Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 207807 times)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2430 on: January 25, 2023, 06:03:20 PM »
Skated Mob religiously for years. Save for a temp deck that I got handed in a pinch that had Primitive or grizzly on it.
Never had any of these issues with mob. I'm always surprised to see people having these issues with Mob. Do yall live somewhere really cold and that's causing some of these issues? I'm in southern California so maybe that's why

Mob I got in 2022 and before did none of what these pals described.

Mob is definitely far from trash, though. My personal opinion is that Jessup is pretty bad (though it's likely not as bad I think/remember from skating it). Some of the worst out there, actually (not counting Ultra Grip since that's so new and I haven't tested it).
Super Champion Fun Zone

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2431 on: January 26, 2023, 03:51:47 AM »
I received two sheets of Jessup for free with an order of decks. These were super brittle. I usually ride Miles and rode Mob before but this Jessup is by far the worst I ever got. I assume these were old sheets or is this normal?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2432 on: January 26, 2023, 04:02:55 AM »
I received two sheets of Jessup for free with an order of decks. These were super brittle. I usually ride Miles and rode Mob before but this Jessup is by far the worst I ever got. I assume these were old sheets or is this normal?
It must be defective or it may have gotten ruined from not being stored in the right temperature range (if that’s even a possibility). I set up a board about two weeks ago, using a Jessup sheet I got from 2019-2020. It feels just like the Jessup I got from Uprise a couple months ago and not brittle.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2433 on: January 26, 2023, 04:12:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It must be defective or it may have gotten ruined from not being stored in the right temperature range (if that’s even a possibility). I set up a board about two weeks ago, using a Jessup sheet I got from 2019-2020. It feels just like the Jessup I got from Uprise a couple months ago and not brittle.

Thought so, I guess that's why they gave it away for free.

Another question: Why come that my decks and shoes almost always need replacing at the same time (with one pair of shoes lasting two decks)? I hate having a new deck and new shoes at the same time but this seems to happen inevitably.
why come?

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2434 on: January 26, 2023, 08:38:49 AM »
For the slappy experts out there, what is the best truck for slappy crooks? Been running Venture lights for a couple of years now and just started learning simple slappys. Seen plenty of people in my area do them every try in Ventures but I can't get into it to save my life. Probably has more to do with ability than the truck, but have been curious to test out other things lately.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #2435 on: January 26, 2023, 08:54:12 AM »
For the slappy experts out there, what is the best truck for slappy crooks? Been running Venture lights for a couple of years now and just started learning simple slappys. Seen plenty of people in my area do them every try in Ventures but I can't get into it to save my life. Probably has more to do with ability than the truck, but have been curious to test out other things lately.

I did my best slappy crooks with Ace Classics, I think. I don't know if that's because that's what I was skating when I learned them and started doing them all the time, but that was my experience.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2436 on: January 26, 2023, 03:45:55 PM »
What do you think? Could I get away with a Spitfire conical full wheel size of 58mm on a truck height of 50.675mm? 8 inch mini logos to be precise. I skate factory tightness and I plan on setting them up on a Welcome, Beauty on Atheme Deck 8.8".
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #2437 on: January 26, 2023, 03:50:27 PM »

I personally found thunders to work really well for slappy krooks. Although like manysnakes that’s what i learned them on so who knows. Venture lows too, they’ve got a great pinch. I find that for slappy krooks the smaller the truck the better (im on 7.75 trucks), because once you lock in, there’s less room for error. Idk I could be full of shit

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2438 on: January 26, 2023, 03:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thought so, I guess that's why they gave it away for free.

Another question: Why come that my decks and shoes almost always need replacing at the same time (with one pair of shoes lasting two decks)? I hate having a new deck and new shoes at the same time but this seems to happen inevitably.

Jessup in general is a lot thinner than most other griptape, as well as it sometimes moving on your board in too much heat, or the edges coming away a bit, but I am used to that and wouldn't ride anything else.

Even boards I had set up almost 20 years ago with Jessup still feel exactly the same, so I am stoked on it, as it never loses the grit and stays the same, but the grit is finer than others and a lot of people are not fans of Jessup in general for various reasons.

Any shop or grip can have issues, storage, longevity or other things.  Some old sheets I have just fell off their backing paper as they lost their stick, others are fine and no issues from the same age.

