Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202160 times)

Paul Cicero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2022, 12:07:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Can someone explain to me why the Nike dunk is so in demand? I’m completely at a loss when it comes to this hypebeast culture - WTF is going on?
[close]

They looked cool about 15 years ago when cool skaters started skating them so skaters wanted them and bought them. Hypebeasts are despicable cultural parasites who can’t skate, loathe themselves for it, and outnumber actual skateboarders by several times, so they started buying them in huge numbers to compensate for their basic failure as actual skateboarders. Nike saw that they were effortlessly selling out runs of dunks, so they broke up their dunk production into lots of smaller drops to generate artificial scarcity and guarantee every run would sell out.

Dunks should be outlawed. I respect and appreciate skateboarders no matter what’s on their feet (mostly, Cariuma is becoming a problem). So nothing against anyone who skates them, but Nike is genuinely abominable in every dimension of its business practices, no matter how hyped skaters might get on the shoes.

Thanks Mr Stinky. Probably another stupid question - but are dunks the ones with the strap that Louie Marnell rocked?

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2022, 02:00:57 AM »
What are the best skate shops out there for searching decks by specific widths, lengths, and wheelbases? Right now I use Skate Warehouse, Tactics and OCD Skate Shop but there has to be more/better options out there.

Skatedeluxe.com lists dimensions and you can search/ filter. You can atleast use that to know what a certain board's dimensions are and buy it elsewhere.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2022, 04:11:09 AM »
What has Robbie Russo been up to

Still skating and getting it. Living his best life.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2022, 04:19:14 AM »
What are the best skate shops out there for searching decks by specific widths, lengths, and wheelbases? Right now I use Skate Warehouse, Tactics and OCD Skate Shop but there has to be more/better options out there.

Southside skate shop in Houston usually lists length. Zumiez is good for top pics if you're trying to  figure out the woodshop.

Some of the best ones are actually Japanese shops. Rf skate is my favourite, you have to use Google translate but it's easy enough to navigate. They take detailed pics and actually measure every deck (in cm so it's even more accurate) and lay the deck on top of a krooked board so you can see how flat or steep it is in comparison. Hell, they even measure concave. It's heaven for mentally ill gear nerds. There's a couple other sites that take similar pics but rf has a huge selection, updates it fairly often, and leave the old ones up for a while after they sell out so you can still use it for reference.

https://r-fskate.com/shopbrand/deck/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2022, 07:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Southside skate shop in Houston usually lists length. Zumiez is good for top pics if you're trying to  figure out the woodshop.

Some of the best ones are actually Japanese shops. Rf skate is my favourite, you have to use Google translate but it's easy enough to navigate. They take detailed pics and actually measure every deck (in cm so it's even more accurate) and lay the deck on top of a krooked board so you can see how flat or steep it is in comparison. Hell, they even measure concave. It's heaven for mentally ill gear nerds. There's a couple other sites that take similar pics but rf has a huge selection, updates it fairly often, and leave the old ones up for a while after they sell out so you can still use it for reference.

https://r-fskate.com/shopdetail/000000004455/tr_independent/page1/order/

Even wheelbase on trucks, albeit only the major brands, Krux, Royal (old stuff) and Ace. And I question the accuracy, Indy 144 Std adds 3.22835"? I thought it was 3".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2022, 08:44:25 AM »
Can someone explain to me why the Nike dunk is so in demand? I’m completely at a loss when it comes to this hypebeast culture - WTF is going on?

It's a pretty interesting story and this video sums it up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oYObzrvxAE

TLDW after Nike failed to get into the skateboard market, they hired Sandy Bodecker in which he planned and executed an insanely successful marketing campaign:

- Make shoes exclusive to skateshops
- No mass production (artificial scarcity)
- No generic shoe releases

Dunks were reintroduced and redesigned for skateboarding instead of creating an entirely new model. Nike sponsored at the time underground skaters which helped make Nike more established. Thoughtful Dunk collabs (ie Supreme, Stussy, Diamond, Chocolate, etc) were made which got sneakerheads interested and the hype just skyrocketed.

