Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202051 times)

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
questions that don't deserve their own thread
« on: January 14, 2022, 07:20:50 PM »
figured there could be a thread for gear questions that you need answers to, but shouldn't have a thread of their own.

for mine, does the waxedness of a curb affect how much it grinds away at your trucks? will a buttery curb do less than a sketchy rougher one?
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 08:18:23 AM »
figured there could be a thread for gear questions that you need answers to, but shouldn't have a thread of their own.

for mine, does the waxedness of a curb affect how much it grinds away at your trucks? will a buttery curb do less than a sketchy rougher one?

Yes, the more waxed it is the more your truck will glide instead of grind if that makes any sense. Rougher curbs will wear away your truck faster.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »
Nice thread...

Is there any value in using FP Gamechangers in cupsole shoes that already have a decent midsole? Skip them or go with the thinner FP in the cup for best of both worlds?
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »
Nice thread...

Is there any value in using FP Gamechangers in cupsole shoes that already have a decent midsole? Skip them or go with the thinner FP in the cup for best of both worlds?

It may be overkill.
The biggest issue is how much higher your foot is because you may roll your ankle.

Follow up, does anyone know of bags like this?
https://www.nixon.com/us/en/escape-35l-duffel/C3034-3387-00.html
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 07:00:48 PM »
What's the best way to clean your wheels (F4's specifically)? As an insane and OCD person I just hate the way they look this time of year. Will water fuck up the urethane if I ran it under the tap for 20 seconds and dried with a towel or should I just hit it with a wet rag?

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 07:08:09 PM »
I can’t wait to remember all the random questions I can never find answers to, because I love this thread.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 11:18:21 PM »
What's the best way to clean your wheels (F4's specifically)? As an insane and OCD person I just hate the way they look this time of year. Will water fuck up the urethane if I ran it under the tap for 20 seconds and dried with a towel or should I just hit it with a wet rag?
Ride over brushed concrete. The rougher surface takes the grime off wheels
fuck you bama

Fat Tony

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 06:19:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Nice thread...

[close]

It may be overkill.
The biggest issue is how much higher your foot is because you may roll your ankle.

I like putting them in shoes with the tech in the sole or midsole as opposed to all the cushioning being from the insole. That way you have both. I use them in my NB 1010s and nyjahs. But probably wouldn’t in Bruin reacts or the new ishods where all the cushioning comes from the insoles. 

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 07:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ride over brushed concrete. The rougher surface takes the grime off wheels

I wish I could but all of our concrete is covered in salt this time of year :'(

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nice thread...

[close]

It may be overkill.

[close]

I like putting them in shoes with the tech in the sole or midsole as opposed to all the cushioning being from the insole. That way you have both. I use them in my NB 1010s and nyjahs. But probably wouldn’t in Bruin reacts or the new ishods where all the cushioning comes from the insoles.

I do the opposite. Can't rock them in 1010's, even the 3mm's. It's just too much between the deck and my foot. Do like them in thin cups like vans wafflecup/440hi and all vulcs.

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 08:18:12 AM »

if you’ve gotta garage do a bunch of powerslides there. indoor parking lots n skate parks work too

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 08:23:38 AM »
Nice thread...

Could just be me but I find a supportive insole to be much more important than the midsole in terms of actually feeling good. A vulc with a good insole feels more supportive to me than a cupsole with a bad insole.

So in short, idk, if you don't like your insoles, go for it.

flintstagram

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 09:20:44 AM »

You can clean them with anything as long as it’s fairly mild. I’ve cleaned my wheels with just a wash rag and warm water when they had grime all over them from an indoor park. You can use dish soap or something if you’re really concerned. If you’re worried about things being wet, pop out your bearings and make sure your wheels are dry before you put them back in.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 09:21:03 AM »

A “dry” way of cleaning may be 400 grit sandpaper. Rub that all over to shine them up. You may need to go higher, say 600 or 800 grit depending on your preference

I doubt water would hurt them but maybe don’t submerge the wheels and use a wet cloth. All purpose cleaner/mild degreaser should do the trick as well

Get a metal polish on your trucks while you’re at it and watch them shine!

flintstagram

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 09:25:55 AM »
Nice thread...

Yes, there is value. I’ve got old ass feet (I’m 37). I love fp insoles in all of my cupsoles. My go to for a long time has been emerica Reynolds G6 cups with the 7mm fp insoles. Lately I’ve been skating nb# 440s, and I plan to try some 1010s, but typically my fp insoles always move to my shoes, even if they aren’t the shoes I’m currently skating.

With that said, I’ve got some 1010s that I’ve been wearing to work everyday, and they’re the first shoes I’ve had in a long time that I’ve just been rocking the insoles that came in them. 1010s might be the perfect shoe, time will tell once I skate them.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 03:29:16 PM »
I’m curious what the maximum wheel size/width people use for their trucks?