At one point some people were saying it was terrible and I think there was at least one bad batch where the grip would just come apart too easily when I was going to grip boards, but that was a fair while ago now.

As to the shoes and decks question, I think if you stagger your use, get some shoes to a point and put them away ready for a new board if you don't like the new shoes, new board feel, but other times, having that first very chilled week of new board new shoes to wear both in nicely then everything works better for the whole time.

Easier said than done sometimes, but I guess some planning ahead might work to your advantage.  I can't talk - too many shoes and boards so swap and change whenever, but I know when shoes are just perfectly good, a new board is way easier to skate too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2439 on: January 26, 2023, 05:57:59 PM »
What do you think? Could I get away with a Spitfire conical full wheel size of 58mm on a truck height of 50.675mm? 8 inch mini logos to be precise. I skate factory tightness and I plan on setting them up on a Welcome, Beauty on Atheme Deck 8.8".
How many risers you plan on stacking under those things?
Asking, on account of that sounds like wheelbite city to me, unless you’re planning on bolstering that truck height a bit.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2440 on: January 26, 2023, 06:08:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did my best slappy crooks with Ace Classics, I think. I don't know if that's because that's what I was skating when I learned them and started doing them all the time, but that was my experience.

Thunders for me. Venture grind is too slow/harsh and I have to push them more, Indy pinch isn't as good. But it's really nitpicking

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2441 on: January 26, 2023, 06:17:32 PM »

Well no, why the 8" trucks on the 8.8 deck? It might work on a 8" and below deck because of the concave.
If you meant to type 8.75 trucks, then I'm gonna say maybe.

The solution for any size: Grind wheel wells into the deck.

My gf rides 54mm on 8.38 mini logos on 8.25 without risers and it's crazy how there's absolutely no wheelbite when I ride her board, so 56mm would probably still work.

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #2442 on: January 26, 2023, 06:23:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Asking, on account of that sounds like wheelbite city to me, unless you’re planning on bolstering that truck height a bit.

Thank you for replying to my question. I have another question; What do you think would be the maximum size wheel I could pair with the mini-logos on a 1/8 riser. I'm 126 pounds 5'7 height so, like, a small-medium sized skater I guess.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2443 on: January 26, 2023, 06:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thank you for replying to my question. I have another question; What do you think would be the maximum size wheel I could pair with the mini-logos on a 1/8 riser. I'm 126 pounds 5'7 height so, like, a small-medium sized skater I guess.
Max maybe 56mm? 1/8th of an inch translates to just over 3mms so rounding ML trucks up to 51mm plus the 3mm for the risers puts you at 54. Indy signs off on 56mm wheels for their 55m high trucks but you sound pretty light.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2444 on: January 26, 2023, 06:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It is also down to bushing hardness / truck tightness.

There are people (who skate vert ramps) on 60mm wheels on lowish trucks and never wheelbite, but their bushings are more often on the harder side or there is almost zero turn to their trucks.

Not quite that much for any other more normal skate setup, but if you have tigher trucks or are very light on normal / stock bushings, you can get away with almost anything.

What I would say is set up your board how you want to first, then add a riser (or cut wheel wells) as needed, but don't just charge at whatever you usually do.  Feel it out and see what works or what doesn't work when you just roll or even standing on the spot and lean heel to toe and see if they touch easily or only when you really push down on one side or not at all.

I would only ever add risers if it was needed when I felt that there was too much wheelbite or not enough clearance, as I do starting with the super thin DIY rubber sheet risers for forged plates / lower trucks, or taller risers for other options, eg 2mm risers on normal Thunder trucks with bigger wheels as I am more used to Indy height and clearance, but it doesn't hurt to try a setup first and then add risers as needed afterwards, if you do have issues with clearance or wheelbite.

Might be too much info, but depending on what you have available, or how much effort it is to go somewhere to get risers, longer bolts, or whatever other things you need, start with 1" bolts if you think you need risers and then you can change up / add 1/8" in easily enough to that mix, without having to order something or make a trip to a shop.

