyed white. That’s what makes blue/indigo jeans look the way they do. If you want them plain dark blue though, it can be done but most likely you don’t.

Also you can only go darker with dyeing and if the end result you want isn’t very dark and the jeans are somewhat dark to begin with, you’re going to end up with some weird mishmash color that’ll most likely look like shit.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2329 on: January 02, 2023, 10:51:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes. Many times. What you should know is that the dye won’t attach to the stitching because that’s most likely polyester. So if you dye your green jeans black you’re gonna have black jeans with green stitching.

Also dyeing indigo jeans blue most likely isn’t the best idea as the main point of indigo dyed jeans is that the yarns are dyed before making the fabric and they dye only the ones that show on the outside while the others are left undyed white. That’s what makes blue/indigo jeans look the way they do. If you want them plain dark blue though, it can be done but most likely you don’t.

Also you can only go darker with dyeing and if the end result you want isn’t very dark and the jeans are somewhat dark to begin with, you’re going to end up with some weird mishmash color that’ll most likely look like shit.

and a
i wanna make a light blue pair black, did you use rit or dylon? also are the ones you dyed still the color you dyed them or did it slowly wash out over time?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2330 on: January 02, 2023, 11:38:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

and a
i wanna make a light blue pair black, did you use rit or dylon? also are the ones you dyed still the color you dyed them or did it slowly wash out over time?

I’ve used Dylon and Nitor. We don’t have Rit in Finland. Both Dylon & Nitor worked well to make the jeans black. They both faded like normal black jeans do. Definitely nowhere close to the original color but it’s also not some magic that won’t fade at all.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2331 on: January 02, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »
Use Procion or similar fiber reactive dye with soda ash to hold the dye. Better long-term color fastness for cotton/organic fibers and I find it a much easier process with less stirring required.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #2332 on: January 02, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »

Does the company
Screen over the graphic?

Do shops

I still see a lot of Creature Jimmy Wilkins boards around. Some were discounted at some point, but seems to be back up in regular price again.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #2333 on: January 02, 2023, 05:56:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"dem nah bumboclot"

yuh seet, jah bless
I an I haff nah white god

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2334 on: January 03, 2023, 03:02:56 PM »
Expand Quote

Does the company
Screen over the graphic?

Do shops
[close]

Pretty sure they are sold like nothing happens. My local just got some enjoi Pilz decks in.
I've even seen yonnie cruz decks sold for regular prize at least 6 months after he was kicked off.

But usually it should all be planned and the pro leaves when the decks are gone

I think some of the stock ordered is months off, so if something happens and someone quits, shops still get all that stock at the regular price, which kind of sucks for the shop sometimes if the distributor or brand has significant discounts on remaining stock of that rider.

Sometimes it is kinda cool to get the last board of said rider on that brand, but other times, it will just sit there like nothing had changed otherwise the shop is losing money on what could be a good deck, decent shape, even good graphic that someone sooner or later will buy anyway.

Other times shops can't get rid of things soon enough, so anything like that goes straight in the sale section and is cleared out as soon as possible, just like the distro did so they can be rid of it and only have current team riders names on boards on the wall.

It might be different too if quite a few guys seem like they are all jumping ship and a brand is sinking, or something has happened that makes them leave, which may or may not have other ramifications for interest from general public.

Kids and unknowing others will still buy a board more for a cool graphic or look than for any other reason, but I guess too it just comes down to the customer base of the store, whether or not they think they have dead stock sitting there, or still yet to arrive now, or whether they think they can still move it at RRP and keep up margins.

That is a shop perspective anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2335 on: January 07, 2023, 08:33:42 PM »
if you were to build a strictly slappy set up you going bigger wheels or smaller wheels?

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #2336 on: January 07, 2023, 08:36:41 PM »
if you were to build a strictly slappy set up you going bigger wheels or smaller wheels?

I’d probably go slightly smaller (less wheel to catch on) but some people say it doesn’t matter

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2337 on: January 07, 2023, 09:15:37 PM »

I got some tiny wheels from a friend and found them to be terrible for slappies, though obviously some of the “slappy influencer” types skate them just fine. Personally, the best slappy skaters I know almost all ride ~8.25-8.5 decks with standard 52-55mm wheels.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2338 on: January 07, 2023, 11:41:40 PM »
I think small wheels work fine on slappies if the curb is slanted and/or low enough to get on. On a vertical curb, bigger wheels are better. I also believe bigger wheels work better on 50/50s, whereas smaller wheels might be a tad easier to pinch on crooks.
why come?

oldxdad

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2339 on: January 07, 2023, 11:48:40 PM »
I ran 50mm-56mm last year on slappies and the sweet spot for me is 54mm in a dragon or x formula.