Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 207808 times)

hayduke lives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2460 on: January 28, 2023, 06:58:45 AM »
maybe this should go in the wheels thread but is there a shelf life on wheels? guessing not but wondering if it's time to start working through my stash. have a few sets i bought during covid panic that aren't my ideal so i've been keeping them on ice and buying my preferred size shape since i can.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2461 on: January 28, 2023, 08:19:34 AM »
maybe this should go in the wheels thread but is there a shelf life on wheels? guessing not but wondering if it's time to start working through my stash. have a few sets i bought during covid panic that aren't my ideal so i've been keeping them on ice and buying my preferred size shape since i can.

I wanna hear some other opinions but I’m rolling on pre formula change bones stfs at the moment, they are probably 4 years old and were sitting out of the packaging the whole time and skate fine now

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2462 on: January 28, 2023, 08:55:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wanna hear some other opinions but I’m rolling on pre formula change bones stfs at the moment, they are probably 4 years old and were sitting out of the packaging the whole time and skate fine now
As in literally? I knew someone years ago that had a ton of sets of wheels in their freezer because apparently it stopped them going bad. They may of mostly meant kept them white tho cos this was back when Spitfires turned completely yellow really quickly

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2463 on: January 28, 2023, 09:55:08 AM »
Dry aged Spitfires are tasty

roll_dog

« Reply #2464 on: January 28, 2023, 10:19:13 AM »
Has anyone used bones race reds in here? Curious if they make your board sound dead like when using regular spacers. I like the idea of not having to deal with washers when swapping wheels.

hayduke lives

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2465 on: January 28, 2023, 10:36:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

As in literally? I knew someone years ago that had a ton of sets of wheels in their freezer because apparently it stopped them going bad. They may of mostly meant kept them white tho cos this was back when Spitfires turned completely yellow really quickly
[close]

haha! nope, not literally. just in a drawer and passed over for a couple years cuz i'm overly picky :D

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2466 on: January 29, 2023, 04:40:27 AM »
What are ya all experiences with cupsole shoes bagging/stretching out a bit? DC Manteca in my case.

US 8 is comfy but feels a bit too long.
US 7.5 is perfect on my front foot (right) but a tiny bit too snug on my back foot.

I want my shoes to feel snug for skating but I am aware, that feet doctors would say too chose the slightly bigger size. But they usually don't do Varial Heelflips so...
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2467 on: January 29, 2023, 07:09:36 AM »
What are ya all experiences with cupsole shoes bagging/stretching out a bit? DC Manteca in my case.

US 7.5 is perfect on my front foot (right) but a tiny bit too snug on my back foot.

I want my shoes to feel snug for skating but I am aware, that feet doctors would say too chose the slightly bigger size. But they usually don't do Varial Heelflips so...

I'd go snug and walk around the house or use them as chillers for a few days, they usually break in just right by then. They will stretch out a bit more towards the end of the life, but I prefer a more secure fit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2468 on: January 29, 2023, 07:24:40 AM »
What are your favorite inexpensive decks? I’m looking to build a new setup but I’m broke. Thanks!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2469 on: January 29, 2023, 07:25:55 AM »
So I got 2 sheets of Reynolds shake junt grip. I walk into the garage and the board is hanging on the wall and grip came unpeeled and then gravity pulled it halfway down the board. I regripped with sheet 2 and same thing. Anyone have this issue with any grip ever? I can't think of a time I've had it just fall off.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2470 on: January 29, 2023, 08:56:55 AM »
What are your favorite inexpensive decks? I’m looking to build a new setup but I’m broke. Thanks!

Take a look at 303 Boards, they have 25% off most of the site with decks at $43 before the discount.

Dwindle (Thank You Supply) has Resin 7 decks for under $30 too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2471 on: January 29, 2023, 09:45:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd go snug and walk around the house or use them as chillers for a few days, they usually break in just right by then. They will stretch out a bit more towards the end of the life, but I prefer a more secure fit.

Thanks mate and have a gnar.
IG: @flowterspace

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2472 on: January 29, 2023, 11:59:01 AM »
Has anyone used bones race reds in here? Curious if they make your board sound dead like when using regular spacers. I like the idea of not having to deal with washers when swapping wheels.

I really enjoy these. Some people like to tighten the nut against them (I think they’re geared for downhillers/longboarders and such), which probably does make them sound a little dead, but I think they have a typical clickity-clack as long as you leave the normal wiggle room on the axle.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #2473 on: January 30, 2023, 12:07:30 AM »
Classic one; how do i upload normal sizes pics and not have them thumbnail small?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2474 on: January 30, 2023, 01:52:47 AM »
Classic one; how do i upload normal sizes pics and not have them thumbnail small?

I use imgur
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #2475 on: January 30, 2023, 02:02:29 AM »

I upload it on imgbb.com, click on the image until you get the URL with .jpg in there and then place that between [img] tags.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 95
« Reply #2476 on: January 30, 2023, 06:26:10 AM »
So I do a lot of noseslides. I tend to wear the baseplate to the pivot cup after about six months. Saved the back baseplate from my last set to switch em out. Before the madness sets in, any tips for switching out pivot cups? Haven’t done it since I was a kid and I remember it being a nightmare but don’t wanna sacrifice my turn. Should I just buy aftermarket?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2477 on: January 30, 2023, 06:49:28 AM »
So I do a lot of noseslides. I tend to wear the baseplate to the pivot cup after about six months. Saved the back baseplate from my last set to switch em out. Before the madness sets in, any tips for switching out pivot cups? Haven’t done it since I was a kid and I remember it being a nightmare but don’t wanna sacrifice my turn. Should I just buy aftermarket?
Get a flat head screw driver and go at it from an angle and it should pop out.