Also if you have that as an existing setup and are getting bigger wheels, measure the wheels you have on the board now and then factor in the addition to see if you have more or less clearance than expected.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #2445 on: January 26, 2023, 06:56:10 PM »
I thought they were 47.5mm tall

I like riding risers because it gives more turning leverage on carves and makes rolling over things easier and smoother. I think I would like to try a 58mm wheel. If I need to rise the trucks up more I can do that but being only 8 inch I don't want to make them unstable. I will give it more thought. Thank you.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #2446 on: January 27, 2023, 08:06:00 AM »
why has vans jacked the price of half cabs up $15 in a little over a year?

when i first got into half cabs at the very end of 2021 they were $70, i just checked the vans website and now they're $85

fuck you vans

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2447 on: January 27, 2023, 08:09:12 AM »

when i first got into half cabs at the very end of 2021 they were $70, i just checked the vans website and now they're $85

fuck you vans
Because 2 years ago only people who knew how good a skate shoe the Halfcab was would buy it. Then Reynolds got on Vans and the pandemic happened and everyone who skated when they were 14 tried to get back into it and it became the trendy hot shoe. Everyone at the skate park has them now.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2448 on: January 27, 2023, 08:27:49 AM »
Expand Quote

fuck you vans
[close]
Because 2 years ago only people who knew how good a skate shoe the Halfcab was would buy it. Then Reynolds got on Vans and the pandemic happened and everyone who skated when they were 14 tried to get back into it and it became the trendy hot shoe. Everyone at the skate park has them now.

That super underground shoe, The Half Cab.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2449 on: January 27, 2023, 08:38:17 AM »
does anyone know of a pant like 874s that are 100% cotton?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2450 on: January 27, 2023, 08:51:23 AM »
does anyone know of a pant like 874s that are 100% cotton?

Not identical or anything, but Carhartt B11 are pretty similar.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2451 on: January 27, 2023, 11:30:33 AM »
has anyone ever done heelflip bs 5050 on a handrail that anyone can think of / has footage of?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2452 on: January 27, 2023, 12:30:25 PM »
has anyone ever done heelflip bs 5050 on a handrail that anyone can think of / has footage of?

Not a rail but hubba hideout comes to mind.  There’s gotta be one on a rail somewhere

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #2453 on: January 27, 2023, 01:21:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not a rail but hubba hideout comes to mind.  There’s gotta be one on a rail somewhere

That’s a Neen trick 100%. I feel like he did one in the newest Deathwish full length. Uncrossed I think?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2454 on: January 27, 2023, 01:45:32 PM »
yeah marcus mcbride heelflip bs 5050 hubba hideout lol i have seen so many variation like sw heel crook on handrail, nollie heel bs 5-0, heelflip fs 5-0 but cant find that one lol someone claiming to me its nbd . oh also manny did heel varial to 5050 and other variations too

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2455 on: January 27, 2023, 02:09:39 PM »
yeah marcus mcbride heelflip bs 5050 hubba hideout lol i have seen so many variation like sw heel crook on handrail, nollie heel bs 5-0, heelflip fs 5-0 but cant find that one lol someone claiming to me its nbd . oh also manny did heel varial to 5050 and other variations too

I'm almost positive tiago did a heelflip back 5050 on this one round rail in NYC but I dont remember which video its from

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
« Reply #2456 on: January 27, 2023, 07:27:20 PM »

I learned slappy crooks on Aces and I’m currently skating Ventures.  I actually think pinching them is easier on Ventures.  It (I think do to the geometry of the truck) feels like less effort to fully lock into crooks on Ventures and stay properly locked in.  Obviously Aces (especially the classics) have a bit of a smoother-feeling grind though. 

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2457 on: January 28, 2023, 02:04:28 AM »
Indys work fine for slappy crooks, can‘t compare it tho because that‘s all I run.

Other Q: I have new wheels,trucks and bearings. Should I set up a Christmas complete or set up the old deck first, considering the next deck is identical shape and also the wheels are the same (just new), trucks are 144 instead of 149 but both forged hollows? The deck is nearing the end of its lifespan but has a few sessions left.
why come?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2458 on: January 28, 2023, 04:45:42 AM »
Indys work fine for slappy crooks, can‘t compare it tho because that‘s all I run.

Other Q: I have new wheels,trucks and bearings. Should I set up a Christmas complete or set up the old deck first, considering the next deck is identical shape and also the wheels are the same (just new), trucks are 144 instead of 149 but both forged hollows? The deck is nearing the end of its lifespan but has a few sessions left.
Option B for me would be the one.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2459 on: January 28, 2023, 05:54:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Option B for me would be the one.

Cheers, that’s exactly what I did. Going to try out the set up now!
why come?