Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202120 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2370 on: January 10, 2023, 07:42:51 PM »
Does anyone know the exact dims of Element 8.38 decks? Specifically this graphic?

I know these aren't made by BBS, their the China stock which is fine by me.

Officially on the Element website it's listed is 8.38 x 32.2 x 14.25 (N: 7.125, T: 6.55), but other sites (Tactics) have listed it as 8.38 x 31.8 x 14.4 (N: 7, T: 6.25). Would like to avoid the latter since I can't deal with a stubby tail.

https://www.elementbrand.com/squared-30-madars-skateboard-deck-ALYXD00279.html
https://www.tactics.com/element/madars-squared-30-838-skateboard-deck

Trying to stick to 1 deck dimension for 2023 and my local has a few of these on discount.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2371 on: January 10, 2023, 07:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here’s a fun dumb one, which flips faster :
A. Wider board/ light trucks
B. Narrow board/ heavy trucks
[close]

We need a physicist for that one, I’d like to know the actual answer.

[close]

Physics teacher here:
The quantity we use to show how much resistance an object (like a truck) has to rotating is called the moment of inertia. The calculation for it involves the mass of the object and takes into account where that mass is distributed. Basically, it's the mass multiplied by some factor of length/distance. BUT... the length piece tends to be squared while the mass part doesn't, which makes length/weight distribution more important than weight.
The real answer is either. If you have a heavy, narrow truck, the heaviness makes it harder to flip, but the narrowness makes it easier. With a light, wide truck, the width makes it harder, but the light weight makes it easier. And with a wide board, you will also have better leverage in making it flip, since your foot is pushing further away from the axis of rotation.
Best flipper? Super magic carpet setup: wide board, narrow trucks with light hangers and heavy baseplates, small wheels. You want 360 flips? Shorten the wheelbase to move the mass of the trucks and wheels closer to the center. That's why people can tre flip on those little cruiser boards.  ;)
[close]

Now this is the level of psychosis I’m talking about! Now which truck has the heaviest baseplates but lightest hangers? I feel like this is an @Xen question!
Dam maybe there is some truth to the Rodney putting led weights under his baseplates rumour. Old tensor hangers were probably pretty light

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2372 on: January 11, 2023, 10:10:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here’s a fun dumb one, which flips faster :
A. Wider board/ light trucks
B. Narrow board/ heavy trucks
[close]

We need a physicist for that one, I’d like to know the actual answer.

I came here to ask, did bones change the STF formula in the past few years?  I bought some 54mm 103a Stf retros and they are super soggy and don’t slide compared to when I used to ride them.  I rode stf for about about 6 years then switched to f4.
[close]

Huh, friend had the same situation with his V1 STF PJ Ladd wheels, he rides STF exclusively and said they felt softer than usual. Compared to the F4 101a I was riding I couldn't tell.
[close]

The slide is rubbery and skids rather than a smooth slide.  I was wondering if it was just the stf retros but your friend’s situation makes me think otherwise.  I found an old set that must be 4 years old and didn’t even have the durometer on the graphic and they slid how I’m used to

We've chatted about this in the wheels/spit threads...they changed the STF formula at some point...sometime after they started making the 'natural' colored 99a stfs, the 103a stfs became off white (but not as brown as the 99as) and nowhere near as bright white as the old STFs were...the new 103s feels soft...like a 99a.

That said, the v1 51 Ladds I have are one of my favorite wheels. They still bluntslide like a boss.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2373 on: January 12, 2023, 08:15:10 AM »
Thanks for confirming.  I went back and read about 20 pages in the other thread till I came across some STF comments.  At least I have 2 old sets of bone white stfs and I’ll ride those until they die so I can forget about wheel madness for a while

roll_dog

« Reply #2374 on: January 12, 2023, 12:01:45 PM »
I have no idea why Bones changed up their wheels to that brown color. I guess that they felt Spitfire was eating their lunch with the F4's and wanted to copy their look, but it absolutely changed how their wheels performed. I remember being really impressed with the first batch of "Easy Streets", but the brown 99a were just unremarkable in comparison. Not surprised to hear the 103a STFs performed worse as well.