Sammich

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2478 on: January 30, 2023, 09:41:15 AM »
Anyone know if the new Vans Zahbas are actual cupsoles? Not like the Crocketts that are heel cup, front vulc? Tore my PCL last year and my vulc time has probably come to an end

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #2479 on: January 30, 2023, 10:09:21 AM »

Tactics shop decks are high quality BBS models. There are frequent sales where they come out to like ~$30 each with a sheet of grip, and they do free shipping at $60, so if you can afford two it saves you quite a bit on that end.

Keep an eye on the sale thread, too.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2480 on: January 30, 2023, 11:36:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tactics shop decks are high quality BBS models. There are frequent sales where they come out to like ~$30 each with a sheet of grip, and they do free shipping at $60, so if you can afford two it saves you quite a bit on that end.

Keep an eye on the sale thread, too.
303 has a 25% sale that applies to sale decks that are also BBS. It’s about $34 for a deck and sheet of Jessup shipped. I like PS Stix boards for two weeks and hate them after that. If you like them and are willing to take the time to sand them, or paint over them, Pizza boards are $25 on The Drop. There’s 20% off perpetually but I don’t know how much grip/shipping costs.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2481 on: January 31, 2023, 06:12:05 AM »
has anyone here ever been to Tampa Pro before? My friend is going and he was wondering if there is any deals to buy skateboard gear there at the contest, and what the prices are like (any deals? or is it same as going to skate shop?) im guessing something like spitfires or dragon wheels there is never any deal on lol always paying full price?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2482 on: January 31, 2023, 07:13:23 AM »
has anyone here ever been to Tampa Pro before? My friend is going and he was wondering if there is any deals to buy skateboard gear there at the contest, and what the prices are like (any deals? or is it same as going to skate shop?) im guessing something like spitfires or dragon wheels there is never any deal on lol always paying full price?

Whatever is listed as "on sale" on their site is about it. The sponsors used to set up tents in the back and give out promo stuff, not sure if they still do that. Might catch a pro giving out stuff they don't want to fly home with.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2483 on: January 31, 2023, 09:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whatever is listed as "on sale" on their site is about it. The sponsors used to set up tents in the back and give out promo stuff, not sure if they still do that. Might catch a pro giving out stuff they don't want to fly home with.

thanks. basically if anyone cares - you could save maybe $5-10 CAD on wheels / shoes for the most part
if you are willing to look through the weird shapes / sizes, you could probably save $30-40 CAD on a deck.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #2484 on: January 31, 2023, 12:01:18 PM »

Hated them, I didn't find anything special of having the spacers bulit in vs regular ones and they lasted a few months.

Also once one get broke it's weird to put another regular one with the race bearing.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #2485 on: January 31, 2023, 12:09:03 PM »
Anyone know what's up with this new Shake Junt "Black Onyx" grip? Is it just a deeper black color? Different grit? No other info available besides the "new formula" label, and it's available thru SoCal.  I imagine more info will come out once the Spring '23 catalog is officially released
https://socalskateshop.com/Shake-Junt-Black-Onyx-Skateboard-Griptape-Black-9x33.html

badger.

« Reply #2486 on: January 31, 2023, 11:27:30 PM »
I rolled the shit out of my ankle 2 months ago, and am looking at another 2 months of physio before I'll be skating again.

I plan on wearing a Bauerfeind ankle brace when get back into it, but I'm not sure whether I should be looking at a cupsole shoe for the extra support, or a vulc for the thinner sole (I've seen it suggested that a thinner sole means you're less likely to roll your ankle, which makes sense).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Either on the general question, or for specific shoes.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:40:57 PM by badger. »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2487 on: February 01, 2023, 12:39:47 AM »
I've fucked my ankles in both cup / vulc, maybe others can speak more about heel lift and getting a secure fit.

More important than shoes is the rehab, strength and conditioning you do in your off time to speed up the recovery and reduce the impact of the next injury. Get some ankle bands and get those ankle flicks in, check out Dr Kyle Brown on Insta too for the exercises.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

badger.

« Reply #2488 on: February 01, 2023, 01:02:37 AM »
Thanks, rocklobster. Yeah, I'm taking the rehab seriously, doing all that I can to build up strength and stability. Just want to do whatever I can to reduce the chance of it happening again.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2489 on: February 01, 2023, 03:26:04 AM »
Best of luck with your recovery! I worked as an athletic performance coach for 5+ years, so I'm throwing in my 2 cents.
Proper recovery and continued strength training are indeed by far the most important things you can do for you ankle. But the reality of the matter is that rolled ankles are by far the most common sports-related injury, and there's simply no way to completely prevent them unless you plan on skating in ski boots. If the forces that supinate (="roll") your ankle are high enough to damage tissue, they won't be stopped or even mitigated by flexible braces or high tops.
There are a lot of wannabe experts and self-proclaimed gurus in the fitness and rehab space who claim to have figured it all out, but the data clearly demonstrates that injuries simply happen and there's little we can do about that. Research on the influence of footwear on injury occurrences in various sports reliably shows that there are no significant differences between different types of shoes, e.g. flat vs. [slightly] elevated heel, hard vs. soft sole, low top vs. high top etc. Of course that doesn't mean that you should go skating in high heels or plateau boots, but in regards to "normal" skate shoes, you can choose what you're most comfortable with. If that's a high top cupsole plus an ankle brace, go for it, but it's not necessary. You can just as well go with a slip-on vulc if that's more to your liking.

tl;dr: Wear what provides you the most comfort and confidence. It's all up to personal preference, there is no "best" shoe to prevent rolling an ankle.