It's at the point where Nike can literally shit out any colorway and it'll sell immediately.

Regardless of your opinion on Dunks, skateshops kinda need to keep selling Dunks because it's a guarantee sell on release date which is great for shops that do need the money. I'm personally over it especially after the Travis Scott dunk shit. Working at my shop after that collab was announced hell because sneakerheads kept calling and coming in the shop asking in the most rude way if we were going to stock those dunks (same thing happened when Oski's dunks were announced).

Honestly you aren't missing anything being out of the loop on dunks, which is good.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2022, 09:41:43 AM »

https://www.slamcity.com/

Great pics to help with shape choice as well.

SPoT
https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/cz.aspx?ID=1

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2022, 06:46:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They looked cool about 15 years ago when cool skaters started skating them so skaters wanted them and bought them. Hypebeasts are despicable cultural parasites who can’t skate, loathe themselves for it, and outnumber actual skateboarders by several times, so they started buying them in huge numbers to compensate for their basic failure as actual skateboarders. Nike saw that they were effortlessly selling out runs of dunks, so they broke up their dunk production into lots of smaller drops to generate artificial scarcity and guarantee every run would sell out.

Dunks should be outlawed. I respect and appreciate skateboarders no matter what’s on their feet (mostly, Cariuma is becoming a problem). So nothing against anyone who skates them, but Nike is genuinely abominable in every dimension of its business practices, no matter how hyped skaters might get on the shoes.
[close]
Also, Travis Scott had his own colorway and started wearing the classic pairs.  That had a lot of people jumping on the follow train.
[close]

Gonna kook it and admit I have no idea who Travis Scott is, but I believe you.

damn i’m surprised you’ve never heard of him. he was make headlines a few months back after 10 people died at his music festival

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2022, 07:08:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's a pretty interesting story and this video sums it up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oYObzrvxAE

TLDW after Nike failed to get into the skateboard market, they hired Sandy Bodecker in which he planned and executed an insanely successful marketing campaign:

- Make shoes exclusive to skateshops
- No mass production (artificial scarcity)
- No generic shoe releases

Dunks were reintroduced and redesigned for skateboarding instead of creating an entirely new model. Nike sponsored at the time underground skaters which helped make Nike more established. Thoughtful Dunk collabs (ie Supreme, Stussy, Diamond, Chocolate, etc) were made which got sneakerheads interested and the hype just skyrocketed.

It's at the point where Nike can literally shit out any colorway and it'll sell immediately.

Regardless of your opinion on Dunks, skateshops kinda need to keep selling Dunks because it's a guarantee sell on release date which is great for shops that do need the money. I'm personally over it especially after the Travis Scott dunk shit. Working at my shop after that collab was announced hell because sneakerheads kept calling and coming in the shop asking in the most rude way if we were going to stock those dunks (same thing happened when Oski's dunks were announced).

Honestly you aren't missing anything being out of the loop on dunks, which is good.

Fascinating that Peter Moore was majorly involved, he's been such a player in the Video Game industry for so long.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2022, 11:33:02 AM »
Socal Skate are also pretty good for this https://socalskateshop.com/

Edit: Oh damn, apparently not
I’ll tell ya one to watch out for…SoCal. Their wrong dimensions have screwed me a few times.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:48:07 AM by TracersOnlyfans »

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2022, 12:56:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Nice thread...

Is there any value in using FP Gamechangers in cupsole shoes that already have a decent midsole? Skip them or go with the thinner FP in the cup for best of both worlds?
[close]

Yes, there is value. I’ve got old ass feet (I’m 37). I love fp insoles in all of my cupsoles. My go to for a long time has been emerica Reynolds G6 cups with the 7mm fp insoles. Lately I’ve been skating nb# 440s, and I plan to try some 1010s, but typically my fp insoles always move to my shoes, even if they aren’t the shoes I’m currently skating.

With that said, I’ve got some 1010s that I’ve been wearing to work everyday, and they’re the first shoes I’ve had in a long time that I’ve just been rocking the insoles that came in them. 1010s might be the perfect shoe, time will tell once I skate them.