It even seems dumb from a branding perspective, bones were long known for their bleached white look. Not everyone loves it but it's not like everyone loves potato brown wheels either.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #2375 on: January 13, 2023, 12:44:07 AM »
Anyone put an IKP in tensor mag lights?

I'm thinking it might be a waste of time since mag lights don't last long
Nor are they very pricey to replace.   any thoughts?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #2376 on: January 14, 2023, 03:20:28 PM »
I'm looking for a full 8.125 with a 14.25 wb preferably.

Broke my 8.28 and want to keep my 144s running.

Alien is a lil too short at 31.5 and 14wb, how full is the nose on the Polar?

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 105
« Reply #2377 on: January 14, 2023, 05:39:45 PM »

The 8.125 Polar I have seems to be the same exact deck as the Anti Hero black eagle. A long enough, but tapered nose. A Baker B2 shape 8.125 also is 32 and 14.25 wheelbase with a nice round nose but not FA/Hockey crazy.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2378 on: January 14, 2023, 05:52:54 PM »

I would say the Polar is the same shape as the other BBS 8.125 regular boards, like Antihero black eagle - 8.125 x 32 with 14.25 wb and longer but more pointy kicks that are anything but full.

To me it was a really good board and I had a lot of them before I sized up permanently, but if you are after a more full shape, that one might not quite be what you are after.

I didn't realise the AWS boards under 8.25 were a lot shorter either, but it has been a while since I looked at those sizes.

Guessing the 8.25 is a little big for what you want too?

Edit:

Ha yeah, Dino with the good info!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #2379 on: January 14, 2023, 06:56:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 8.125 Polar I have seems to be the same exact deck as the Anti Hero black eagle. A long enough, but tapered nose. A Baker B2 shape 8.125 also is 32 and 14.25 wheelbase with a nice round nose but not FA/Hockey crazy.

Good info, thanks man. I forgot about the B2 shapes...

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #2380 on: January 14, 2023, 08:03:07 PM »
What Vans do you think Bryan Kohberger was wearing?
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2381 on: January 15, 2023, 06:09:37 AM »
What Vans do you think Bryan Kohberger was wearing?
looks more like the kind of sick fuck that wears Skechers

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2382 on: January 15, 2023, 02:13:02 PM »
Back in the day I had some Thunder 147s but I am on Indy Forged Hollows now. Does anyone know what the height was for the Thunder 147s? I have a bit of ghost pop sometimes with specific tricks.
IG: @flowterspace

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2383 on: January 15, 2023, 02:34:07 PM »
Back in the day I had some Thunder 147s but I am on Indy Forged Hollows now. Does anyone know what the height was for the Thunder 147s? I have a bit of ghost pop sometimes with specific tricks.
Depending on your baseplate, 147s are reported to have a 49/50mm axle height for forged/cast plates respectively.
Ace are what… 53mm?
So as much as 3 to 4mm diff: that may be your goblin right there.
My guess is you’ll grow accustomed to the change soon enough.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2384 on: January 15, 2023, 02:35:49 PM »

I am not sure how old these ones are here, but they sure are old - back when there were lo and hi versions, before they went to the single current height now of 50mm for 147s on cast plates.

They look like they are about 52mm which is about the same as what 148 and up are nowdays, but still 1.5 mm lower than Indy Forged baseplate options.

* Kind of funny that some trucks were lowered to make more an inbetween size when the lo and hi were changed out.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2385 on: January 15, 2023, 02:42:18 PM »
Anyone ever buy a popsicle and then cut or sand it into the shaped deck you want? Seems like an odd issue to have but I want to support my local and I like to ride a very specific DLX shape that they don't carry.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2386 on: January 15, 2023, 02:51:18 PM »
Anyone ever buy a popsicle and then cut or sand it into the shaped deck you want? Seems like an odd issue to have but I want to support my local and I like to ride a very specific DLX shape that they don't carry.