I thought those 57mm Radial Fulls would be crazy on 149’s. I wasn’t wrong but I kind of like it.

realbasedgod112

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 05:33:29 PM »

I thought those 57mm Radial Fulls would be crazy on 149’s. I wasn’t wrong but I kind of like it.

149 of what brand? I rode 56mm bones v6 on my thunders with wheel wells and it turned out alright, but i couldn't imagine doing it with a normal deck.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 05:56:45 PM »
Where do you get the right size drum sanding bit to make your own wheel wells that don’t look super sloppy?
I fucked up today
fuck you bama

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 05:57:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

149 of what brand? I rode 56mm bones v6 on my thunders with wheel wells and it turned out alright, but i couldn't imagine doing it with a normal deck.

Lurpiv 149 on an 8.5 with wheel wells. I also tried on a setup that has Indy 149 with cast plates but I like the 56 NFG Vee’s better on that one because that deck tapers a lot.

Edit: thanks thats the type of info I was getting at. mostly I’m mostly just curious (for no real reason) about what people prefer: Big wheels small trucks , tiny wheels big trucks, 8.5 trucks with 58mm wheels? Nothing above 54mm on x brand 8.5 trucks?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:10:24 PM by DeepSpace9mm »

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 06:37:54 PM »
What has Robbie Russo been up to

nothing's been the since same

flintstagram

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 07:05:32 PM »

I rock 56mm formula 4 OG classics with thunder 151s (8.75” axle), on an 8.5 board. I get wheelbite, but I fucking love it.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 05:47:49 AM »
What are the best skate shops out there for searching decks by specific widths, lengths, and wheelbases? Right now I use Skate Warehouse, Tactics and OCD Skate Shop but there has to be more/better options out there.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 06:52:46 AM »
What are the best skate shops out there for searching decks by specific widths, lengths, and wheelbases? Right now I use Skate Warehouse, Tactics and OCD Skate Shop but there has to be more/better options out there.

skatedeluxe is great for that kind of information

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:56 AM »
Basement skate from AU is good too
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 02:26:43 PM »
I’ll tell ya one to watch out for…SoCal. Their wrong dimensions have screwed me a few times.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:16:30 PM by FUBAR »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »
Can someone explain to me why the Nike dunk is so in demand? I’m completely at a loss when it comes to this hypebeast culture - WTF is going on?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2022, 07:31:13 PM »
Can someone explain to me why the Nike dunk is so in demand? I’m completely at a loss when it comes to this hypebeast culture - WTF is going on?

They looked cool about 15 years ago when cool skaters started skating them so skaters wanted them and bought them. Hypebeasts are despicable cultural parasites who can’t skate, loathe themselves for it, and outnumber actual skateboarders by several times, so they started buying them in huge numbers to compensate for their basic failure as actual skateboarders. Nike saw that they were effortlessly selling out runs of dunks, so they broke up their dunk production into lots of smaller drops to generate artificial scarcity and guarantee every run would sell out.

Dunks should be outlawed. I respect and appreciate skateboarders no matter what’s on their feet (mostly, Cariuma is becoming a problem). So nothing against anyone who skates them, but Nike is genuinely abominable in every dimension of its business practices, no matter how hyped skaters might get on the shoes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:39:41 PM by Mr. Stinky »

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2022, 09:06:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They looked cool about 15 years ago when cool skaters started skating them so skaters wanted them and bought them. Hypebeasts are despicable cultural parasites who can’t skate, loathe themselves for it, and outnumber actual skateboarders by several times, so they started buying them in huge numbers to compensate for their basic failure as actual skateboarders. Nike saw that they were effortlessly selling out runs of dunks, so they broke up their dunk production into lots of smaller drops to generate artificial scarcity and guarantee every run would sell out.

Dunks should be outlawed. I respect and appreciate skateboarders no matter what’s on their feet (mostly, Cariuma is becoming a problem). So nothing against anyone who skates them, but Nike is genuinely abominable in every dimension of its business practices, no matter how hyped skaters might get on the shoes.
Also, Travis Scott had his own colorway and started wearing the classic pairs.  That had a lot of people jumping on the follow train.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Also, Travis Scott had his own colorway and started wearing the classic pairs.  That had a lot of people jumping on the follow train.

Gonna kook it and admit I have no idea who Travis Scott is, but I believe you.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2022, 10:25:28 PM »
Are any of these shoes THAT special? Is like asking a skater…..do you guys ever land anything? 

Yes….but no.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2022, 11:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Gonna kook it and admit I have no idea who Travis Scott is, but I believe you.
There's also the timing with the 15 years cycle. It's also basically what Nike have done with Jordans for the last 3 decades. I'd like to know how many new dunk guys even know who Lewis Marnell is.