I have planters and can skate for hours in 1010s with the original insole. Only show I can do that in

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2022, 02:45:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haven’t seen a part in a min. I was thinking about his beauty and the beast footage the other day. Lurked his IG seems to be consistently skating. Would be cool to see a part sometime

nothing's been the since same

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2022, 02:52:58 PM »
Nice thread...

Is there any value in using FP Gamechangers in cupsole shoes that already have a decent midsole? Skip them or go with the thinner FP in the cup for best of both worlds?

If you have a tendency to roll your ankles, maybe be wary as it makes your foot sit higher in the shoe if the stock insole is paper thin (and the arch support may push your feet outwards a little too), especially if the shoe isn't particularly stable or structured.

If it feels secure and you're not an ankle roller, knock on wood and go ahead. Super comfortable.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Nice thread...

[close]

If you have a tendency to roll your ankles, maybe be wary as it makes your foot sit higher in the shoe if the stock insole is paper thin (and the arch support may push your feet outwards a little too), especially if the shoe isn't particularly stable or structured.

If it feels secure and you're not an ankle roller, knock on wood and go ahead. Super comfortable.

Depending on how flat your feet / how much your arch has collapsed, FP Gamechangers may not be a good fit for you. I've had very flat feet for years and developed bunions and very prone to ankle rolls even jogging or walking on flat surfaces.

For flat feet you really want sturdy arch support to elevate and correct the arch. I recommend something stiffer with a TPU insert like the Superfeet Carbon / Copper. Those have been a real game changer for me, only had minor ankle rolls when coupled with a brace, and even when it does happen I'm good after a 10 minute break.

FP provide more cushion than support, the latter of which is more important for preventing ankle sprains. I've tried gel insoles that claim to support the arch (bungle upwards in the middle) but they flattened out and didn't elevate the arch sufficiently.

TLDR: get a more rigid one from a reputable brand (Soul, Superfeet) if you have flat feet and need arch support.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2022, 05:44:55 PM »
whats the durometer for bushings that are on the Venture hollow lights?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haven’t seen a part in a min. I was thinking about his beauty and the beast footage the other day. Lurked his IG seems to be consistently skating. Would be cool to see a part sometime

I haven’t either and I’m bummed on it. I remember skating with him around that era (more so watching him and Ronnie and being really fucking bummed at how he was clearly better than I ever would be). But his duets part with Ronnie is among my all time favorites. I think he’s going to a technical school, that’s at least my guess.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Taraval

• Rep: 28
  • :p
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 07:10:32 PM »
My filmer bag kind of went to shit. Does anyone have a camera bag they swear by? For a Panasonic hvx
😶

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 07:37:20 PM »

90a

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2022, 09:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can't believe someone mentioned my local shop on here!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2022, 09:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

90a

It is funny how the big three - Indy, Thunder and Venture - all now have the 90 duro bushings as their stock product, as they were quite different and mostly harder in the past.

What is also strange is even though they are all supposed to be the same, some different colours seem harder / softer.

Anyone else seem like this is the case too?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2022, 09:38:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Given we are almost global in member base, I think it is fair to say that lots of shops would get a mention, but there are more likely to be more mentions of the really good shops, (or bad) for various reasons.

Their board information is amazing though, so it is good to give them more recognition and hopefully a few more customers as well.

What is the shop setup like to go in to as the pics look crazily cramped?

From the bottom of their pages:

This site "R-F SKATE" is
a skateboard mail order site sent out by the strange shop "Tatsumiya" which sells skateboards for about 20 years in an old stationery shop, close to Komazawa Park, one of the famous skate parks near Tokyo.

about tatsumiya

1-11-18 yakumo, meguro-ku, tokyo / 03-3723-4288

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2022, 10:07:08 PM »
How do you guys calculate shipping prices for what you sell on the classifieds? Got a number of boards I’d like to sell, but wondering how to accurately price shipping. Also, for people who ship boards, do you just reuse other boxes or is there a preferred size to use for shipping?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2022, 02:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Which one? If you mean RF is your local then please, please go buy them a case of beer or bag of weed and then send me your PayPal so I can reimburse you. I've used their site to make a decision on whether or not to buy a board so many times. It's really the next best thing to physically going to a shop. I wish everyone did the pics with a reference board thing.