I think there has been mention of things here and there, but I couldn't find any other threads besides this one:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48527.0

DIY boards / graphics

Some shaping, sanding and finishing of boards, along with just doing graphics.

Back in the Black Label punk point days, a few people I know (self included) cut the point into the nose of the board for a minute when they couldn't find any more Adams boards that came like that.

Apart from that, some others have cut down boards, or shaped fun smaller boards from old bigger boards, but it is easy enough to do and can turn out quite well if done correctly.

Having the shape from an old board is a good way to do it, but some free hand stuff that works well enough.

That thread has some good ones too.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2387 on: January 15, 2023, 03:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think there has been mention of things here and there, but I couldn't find any other threads besides this one:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48527.0

DIY boards / graphics

Some shaping, sanding and finishing of boards, along with just doing graphics.

Back in the Black Label punk point days, a few people I know (self included) cut the point into the nose of the board for a minute when they couldn't find any more Adams boards that came like that.

Apart from that, some others have cut down boards, or shaped fun smaller boards from old bigger boards, but it is easy enough to do and can turn out quite well if done correctly.

Having the shape from an old board is a good way to do it, but some free hand stuff that works well enough.

That thread has some good ones too.

Sick, thanks! Some good shit in that thread
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2388 on: January 16, 2023, 10:56:24 AM »
Anyone know Shanahanz's setup? I'm curious if it's his shoes that are just massive, board is still small, or both.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2389 on: January 16, 2023, 01:54:57 PM »
I’m pretty sure he skates a 7.75”. Can’t cite any sources though as I don’t care enough to remember where I read that.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1083
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2390 on: January 19, 2023, 09:06:39 AM »
How are people storing decks? I bought some heavy duty 10"x36" plastic bags to keep some of my collection in, but I'm not sure whether to keep them in the original shrink wrap or remove from the shrink before bagging. I feel like I saw someone say the original shrink can pull the graphic off after a certain amount of time. I keep them stacked horizontally in a box in the closet so temperature wise it's super stable and I've been using paper to separate them but the bags should help protect them.

@Mbrimson88 what do you think?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2391 on: January 19, 2023, 10:33:20 AM »
I saw this graphic on some recent video (I can’t remember for the life of me which one).  Anyone know anything about this brand?

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #2392 on: January 19, 2023, 10:58:57 AM »
I saw this graphic on some recent video (I can’t remember for the life of me which one).  Anyone know anything about this brand?

Black Jesus is just like an instagram dude

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2393 on: January 19, 2023, 11:03:37 AM »
I know someone has mentioned this before somewhere but has anyone tried the DLX 8.38 14.5 WB shape with thunder 149s and 1/8th risers? I have a few in my stack (roman numeral 1) and am debating putting thunders or aces on them. I also have indy hollow forged. Any advice would be appreciated.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2394 on: January 19, 2023, 11:25:16 AM »
I've tried it with Thunder 149 no risers. Great combo, but preferred it on 148s

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2395 on: January 19, 2023, 03:12:26 PM »
How are people storing decks? I bought some heavy duty 10"x36" plastic bags to keep some of my collection in, but I'm not sure whether to keep them in the original shrink wrap or remove from the shrink before bagging. I feel like I saw someone say the original shrink can pull the graphic off after a certain amount of time. I keep them stacked horizontally in a box in the closet so temperature wise it's super stable and I've been using paper to separate them but the bags should help protect them.

I have also heard some people say the shrink wrap on heat transfers is not such a good thing, but I have never seen anyone with issues with them, that I can recall.

Quite a few of the main reissue brands don't have those sort of boards in shrink and have them in thicker poly bags, so there could be something with that.  They are also usually the screen printed boards too, but in general shrink wrap is a good protective layer between the board, the graphic and whatever else comes at them from the outside world.

Not to mention that boards NOT in shrink look a whole lot better when displayed or even just to look at, smell, touch, etc.  Yes at least one collector I know loves to smell them when he gets them out of their bags to do whatever he does.  Whatever hey?!?

At least storage, flat in boxes is the usual go to, for me not going as far as taping up the boxes securely after every time you open one, but I know on rainy days, it is not a good idea to go through boards, or anything else, for that matter, even though it might seem like the best day to get boards out and look through them cause you can't skate.  Too much moisture in the air will get into everything.

I used to have grip backing sheets between a lot of them, before I ended up with a lot of plastic bags to put each deck in, which worked well enough, but again some people say that is not a good idea - still scratching the graphics or whatever, but again, I don't think I have ever had issues.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2396 on: January 19, 2023, 03:20:38 PM »
I know someone has mentioned this before somewhere but has anyone tried the DLX 8.38 14.5 WB shape with thunder 149s and 1/8th risers? I have a few in my stack (roman numeral 1) and am debating putting thunders or aces on them. I also have indy hollow forged. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, same as what I usually ride nowdays, and tried them on every truck just to see. 

More than anything it is the truck itself that you are either going to be used to or not so used to, along with the wheelbase, given they are 14.5 which to some people is already too long, they definitely feel a bit more "lengthy" on Thunders and Ventures, than on Ace or Indy, but there are people who ride them on whatever truck and do not have any issues, eg Kyle Walker and Chima are on that shape on Thunders.  Adding a riser is not going to change a whole lot to the overall feel, just a little higher and less wheelbite.

The shape has a slightly shorter / smaller tail than some boards, so although I prefer Thunders on the 8.5 with 14.38 wb and Indy on the 8.38 with 14.5 wb, there is nothing to say they will not work on either board, with whatever combination of trucks too.

For me - Indy standard trucks, no risers, but for Thunder trucks, I always add risers, just to have a little more room.

I am also old / lazy so I prefer more mellow boards and will park on the kicks just to flatten out anything other than IV marked boards, but I have skated steeper boards from other people and not had a problem, again just down to what you like.

End of the day I would say set one up with Thunders and see how it feels, swap over to Indy or Ace if you feel like the tail is too short or too quick and then ride which ever one feels better for you.

Edit:

Someone else just posted another 8.38 on the setup thread with Ace trucks and info for you to check too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3946580#msg3946580

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 04:50:50 PM by Mbrimson88 »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2397 on: January 19, 2023, 03:35:41 PM »
Chima rides 8.25

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2398 on: January 19, 2023, 04:03:25 PM »
Chima rides 8.25

He might have changed it up since then, but this was the same setup dimensions when I changed his wheels out many years ago on a tour that came through Brisbane, AU.

chimaferguson
Verified
8.38 149 54mm @realskateboards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNJU5F1pSV_/

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1083
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2399 on: January 19, 2023, 04:07:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have also heard some people say the shrink wrap on heat transfers is not such a good thing, but I have never seen anyone with issues with them, that I can recall.

Quite a few of the main reissue brands don't have those sort of boards in shrink and have them in thicker poly bags, so there could be something with that.  They are also usually the screen printed boards too, but in general shrink wrap is a good protective layer between the board, the graphic and whatever else comes at them from the outside world.

Not to mention that boards NOT in shrink look a whole lot better when displayed or even just to look at, smell, touch, etc.  Yes at least one collector I know loves to smell them when he gets them out of their bags to do whatever he does.  Whatever hey?!?

At least storage, flat in boxes is the usual go to, for me not going as far as taping up the boxes securely after every time you open one, but I know on rainy days, it is not a good idea to go through boards, or anything else, for that matter, even though it might seem like the best day to get boards out and look through them cause you can't skate.  Too much moisture in the air will get into everything.

I used to have grip backing sheets between a lot of them, before I ended up with a lot of plastic bags to put each deck in, which worked well enough, but again some people say that is not a good idea - still scratching the graphics or whatever, but again, I don't think I have ever had issues.

Yeah that all makes sense. I have some boards I displayed that are out of shrink and some that are still in shrink so I was a little bit torn about what to do. And of course part of me wants some consistency whether they're all in wrap or just in bags. I'll probably just keep the boards that are shrinked still in the shrink, and use the ziploc bag as an extra layer of protection