If it's southside i emailed them once to ask what the stack stamp on a dlx deck was and they started like questioning why I wanted to know that and then trying to tell me that it didn't matter because dlx decks weren't steep (they are) and PS decks are steeper because FA (they're not, and FA had been purely bbs for over a year at this point) and shit like that. So if they're your local go pour saltwater in the owners bearings or something.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2022, 05:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Which one? If you mean RF is your local then please, please go buy them a case of beer or bag of weed and then send me your PayPal so I can reimburse you. I've used their site to make a decision on whether or not to buy a board so many times. It's really the next best thing to physically going to a shop. I wish everyone did the pics with a reference board thing.

If it's southside i emailed them once to ask what the stack stamp on a dlx deck was and they started like questioning why I wanted to know that and then trying to tell me that it didn't matter because dlx decks weren't steep (they are) and PS decks are steeper because FA (they're not, and FA had been purely bbs for over a year at this point) and shit like that. So if they're your local go pour saltwater in the owners bearings or something.

I’ve ordered from R-F several times, always great service (they used to send a free burned DVD with each order).

But with Japan’s drug laws, beer is a way safer choice than tipping them with weed. For everyone involved.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2022, 09:29:53 AM »
How do you guys calculate shipping prices for what you sell on the classifieds? Got a number of boards I’d like to sell, but wondering how to accurately price shipping. Also, for people who ship boards, do you just reuse other boxes or is there a preferred size to use for shipping?

I take a wild ass guess on shipping, and add it to the price, so instead of $30 and whatever shipping is, I’ll just throw out $38 shipped or whatever. I usually underestimate shipping, but if it’s stuff I don’t want anymore, and I already spent money on, making back some money is better than no money.

I usually try to reuse board boxes I’ve gotten from other places. If you have the dimensions and weight, you can get prices from usps and/or ups before anyone pays you if they tell you the zip code.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2022, 10:14:24 AM »
Usps is cheaper than most of the time.

Be aware of flat rate boxes

Minimize packaging. Take the trucks apart if they’ll fit in a smaller box.

kelbywest

• Rep: 3
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2022, 10:48:20 AM »

You can take the weight/dims of the box(es) you use and use that info to research the cheapest way to ship. I use Paypal almost every time I sell something and it's cheaper than going to the post office in person. You can enter all the info on there and it will calculate everything + create the label for you to print.

Last deck I shipped was in a 33x8x5.5 box and it weighed about 3 lbs. Shipped it from PA-NC for about $8 to give you an idea (USPS ground)

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
- Has Nike or Adidas ever reissued an old skate model?

- For the people in the know, is it reasonable to expect that they would ever do that?

- What I'm really trying to say is: am I fool for hoping Nike brings back the Koston 1?

- Is money really the only thing that is considered when deciding who gets a pro model?

- Was the Adidas Suciu II really not profitable enough to produce throughout his SOTY year?

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2022, 11:17:05 AM »
- Has Nike or Adidas ever reissued an old skate model?

- For the people in the know, is it reasonable to expect that they would ever do that?

- What I'm really trying to say is: am I fool for hoping Nike brings back the Koston 1?

- Is money really the only thing that is considered when deciding who gets a pro model?

- Was the Adidas Suciu II really not profitable enough to produce throughout his SOTY year?

nike reissued the p-rod 1, adidas reissued the o'reardon from 1996 or 97 and thanks to @Sk.A.T.A.N they have the adimatic lined up next. the p-rod 1 came out for the 10th anniversary of its first drop, koston's 10th anniversary was last year soooo...
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2022, 11:44:06 AM »

The Koston 1 was literally made to promote Nikes Lunarion insole. I doubt they would ever re-release it considering Nike phased out all their lunarion shoes for the React insole and the Bruins React are almost the same exact shoe.